Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 246207 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« on: 02 April 2016, 04:18:10 »
This is a continuation of my timeline thread which began here:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=20515.0

This timeline is a thanks to everyone who has supported it, everyone who has suggested something, made a unit I really liked or created a Mech or vehicle that needed a story.  It's an Alternate Timeline that takes place across the Inner Sphere and beyond I hope you continue to enjoy it with me.

Office of Bowang, Parliament
Atreus, District of Marik
Free Worlds League
2nd March 3103

Captain-General Joseph Marik entered the office of Prime Minister Alison Kanning he saw the older woman raise from behind the desk “please remain I don’t need you to raise for me” he said raising his hand as he approached the desk.

“You are the Captain-General it is respectful” she said retaking her chair.

“I wanted to thank you” Joseph said indicating to the chair across from her Kanning nodded and Joseph sat “you could have very easily blocked the bills and legislations we have passed in the last few days, the former Outer League Alliance worlds would follow your lead, but you have acted fairly in the parliament.”

“I fully support the reformed Free Worlds League it is the very reason we sundered the Outer League Alliance because we wished a free democracy within our nation.  We wished that this Free Worlds League was what House Marik was always intended it to be.”

“And you believe we can do that?”

“I do, do you?”

“If we work together then yes” Joseph said “I was surprised that Lester has been so progressive in these first few weeks.”

“The reformed League benefits his nation as long as it continues to do that then he will continue to support it.  The Cameron-Jones family have always been supporters of the Free Worlds League when it benifitted them.  Lester like all before him will covet your position for as long as he sees it as a way to forward Regulus’ goals.”  She said she was old enough to remember the reformed Free Worlds League unlike most members of the reformed Parliament.

“So he will likely oppose any notion of a reformed Federal Army under the authority of the Parliament and of the Captain-General.”

“I believe he would.  I believe I would” Alison Kanning admitted “the Free Worlds Guards are spread across our nation as is your Marik Militias all former Federal troops are now part of the nation states around of the Free Worlds League or part of the SLDF.”  She pointed out “I am not sure if we need to resurrect old wounds our Districts already have significant military forces.”

“They are just not as united as we may need them Clan Wolf is still a threat to all of us.”

“Should the Wolves rear their head we will smack them in the mouth and have them scurrying back onto the worlds they have taken” she said with more steel than Joseph had expected. “But the Free Worlds League has not been reformed purely as a military alliance.  Before the split of the Free Worlds League we had trade, education and a production base rivalling the whole Inner Sphere.”  She said she saw Joseph smile at the images she had suggested “we should rebuild these attributes as quickly as making Clan Wolf scared of our worlds.”  She said watching Joseph Marik’s reactions for a moment “there’s hope for you yet my young sire.”  He looked at her a question on his face “you’ve thought about each one of my points already I can see your thoughts and dreams played in your eyes” she said “the only one you didn’t think was completely realistic was making the Wolf afraid.  It’s good you are thinking like a Captain-General should about his people.”

“I’m only thinking that way because the leaders of the Free Worlds League are keeping me on the right course.”

“Flattery to an old woman” she said rising from her chair “if I were twenty years younger your young wife would be in trouble.”  She joked heading over to a small stand with refreshments.  “It will be a long road perhaps I will see some of it.”

“A long road that the Free Worlds League will walk together” Joseph agreed “all of us.”  He said Alison Kanning glanced over at the Captain-General and smiled.

“Time is a fickle thing, my young sire, make sure you make the most out of life while you can.”  She said pouring her drink she offered Joseph a drink but he shook his head declining “you blink your eyes and it is all gone.”

“It has been quite a blink you have experienced” Joseph said “the Independence of Bowang, the Trade Sphere, the Outer League Alliance and now a reformed Free Worlds League.  Many would pay a great deal for half of that journey.”

“Yes it has” she agreed “and now House Marik” she said raising her glass towards Joseph “is united once more.  Once more on par with the other Succession States.”

“We have to prove that we can stand with them” Joseph said

“We will together” Alison Kanning said finally Joseph half bowed his head in agreement with the Bowang Districts leader confident that his nation was on the right track forward.

Product demonstrations
Talitha/Irece
Draconis Combine/Free Worlds League
17th March 3103

After spending years developing new technology for use in Land Air Mechs the companies of Gilmour MilTech and LexaTech Industries introduce new production variants of the Yurei LAM and Screamer LAM using new technology adding them to other produced units.  The two companies also debut the Pwwka LAM a new thirty ton design using an extra-light gyro and four Extended Range Medium Lasers.

Like previous products the new Land Air Mech designs are all offered to anyone who can pay the price the two companies ask for them.  The majority of Gilmour's products continue to go to the SLDF and mercenaries aligned with them while ninety percent of LexaTech's products go to the DCMS.

Border Deployment
Filtvelt, Filtvelt Coalition
Periphery
20th March 3103

“In response to the recent aggression from Clan Nova Cat Filtvelt welcomes assistance from the Federated Suns.”  Marquees Helen Tremealeau, the leader of Filtvelt and its Coalition, announced in the message that would be transmitted to Filtvelt and to the other worlds of the nation.  “The Federated Suns has agreed to help defend our soil from this aggression and has agreed to leave when the time comes.”  She said she barely believed the words she had spoken it had taken decades for the Filtvelt to gain its independence from the Federated Suns and it was unlikely that it would happen again.  Twenty-three years ago she had spoken to First Prince Victor Steiner-Davion about Filtvelt’s desire to remain independent it felt like a lifetime ago.  “The people of Filtvelt are a proud one we have survived threats to our world before and we will survive this new unpleasentness.”  On Filtvelt the First and Second Tikonov Cossacks RCTs and three regiment-sized mercenary regiments including the Wild Geese would help secure their world while the FSS Filtvelt, a Hound-class Corvette, would assist in the defence of their JumpShips and shuttles.

Territorial Exchange
Clan Occupation Zones
21st March 3103

With an expanding frontier with the Lyran Commonwealth the Hell’s Horses turn control over the Malibu, Derf, Winfeld, Persistance, Steelton and Toland systems over to the control of Clan Sea Fox.  In exchange the Hell’s Horses gain BattleMechs, Armour and Battle Armour suits to outfit two full Clusters and the control over three WarShips, two newly built ships and a newly built Jade Lion-class Battle-cruiser.  The Sea Foxes also agree to trade Harjel to the Hell’s Horses at a cheeper price than normal to keep the Clan’s military machine at supplied longer.  With control over all the systems between Twycross and the periphery Clan Sea Fox is able to move supplies between their Inner Sphere worlds and the Chainelane Isles without interference.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2016, 09:57:01 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2016, 04:24:55 »
Since the last thread had reached page 50 I want to just answer a couple of points from the previous update.

Wrangler - Lester Cameron-Jones is nothing like the canon one in this AU.  He currently sees the reformed FWL as something that will benefit him and his nation although that might not always be the case.  His nation is also completely surrounded by the other states at the moment so not rejoining would have been a bad call.

marauder648 - just how far the Jade Falcons have pushed themselves will be revealed shortly

Rainbow 6 - the Lyran Commonwealth and friends on the offensive  >:D now who would have ever thought....
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2016, 04:57:51 »
*ping*
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2016, 09:02:34 »
Nice update!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2016, 19:59:27 »
Taggity tag.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2016, 20:25:56 »
It's good to see you have reached your second thread. O0
Noticed that the FS sent merc's to help Filtvelt not house troops, smart move.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2016, 20:41:52 »

Took a while getting there

They actually sent both the Tikonov Cossacks Brigade are house troops of the AFFS based in the Crucis March primarily.  They along with the New Avalon Guards have largely replaced the defunct Avalon Hussars

I really need to get back to working on the House/Clan unit listings  :-[

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2016, 20:58:56 »
I really need to get back to working on the House/Clan unit listings  :-[

Dragon Cat [whipit]  >:D

TT  O:-)
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2016, 21:05:34 »
merc's are much better then house units for a large amount of reasons
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2016, 00:36:21 »
Merc are expendable assets, much mores than House units.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2016, 01:59:11 »
A quick question Dragon Cat, the Warship the Lyran's lost recently to the Falcons, what class was she, an Avalon right?
« Last Edit: 03 April 2016, 02:42:17 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2016, 02:48:53 »
Merc are expendable assets, much mores than House units.

The Mercs in question may disagree with that statement.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2016, 03:33:48 »
Dragon Cat [whipit]  >:D

TT  O:-)

O0

A quick question Dragon Cat, the Warship the Lyran's lost recently to the Falcons, what class was she, an Avalon right?

I'm going to answer now since I haven't even started the next update and will be a few days to sort it out at least.

If you mean the LCS Nondi Steiner no she was a Hyperion-class Heavy Cruiser.  The only Avalon the Lyrans had was a modified ship known as the Archon's Pride and she got blown to pieces by the Jade Falcons 3 years ago (in the timeline).

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2016, 03:46:26 »
O0

I'm going to answer now since I haven't even started the next update and will be a few days to sort it out at least.

If you mean the LCS Nondi Steiner no she was a Hyperion-class Heavy Cruiser.  The only Avalon the Lyrans had was a modified ship known as the Archon's Pride and she got blown to pieces by the Jade Falcons 3 years ago (in the timeline).

