Author Topic: Kitbashing for a Shogun  (Read 2219 times)

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
Kitbashing for a Shogun
« on: 04 September 2014, 16:41:50 »
Ok I haven't started this yet but I will be as soon as I can figure what legs to use for the Shogun. I will be honest I am not liking the build that is out and would like to use the torso from the Ronin from CAV.  I know I would need to modify the top missile rack off and then fill it with green stuff or plasticard. 

I would need to know what arms to get as well as what to probably use for the PPC and the lower torso and legs. The Ronin legs are just a little too bulky and it would take a lot of work I don't have the patience for to file them down. So any kitbashing expert advise will be much appreciated

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Re: Kitbashing for a Shogun
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2014, 19:37:48 »
What about the Zeus's missile arm. It has a similar look, just not sure how it will scale with the CAV mini. Or maybe the Rampage left arm, it would be easy to get two of them and mod one.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2014, 20:03:41 »
Looking at the CAV line, the Assassin's legs might suit. Alternatively, consider the legs of the MW:DA Raider 'Mech.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2014, 20:55:02 »
The assassin legs or I was thinking even the legs from the Thor or Loki. The arms from the cav regent mech would be the best fit. I don't have any of the mw minis. The ppc I'm not sure if I want to mount it on the shoulder or have extend from the torso itself

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

• Corporal
  • Some mechs.... just want to watch the world burn.
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2014, 21:50:06 »
CAV Archer shoulders (I have extra)
CAV Centurion legs
Reseen Crusader lower arms
Reseen Marauder RT cannon

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2014, 00:43:31 »
CAV Archer shoulders (I have extra)
CAV Centurion legs
Reseen Crusader lower arms
Reseen Marauder RT cannon

I am not sure if I want to do that with the archer shoulders and upper arms if that is the case I will just keep what I have from the Ronin itself and cut the barrels off the guns and figure out the missile launchers then.

The cannon from the reseen marauder will probably be very good for the torso

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2014, 09:32:29 »
The assassin legs or I was thinking even the legs from the Thor or Loki.

Be careful when matching CAV torsos to BT legs... I created my custom ROG-1G Rogue by using the torso of a CAV Regent and well honestly, I can't remember where the legs are from, but they were the wrong ones. I say this because they were a bit undersized for the torso... Whatever the unit I took the legs from was a medium Mech, but when paired with the CAV torso, they just didn't work... So watch your scaling.

Caz

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2014, 10:45:14 »
I picked up two CAV Ronin minis for this very same project a while ago. I planned to convert them, but once they arrived, and I saw just how monstrous they are compared to my BT minis, the project fell by the wayside. Your idea of replacing the massive legs is a good one. Problem is; you're going to have a hard time finding replacement legs from IWM that are large enough to look decent with the torso, while still being smaller than the original legs (as Caz has already pointed out).   

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2014, 11:05:06 »
Yeah that is going to be the major issue really. however looking at the legs of a reseen Warhammer IIC and considering its about the same height those legs might be the best choice over the loki/thor re-sculpt legs.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2014, 11:53:37 »
Hmm... Too vertical, while not being bulky enough, I think. The Ronin torso has a lot of mass to it. I do have a set of the later, thicker Warhammer IIC 8 sculpt legs. I can check those out for you, but-- I still don't think they are large enough to look right. Truth be told, my money would be on a set of Doloire legs. Don't have a set of those that I can check though...

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2014, 13:56:39 »
Caz, I think those legs are from a Grendel.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2014, 16:12:53 »
Hmm... Too vertical, while not being bulky enough, I think. The Ronin torso has a lot of mass to it. I do have a set of the later, thicker Warhammer IIC 8 sculpt legs. I can check those out for you, but-- I still don't think they are large enough to look right. Truth be told, my money would be on a set of Doloire legs. Don't have a set of those that I can check though...

It is a 2c 8 that I am actually looking at. However you look at the actual shogun mech it has scrawny looking legs while the upper torso is bulky and resembles an egg standing up.

Choosing the right pair of legs to make it look good is why I am looking for ideas still. I'm going to need the regents arms and I have the cannon for the ppc.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2014, 16:28:21 »
I'm going to need the regents arms and I have the cannon for the ppc.

Ha!... The Regent's arms are also what I got to use for the conversion arms. Too small IIRC, but I will try to takes some pics for you this weekend of the Regent arms, Ronin parts, and IIC 8 legs.

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2014, 20:25:52 »
Maybe Annihilator legs?

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2014, 02:14:53 »
Ha!... The Regent's arms are also what I got to use for the conversion arms. Too small IIRC, but I will try to takes some pics for you this weekend of the Regent arms, Ronin parts, and IIC 8 legs.

Seriously? The arms are small? If you can about the pics that would be nice

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

• Corporal
  • Some mechs.... just want to watch the world burn.
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2014, 14:41:16 »
Reseen longbow legs?

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2014, 01:58:07 »
Might work will look later. I have that mech

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2014, 13:38:36 »
The regent's arms will probably work after seeing the regent. Yes they look small but I believe I have a solution for it. The legs though are the issue. The reseen long bow might work but I think the annihilator legs might work best but that mech is a solid piece

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

faraday77

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2014, 13:49:49 »
The regent's arms will probably work after seeing the regent. Yes they look small but I believe I have a solution for it. The legs though are the issue. The reseen long bow might work but I think the annihilator legs might work best but that mech is a solid piece

What about the torso of the CAV Archer? Should be smaller than both Ronin and Regent, and has kind of a pod/port in the side torso for the PPC.
Gone.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2014, 23:31:47 »
I think Ronin would fit it better for the torso.  But will take a look later on after my game

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho