Author Topic: Want some planet data?  (Read 3035 times)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
Want some planet data?
« on: 23 August 2011, 21:30:26 »
I've created 2 PDFs, both too large for the site (569k and 380k, go figure) that contain enough to play out any IO campaign ;)

Link is at http://www.cooltexan.com/PlanetData.zip

The first file:
Contains all the planet names, their coordinates, the stars in system, position and total # of planets, recharge/transit time, moons, gravity, atmosphere, water, temperature, climate, life, recharge stations, HPG, SIL, and population in 3079.

and the second file:
This one takes the above file, and extends it, so it gives you the random terrain/weather/environment tables to use when fighting it out on that planet!

All systems were generated with the explorer corps rules, with canon data where possible.

Now, what the colors mean:
red = a conflict, usually this was because explorer corps didn't allow a habitable planet in a system with those kinda stars at the position it listed.  I hard-coded the number of planets in that system to the habitable position, and marked them in red.

green = this was data I generated, because I could find no canon data for it.

Yellow = These were things in the books I wasn't 100% sure of, only a couple.

If uncolored the data is actually from some published source somewhere, usually the various house books and field manuals.

Population was extrapolated based on the average and breakdown for the 123 listed 3079 populations.  SIL was created based on the range of letters for each code.

MANY of these systems (hundreds) are not actually inhabited in 3079.  I wrote these more as something to use as a guide for *any* timeframe, than a particular time.

Recharge is based on the star type, I used that calculation instead of anything printed (they nearly always lined up), transit time was the same situation.

I can make things like this in minutes (milliseconds if I ignore canon data), hopefully one of more of you find a use for it.

If the links don't work for you your ISP/Browser may not want to do redirects (they work for me in chrome/firefox/IE), try replacing "www.cooltexan.com" with "goodsects.gotdns.com" or even "64.202.189.170" for today.

Feedback is great!
« Last Edit: 23 August 2011, 21:34:31 by Bad_Syntax »
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Ladob

• Sergeant
Re: Want some planet data?
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2011, 09:41:27 »
Great work there mate. Do you have excel or tabbed stuff from that info? I could work it out on my perl program and generate a mekwars map which would be as near canon as possible according to your sources.
Change, even for the worse

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2011, 10:00:39 »
That is awesome, nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2011, 11:13:47 »
 [applause]

Great release, Bad_Syntax. You've received my feedback from earlier discussions, but when I can download these (DON "cutting edge technology" computer issues here prevent it), I will and review then.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2011, 11:34:05 »
You wouldn't have these in an excel format would you?

Nice work!

Davout
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

BrotherofRandis

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2011, 15:01:37 »
Absolutely awesome job!  These will come in very handy for our Against the Bot campaigns.   [notworthy]

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2011, 17:15:21 »
Well I *had* it in excel, but deleted it soon as I printed to PDF as it was so easy to recreate :)

I also had wrote, in excel, all the code to generate all the planets, not just the homeworld.  I was going to attach the file, but the stupid 256k limits are too small.  Instead here is a link to a zip with the xlsx file with all the formulas, including the single line version I used in the previous files.  http://www.cooltexan.com/SystemGen.zip

However, I didn't include the code for population or SIL, as I kinda did those up on the fly and they weren't canon anyway.

This should allow you to *very* quickly make thousands of your own systems, using 100% Explorer Corps rules (I am pretty sure IO updates them, but as it aint out yet....).

And thanks for all the positive feedback!
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2011, 08:25:58 »
These files are now deprecated, as I've made a dozen or so changes to system coordinates since I made them.

If you want new ones, download the systemgen and make them, or shoot me a PM and I'll create a new one for you.
Battletech Engineer

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2011, 16:27:01 »
Where is this info from? I have difficulty believing a backwater like Aberystwyth has five billion people on it...

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2011, 16:31:05 »
Where is this info from? I have difficulty believing a backwater like Aberystwyth has five billion people on it...

As stated in the first post, if the data is green, it was generated and then in his post two above your's, he explains the pop data was generated through his own non-canon methods.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2011, 16:32:48 »

As stated in the first post, if the data is green, it was generated and then in his post two above your's, he explains the pop data was generated through his own non-canon methods.
Sorry, kinda hard to read with my cracked tooth, I musta missed that. :/

Register