Ahh got ya and dang it! :p Just sent ya a thing for your perusal that kinda is invalidated now :P

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2016, 17:59:48 »
 ;D nice update!  Its nice to see the new FWL and for now a nice political cooperation.  The Clans also cooperating in their own way.  Hmm...  wonder what innersphere shattering event you have coming up?   Keep it up!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 05 April 2016, 06:52:07 »
My thanks to marauder648 for deciding the fate of New Extford with an excellent battle-story.  Hope you enjoy April 3103

AFFS Command
District City, Kathil
Capellan March, Federated Suns
16th April 3103

Colonel Richard Steiner stepped into the AFFS Command Centre on Kathil this place was familiar to him, but it was not like his regiment… like his regiment had been he thought, even as he thought of what had happened to the First Kathil Uhlans his wounds ached.  Under his duty uniform his right arm and the upper right quarter of his chest and lower neck were heavily bandaged from the burns he had sustained on Verlo.

Each time he closed his eyes Richard was back on that damned planet, that night, in the early hours of the morning a firebomb had ripped through the Uhlans base camp shocking their command.  Richard still had no idea how it had happened but he and roughly half of the unit had been inside the barracks when the bombs had gone off, thirty-two MechWarriors had died in the resulting fire before they’d even made it to their Mechs.

Suffering from burns Richard had made it to his Templar OmniMech the ice in his coolant vest had aggravated but also calmed the pain from his burns.  The Kathil Uhlans had been under heavy attack on the ground from at least two Capellan Confederation Warrior Houses.  Richard had marshaled his remaining forces ordering his warriors to retreat to their DropShips and escape the planet.  For eight hours he had fought against the Capellans and watched three regiments of his support troops sacrifice themselves before evacuating with less than a combined arms regiment into three DropShips.

Even as he hung in his OmniMech Richard had found no respite their DropShips had been assaulted by the Hell’s Black Angels Aerospace Unit.  The Capellan fighters had dived on the retreating DropShips intent on wiping out the Kathil Uhlans.  Richard had missed the resulting battle passing out in his BattleMech as he finally blacked out from the pain caused by his wounds.  He’d watched the reruns of their escape the arrival of their WarShip the FSS Ellen Davion, a Davion III-class Destroyer, which had made an intersystem jump most likely breaking its KF Drive to do it.  The Ellen Davion had dived into the battle slashing at the Hell’s Black Angels DropShips.  Undeterred the Capellan Aerospace forces had turned on the single destroyer punching through its defences causing heavy damage in several obviously practiced runs then finally almost in one final attack the Capellans had struck the Ellen Davion with a nuclear-tipped anti-ship missile consuming the half a million ton vessel in a blinding flash.  The attack had blinded the Uhlans but it had also affected the Hell’s Black Angels sensors allowing the DropShips to escape.

Now on Kathil the remains of the Uhlans would begin the long process of rebuilding.  Richard Steiner while still the Regiment commander would be sidelined for at least six months due to his burn injuries instead of commanding his unit he would be working from the Command Centre on Kathil.  That wasn’t to say he wouldn’t be busy the attack on Verlo had been the Capellan’s most successful but it hadn’t been the only one they’d attacked Victoria, Menke, Mitchell, Jonzac and Sidar while the Taurian Concordat had joined them assault MacLeod’s Land and Laconis along their shared border.  From what Richard had understood the AFFS was holding the Capellans on Victoria and Sirdar.  While Mitchell, Menke, Jonzac and Verlo were confirmed to have fallen both worlds targeted by the Taurians had been abandoned by the AFFS with their troops moved to other areas.

Richard approached the main tactical table which showed a map of the Federated Suns and most importantly the Capellan March.  Standing around the table was Field Marshal Nathaniel Hasek, possibly the oldest warrior in AFFS service, despite his age the years did not show on him today the Field Marshal of the Capellan March was in his element directing the Capellan March in a war.  “Reporting as ordered Field Marshal” Richard said the old man looked over at him and smiled he was Kym Hasek’s uncle and they knew each other well.

“Welcome back to Kathil Colonel”

“Thank you” Richard said “what’s our status sir?”

“OPERATION DOWNFALL is in effect.”  Nathaniel said naming of of the Federated Suns Counter-attack strategies.  “Units based off St Ives had successes on Brighton and Taga.  While reinforcements are being routed to Sirdar and Victoria” he said Richard flinched his wife Duchess Kym Hasek was on her way to Victoria with Federated Suns Naval forces.  “The New Hessen Mercenary Regiments have launched an attack on Ningpo and Algol” Nathaniel said as further worlds lit up “while Jaylen Davion has forced her way onto Grand Base with the First St Ives Lancers” the Field Marshal said with a predatory grin.  “The Capellans were not expecting the whole March to rise against them.”  He said triumphantly as a support officer entered handing Richard an information pad he quickly looked over it.

“Or perhaps they did.”  He said connecting the pad to the main computer screen the map updated “secondary attacks from the Capellans.  Sirdar has fallen the Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT are no more while Foundation Industries WarShip Vidar has been destroyed.”  He said naming the independent Riga-class WarShip registered as a mercenary unit by the company.  “Secondary Capellan and Taurian strikes have struck Broden, Columbine, Vard, Pojo, Muridox and Larsha.”

“So the battle is joined” Nathaniel Hasek said his predatory smile never dropping once, he didn't know the Taurian motivation but they'd pay the price too, “shall we see how well the Capellans dance Colonel?”

“As long as we start with the easy steps, sir” Richard joked thinking of his arm and back.

“Every step with a Capellan is an easy one you just aim for the bastard’s toes” Nathaniel said laughing looking up at the map their long peace with the Capellans was over his final campaign had begun.

Battle for New Extford
New Extford
Jade Falcon Occupation Zone
20th April 3103

The SLS Firedrake’s engines rumbled slightly as she burned towards New Extford, a world that had been under Jade Falcon occupation for too long.  Her CiC was quiet, crew quietly muttering orders into their mics as the Patriot class heavy cruiser went to battle. 

“Sir Captain Moore on the Marshal Ney reports that the screen is in position.”

“Thank you, CAG?”

“All our birds are in the black Sir, the assault forces have their own organic cover and the Otaka’s going to stay with them in case the Clan dropper’s break off and make a run for them.”

“Excellent. Comms.  Give Captain Tanaka my regards, tell her that she may engage as needed and she does not have to conform to the maneuvers of the flagship.”

That had been a serious risk, the Otaka was a capable warship but against a battle-cruiser she was out of her league, still the Clan group appeared to be sticking in close formation, their four DropShips leading the way whilst their fighters had yet to launch.

“What do we have on the Jade Lion?”

“Not much Sir, the Foxes are not talking about them but she’s reading basically as a modified Black Lion.

Captain Kurt Thobal nodded, looking at the sensor display and the long range cameras that were locked onto the distant Falcon Warships, back lit by the blue and green of the world they were defending.

He had the superior force, even if the enemy capital ship out massed both of his vessels, they had more fighters, more and he was sure better assault DropShips.  But his fighters were spread between his group and the assault force carrying SLDF's Second Division, Third Brigade, The Crater Cobras and the Second Dismal Disinherited Regiment to the planet.

The fact that there were Mercs present had gotten the Falcons backs right up, a request for a bid had been met with static as the Clan force broke orbit and moved out.  But they had not gone hell for leather for the vulnerable JumpShips and their precious cargo, but for the obvious challenge of the WarShips escorting them.

“Sir! Enemy craft are launching fighters!”

“Get me an ID on the type.”

“Reading…10 Scytha and 10 Hydaspes from the Jade Lion and..Carrier’s launching…reading them as Avar’s Sir!”

There were some mutters on the bridge, Clan Sea Fox had been producing the Hydaspes en mass and had found a ready market with the other Clans who were snapping them up as soon as they were produced. 

“CAG?”

“We can handle that, we’ll have Gold Group engage the Scytha’s and just pick the rest off.”

“Signal the escort group, they are weapons free to engage targets of opportunity, but they will concentrate fire when I say.”

“Weapons, spin up the missiles, conventional warheads only, release of Special Weapons is not authorized.”

“Aye Sir! Spinning up the birds now!”

Whilst it took a few words and a series of computer commands the results were far more impressive. 

Hatches along the cruisers bow and forward flanks popped open as multi-tonne missiles were fed into the launch tubes from their rotary ammunition holders. Each missile came to life in a heartbeat, its computer talking with the cruisers, feeding it targeting data, range, speed, predicted course.

Two hoses connected, the hydrogen slush fuel pumps pouring thousands of gallons of the freezing cold liquid into the missiles tanks in the space of a few seconds.

“Data link is good, all missiles fulled and ready to fire.”

“Excellent, link targeting data with the escorts.”

“Data coming through now.”

“Very good. Open fire!”

A simple press of a button was all it took.  Each launch tube was lined with electro-magnets that would give the multi-tonne weapon a push out of the tube, thrusters flashed on the Killer Whale missiles sides to turn them towards the target as they drifted a dozen feet from their mothership before their rockets ignited, pushing them to full speed in a few seconds, their motors leaving behind a faint grey trail of ‘smoke’ from their spent fuel.

“Missiles away! Reloading now, all birds running hot, no malfunctions!  Four minutes until DropShip screen!”

The escorting Overlord A3’s Churchill and Alexander added to the barrage as did the Legacy of Fire; an impressive looking Nekohono’o.

Thousands of kilometers ahead the missiles raced on, their data feed overriding their LADAR and Radar, focusing on the mass of the Jade Falcon their path taking them over the dropship screen before the Clan Warship.

As the range dropped the escorts immediately opened fire with a blizzard of anti-missile fire, whilst the swift and agile Avar’s dove on the missiles.

“Nine missiles destroyed sir; one is reading a…make that ten, destroyed, and they are through the screen.”

Now it was up to the Jade Lion’s defenses and they didn’t disappoint.  Of the 21 missiles launched, only three survived to impact with the Clan Warship’s hull, Buckling but not breaching the hull in brief flashes of fire.

“Ready to fire again Sir!”

“Fire, target the escort group, we won’t get through those defenses with all them in the way.”

“Sir! Missiles launched from the Jade Lion no radiological alarm.”

The Captain nodded, even the Clanner’s didn’t want to let that gene out of the bottle.

“Fire the screen launcher, and weapons free on point defenses!”

“Aye Sir! Sir! Enemy missiles are actively pinging the Alexander!”

Captain Thobal bit back a curse, the Overlord A3’s lacked an AMS of their own and despite their missile heavy armament and they were also vulnerable to missiles themselves.

“Signal the Alexander and have her move closer so she is shielded by our AMS and I want a screen deployed now!”

The Screen launcher system ‘fired’ a heavy canister into space, it split open like a blossoming flower, filling the space calculated that the hostile missiles would go through with decoys, electronic jammers, chaff and other still classified devices, all working to jam, confuse and entice the inbound missiles.  Six of the Clan’s missiles fell for the decoys and electronic sirens, their on-board systems registering a massive target that filled their radar ‘eyes’ and made their computer brains register they had found their target.  Bright flashes of detonations bloomed in the darkness of space but two missiles kept going, both slightly below the main flight and slightly astern, their radar seekers firmly locked on the return they were getting from the Alexander, their heat seeker heads reading the thermal bloom of its thrusters. 

One missile never made it, cut in half by a long blurt of AMS fire at extreme range but the final missile kept going, completing its one service for Clan Jade Falcon as the pointed head of the missile rammed into the Overlord A3 at Mach 10.

Even as it was crushed into oblivion the fuse activated and the missile detonated, the huge shaped charge detonating, venting its fury against the Overlord’s hull as it and the remaining fuel detonated in a blinding flash. 

“Damage report from the Alexander, one of their AR-10 tubes is jammed shut, the hull is buckled and ‘we have a new porthole in the upper starboard side’, no fires reported and she is holding position.”

“Very good, keep firing!”

As the range dropped the weapons fire picked up.  The Carrier class DropShip Argus was ripped in half by a quartet of missile strikes that set off her fuel tank whilst the Claymore Tegetthoff, was dropping back, her hull breached and heavily damaged by a missile strike.  The Aerospace fighters on both sides rolled in to engage as the surviving trio of Clan assault DropShips, a pair of Eisigrim’s and a Noruff went to full thrust and began engaging the SLDF’s ships. 

“Sir…” The comm’s officer stopped his report as the ship rocked slightly as a PPC burst melted hull armour.

“The Otaka reports that the DropShips are entering the atmosphere and she is en-route to our location.”

“Understood, guns keep targeting the Jade Lion and keep firing!”

The blackness of space was light up by brief puffs of exploding missiles and long jagged lines of laser light.  Outnumbered the Jade Falcon assault DropShips clung together in a group, their interlinked AMS cutting down most of the missiles directed their way, but even then they were taking damage.  But giving it too. The trio rolled, burning retro’s hard, catching the Arondight Marshal Ney flat footed and a volley of missiles at no more than a few dozen miles, point blank in space terms saw the big assault DropShip burst like an over inflated balloon.  She was joined in death moments later when the Noruff Daughter of the Tempest was hit hard by a pair of Kraken-T missiles, the ship rolling bow over stern in an unrecoverable dive that saw the G-force spiraling wildly before the ship ripped itself apart, spilling metal and its crew across the battlefield.

With her escorts being overwhelmed the Jade Lion altered her course, rolling to present her guns not to the Firedrake but the onrushing assault DropShips and Otaka.

The Combine built ship’s weapons were spitting as soon as they charged or reloaded, massed batteries of PPCs, gouging into the Isegrim Honour and setting her aflame as her ATM ammo in the wing detonated.  A NAC round slammed hard into the Jade Lion’s side, smashing a turret into ruin before the Clan warship completed her roll and opened fire.

The Izuma II was a capable warship, fast, well-armed and heavily protected for a ship its size, but she was still only a corvette.

At short range the guns of the Jade Lion hammered into the Otaka the impacts physically knocking the smaller ship aside before something was hit.  One of the Otaka’s autocannon’s took a hit a moment before it fired. The gun, the shell and propellant all detonated in a thundering flash of heat and supersonic fragments.  Bulkheads activated but the force of the blast was too great, the explosion ripping into the read to use shells which detonated moments later.  The explosion gutted the forward port side of the corvette and she rolled debris and ribbons of fire streaming from her hull like blood from a wound as her damage control parties worked to save the ship.

But despite this success the Jade Lion was hurting, weapons had been disabled, there was fire on several decks and her support was almost gone.

“Sir! She’s running!”

“Thank god…what is our status?”

“We’ve compartments open to space, the fire on the port side is out, but the secondary reactor’s murmuring.  Department heads reporting casualties twenty-four confirmed dead, at least sixteen crew reported missing and numerous injuries.”  They’d been hurt but they were still going.

“Land forces?”

“They are away and deploying, reporting heavy contact.”

“Understood… give that Clan bastard a few more missile volley’s to keep her honest and then stand down, recover our fighters and look for any life pods.”

The fighting on New Extford was bloody almost from the start.  The two Clusters almost ignored the SLDF regiment and instead threw themselves in a fury at the Second Dismal Disinherited Regiment, leaving only a thin screen to harass the Crater Cobra’s as they made their advance.
At first it seemed that the Clan’s would overrun the landing zone but frantic calls for air support yielded success and the tattered remnants of Gold Flight, one made purely of Eisensturm assault fighters dove through the atmosphere, strafing and bombing the Clan forces even as the Crater Cobra’s slammed into their exposed flank. 

Pushed back the Clusters withdrew in an orderly fashion behind a suicidal rear-guard but under constant air attack and with the SLDF forces holding onto their tail the Clanner’s didn’t have time to regroup or re-arm.  With both clusters reduced to below 50% their surviving officer requested Hegira.  The mauled remnants of the Dismal Disinherited were at first unwilling to grant this but the SLDF commander on the ground, seeing that the Falcons had backed into very defensible terrain realized that crushing the Clan forces would take time and cost too much blood and accepted.

Colonel Nakambe watched the Clan forces pull back, they were all damaged, all showing signs of the hard but honourable battle they had fought.  Their blind fury against the Mercs had saved his command from too many casualties but still, there were many Mech’s that required hours of work whilst the Dismal were just that, in a dismal state, battered and exhausted with three dropships crippled on the ground, one fatally when a crazed Turkina had stormed up a disembarking ramp and opened fire inside.  The detonating supplies and ammo had pulped the Mech but the Overlord he’d boarded would never fly again.

“Send word to the fleet, they can contact command and say that New Extford once again belongs to the Lyrans.”  While victory had come at a cost at New Extford Kandersteg and Atocongo had fallen to combined SLDF/LCAF forces with far less casualties and damage.  In both the Timkovichi and Santana systems the Inner Sphere liberation forces had been stopped dead by the Jade Falcons.

Clan Jade Falcon’s leadership realize that they have over extended themselves and are unable to fight off the Inner Sphere forces.  The Jade Falcon Khans call their garrison forces from their periphery holdings effectively abandoning them to the wilds of the periphery.  They also allow the Sea Foxes to trial for five additional worlds adjacent to those that the Sea Foxes had seized from the Hell’s Horses freeing up additional Jade Falcon garrison forces for use elsewhere in their Occupation Zone.  With recent territory increases the Sea Foxes find that their Clan Touman is over extended and are unable to heavily garrison their planets the trader Clan finds that they do not need to secure their worlds as heavily as the Jade Falcons or Wolves instead allowing their newly acquired planets a little autonomy.

Holding Area, Razor Teeth (Sovetskii Soyuz-class Heavy Cruiser)
Arcadia, Wolf Empire
24th April 3103

Along with nearly her whole company Captain Dana Carlyle sat cross legged on the floor on the gravity deck on board the Razor Teeth.  Her battle armour team had been ambushed by a group of Clan Wolf Elementals that had raided Rahne striking at the Gray Death Legion.  She’d been knocked out in the opening Wolf short range missile salvo and missed nearly the entire battle only coming to as the survivors of her company were forced into the Wolf DropShip and taken off planet.  They’d all been informed they were now bondsmen of Clan Wolf.  As she sat on the deck Dana focused on the floor she should have remained a doctor she had no right being here she thought as a pair of Wolf boots stepped in front of her.  Dana looked up at the massive mountain of flesh and muscle in front of her “I am Star Captain Franklin Shaw you are my bondsmen” he said in a deep voice Dana did not move “come with me” he said still she didn’t move in one rapid movement Shaw yanked her up onto her feet.  Around her several Legionaries raised with her Shaw moved faster than she had ever seen anyone move before rapidly striking three of her warriors with rapid jabs and kicks knocking them down.

“NO!” Dana shouted “I’ll come don’t hurt them any further” she demanded immediately Shaw rounded on her with a back handed slap that knocked a tooth from her mouth.

“First rule of being a Wolf speak properly” he demanded as she looked back at him defiantly.  He then took a step closer “second rule never make another demand on me.”  He ordered “now follow me.”  He said walking out of the room Dana glanced at the other warriors of the her company one last time before being led away and into another room.  This room was different from the other instead of an open space instead there were tables and a large viewscreen on the wall showing another WarShip “you will be transferred on board the Provider.”  He said

“What will I do there?”

“The Provider is our science vessel you will work with our scientists there.”  He said his voice softer now no longer speaking as the Wolf warrior.

