Author Topic: Lets Discuss the Duan Gung  (Read 5115 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Lets Discuss the Duan Gung
« on: 15 October 2013, 18:12:12 »
I don't know why but I've always been fond of the Duan Gung. I guess I'm also one of the very few that actually thinks it looks cool (sort of a small JagerMech with arms ;D). I haven't used the G10 yet, but have gotten a fair use out of the G9. Like to use it as either ranged support in my scout lances or in harasser lances.

So does anyone else like this little 'Mech or have had success with it? Any favorite tactics? Or just anything else you would like to share about it?  :D

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Lets Discuss the Duan Gung
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2013, 18:33:53 »
I absolutely love this 'Mech.  Eats gauss for breakfast and doesn't afraid of... well, it dies after that, but that's why I love it!

As a Marik player, 'Mechs like this are what make me enjoy the Carronade, as you yourself have no doubt noticed.

It's a bit slow for its tonnage.  Decent armor (for the weight), but not doing much on offense.  7/11/6 isn't exactly spectacular, since you can't hit that wonderful +4 TMM when jumping.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2013, 20:05:29 »
I think it came a little before it's time.  I'd love an official version with stealth armor and a MML, more the MML, but the stock model is pretty nice.
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

Avimimus

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2013, 17:23:49 »

I too have the urge to tweak the design - my dark-age Taurian/Trinity Alliance production runs:

Small cockpit to allow adding one ton of armour (bringing the total up to five tons). Maybe an XL gyro.

For ambushes, long range support and anti-battle armour use respectively:
- 4x Medium Pulse Lasers
- 2x Light PPC with PPC capacitors and a targeting computer
- 1x Plasma Cannon and a targeting computer

A standard engine can be fitted at the cost of dropping to 5/8/5... which brings the price down for garrison units (2,225,417 C-bills due to using a Standard 125 rated engine).

They can be quite effective in groups of six or more...

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2013, 17:49:35 »
I dig the plasma rifle idea... kind of a Jackal rethought, in a way. And that's not a bad thing at all.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2013, 20:13:44 »
Interesting thought . . . did this design make the new tech area in the latest TRO?  I could see some of the goodies there making this a more lethal BA/Vehicle hunter.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Avimimus

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2013, 08:39:40 »
Well it would make a lot of sense - the Plasma Rifle is pretty much the Trinity Alliance's signature weapon....

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2013, 16:37:28 »
Well it would make a lot of sense - the Plasma Rifle is pretty much the Trinity Alliance's signature weapon....

All the more reason to not want to go anywhere near that part of the Inner Sphere these days. I can't put in writing how much I hate getting hit with Plasma Rifles.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2013, 17:37:58 »
Don't go near my merc force then... We apparently bought stock in the Plasma Rifle company. Heck, there are machines toting three of them!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2013, 17:50:11 »
Don't go near my merc force then... We apparently bought stock in the Plasma Rifle company. Heck, there are machines toting three of them!

Three on an assault Mech is terrifying. One on a super-fast platform like a Jackal (or our hypothetical Duan Gung) is a fantastic little monster able to make Mechs unhappy and EVERYTHING ELSE utterly miserable- and the more you have, the messier they make life. Sure, they need ammo eventually, but until that point that's one ugly little monster of a unit.

+Crow T. Robot+

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2013, 18:05:02 »
Three on an assault Mech is terrifying. One on a super-fast platform like a Jackal (or our hypothetical Duan Gung) is a fantastic little monster able to make Mechs unhappy and EVERYTHING ELSE utterly miserable- and the more you have, the messier they make life. Sure, they need ammo eventually, but until that point that's one ugly little monster of a unit.

I'll note that the one with three Plasmas is a Lancelot refit...

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2013, 23:53:43 »
I'll note that the one with three Plasmas is a Lancelot refit...

*stares blankly*

That ain't right.

+Crow T. Robot+

ScannerError

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2013, 14:47:40 »
It's a nice and fast little thing, though the armor's light and it's missing the 7th jump jet (just like its relatives, the Sling, Mist Lynx, and Koshi).  Vaughn's Duan Gung fixes the armor problem, but just a LRM 10 or LPPC on all the variants isn't much for firepower.  I wish there was a MML variant, or one with something like twin LPPCs (Replacing the Mlas) and a Rocket Launcher in the CT. 

Rothgar

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2013, 16:05:28 »
I love the -10 with the light ppc and stealth armor for the better defensive numbers and being able to snipe without fear of an ammo crit. Plus the ECM you get in order to activate the stealth is just juicy.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2013, 16:25:08 »
I love the -10 with the light ppc and stealth armor for the better defensive numbers and being able to snipe without fear of an ammo crit. Plus the ECM you get in order to activate the stealth is just juicy.

Except you can't use the ECM when you have your stealth active. In fact it puts you under the effects of ECM. :P
Oh well...stealth is still fun.

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2013, 16:25:54 »
Like most (perhaps all) Xin Sheng designs, this 'Mech looks like absolute butt.  It's too lightly armored to be especially good, but it has a role as a fast equivalent to the Valkyrie.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 26 October 2013, 17:07:30 »
Like most (perhaps all) Xin Sheng designs, this 'Mech looks like absolute butt.  It's too lightly armored to be especially good, but it has a role as a fast equivalent to the Valkyrie.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about that.  ;D

Rothgar

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 26 October 2013, 17:10:01 »
I think the DG is everything the Urbanmech wanted to be and more :P

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 27 October 2013, 05:19:44 »
Except you can't use the ECM when you have your stealth active. In fact it puts you under the effects of ECM. :P
Oh well...stealth is still fun.
???

I'm fairly sure you generate standard ECM effects with active stealth? AFAIK the effects of activating stealth armor are 1) Enemy TN modifier, 2) You get jammed yourself, 3) your ECM is fixed in jamming mode.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2013, 10:53:44 »
???

I'm fairly sure you generate standard ECM effects with active stealth? AFAIK the effects of activating stealth armor are 1) Enemy TN modifier, 2) You get jammed yourself, 3) your ECM is fixed in jamming mode.

Changed it under the latest errata. Only against yourself. As long as your stealth is active, your ECM doesn't provide any effects on the table against anyone else.

ScannerError

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 27 October 2013, 10:54:44 »

Check the most recent Total Warfare Errata.  Stealth armor now turns off your ECM suite when running, and you still suffer the localized hostile ECM effect.  On the other hand, now ARAD missiles don't get bonuses against an armor intended to minimize your emissions, which never made much sense. 

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 27 October 2013, 10:55:33 »
Does that go for all ECM, or just a single?
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.