Author Topic: Best "Combined-Arms" Dropship?  (Read 4474 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Best "Combined-Arms" Dropship?
« on: 25 April 2016, 23:38:39 »
I curious what people here consider to be the best 3025-to-3060 era dropship for hauling a "Combined Arms" unit with Mechs, vehicles, and infantry.

It/they would need to be able to carry a reinforced company of mechs (or possibly up to two companies) + a reinforced company of vehicles + a company of "special forces" infantry (possibly with some battle armor).

I ask because I'm in an ongoing Federated Commonwealth Civil War campaign. The game host is an experienced player but relatively new to the area of actually using dropships.He initially assigned me two Model-96/Elephant Class Dropship/Tug off the cuff, but now it turns out they might not be right both functionally and era-wise. He's offered to "retconn" them if I can find something more Era-appropriate to replace them with.

That's where I turn to the expertise of the good folks around here....

So, to haul the above described units into battle, what do YOU consider to be the BEST suited "combined arms" dropships for the time period between 3025 to 3060?

savagecoyote79

• Corporal
Re: Best "Combined-Arms" Dropship?
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2016, 23:48:55 »
Maybe a pair of obsolete Fortress class. 1 company each of mechs, heavy armor, and infantry. They lack battle armor capability but they could always be retrofitted for them.
"Like a carpenter's box of tools, each type of gun has its special place and purpose." - James Wesley, Rawles

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2016, 23:55:02 »
FORTRESS class.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fortress

EXCALIBUR class.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Excalibur_(DropShip_class)

...dang. ninja'd on the Fortress class.
but I wouldn't call them 'obsolete'.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2016, 00:17:27 »
Two fortresses sounds like a good bet.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2016, 00:25:29 »
LOL - THAT was a nice and quick consensus!

And looking at it, the Fortress is just about perfect. It's an older design and it's lack of armor could explain how it found it's way into Mercenary hands, being replaced by newer designs that are better equipped. A pair of them have enough going for them that they could allow for some minor growth within the mercenary unit I'm running too.

I like it!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2016, 02:51:39 »
I would say the Lee http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lee_(DropShip_class)  but you would need two to carry the units you'd need.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

bluedragon7

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2016, 04:09:06 »
Overlord, replacing 1 company of mechs with vehicles and infantry
The overlord is fluffed to have been modified to various configurations, so it could be ideal

Nekhron Kirov

• Private
  • Warrior, Poet, Evil Genius, Nerd Lord
    • Clan Blood Spirit
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2016, 07:33:30 »
Definitely the Overlord Dropship, hands down.

Star Col. Cmdg, 88th Crimson Cavalry Cluster, Iota Galaxy
    "Vos Canere Non Velieris"  -  (You Cannot Hide)

savagecoyote79

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2016, 10:07:53 »
2x Fortress class also gives you some sweet artillery support. Just thought I should throw that in there.
"Like a carpenter's box of tools, each type of gun has its special place and purpose." - James Wesley, Rawles

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2016, 10:35:20 »
I would say the Lee http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lee_(DropShip_class)  but you would need two to carry the units you'd need.

The Lee was a SLDF-only design, with few surviving the Amaris Coup, and those survivors leaving on the Exodus, subsequently being lost in the Exodus Civil War. Obviously a backstory can be written for any unit choice, but a Lee is very unlikely.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2016, 14:53:24 »
Semi-canon they may be, but Union conversions are generally an excellent choice; a lance's worth of 'mechs can be replaced by a company's worth of light vehicles, a single 'mech bay can be converted to carry upwards of a battalion of infantry, and so on.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2016, 19:26:36 »
I'm with Fortress crowd on this one.  The Long Toms alone are worth it.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2016, 22:09:54 »
overlord
or seeker and union

the fortress is rare away from house or very big merc units

if you get one, I would only take one, and it would have to be the old
version unless you stole it from a Lyran unit
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2016, 14:08:48 »
The final arrangement according to the GM is that I WILL have two Fortresses in place of the two erroneously originally issued Model-96/Elephant Class Dropship/Tugs. [legal]

According to the GM, given that the Black Knights are a break-away/branch off from former a Lyran unit gone mercenary, the two Fortresses will  both be older models ships acquired from Lyran Commonwealth scrapyards. The official word is they were salvaged and refurbished over time back to fully functional OLDER model versions. [legal]

I'm good with this and GREATLY appreciate the help and advice here. And I can't say I'm unhappy to have two Long-Tom's backing my mercs now either!  ;) O0

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2016, 14:45:34 »
as a former GM,
just to make it rougher on you, I would strip the arty, no way those would end
up at a scrapyard, but 2 BFDS's are still a great start
and as a 3040ish era unit you could mount dual arrow 4s instead :-)
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2016, 12:33:32 »
Fortunately in this case it represents an established mercenary unit with a few decades of history under their belts.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2016, 14:23:50 »
For combined arms, the SLDF's bird was the Colossus.  36 mechs, 72 heavy tanks, 12 platoons of infantry.  And like the desirable Fortress class, a Colossus brings artillery support to its troops as well.

It comes back out of extinction during the Jihad, just after the timeframe listed in the OP.  But:

Quote from: Sarna.net article on the Colossus
A few examples have since been discovered: One crashed example was found on the Lyran Commonwealth world of Phecda by Snord's Irregulars in 3024, from which they salvaged unknown but presumably substantial amounts of Star League-era equipment; another crash-landed vessel was recovered from a hidden Star League depot on Epsilon Eridani by the Lone Star Regiment in 3067 and restored to flight status.[6]

If canonical mercs can find (and restore) a Colossus, why not your players'?

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2016, 20:42:34 »
they only "salvaged" the mechs iirc
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2016, 21:43:03 »
they only "salvaged" the mechs iirc

"...another crash-landed vessel was recovered from a hidden Star League depot on Epsilon Eridani by the Lone Star Regiment in 3067 and restored to flight status."

Sounds like the dropship itself was restored.  ::)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 01 May 2016, 22:19:16 »
we were referring to the first one Snorrds got the toys,
the Lyrans later removed the ship

as to the Fortress iirc many line units didnt even have functional toms on them
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 May 2016, 22:45:43 »
I can assure you that if my unit got their hands a a couple of those through salvage I'd be finding a way to get the Long Toms working again. I have no doubt THAT would certainly be a refit/repair priority for an established merc unit.