“I am a warrior” she protested

“But you were trained as a scientist on Terra” Shaw replied “the Wolves can use scientists more than another battle armour operator” he said. “The Provider will be your home for a time we were forced to move our scientists on board the WarShip due to problems with some locals but you will be safe there.”  He promised her Dana looked at the WarShip on the screen thinking that perhaps finally she would do what she had wanted to do, what she’d been trained to do even if it was for the Wolves perhaps this was her path.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 05 April 2016, 07:20:36 »
Dana on a interesting journey.  Naval Battles were nice read, thank you Dragon Cat.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 05 April 2016, 08:45:08 »
 O0 Nice update!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2016, 12:36:32 »
Great update Dragoncat and i'm honoured you included my part :)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 13 April 2016, 05:48:53 »
Thirtieth Star League Games, Aniversary Event
Solaris VII, Star League Protectorate
Lyran Commonwealth
1st May 3103

The Thirtieth Star League Games begins with Special Anniversary Event on Solaris VII to celebrate thirty years of the Star League Games and forty-five years of the Second Star League before the beginning of the main event.  Each nation that has contributed to the Star League Games sends a company or trinary to the event which is paraded in front of the viewing crowds.  Following this parade many of the participants in the parade have to be kept apart by the SLDF garrison although no shots are fired between the opposing sides tension remains high.  Even as the Star League Games take place the SLDF’s First ComGuard Regimental Brigade remains on guard ensuring no fighting breaks out.

The crowd inside the Star League Stadium know little of what’s going on outside instead they enjoy the martial display put on by the dueling MechWarriors.  Fighting inside MechWarrior Vanessa Lexington, of the Lexington Lance Mercenary Command, wins the event piloting her father’s customized Crusader BattleMech.  Hours later Lexington’s Lance begins a contract off Solaris VII with the Draconis Combine.

Naval Battle
Victoria, Zilang PDZ
12th May 3103

Breathing deeply into her air mask Duchess Kym Hasek looked out at the incoming Capellan aerospace fighters; assault DropShips and the WarShip CCSS Zhoushan, a Wudang Jian-class Frigate.  Glancing out each side of her cockpit window Kym saw the rest of her squadron of Dagger OmniFighters forming up “all right boys and girls we’re going in you all know the drill we hit the fighters and DropShips and clear the way for the Charles Davion to cause some damage.”

“It’s a shame the Black Prince is at the Nadir point she can cause some real damage!”  Jimmy Burke called out

“The Charles Davion will cause plenty damage all by herself if we open the door for them” Kym said as the Capellans charged forward so did the AFFS forces.  “Dive and attack Razors on me!”  She called out using her squadron’s unofficial nickname the fighters turned on a Capellans.  The Razors’ Dagger OmniFighters were both faster and more maneuverable than the attackers but the attackers were more numerous and had heavier armour.  Moving in behind a pair of ancient Transit fighters Kym unleashed her fighter’s rotary autocannon peppering the rear of the Capellan craft tearing into the armour between the twin engine nacelles of the fighter focused on her target Kym followed up on her attack by firing her lasers into the Transit exploiting the damage made by her autocannon tearing open the rear of the fighter.  As she banked to the left she saw two other Transits burst into flames but the Capellans did not stop instead they continued forward straight at an AFFS Avenger DropShip.  The remaining three fighters in the squadron opened fire with their guns hitting the Avenger with three massive long tom cannons.

Even as she turned her Dagger for another pass against the Transits she saw the front of the DropShip peel open as the rounds and the follow up laser fire tore open the hull.  The DropShip dived out of the formation still under control but likely out of this fight its attackers, the Transit fighters, continued forward towards the Charles Davion behind them a second squadron of Transits followed through the hole created by the departed Avenger.  “They’re going for the destroyer burn these Transits!”  Kym ordered opening fire with her rotary autocannon on fully automatic fire tearing open another Transit fighter as it passed by her if the Capellan craft had targeted her instead of focusing on the Davion III behind her it probably could have probably destroyed her OmniFighter.  “This is a suicide run…” she thought glancing at her sensors she saw that the Capellan WarShip had remained back trading long range shots with the Charles Davion as the AFFS destroyer advanced.  Ahead the first Transits had reached their target pummeling the Charles Davion with point blank long tom fire.  The damage did not penetrate the hull of the destroyer but it left nasty scars along her port side the destroyers own weapons cut another fighter out of space even as they turned away.  The second squadron of Transits caught between Kym’s fighters and the Charles Davion opened fire on the destroyer as soon as they were able Kym saw a flash of light as the four remaining fighters launched a volley of anti-ship missiles carried along their bellies.  Kym hated bombing practice the weight of the weapons slowed her fighter’s response time but these Transits would have barely noticed, they were like flying bricks on the best of days, “Charles Davion, Charles Davion, you have a volley of missiles inbound!”  She shouted an unnecessary warning the five hundred-and-twenty thousand ton vessel had more tonnage dedicated to its sensors than the weight of her fighter.

The Capellans it appeared had prepared for the Charles Davion’s sensors, and its defences, moments after the launch of the missiles Kym’s sensors were flooded with missile contacts “what the hell?”  She said seeing no further missiles launched from the Transits which were falling to her squadron’s guns.  Ahead of them the Charles Davion’s sensors had detected the same hoard of missiles approaching as Kym’s Dagger had and its anti-missile systems had activated lighting up the Davion III against space the close-in protective cannons spat hundreds of bullets into space attempting to knock the fake missile contacts off target.  Two of the real missiles were struck by the flak fire in moments the amount of missiles was dramatically cut down but it was too late the remaining missiles struck the hull of the WarShip blowing holes in the armour.  A Davion III was designed to take the sort of punishment the Capellans were subjecting it to but not what came in the last missile as it struck the destroyer the missiles nuclear warhead exploded for a moment Kym’s eyes and sensors were blinded by the blast from the missile but as her vision returned Kym could see the result the FSS Charles Davion which had stood proudly a moment before was no more than a burning hulk its hull decompressing as fire tore through what remained.  Kym thought she saw an escape pod jettison from the hull but she couldn’t be sure and there was nothing she could do for those sailors.  “Break it off!”  She ordered her remaining fighters on her sensors she could see more of the Capellans were approaching their position “all remaining fighters and DropShips this is Captain Kym Hasek I’m taking command of all remaining forces” without the Charles Davion to coordinate them they’d be in trouble against the Capellan WarShip at least until the Black Prince could transit from the jump point.  “The Capellans have won this round, turn for Victoria; we’ll fight them from the ground!”  She she said pulling her fighter away from the incoming Capellan WarShip she hoped that her fighters could reach the planet before the massive frigate and she hoped that the FSS Black Prince didn’t take too long getting back to the planet.

As the Capellans closed on Victoria around the system more Capellan forces moved in capturing the systems of Quirnberton and Fraser as the noose closed around the former Capellan Commonality Capital.  Still supporting the Capellans the Taurian Concordat landed forces on the planet of Zanzibar causing more trouble for the AFFS.

Public Announcement, Lyran Commonwealth Birthplace
Arcturus, Arc Royal Theatre
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
18th May 3103

The leader of the Lyran Commonwealth of Archon Jessica Steiner to a podium in front of the Lyran Commonwealth’s birthplace on the Chadrik continent of Arcturus, capital of the Lyran Commonwealth.  “Ladies and gentlemen today I speak to you as a proud member of this Commonwealth our military forces in conjunction with the Korbin’s Kommandos mercenary command the final known cell of the Brotherhood of Cincinnatus based on Carlisle.  Their leader Mason Whyle was captured alive as was Lindon Ashley, the leader of Democracy Now, these threats to our Commonwealth have been stopped by the dedicated work of our people and our allies.”  She said glancing down “these criminals will be tried in our courts of law and if found guilty will be sentenced by the people who have been harmed by they actions.”  She said the gathered crowd applauded politely.  “Today I am also announcing that I have decided that I will be stepping down as an active member of the Lyran Commonwealth Navy, a part of me will also remain with those stars, but my heart has other priorities” she said as the camera panned back it showed the Archon’s growing baby bump “thank you ladies and gentlemen.”  She said and the camera was allowed to a fade to black.

Bounty Hunt
Trace, Periphery
29th May 3103

Moving his Marauder II over the plain the Bounty Hunter looked at his Heads Up Display (HUD) his target was in sight.  Three days ago the Free Worlds’s League hired Bounty Hunter supported by the Miller’s Mailed Fist and The Thunder Road Mercenary Battalions had landed on the independent periphery world named Thrace.  The two mercenary units had moved quickly against the pirate forces overwhelming them leaving their commander, who had run at the first sign of major attack, for the Bounty Hunter.  Moving forward flanked by a modified Mauler and an Ebon Jaguar the Bounty Hunter raised his Mech’s heavy arms striking out at the pirate known as Hal the Hammer.  Hal piloted a Warhammer BattleMech the classic heavy design of any self respecting MechWarrior with heavy particle cannons, lasers, short range missiles and machine guns.

With his own heavier particle cannons the Bounty Hunter showed the would be pirate king what it meant to have a real BattleMech his Marauder II had long ago been rebuilt with Clan technology and it was more than a match for the old Warhammer.  He concentrated on the Mech’s legs burning away armour mounted there the Bounty Hunter immediately followed up with a gauss rifle shot which smashed the remaining armour there and crushed the knee joint on the left leg.  With a massive amount of armour loss the Warhammer stumbled forward down onto a single knee.  Inside his enclosed helmet the Bounty Hunter smiled impressed that the pilot had kept the Mech off its back.  Raising again to its feet the Warhammer returned fire with both PPCs one went high the other slammed into the Marauder II’s right leg glancing at the damage statistic Christopher almost laughed barely half a ton armour little else.  “You shouldn’t fight battles you can’t win” he said firing both particle cannons again targeting the same left leg this time both particle cannons burned through the limb severing it above the knee as the seventy ton Mech fell forward it slammed a particle cannon into the ground to stop it falling on its face.  Amazingly the pilot was still able to raise his other arm and fire another shot at the Bounty Hunter’s Marauder II the man-made lightning bolt flew over his cockpit.  “Stand down” he called out looking down at the prone BattleMech.

