Author Topic: Lesser/Greater Bloodnames?  (Read 1582 times)

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
Lesser/Greater Bloodnames?
« on: 06 July 2016, 06:29:54 »
I've recently built a character with Level 10 Bloodname, which according to the rules is a lesser exclusive phenotype bloodname. Is there a way to tell which of the available exclusive bloodnames count as greater or lesser? The character in question is a Clan Hell's Horses Elemental, so there are four Elemental bloodnames to choose from. Two were bloodnames of Khans, and the other two are listed as only having five or fewer bloodheritages (if I remember the term correctly) available. If it helps, the character was built for around the 3145 era. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Lesser/Greater Bloodnames?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2016, 07:26:39 »
I think its going to be whatever you decide. IIRC, the last Bloodname list we have is from Wars of Reaving, which is 60 years off what you're going for. Those that are limited to 5 or fewer bloodheritages at the time of the WoR might be back to full use by the time 3145 rolls around, we just have no way of knowing.

What constitutes Greater or Lesser is going to be whatever you decide. I mean, someone might consider Fletcher a Greater Bloodname, but on the other hand, maybe Malavi's actions before the Jihad have pushed it back into the lesser status by 3145.

You could look at the various HH commanders in FM3145. That might give you an idea of how well the various Bloodnames are doing.

There are three Star Colonels with the Cooper Bloodname in the Hell's Horses forces, but surprisingly, a Galaxy Commander in the Wolf Empire, a Star Colonel in the Wolf Empire, and 3 Star Colonels in the Raven Alliance. It seems like that might make it non-exclusive now, but for all we know, those are Hell's Horses units that were taken in battle, rather than them having the rights to the genetics.

3 Star Colonels bear the Fletcher surname.

Houan is the Bloodname of Theta Galaxy's Galaxy Commander.

2 Star Colonels have the name Seidman.

So that doesn't really help alot, but indicates that they're still around and being used atleast.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2016, 11:05:07 »
I think its going to be whatever you decide. IIRC, the last Bloodname list we have is from Wars of Reaving, which is 60 years off what you're going for. Those that are limited to 5 or fewer bloodheritages at the time of the WoR might be back to full use by the time 3145 rolls around, we just have no way of knowing.

What constitutes Greater or Lesser is going to be whatever you decide. I mean, someone might consider Fletcher a Greater Bloodname, but on the other hand, maybe Malavi's actions before the Jihad have pushed it back into the lesser status by 3145.

You could look at the various HH commanders in FM3145. That might give you an idea of how well the various Bloodnames are doing.

There are three Star Colonels with the Cooper Bloodname in the Hell's Horses forces, but surprisingly, a Galaxy Commander in the Wolf Empire, a Star Colonel in the Wolf Empire, and 3 Star Colonels in the Raven Alliance. It seems like that might make it non-exclusive now, but for all we know, those are Hell's Horses units that were taken in battle, rather than them having the rights to the genetics.

3 Star Colonels bear the Fletcher surname.

Houan is the Bloodname of Theta Galaxy's Galaxy Commander.

2 Star Colonels have the name Seidman.

So that doesn't really help alot, but indicates that they're still around and being used atleast.
Double-check WoR and Operation Klondike. There were two Coopers, one in the Horses (still exclusive) and one in the Ravens (now shared by Ravens and Wolves).

As long as you want to stick to that description, it looks like your choices are Houan or Seidman. Or you can pick one of the names from Operation Klondike that you don't see used for another phenotype or Clan and claim it for your character.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2016, 13:47:46 »
Ah completely missed that. So yeah. That explains why there are Coopers in the Wolf Empire and Snow Ravens.

Still. Greater and Lesser are pretty open to interpretation.

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2016, 21:25:37 »
Double-check WoR and Operation Klondike. There were two Coopers, one in the Horses (still exclusive) and one in the Ravens (now shared by Ravens and Wolves).

As long as you want to stick to that description, it looks like your choices are Houan or Seidman. Or you can pick one of the names from Operation Klondike that you don't see used for another phenotype or Clan and claim it for your character.
I was leaning toward Houan (at least partially because it's the first in the list, and also for the sound), but after your suggestion to look into Operation Klondike and cross-referencing that table with the Stone Lion list from Wars of Reaving makes Steding seem like the appropriate choice. Thank you!

Register