Author Topic: Incidental Actions  (Read 3098 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Incidental Actions
« on: 13 February 2011, 10:42:07 »
We were doing some practice combat rounds last night and discovered that most turns the allotment of incidentals rarely, if ever, gets used up.  Most of the time walking, crouching, and standing were pretty commonly the only ones.  Something I figured (again being new to RPGs) is that in-character communication should be burning more actions.

Thoughts?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Incidental Actions
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2011, 12:43:28 »
Hello,

While "Talking is a Free Action" has become something of a role-playing game trope, A Time of War does define the nature of communication across Incidental, Simple, and Complex Actions.

Per p. 166, a character may perform up to 5 Incidental Actions per turn. Incidental speech is also defined on the table on p. 167 as one word. Thus, a character may only say five words per turn as Incidental Actions. Not exactly a lot of communication, but just enough to say a quick like "Bob! Look out behind you!" More than that, and the character is entering into Simple or even Complex Actions.

Hopefully, this helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

noobk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2011, 00:33:34 »
I have no military background but I can see where that makes plenty of sense. In a fight your mind is concentrating more on whats in front of you and not abut conversing with the guy next to you unless it's to relay info.

Somebody WITH a military background should be able to explain the situation better and where ones mind is.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2011, 00:38:18 »
I think it's less the military issue than it is the realization that, hey, we're not just playing a board game here.  Again, this is my first go doing "story-go-round-with-stats" and in-character communication and knowledge is a newish concept to most of us.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Blacksheep

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2011, 01:27:40 »
I have no military background but I can see where that makes plenty of sense. In a fight your mind is concentrating more on whats in front of you and not abut conversing with the guy next to you unless it's to relay info.

Somebody WITH a military background should be able to explain the situation better and where ones mind is.

Well, from a military view, I'd cap the guy trying to whack my buddy then expend an Incidental Action saying: "Look, jackass, watch your six!"  Capisce?

Demonthunder

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2011, 22:15:53 »
Mute quadraplegics as characters will solve all your troubles right out of the gate.

Best wishes. ;)

Register