“Screw you” the pirate spat back firing another particle shot catching the Bounty Hunter’s Mech on the upper torso.

“Not today” Christopher said targeting the Warhammer’s remaining arm with both particle cannons and his gauss rifle.  All three weapons bore through the Warhammer’s armour boring into the Mech’s shoulder and torso smashing the joint and the arm.  Under the damage the limb collapsed and without it to prop up the Warhammer the seventy ton Mech fell onto its face unable to move.  “You’re going to face who you have harmed” he said.

Hours later the infantry forces attached to The Thunder Road dug Hal the Hammer out of his BattleMech the pilot had committed suicide in his cockpit instead of facing those who he had harmed.  Regardless the Christopher Grant’s mission was complete, he’d be paid, his first payment as the Bounty Hunter.

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2016, 12:27:05 »
Nice.  While I'm not a big fan of the bounty hunter I like the stories you add in.  Its better then just seeing the stuff in some timeline.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2016, 13:20:54 »
Nice update, good to see the Mailed Fist are now working in the reborn FWL  O0

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #22 on: 14 April 2016, 04:45:49 »
Just as well I designed the Mercury class to take a licking and keep on ticking if the Copies are breaking out the fireworks.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 14 April 2016, 07:28:51 »
An excellent update! :) A vicious battle between the AFFS and CapCon and the new Bounty Hunter scores his first legit job, excellent stuff!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: 14 April 2016, 21:41:07 »
Woooh! Thunder Road Mercenary company rides again! 

So the Lady Bounty Hunter retired, giving the title to Christopher?

Capellans got lucky in their fight with Davions, so it looks like the making of interesting fight. 

Thanks for the update, DragonCat!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2016, 14:53:48 »
Strategy Meeting, AFFS Command
Kathil, Kathil PDZ
9th June 3103

Around the room AFFS commanders sat and argued their strategies they were using against the Capellan Confederation.  “The Confederation has showed at Verlo and Victoria that they will use nuclear weapons against our forces we should do the same and hit the Capellans hard.”  Marshal Arthur Weaver said looking around seeing at least some support.

“The First Prince will not support the use of nuclear weapons against planetary targets.”  Prince Burton Davion said he was here purely as an observer for his father but his words carried a lot of weight.  “But if they continue to use nukes against our WarShips, or strike against ground targets, authorization to use them against enemy WarShips will likely be cleared.”

“I agree with the Prince using nukes should be our last resort” Nathaniel Hasek said looking around the faces of his commanders he saw at least three who looked like they disagreed.  “If we can keep them at range and keep our WarShips defended then we should be able to minimize our losses.”  The Field Marshal said looking around the table “our forces on Victoria are holding the Capellans.”

“It’s a shame the SLDF won’t let us pass through the Prefecture we’d be in striking distance of Sian and Glasgow that would make Liao think twice.”  One of them said

“But the SLDF won’t let us pass” another repeated as if to reinforce the point.  The SLDF had surprisingly refused to allow the Federated Suns, a Star League member state, to use the Kittery Prefecture as a base to strike against the Capellans.  Leader of the Prefecture Protector-General Devlin Stone had stated that the Federated Suns conflict with the Capellan Confederation was not a Star League conflict and that the SLDF was reforged to minimize the amount of conflict in the Inner Sphere and that his SLDF units would continue to support peace.  He had said that should one side, regardless of their Star League status “cross the line” then the Kittery Prefecture would act where that line was Stone refused to elaborate.

“How about we strike at Liao?”  Richard Steiner said everyone glanced at the Colonel in surprise, none had expected him to speak up, he was here purely as Nathaniel Hasek’s aide.  “We continue to draw their attention to Victoria and its defence but at the same time we strike hard at Liao take it just as we did during the Fourth Succession War force House Liao to stand up and look at us.”  He looked around seeing others agreed with him the idea of returning to the glory of the Fourth Succession War resonating with many of them. “We can hurt the Capellan war effort more by taking Liao than any other planet within our reach.  We can force the ending of this conflict on our terms.”

“I don’t disagree with you” Nathaniel Hasek admitted glancing at the younger man approvingly “but I’m not sure we have the forces for such a strike.”

“Call on the reserves from the Crucis March and Draconis March” Richard Steiner suggested seeing the surprise on the other face “only until we secure Liao then they go back to their garrisons.”

“And what if the Capellans nuke those troops” Marshal Weaver said “we will leave the Combine and Nova Cat borders at reduced strength.  Not only that there there is no guarantee your actions will break the Capellan’s resolve or stop the raids we could be creating a longer conflict.”

“I know this Marshal” Steiner said “however we are spending troops at Victoria and making little progress in driving back the Capellans in fact in many ways we are losing territory.  Victoria’s shipyards are gone, its factories we have already stripped as much as we can, if our actions on Liao cause us to lose the world the Capellans will gain an empty shell.  If we strike at Liao we could take significant steps forward.”

“He is right we have stripped much of what Victoria had to offer us.  The naval battles to date have rendered the shipyards useless permanently, some of our analysts suggest that elements will enter the atmosphere over the next couple of years if we don’t do something about them, Victoria could be a rock that will drown us.”

“Getting enough support to Victoria to convince the Capellans to keep their eyes there could be a problem” Admiral Amanda Watney said she worked for the Federated Suns Logistics Division and Capellan naval forces were making things harder in the system.

“We still hold the jump points forcing the Capellans to use pirate entry points” one said “deploying the Dresari and Sortek to the pirate points would cut the Capellans ability to resupply.”  He said naming the two Davion III Destroyers that were supporting the Mercury-class Black Prince.

“Until the Capellans resorted to the use of nuclear weapons then we’d lose two more WarShips.”  Fleet Admiral Blaine Webster said finally speaking “sir the navy understands that our vessels could die in the black of space.  The Mercury-class could indeed survive a nuclear strike…”

“Just because it could doesn’t mean that it should” Steiner finished with “the WarShips and our ground forces in the Victoria are already a distraction all they have to do is remain in place.  The Capellan preoccupation with them will work in our favour.”  He said Steiner immediately saw a wave of distaste around the room the FSS Black Prince was the pride of the Federated Suns navy for her to be used as a distraction instead of at the forefront of an operation did not sit well with many.  At the same time however he also saw Fleet Admiral Webster looking relieved that the Black Prince would not need to be tested by such a trial of endurance.  “However there is something that the Black Prince could do for us…”  He suggested knowing that if he didn’t do something the men and women around the table would vote down his plan in a heartbeat, not because there was anything wrong with it, only to save face.  Off to his side Nathaniel Hasek nodded quickly hiding his smile of pride “the next resupply mission to Victoria.  The Black Prince should escort the supplies and replacement troops to the planet, we can pair her with four Blockade Runners, which should minimize the risk of nuclear weapons, and once she arrives at the planet she can target the Capellan Frigate in the system drive them off and gain our people on the ground some peace.” He said adding things to his plan on the fly wasn’t a necessary plan but it needed to be done to gain support “they don’t need to destroy the frigate just make a very good show.  Convince the Capellans that we want to keep Victoria and keep up the ruse just long enough to make Liao a target.”  He knew that the other members of the command meeting would want to kill the Capellan vessel but to Richard Steiner it was all to support his plan and to support the conquest of Liao.

Approaching Pirate Base
Holden, Hall
Star League Protectorate
12th June 3103

Weeks of operations had gone to hell in a matter of hours now Lt Morgan Christifori and his lance were running across the surface of Hall smashing through the trees several kilometres south of Holden a long abandoned hamlet which the SLDF believed to be the centre of operations for a pirate band.  Chistifori’s company commander Captain Rudolph Blight had gone in with his two lances instead of waiting for the battle lance and their infantry and quickly found himself outgunned by the surprise appearance of an entire company of Mechs supported by several armoured vehicles and missile equipped infantry.

“Move your asses people!”  He called to his lance “Bigfoot this is Little Cheese we’re roughly two minutes from your position sitrep!”  Christifori called out he hated Blight’s nickname for him, all because of his father, but after hearing some of the other nicknames made up by his CO it could have been worse.

“We’re holding our own we’ve got a tech and weight advantage on them.  The vehicles are the biggest problem all hovers; they are trying to get in behind us on our eastern flank.”  His commander said

“Kim you and I will jump in.  James, Bo you come in strong backing our play.”  Christifori ordered thumping down on the foot pedals of his BattleMech.  One of the reasons Captain Blight had nicknamed him ‘Little Cheese’ was because of the Penetrator which Morgan now called his own.  His father had long ago had the Mech modified with Clan technology giving him an advantage over regular Mechs of the same weight and giving it far better chance against heavier machines.  Thumping down on the foot pedals launching the seventy-five ton BattleMech into the air on a trail of flame moments later alongside him Kim’s Thanatos rose on its own jump jets.  Below them James and Bo in their ground bound Rakshasa and Marauder BattleMechs would be keeping pace with them through the woods.  From his height advantage James saw the battle and saw the hovercraft that were circling behind Blight’s forces were four Saracen hovercraft.  Morgan took a risky shot with his left arm extended-range large laser missing his target wildly before his Penetrator started falling towards the ground just before impact he cut in the jump jets once more to cushion the landing.  “Saracens unsure on their load-out” he called out preparing for a second jump that would take him into combat.

