Author Topic: Matabushi Aggressor, Succession Wars Battle Armor... sorta.  (Read 2266 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Author: Despite my fervent belief to the contrary, it turns out that battle armor style exoskeletons were not a post clan invasion innovation, but have existed since the days of the Terran Alliance and have never gone extinct. (I originally assumed the exoskeletons of the succession wars were exclusively the more limited types once described in earlier books like TRO 3026 or the Lostech Equipment Guide).

Of course, once fully grasping my error, the only thing I could think to do about it was build succession wars era battlearmor. One caveat, and it's a bit of a big one: Actual armor protection is lostech. Even the most basic of armor types is star league technology that isn't (re?)discovered until after the clan invasion. But, compared to leg troopers, it's quick, can carry heavier weapons, and a squad of them isn't going to be completely wiped out by a single machine gun burst. Worth the investment? That's a matter of perspective...

Also, this suit should be standard tech level even during the succession wars. Unfortunately megameklab forces you to choose an armor type even if you don't put any armor on your suit.

Matabushi Aggressor Infantry Combat Exoskeleton (ICE)

A rare sight, Exoskeletons equipped for combat duty still see use from time to time in security roles and in the less respectable arenas of Solaris. Even rarer are those purpose built for combat. Among these, the Aggressor manufactured by Matabushi industries might be considered a "typical" model. Quicker, somewhat tougher and significantly better armed (often equipped with a portable machine gun to supplement the fixed grenade launcher) than a conventionally equipped infantryman, some regard the Matabushi Aggressor as the next stage in battlefield evolution.

The DCMS might not be among those people, however. Though they evaluated the Matabushi Aggressor as standardized infantry equipment, the Combine military ultimately rejected it primarily due to the expense. Outfitting a six man squad with Aggressor Armor and training them to properly operate it carries a price tag over four times that of a standard rifle squad, an expense considered too excessive for such a lowly element of the DCMS. The Combine has still procured a large number of the suits, both in the standard and jump configuration, however, for use by the ISF and DEST. Matabushi Incorporated itself likewise outfits its own "crisis response" security personnel with the Aggressor, as do the security services of their homeworld of Albiero.

Clan Invasion Addendum

Albiero fell to Clan Smoke Jaguar at the end of the third wave of the Clan Invasion, and with it the production facilities manufacturing the Aggressor. The Smoke Jaguars were reportedly amused by the "quaint" Aggressor suits fielded by security forces and would eventually retool the factory to produce Elemental armor. In the rest of the Combine, the Aggressor quickly fell out of use as soon as true battle armor became available to replace it.   

Matabushi Aggressor  Infantry Combat Exoskeleton
Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
Level            Era   
-----------------------
Experimental    3025+ 
Advanced          -   
Standard        3058+ 
Extinct       3025-3050
Tech Rating: E/X-X-E-D

BV: 25
Cost: 646,200 C-bills

Movement: 3/3

Internal: 6
Armor: 0 BA Standard (Basic)
           Internal  Armor   
------------------------------
Trooper 1         1      0   
Trooper 2         1      0   
Trooper 3         1      0   
Trooper 4         1      0   
Trooper 5         1      0   
Trooper 6         1      0   

Weapons                                Loc   Heat 
---------------------------------------------------
Grenade Launcher (Micro) (Right arm)  Squad    0   
Swarm Mek                             Squad    0   
Attack Swarmed Mek                    Squad    0   
Stop Swarm Attack                     Squad    0   
Leg Attack                            Squad    0   

Equipment                                      Loc   
-----------------------------------------------------
BA Manipulators [Armored Gloves] (Left arm)   Squad 
BA Manipulators [Armored Gloves] (Right arm)  Squad 
Mission Equipment Storage (Body)              Squad 

Matabushi Aggressor  Infantry Combat Exoskeleton (Jump Trooper)
Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
Level            Era   
-----------------------
Experimental    3025+ 
Advanced          -   
Standard        3058+ 
Extinct       3025-3050
Tech Rating: E/X-X-E-D

BV: 26
Cost: 1,541,700 C-bills

Movement: 3/3/3

Internal: 6
Armor: 0 BA Standard (Basic)
           Internal  Armor   
------------------------------
Trooper 1         1      0   
Trooper 2         1      0   
Trooper 3         1      0   
Trooper 4         1      0   
Trooper 5         1      0   
Trooper 6         1      0   

Weapons                                Loc   Heat 
---------------------------------------------------
Grenade Launcher (Micro) (Right arm)  Squad    0   
Swarm Mek                             Squad    0   
Attack Swarmed Mek                    Squad    0   
Stop Swarm Attack                     Squad    0   
Leg Attack                            Squad    0   

Equipment                                      Loc   
-----------------------------------------------------
BA Manipulators [Armored Gloves] (Left arm)   Squad 
BA Manipulators [Armored Gloves] (Right arm)  Squad 
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Matabushi Aggressor, Succession Wars Battle Armor... sorta.
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2018, 21:31:41 »
The canonical "space marine" armor is similar in that it's SW era "battle armor".

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2018, 23:05:46 »
Yeah, until Tech Manual introduced the rule that exoskeletons had to be armored to be sealed, space adapted exoskeletons were essentially battle armor.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2018, 21:01:48 »
The canonical "space marine" armor is similar in that it's SW era "battle armor".

These and the space dock repair suit in Handbook Kurita really blur the lines, at least visually.

Yeah, until Tech Manual introduced the rule that exoskeletons had to be armored to be sealed, space adapted exoskeletons were essentially battle armor.

It's an inelegant solution, but Monbvol and I have both scoured A Time of War and we can't find any rule prohibiting wearing a space suit with an exoskeleton.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2018, 21:25:05 »
Do the penalties for wearing both stack?  I think they're both encumbering...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2018, 21:45:21 »
Quote from: Liam's Ghost
Author: Despite my fervent belief to the contrary, it turns out that battle armor style exoskeletons were not a post clan invasion innovation, but have existed since the days of the Terran Alliance and have never gone extinct. (I originally assumed the exoskeletons of the succession wars were exclusively the more limited types once described in earlier books like TRO 3026 or the Lostech Equipment Guide).

Wait what?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2018, 21:53:50 »
No, he's right... the basic components have always been available except for armor. I remarked on it somewhere here in the last couple of years.

EDIT: Yep, found it...
« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 22:01:08 by Daryk »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2018, 22:03:51 »
Do the penalties for wearing both stack?  I think they're both encumbering...

Exoskeletons and power armor don't count as encumbering, but it would probably count as stacking armor, which would increase the encumbering stat of the spacesuit to very encumbering.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2018, 07:06:07 »
Rog, I saw your question up in the rules forum.  Hopefully we'll get an answer to that soon...