Author Topic: Mech bays and hangers  (Read 6103 times)

ChronosVulcan

• Private
  • Team Banzai
Mech bays and hangers
« on: 05 February 2017, 15:18:00 »
This post I will be posting various mech bays and hangers to see how much I like them and to see how they look.  My long term goal is to make a 12 mech hanger with open or closed doors. 

The first one I built was the single mech Bay from www.sarna.net.  The height seemed right as it is just a little taller than an Atlas or battlemaster.  I thought the width and depth seemed huge as from looking at the puctures, there is alot of room therearound the atlas.  I like the 3 crane gantries for it because it gives you the feel of lifting parts on and off of a damaged battlemech.  My only issues with the gantry was the beam was flat, but it would be difficult to fold it into an 1/8 inch thick bar.  The ramp was difficult to make it flat without a gap on the repair bay and flat on the ground.

I have also learned I need to find something to glue the surface I used to.  I am thinking either balsa wood or foam board.  I also need to work on lighting for the pictures.

Here are some pictures.  The background are random pictures I found online trying to give the scene the right feeling, city/industrial/hilly.

« Last Edit: 05 February 2017, 15:38:43 by ChronosVulcan »
For Dr. B. Banzai and New Avalon Institute of Science.

nc_tracker

• Master Sergeant
Re: Mech bays and hangers
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2017, 19:03:09 »
Cool it's only the second time I've seen someone else build that. Excellent job!

The ramp is a little difficult to line up, but what I did when I first designed and built it for first time was to put the bay on flat surface and then line the ramp up with the rest of the bay. Then i just slid it up and pressed it into place
« Last Edit: 06 February 2017, 19:13:52 by nc_tracker »

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2017, 05:56:38 »
I like that cardboard set. It just didn't fit well on a hexmap. So i haven't build one for myself yet.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2017, 11:01:30 »
Great
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ChronosVulcan

• Private
  • Team Banzai
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2017, 22:35:35 »
I made this double mech bay last weekend from www.sarna.net.  I like this one a lot more than the previous one.  The size is really great compared with the mechs.  This time I used a black marker on all edges and white spaces.  That defiantly helped.  I don't understand why the backside looks like a mech bay, but that's okay.  I am really trying to figure out how to make the walkways and railings, but maybe in time I will figure that out. 

This time I printed out a concrete type road  to put the mech bay on.  That's attached to a 12 inch by 12 inch ply wood.  Trying to unwarp it after if warped from the tacky glue. 

My next project below is a mobile mech Bay from mech warrior 3 of a pepakura file I just have had for years.  Only issue is the scale.  I think this looks close enough.

« Last Edit: 19 February 2017, 22:43:39 by ChronosVulcan »

nc_tracker

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2017, 02:56:07 »
Hi I noticed the double mech bay you put together is the old version I made. I have since updated it with a version that goes together better and is a bit more accurate to the way it looked in MW4.

That being said you did a good job with that version.

The mobile repair truck where did you find that :0?

ChronosVulcan

• Private
  • Team Banzai
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2017, 13:39:03 »
Thanks.  I will try the other double mech Bay. 

Aso for the mobile mech bay,  i might of found ig on this site but I downloaded it years ago.  You need a pepakura reader though.  http://www.smallrealities.com/home/battletech-mechwarrior-papercraft

Hi I noticed the double mech bay you put together is the old version I made. I have since updated it with a version that goes together better and is a bit more accurate to the way it looked in MW4.

That being said you did a good job with that version.

The mobile repair truck where did you find that :0?

nc_tracker

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2017, 21:34:53 »
thanks

Here a link to another repairbay that might be of interest to you. It's in the set listed under 6mm City terrain set and it's page 19 of the pdf

http://robotech-rpg-tactics.wikia.com/wiki/JasonMillerTerrain

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2017, 01:26:59 »
I think the MW3 ones look solid though you may want to put touches on them like using the plastic square stuff for cross-stitch to make a framework mesh or the wooden sticks you can get smaller than popsicle sticks as walk ways.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register