“LRMs and SRMs or MRMs and SRMs” Bo called out the standard configurations of the hovercraft “either way they don’t have the armour for a stand up fight they are probably going to take a pot shot at the Captain then run for it.”

“We’re not letting them” Christifori said “stick to the plan, Kim on me” he ordered a moment later he regretted what he’d said since both Bo and James were convinced there was something going on between the two.  There was nothing going on but because the two other MechWarriors had never advanced beyond puberty it was a source of constant remarks from them.

“Hey Cheese, no consorting with the hired help, you’ve got a legacy to live up to…” Bo called as the two Mech’s jumped into the air.  This time Morgan didn’t bother trying any special aerial shots instead he launched the Mech into the battle area landing nearly three hundred metres from the circling hover craft.

“Kim, three and four, I have one and two” he ordered leveling his Mechs two arms.  While the Penetrator was a humanoid styled Mech instead of arms that ended in human like hands the Penetrator’s arms were like two long laser barrels.  Instantly Morgan thumped down on the trigger sending a single laser shot at both the first two Saracens.  Firing so close to a jump resulted in a wave of excess heat flooding into the Penetrator’s cockpit only Morgan’s coolant vest wrapped around his body kept him conscious and functioning in the furnace.  Heat was the one major flaw most BattleMechs suffered with even as Morgan fought against it in his Penetrator he saw that one of the lasers had missed completely burning through the air until it dissipated into nothing while the other burrowed itself deeply in the front of the lead hovercraft.  The lightly armoured hovercraft couldn’t survive such a hit and it spun out of control and into a rock crashing heavily before exploding into a ball of flame.

Kim’s fire had been more concentrated she’d fired a single laser into the first target then followed up by a medium range missile volley on the same vehicle ensuring its destruction.  She’d then launched into the air using her Mech’s jump jets landing closer to her second target to deliver a laser volley from her Mech’s torso weapons array.  Christifori could imagine the heat running through her Mech at the moment he hoped her staggered fire approach would mean the heat would bleed off more easily.  Regardless both of her targets were down while one of his was still active, but not for long, moments later as Morgan sighted to make a second shot at his other target a long range missile volley from his lance’s Rakshasa ended the Saracen’s life with a series of hits that knocked out the hovercraft’s engine.  Christifori glanced at James’ Mech for a couple of seconds considering saying something his pause was long enough for the MechWarrior to jump on.  “What you turning all Clan on us Cheese?”  James joked Morgan shook his head and tried not to laugh he had a rank and position over them but rarely did he hold them to rank especially when in combat.

“All of you turn and support command lance” he ordered as they turned they were greeted with ringside seats as Captain Rudolph Blight’s eighty ton Mauler BattleMech was beheaded by an enemy particle cannon.  The massive humanoid giant appeared to exactly still for a moment, as if the Mech was trying to make sense of what had happened to its human brain, before crashing uncontrolled to the ground.

Although inexperienced their company was disciplined enough for Blight’s second in command Lt Ben Mason to know what to do next.  He didn’t waste time in calling out orders showing them all he was fully in command.  Morgan Christifori didn’t argue with the man they may be equal in rank but Mason had three years on him and Christifori knew better than to question someone during a battle.

Glancing at the downed Mauler for a moment Christifori turned his guns on a Shadow Hawk BattleMech still struggling with heat he fired a single large laser blast into the Mech’s right leg.  The Mech staggered back maintaining its footing despite the large burn down its thigh-to-knee.  He followed up with a second large laser shot that burned the Mech’s over shoulder autocannon to slag disabling the lighter Mech’s main gun then jumped his Mech over the lighter Mech striking it with several medium pulse laser blasts.  Surprisingly the Mech stayed on its feet during his assault more surprisingly the Shadow Hawk raised its arms in surrender and shutdown its targeting systems “Lt Mason we’ve got one surrendered over here.”

“We’ll take the human Intel Christifori guard that Mech until our infantry arrive.  Battle lance take your orders directly from me he ordered.  Morgan Christifori hated being sidelined by Mason but he was the closest Mech to the surrendered Shadow Hawk and technically the MechWarrior was his prisoner until the infantry arrived his Penetrator could also use the time to cool down.  Watching the battlefield Morgan moved his own Mech behind the surrendered Shadow Hawk ensuring the pilot would not be able to slip away unnoticed and making the pilot fully aware if he did try something Morgan’s guns would be aimed directly at his weak rear armour.  The only real way for the pilot to escape now would be to trigger the Mech’s ejection system and hope the chute brough them far from the battle unfortunately for the pilot the countryside all around them was barren and not the best for survival on foot.
Out of the corner of his eye Morgan caught a glimpse of something moving quickly in out of reflex he turned the Penetrator’s turret-styled waist towards the target seeing a thirty-five ton Gurkha charging in with its massive Mech-sized sword raised with no time to raise the arm mounted large lasers Morgan triggered all six torso mounted pulse lasers two missed wildly burning the dirt around the running thirty-five ton Mech but the other four struck home burning away enough armour.  Unbalance the Mech cause it to veer to the right as the pilot fought to keep control not looking to engage the Gurkha in close quarters Morgan slammed down on the foot pedals of his Mech raising it off the ground on its jump jets as he did Morgan extended the left leg connecting with the charging Gurkha.  The impact was devastating for the Gurkha which was still off balance from the laser attack the physical impact with another Mech was too much for its pilot to control and the charging Mech was knocked to the ground falling on its right side.  As the Mech rolled over the ground its right arm, which included the lethal sword, dug into the ground and was torn completely off the Mech’s body.  Unfortunately the physical attack hadn’t been good for Morgan’s Mech either the impact had crushed one of the jump jet exhausts causing the Penetrator to come down off balance.  Slamming into ground faster than it was designed to the Penetrator’s left leg ankle actuator collapsed under the impact causing the seventy-five ton Mech to stumble forward but fortunately not fall.  “Crap!”  The young pilot exclaimed seeing the damage the jump jet was destroyed and he wouldn’t be able to move faster than fifty kilometres per hour until the damage was repaired glancing over he saw the Gurkha Morgan saw it had suffered far more and had been unable to rise from its prone position.  He guessed that the pilot had been knocked out or the gyro was damaged regardless it looked like the Gurkha was out of the fight.

Looking down at his sensor images he saw that the rest of the company had destroyed five more Mechs and forced the remaining pirate Mechs to stand down hopefully ending the fight.  He double checked his sensors and saw that the surrendered Shadow Hawk still where he’d left it.  “At least something went right” he whispered to himself in the last three weeks Morgan had fought these pirates four times with this particular battle being the easiest by a long way.  He was getting sick of the skirmishes and just wished they could fight a proper battle and just finish it but these raiders seemed to be well supported.

Command Briefing
Filtvelt, Filtvelt Coalition
Periphery
22nd June 3103

“Your people were supposed to be here to help my people Field Marshal instead Clan Nova Cat has seized two more of our worlds and cost the Filtvelt Coalition yet further lives.”  Marquees Helen Trempealeau said angrily staring at Federated Suns Field Marshal Daniel Robertson commander of the First Tikonov Cossacks RCT.

“We have deployed our units on Filtvelt, Marielund and Skepptana on each world we have helped your people reinforce their positions and secure you from any attack.  We were set here to help reinforce your position it is not my problem that the Nova Cats desire your worlds more than you are able to defend against.”  Robertson replied “Marquees even at your current production capabilities and at the buying power of Filtvelt’s banks I do not see how you can counter Clan Nova Cats attacks.  You should consider First Prince Davion’s offer of a return to full membership status within the Federated Suns your people have shown that they can stand alone but now it is time you return to the fold.  With the Federated Suns full ground and naval support as well as the diplomatic support of House Davion you will be able to turn back the Nova Cats.”

“I have thought little else about the First Prince’s offer” the Marquees replied calmer now closing her eyes thinking “contact the First Prince” she said finally accepting that the Filtvelt Coalition needed help against the superior forces of Clan Nova Cat.

Three days later as Clan Nova Cat forces landed on Fugeres and Marielund Federated Suns’ Crucis March leader Field Marshal Paul Bowman replied to Field Marshal Robertson’s communication just as Clan Nova Cat landed forces on Fugeres and Marielund.  With the Federated Suns announcing Filtvelt’s return to the Federated Suns even as the Wild Geese and Vanguard Legion Mercenary Regiments fought a pitched battle alongside the First Filtvelt Militia against Clan Nova Cat.  With Filtvelt, Skepptana and Marielund officially Federated Suns worlds First Prince Victor Steiner-Davion speaks to the nation.

“Sons and daughters of the Suns I am First Prince Victor Steiner-Davion.  Today I speak to you to announce that the worlds of the Filtvelt Coalition have chosen to return to the Federated Suns.  These worlds have stood alone for many years and they prospered, that is until Clan Nova Cat struck them, I now call on these attackers to back down or face the full wrath of the Federated Suns.”  He warned knowing that this message would reach the Nova Cats as well.  “We will welcome the people of Filtvelt and their armed forces back into the Federated Suns and together we will see these worlds prosper again.”  Victor said glancing down for a moment before looking back up.

“While today we welcome Filtvelt back into the Federated Suns, and the Crucis March, I also want to remember the Crucis March world of Kirklin which recently suffered the wrath of Mother Nature.”  He said pausing for a moment “despite our best efforts many souls have perished on that world.”  He said looking directly at the camera “even as First Prince there is little I can say to make up for Kirklin’s destruction and the lives lost there only that we will remember them.”  He continued “in an effort to keep Kirklin in our minds the next Hound-class WarShip produced will bear this planet’s name and the Kirklin Phalanx Regiment will be raised by the AFFS to carry this world’s name, and legacy, into the Federated Suns’ future.

