Author Topic: Precedent for Characters who are Mechwarriors AND Aerospace Pilots  (Read 7547 times)

Elcor05

• Sergeant
So I'm currently toying with the idea of multi-disciplinary characters in the BT Universe. I know that Mechs are king, and that being able to pilot both a 'Mech and a ship (or tank, or dropship, or whatever) would probably make them worse at piloting both things. But are there any characters in novels or source books who blurr the line? I'm getting more of the source books, and want to get a Time of War, but don't have it yet, so it's hard for me to look up the specific rules on if this is even possible. I think the Clans wouldn't like it much (although any exact sources would be super helpful). I also vaguely remember Kai Allard-Liao using Elemental Armor, and Phelan Ward having some Aerospace training, but I'd imagine they're much more exceptions than the rule. Thanks for any help!
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
LAM pilots by necessity were cross-trained.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
TR3075, p.100, has the notable pilot of the Rusalka Spectral ASF trained in both 'Mechs and aerospace fighters. It's really not that bizarre a concept. Both 'Mechs and aerospace fighters are single-crew machines controlled by neurohelmets. You'd need an exceptional person to pilot both well, but then that's what RPG characters are.

Perhaps the character is the third child of a family that owns both a 'Mech and an ASF, and thus trained to be ready to pilot either should their older siblings die or wash out. Perhaps the PC is a bounty hunter who specializes in seizing machines to cover debts or the like. Perhaps they were trained to pilot 'Mechs, but couldn't secure one on graduation, so shifted to aerospace fighters to avoid becoming very expensive infantry. Maybe they're just a thrillseeker who learned to fly for the adrenaline rush.

There's lots of options, and while there's not a ton of precedence, there is enough to establish that it can happen.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
I'm pretty certain that one of the earlier books, maybe the original boxed set rulebook, suggested that some pilots from well to do families would be cross trained as a matter of course.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Don't the Ghost Bears also have failed MechWarriors who successfully retested as aerospace fighter pilots?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Maelwys

• Major
They don't use the aerospace phenotype, and FM:Crusader Clan states that "Unlike many Clans, failure in the initial Trial of Position does not immediately relegate an aspiring Ghost Bear into the ranks of lower castes. Rather, the cadet is shifted to another warrior subcaste, his or her placement based on aptitude tests, in the hopes that the cadet may test out more positively there."

So its possible to find Ghost Bears that have trained for one, and gotten into the other branch.

I'd also expect to find IS special forces that have cross-trained. Obviously not all of them, but some sure.

Heck, pretty much all of the early ProtoMech Warriors were cross-trained, since they were failed aerospace pilots, who then transferred into the ProtoMech training program.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Before the arrival of the Clans cross-training of 'MechWarrior's is more likely to armor (Tanks), afterwards, BattleArmor, then Aero

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
And this also passes the "reality check." I know a former tank crewman who became a pilot (private, not military), and I am personally working towards going to helicopter flight school in the next year or two. The skills might not be directly relatable, but neither are they mutually incompatible.

Before the arrival of the Clans cross-training of 'MechWarrior's is more likely to armor (Tanks), afterwards, BattleArmor, then Aero

I don't think the OP is concerned with "likelihood," more "can it happen at all." And the answer is very much yes. Rare, certainly, but it does happen.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Katana Tormark, the leader of the Dragon's Fury and later Warlord of Dieron was cross-trained as a MechWarrior and fighter pilot.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Frabby

• Major
Wasn't Franklin Sakamoto (of 1st Somerset Strikers fame) seen piloting 'Mechs, fighters, and battle armor?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Wasn't Franklin Sakamoto (of 1st Somerset Strikers fame) seen piloting 'Mechs, fighters, and battle armor?

In the cartoon, yeah.  I don't know if that's been held over to his other appearances (pretty sure he wasn't in any of them in Black Dragon, anyway)

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
You have the right idea.

One of my players in my campaign has a dual mechwarrior/dropship skill. He excels in mechwarrior piloting while being basic in dropship piloting. I wouldn't worry to much how cannon it is or not as this avoids accidently creating a dual skilled charactar and then telling the character how it should be played.

I think a suggestion on balance between the skills or a one is better than the other instead of both exceling at the same time.

I find when creating dual skilled characters under the standard point value back history time take s a lot of points severly limiting rounding a charcter out with other nonessential vehicle/combat skills.

Again your game, your character in the end.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

Decoy

• Captain
Katana Tormark, the leader of the Dragon's Fury and later Warlord of Dieron was cross-trained as a MechWarrior and fighter pilot.

Another MW: DA example, Dianne Jameson was cross-trained as well. She flies a Shiva in the fight for Ankaa at one point.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
Old fashioned LAM pilots *had* to be cross trained. Just the way it was.

I'm sure there are a few people in the BTU that have multidiscipline skill sets in Aero/Mech Piloting as well as Gunnery. I'm also sure that several retired mech pilots who may have gotten a bit of cash might retire to be dropship Captains as its a helluva lot easier hauling than fighting but still being "in the war" if you know what I mean.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
Nobody's mentioned Adamn Steiner yet?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Elcor05

• Sergeant
Awesome, thanks for all of the responses everyone. It sounds like most get training in both, but almost always do one or the other (mostly thinking of the Clans.)

Nobody's mentioned Adamn Steiner yet?

What'd he do?

You have the right idea.

One of my players in my campaign has a dual mechwarrior/dropship skill. He excels in mechwarrior piloting while being basic in dropship piloting. I wouldn't worry to much how cannon it is or not as this avoids accidently creating a dual skilled charactar and then telling the character how it should be played.

I think a suggestion on balance between the skills or a one is better than the other instead of both exceling at the same time.

I find when creating dual skilled characters under the standard point value back history time take s a lot of points severly limiting rounding a charcter out with other nonessential vehicle/combat skills.

Again your game, your character in the end.

Yeah true, but I want to make sure that I'm not creating a character that Idk, with 'Mechs king everyone would treat them as some freak. ESPECIALLY the Clans.
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
What'd he do?

He was big on cross training and was capable as both a fighter pilot and a mech pilot.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
Hell, don't forget Yvonne Morticia of Team Banzai, who piloted an Orion, a DropShip, and commanded their JumpShip, the Nth Dimension.

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
I would think it must be a common concept in the spec ops side of things not sure if they really mention it much but its a good idea , also I am pro it as a personal opinion as my last RPG character could pilot mechs , aerospace fighters, dropships and warships that was a 3060+ campaign and he was really something C* ultimate Swiss army knife

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
I am surprised the thread got this far without mentioning DEST and the other special forces in the IS which are cross-trained to a degree in two or more fields.

In fact DEST I believe have at least minimal training in armor and BA too, don't they?

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
I'm equally surprised no one has brought up the Capellan Death Commandos. They're trained to use just about every type of war machine out there.

Also, in the late Succession Wars, Dispossessed MechWarriors would likely find themselves among tankers (or infantry if very unlucky...)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
The Fidelis are extensively cross-trained in the Dark Ages, so there would likely be plenty of aerospace/mechwarrior hybrids.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
Yeah, it was the Spec Ops groups I came into this to do.  Even in some of the fiction they have internal monologues about doing what's needed.  Lots of training.

DEST, Death Commandos, Loki/Heimdall, etc.   Let alone Fidelis

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
In fact DEST I believe have at least minimal training in armor and BA too, don't they?

Well, we know they are trained to fight as "conventional" special forces as well as in battle armor, and judging from the part of "Black Dragon" where the renegade DEST try to steal the Caballero mechs, at least some of them have MechWarrior training.

They probably aren´t "cross-trained" in the sense that they can hold their own against enemies of equal strength in mech combat - but enough to, after sneaking into an enemy hangar, power up some mechs and shoot their way out of the enemy base before absconding with their new rides. Effectively green rating, I´d guess, versus elite rating as conventional or BA infantry.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Archangel

• Major
Within DEST there probably are sub-units that focus more on 'Mech or Aerospace combat than their fellow DEST commandos.  Like the House Liao's Death Commandos those assigned to such units likely have personal BattleMechs/AeroSpace fighters permanently assigned to them.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
They probably aren´t "cross-trained" in the sense that they can hold their own against enemies of equal strength in mech combat - but enough to, after sneaking into an enemy hangar, power up some mechs and shoot their way out of the enemy base before absconding with their new rides. Effectively green rating, I´d guess, versus elite rating as conventional or BA infantry.

There's some precedent for this in the game.  The old Intelligence Operations Handbook for MechWarrior 2nd Edition had a special forces archetype with green-level Piloting and Gunnery skills.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Within DEST there probably are sub-units that focus more on 'Mech or Aerospace combat than their fellow DEST commandos.  Like the House Liao's Death Commandos those assigned to such units likely have personal BattleMechs/AeroSpace fighters permanently assigned to them.

I imagine there are DEST team who can do the same with ASF as most can with Mechs. For that matter, I wouldn´t be surprised if some DEST teams, between their various members, have all the skills needed to steal dropships, maybe even jumpships.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
They don't use the aerospace phenotype, and FM:Crusader Clan states that "Unlike many Clans, failure in the initial Trial of Position does not immediately relegate an aspiring Ghost Bear into the ranks of lower castes. Rather, the cadet is shifted to another warrior subcaste, his or her placement based on aptitude tests, in the hopes that the cadet may test out more positively there."

Bjorn Jorgensson. Started out training as a Mechwarrior. Failed his trial. Retrained as an ASF Pilot. Earned Star Captain on his 2nd trial. Eventually became Khan.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
So I'm currently toying with the idea of multi-disciplinary characters in the BT Universe. I know that Mechs are king, and that being able to pilot both a 'Mech and a ship (or tank, or dropship, or whatever) would probably make them worse at piloting both things. But are there any characters in novels or source books who blurr the line? I'm getting more of the source books, and want to get a Time of War, but don't have it yet, so it's hard for me to look up the specific rules on if this is even possible. I think the Clans wouldn't like it much (although any exact sources would be super helpful). I also vaguely remember Kai Allard-Liao using Elemental Armor, and Phelan Ward having some Aerospace training, but I'd imagine they're much more exceptions than the rule. Thanks for any help!

Kai wasn't cross trained, but they stuffed him into a suit with a few hours/days practice & he didn't risk doing anything iffy like using the Jump Jets or anything.

Phelan was no Pilot that I recall.  But he was a Khan & as such was on the bridge of a McKenna when they engaged a Mjolnir.  But that's as a spectator not as the Star Commodore/Admiral who was doing the actual commanding.

Awesome, thanks for all of the responses everyone. It sounds like most get training in both, but almost always do one or the other (mostly thinking of the Clans.)

Yeah true, but I want to make sure that I'm not creating a character that Idk, with 'Mechs king everyone would treat them as some freak. ESPECIALLY the Clans.

To be clear.  "Most" do not get cross trained.
All these examples are of special cases.  None of it is the norm.
It happens, for sure, but its not common.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Archangel

• Major
Phelan was no Pilot that I recall.  But he was a Khan & as such was on the bridge of a McKenna when they engaged a Mjolnir.  But that's as a spectator not as the Star Commodore/Admiral who was doing the actual commanding.

He may be referring to the training Phelan underwent under Carew tutelage.  Even so I believe it wasn't actual Aerospace Pilot training but rather how to deal with attacking Aerospace Fighters as a MechWarrior.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Register