Despite Victor’s warning the fighting on Marielund continued for another three weeks with the Filtvelt Citizens Militia effectively becoming part of the two mercenary commands before they were forced to withdraw from the system surrendering it to Clan Nova Cat.  The remaining regiments of Filtvelt’s armed forces the Third Filtvelt Guardians and the Fourth Filtvelt Citizens Militia are accepted as a combined independent command of the AFFS.

Reinforcements
Victoria, Ziliang PDZ
29th June 3103

The Federated Suns Naval units had made contact with the initial Capellan units nearly an hour ago the Capellan aerospace fighters had assaulted them before fading back towards Victoria.  Now their second wave of attackers were closing on them.  “Admiral the four DropShips supporting the Zhoushan are the Scarab, Vickers, Lexington and Chimera.”

“They are ours!”  Admiral Armin Sviatchenkoat snapped in reply naming the four Overlord A3-class DropShips that had been on Victoria’s planetary surface when the Capellans landed.  “What the hell are our own DropShips doing with those bastards?”

“The Capellans must control the primary spaceport” Sviatchenkoat’s executive officer Scarlett Bryne said in response “communications have the Blackstone and Islington divert to alternate landing zones” she said naming the two conventional Conquistador-class DropShips following them.  Between the two ships they carried all the AFFS reinforcements that would be heading to the planet while the other vessels, the four Blockade Runners, which remained in close formation to the FSS Black Prince would target the enemy aerospace units.

“Have all four Blockade Runners target the Overlords kill them” Sviatchenkoat ordered “forward guns target the Zhoushan with the forward battery then turn us hard to port and hit them with a broadside.  All conventional guns against aerospace fighters have our own fighters remain close for fighter and missile defence.”  Sviatchenkoat ordered now it was a waiting game his orders made.  The Conquistador Blockade Runners turned heading towards the enemy Overlords CCAF and AFFS aerospace fighters struck out at each other in the distance between the opposing WarShips.

“Forward battery activated” one of the weapons officers called out “Zhoushan targeted, main weapons firing in three, two, one” he said counting down at the front of the WarShip the heavy naval gauss rifles and heavy particle cannons mounted there fired almost as one.  Propelled almost at the speed of light the gauss rifles and particle cannons momentarily linked the two WarShips across the smaller Zhoushan the weapons tore open the nose of the Frigate causing massive damage.  As the Black Prince turned her naval autocannon broadside was unleashed even as the frigate’s weapons responded against the massive Mercury pitting the Black Prince’s thick hull armour.

“We have inbound eight capital missiles the A3s unleashed everything they had on us they’ve ignored the the Blockade Runners with their first volley! Anti-Missile systems active, our aerospace forces are moving to engage!”  Another crewmen called out.

“Blackstone is moving out of position what the hell are they doing?”  Byrne reported from her chair watching the Conquistador move out of the Black Prince’s shadow “no…” she whispered realizing what they were doing.  The Blackstone intentionally turned into the path of the incoming capital missiles opening its cargo bay as it went releasing tons of ammunition and spare parts intended for the ground forces creating a massive cloud of debris in front of several of the missiles.  One capital missile tore through the formation of debris only to be knocked off course by an exploding long range missile ammunition crate.  The second and third missiles slammed into the Blackstone in an instant the DropShip, all the remaining missiles and more than a dozen aerospace fighters were wiped from existence as both missiles nuclear warheads exploded.

The explosive wave from the explosions washed over the Black Prince burning the ships armour and weapons as the massive battleship plowed through the explosion.  Alongside the Black Prince several of her escorting aerospace fighters flashed through the fire withstanding the damage and remaining with their carrier but many others were now missing.  Deep inside the vessel within the command centre the crewmen darted from console to console monitoring damage.  Unlike the popular tri-vids there was no sparks from the consoles or flying crewmen from the explosions instead the crew continued to monitor the situation as the Black Prince continued on its course.  “Several weapons out, minor injuries reported on several decks and we’ve lost contact with at least twelve fighters” one officer reported glancing at his screen “maybe a couple have lost communications but most of them are just gone.”

“We’re not going to let them do that again.”  Sviatchenkoat said loud enough for all his crew to hear “have our Blockade Runners kill those DropShips and release all of our aerospace fighters to kill theirs I don’t want a single nuke to get near us.  Aft batteries finish the Capellan WarShip as we turn” he ordered watching the holo-tank in front of him as the Black Prince continued its turn the aft naval particle and autocannons tore through the remains of the Zhoushan shattering the frigate’s core destroying the WarShip.  Admiral Sviatchenkoat leaned back into his chair trying to ignore the two gravities of acceleration the ship was sustaining during its turn.  “Contact the Islington and tell her that she can head to the planet and slow us down allow the medics to move around and help our injured.”  He said the battle was not over there were still Capellans out there fighting and they could face attack from the planet’s surface but Sviatchenkoat wanted his crewmen taken care of while there was a lull in the fighting.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2016, 21:49:39 »
Heh, the FedSuns are very active this June.  I like the longer, more in-person flavor of this month too.  Also, just realized how large (at least physically) the FedSuns is compared to it's neighbors.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 24 April 2016, 06:18:15 »
Great update Dragon Cat, lots of heavy fighting between the Suns and the Cappies.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2016, 17:15:36 »
Battle Line
Hall, Star League Protectorate
8th July 3103

He’d wanted a battle and now a battle was what he was getting Morgan Christifori thought as an autocannon raked over his Penetrator’s hull the shells striking his seventy-five ton Mech doing armour damage but little else.  Tracking the enemy Mech to the right hand side Morgan trigged all three left torso medium pulse lasers burning into an enemy Sentinel the forty ton BattleMech staggered under the fire barely remaining on its feet as it continued to run.  Even as Morgan turned to follow the lighter Mech his anti-missile system activated cutting down half of an LRM barrage fired from an enemy Griffin.  Of the remaining missiles only two slammed into his Mech’s left torso.  “So you want to play with a bigger dog?”  Morgan whispered rising his Mech’s left arm firing the large laser there completely missing the lighter Mech “just as well I have two” he said raising the right arm firing his other laser.  A wave of heat rushed into the Penetrator’s cockpit Morgan fought the heat rise even as his laser blast burned over the smaller Griffin.  Even as the medium Mech stepped back it fired another salvo of missiles Morgan’s AMS cut down several of the missiles but a remaining few peppered the Penetrator’s left arm.  Morgan stomped down on the pedals of his Mech launching the heavy Mech into the air, the big Mech flew straight into the path of the Sentinel, still fighting the rising heat the Penetrator landed heavily staggering forward.  The medium Mech opened fire with its arm mounted autocannon cutting a trail of shots over the Penetrator’s torso and head.  As he was was knocked around the cockpit from the hit consoles sparked and shrapnel flew loose striking Morgan’s left shoulder.  Morgan screamed from the pain as blood spattered over the consoles from the wound “this is Christifori I’m hit!”  He shouted the warning into his helmet mounted microphone he tried to ignore the pain pulling the trigger linked to his pulse lasers half of them missed completely.

Off to his side short range missiles from the Sentinel flew out striking the right hand side of the Penetrator the explosive force launched Morgan’s Mech off to the side.  Fighting the pain from his arm Morgan twisted the heavy Mech’s torso following the movement of the Sentinel triggering the pulse lasers.  The pulsed weapons crossed the distance between the two Mechs in an instant cutting deeper into the Sentinel’s light armour the damage staggered the Mech causing it to trip and fall.  “One down” he commented pulling the trigger again cutting into the downed Mech “and out” he said as his sensors showed the Sentinel’s right leg had been amputated by his second attack.  Even as he celebrated the Griffin attacked again hitting his Mech with its particle cannon burning more armour from the left leg.  “Is anyone else receiving me? I need some support” Morgan called out looking down at his console his systems were transmitting but it seemed that no-one could hear him.  Fighting the pain and the Griffin Morgan launched his Mech into the air on its jump jets once more trying to disengage the lighter Mech was faster than his Penetrator and with its particle cannon it would allow it to remain in range.  Even as Morgan tried to disengage missiles flew past the heavy Mech as the Griffin continued to attack.  Morgan fought to stay conscious, as his wound continued to bleed, turned the Penetrator again towards the Griffin right into a particle cannon shot which tore into his Mech’s right torso disabling all three pulse lasers there.  “Go to hell!”  He screamed levelling both of his Mechs arms at the enemy Mech triggering both large lasers at the same time.  The two beams momentarily linked the two Mechs as one laser burned over the left leg while the second laser burned over the right torso knocking the Griffin back.  Unable to control their Mech under so much damage the Griffin seemed to trip backwards falling onto is back.  “We’re not done yet” he said firing both lasers again into the fallen Mech even as Morgan’s fight with consciousness was lost these two blasts cored into the Griffin’s head and torso killing the Mech’s pilot as the Penetrator, with the unconscious Morgan inside, fell to the ground immobile without the control of its pilot.

Around the downed Penetrator the battle raged for nearly thirty minutes as the rest of Morgan’s unit, without the use of communications, fought against nearly a company of pirates who refused to give up.  This was to be their last battle on Hall throughout the conflict on the planet the pirates had tried to avoid an open battle but this time they didn’t have that option.  With the SLDF dedicated to the destruction of the pirates who had violated their territory the pirate force was completely destroyed in the battle ending the threat on Hall.

After the battle Morgan Christifori, still injured and unconscious, inside the Penetrator was recovered with Morgan credited with kills on both the Griffin and Sentinel due to his heroic actions on Hall Christifori is promoted to the rank of Captain in the Star League Defence Force.

Interstellar News Network
INN Studios, Geneva
Terra, Star League Protectorate
17th July 3103

“Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to Geneva to this is an around the Inner Sphere special with me Klaus Ebenhaeser” the male host said as the lights in the studio slowly raised revealing the two broadcasters in a spacious studio standing near a holographic representation of the Inner Sphere.  He was in his early thirties and dressed in a simple business suit without the tie and with the top buttons of his shirt open.

“And me Caroline Franks” his co-host said she had brown hair with blonde highlights and was dressed in a bright blue summer top with dark trousers.  “Tonight we start with an evolving story from the Capellan front” she said as the map zoomed in looking at the Capellan Confederation.  “For the last few months an escalating conflict has brewed between the Capellan Confederation and the Federated Suns with the Capellan Confederation pushing to recapture the system of Victoria while the Federated Suns continues to defend and counter attack.  While the Star League Advisory Council has tried to bring peace between these two nations the Capellan Confederation has continuously rebuffed our efforts.  Instead they are intent on pursuing this conflict by any means possible which so far has included the use of nuclear weapons against Federated Suns WarShips.”  She said as the camera turned back to her co-host.  “As a result the SLDF has announced the formation of another regimental brigade in the Kittery Prefecture to ensure the fighting does not spread into our protected systems.”

“Yes indeed the Star League Defence Force is dedicated to promoting peace throughout the Inner Sphere but it has promised that should it come to an open conflict it will protect its systems from anyone who attempts to bring conflict to these worlds.”  Klaus said agreeing her point “overall the conflict has boiled down to attack and counter-attack with the two sides contesting the Victoria system.  On the ground the Capellan Confederation has steadily gained ground while the AFFS have gained control over the space around the system.”  Klaus Ebenhaeser explained as the holographic display changed to an image of the planet Victoria.  “According to an INN source Duchess Kym Hasek, a member of the Federated Suns Armed Forces, was recently shot down in a skirmish with Capellan forces our sources believe that Duchess Hasek has been airlifted off Victoria and is en-route to Kathil.”

“In related news the Taurian Concordat’s military forces have been seen in action supporting the Capellan Confederation.  As the Taurians are a member state of the Star League Defence Force pressure is mounting on them to withdraw from the conflict or face trade sanctions from the Star League.  SLDF Intelligence places recent Taurian troop movements in the Federated Suns systems of Brockway, Carmichael, Lindsay Midale and Defenbaker engaging in combat against the defenders.”  Caroline said continuing the piece as the hologram returned to the wider map showing several planets along both Capellan and Taurian borders of the Federated Suns.

“Meanwhile in the Lyran Commonwealth it would appear the enigmatic Bounty Hunter has continued his quest against the pirate and criminal elements that have plagued the region in recent times.”  Klaus said as the holographic display changed once more now showing a green painted Marauder II.  “In what has been described as a brutal assault the Bounty Hunter led four other Mechs in a morning assault against Blackburn’s Devils on Baltazar III destroying the Devil’s hideout and almost an entire company of mercenaries who had been hired to defend it.  Once the operation was complete the Bounty Hunter reportedly delivered Tess Blackburn’s head to the Lyran appointed governor of Baltazar III.”

“Staying in the Commonwealth we’ve also received reports that the Stone Spirits have attacked the system of Swatkip in the Commonwealth’s Inarcs Theatre.”  Caroline said almost immediately trying to put the thought of someone’s head in a box out of her mind “throughout the Star League-era and the Succession Wars Swartkip was a repair and supply point for traders, explorers and the military with its extensive array of DropShip and JumpShip repair stations.  For years the system has been protected by a regiment of the Lyran Regulars however recent combat losses against the Stone Spirits and transfers to other borders have seen these defences shrink to as little as a battalion of inexperienced men and women.”  She said as the image between her and Klaus was replaced once more this time with an image of a Zeus BattleMech with the Lyran Regulars insignia on its leg and chest.  “Knowing their specialist facilities would make them a target for raiders the people of Swartkip along with the worlds of Main Street, Engadine and Elume put their resources together to hire the Chaos Irregulars Mercenary Battalion to supplement their defences.”  She said between them the image again was replaced this time by the insignia of the Chaos Irregulars, a planetary eclipse.

“With half of his forces, co-commander of the Chaos Irregulars, Colonel Jake Chowla defended against a Stone Spirit attack by deploying his BattleMechs directly onto the hulls of several space stations while the rest of the Irregulars defended the planet’s surface under the command of Colonel Ariel Peregrine-Simson.  It is believed that the Irregulars lost nearly half of their forces defending Swartkip but that they have captured at least as much in battlefield salvage turning back the Clan force.” Klaus explained describing the events which had transpired in the far flung star system.

“And finally” Caroline said smiling “it appears that we are not the only citizens who should be afraid of the Clan menace” she said pausing as the image displayed the Clan Occupation Zones with each of the five Clans that resided there represented in different colours; green for the Jade Falcons, a dark blue for the Sea Fox Clan, lime for the Hell’s Horses, brown for the Coyotes and finally light blue for the Rasalhague Dominion.  “Over the last month Clan Jade Falcon has lost control over five separate systems to Clan Hell’s Horses.”  She said the two clans were highlighted with their Clan crests appearing inside their representative occupation zones “since the Jade Falcons last attempted to expand into the Lyran Commonwealth they have lost territory to Inner Sphere forces, Clan Sea Fox and now Clan Hell’s Horses.  It would appear that the Clan has over extended its reach and now even it’s claimed capitol system of Sudeten is threatened by capture from another Clan.”  She said as the systems five Coreward of Sudeten turned the lime colour of Clan Hell’s Horses and became part of that Clan’s area of control.

“For all the latest news stories or for further information on the stories we have covered tonight please subscribe to the INN information service.”  Klaus said moving on from the stories “INN is dedicated to bringing news stories to all of the Inner Sphere and beyond without bias.  Come and join us and show you support the truth.  I am Klaus Ebenhaeser…”

“And I am Caroline Franks” his co-host said with a curt nod to the camera.

“And this was the Intersteller News Network” he said finally “thank you and good night.”

Medical Ward, Provider (Volga-class Transport)
Helm, Wolf Empire
23rd July 3103

On board the Provider there was a hive of activity as casualties of the recent fighting were brought in.  It had started with a simple mercenary raid against the Wolf Empire the Wolves had rebuffed the attack.  The Wolves had retaliated against the Daniel’s Avengers positions on Helm and Tania Austrails.  Initial combat against the mercenaries had gone well but then something had gone wrong and now the halls of the Provider were filled with injured soldiers and civilians.  In a darkened corner one Wolf MechWarrior stirred to consciousness “where am I?” He asked he was still dressed in his sweat soaked t-shirt and shorts his left arm and leg were heavily bandaged but the man didn’t seem concerned with that instead his right arm raised towards his eyes “why can I not see?”

“You’re safe” Dr Dana Wolf said stepping closer to the bed “you are on board the WarShip Provider, your eye sight will return in time.”  She explained pulling his arm back down to the the bed.

“You don’t sound like a Wolf” he said noticing her accent and her easy use of contractions.

“I’m not a Wolf, not by birth anyway” she explained “I was born Dana Carlyle I was born to lead the Grey Death Legion.”

“Dezgra mercenaries” he replied dismissively “easily crushed under our heel.”

“Like the Avengers were? Quineg” she demanded using the Clan word carefully the man didn’t reply “you know I chose not to be a warrior?  I chose to be a doctor I chose to help people.”

“How did you end up here?”

“Sometimes life plays cruel tricks” she said administering a pain killer to the MechWarrior. “I had a responsibility to others of my command I chose to honour those responsibilities” she explained “and almost straight away I ended up captured and back in the job I wanted to do.”

“Life has a funny way of treating us” he said his right hand drifting to his left arm finally finding the bandages “how bad was I damaged?”  He asked almost mechanically

“Your arm and leg were both badly burned in the explosion but both will recover, you will recover fully.  You will be able to serve your Clan again.”

“Our Clan” he reminded her

“Yes MechWarrior our clan” she replied

“Do you know if we were successful on the ground?”

“Aff” Dana answered “after a fashion” she said seeing the confusion on his face “a chemical plant exploded after it was hit by stray weapons fire.  The Galaxy Commander contacted the mercenaries and made a deal.  They would be allowed to leave this world and Tania Australis while we would take care of its people.”

“The stavag mercenaries fired on that plant to end the conflict?”

“Neg, it was a stray Wolf artillery round that cause the damage” Dana said correcting him “nearly fourteen hundred men women and children so far have been treated.  I believe that number will triple before the end of tomorrow by the end of the week that number will again triple.”  She said the chemicals which had gone into the atmosphere were lethal to humans trueborn or freeborn it didn’t matter and the winds would bring them in contact with every population centre on the planet and there was little anyone could do about it.

“Sometimes life plays cruel tricks” he said repeating her worlds “my name is Marc.”  He said finally introducing himself.

“I read that on your chart” Dana said coldly

“I am sure you did Dana Carlyle” he said turning his head towards her there was little chance that his eye sight had returned yet but his eyes seemed to pierce through her.  “But hearing the person say their name is how one gets to to know a person.”

“Yes it is Marc” Dana said smiling in reply “rest now MechWarrior your Clan will need you soon enough.”  She said turning away from the bed.

“Will I see you again Dana Carlyle” he asked using her full name again.

“You never know” she said leaving the Wolf to rest.
« Last Edit: 26 April 2016, 17:19:03 by Dragon Cat »

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 26 April 2016, 21:19:55 »
 O0 Nice update and I like the INN part!  keep it up!