Author Topic: Renegade Tech 2.0 - Beta Release  (Read 7761 times)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Renegade Tech 2.0 - Beta Release
« on: 10 November 2011, 07:18:05 »
  For a couple of years(!) now, I’ve been promising stats and rules that would allow anyone who’s read my Virginia War stories (central directory) to play out scenarios in that setting if they wished.  Well, here they finally are: the prototype rule-sets for gaming in The Virginia War, as playable with the Renegade Tech rules.

Now, these rules-sets are ‘mods of a mod’ - they assume that you’re familiar with the Renegade Tech rules, as crafted and promulgated by Francis Greenaway.  I’ve made some tweaks based on creating a greater sense of verisimilitude; I’d suggest you read the .pdfs closely and take note of the changes.

Ground Warfare

This first post contains the mods to the ground-warfare rules for ’Mechs and other vehicles.  ’Mech sheets for many canonical designs are available for download at the Renegade Tech website in .xls format; stats (and possibly armour-sheets, if not full-blown record-sheets) for each faction’s TVW-specific designs will be made available with FM-style entries on each relevant faction as soon as possible.

Fair warning: in all likelihood, those upcoming FM-style entries will not cover most of the Inner Sphere states or their improved designs in any sort of exhaustive fashion.  There’s been so much published about them already that I’m not sure I need to go over that territory again, and as willing as he may be, one man simply can’t match the combined engineering and creative talent of more than two thousand worlds.  #P  While I will provide summaries of the advanced systems available to each of the Inner Sphere’s major powers, and detail a sample of their redesigned combat platforms, I will leave much of that experimentation to those who wish to test and exercise their engineering skills under this revised paradigm.  :D  It’s virtually inevitable that many players who try these rules will stick to the PTB-established factions and play out semi-canon Succession Wars battles/campaigns with these rules; I wish them all fun nights of gaming and eagerly await their stories of how things went.  :)
  However, my primary focus will be on providing specs, stats, and fluff on the units deployed by the factions featured most prominently in my alternate-reality.  Naturally, these include my interpretation of the Taurian Concordat in this period, and to a lesser extent the Tortugan Dominions; but my primary focus will be on the non-canonical factions within my equally non-canonical Cavaretta Expanse, including the Union of Sovereign Republics and its Allies, the Principality of Salerno, the Cylon Protectorate, Clancy’s World, the Cylon Republic, and the Colonial Remnant.

If you download these rules and read them - most especially, if you play out games with them - please please PLEASE register your feedback in this thread.  How realistic do they feel?  Are they too cumbersome?  (I don’t think the dice-rolling gets all that excessive, but then again, I played second-edition Shadowrun.  :D)  Which ’Mechs and units shine under these rules, which go from ‘zero’ to ‘hero’, and which fall off their pedestals?  Which weapons, or combinations of weapons, are overpowered or ‘broken’?  Is the ARC-2R once again a ’Mech to strike fear (and missiles) into peoples’ hearts?  :D
« Last Edit: 18 August 2014, 19:41:55 by Trace Coburn »

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Re: Renegade Tech - The Virginia War
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2011, 07:22:40 »
Aerospace Combat - Fighters

This post contains the modified Renegade Tech rules-set for playing aerospace fighters in the Virginia War universe.  These rules are heavily influenced by Interceptor 2.0, including the use of aerospace missiles and the related systems.  Converted stats for all canonical aerospace fighters are included in the .pdf, and a blank ASF armour-sheet is included below (I haven’t had a chance to make up full SSDs for all the new versions of the ASFs yet).  TVW-specific designs will follow as soon as possible.

Note that my sense of verisimilitude required some major changes in how fighters are armed, including a shortening of energy-weapons ranges, the modified templates for those energy weapons, and the fact that it’s basically impossible to use autocannons and LRM/SRM systems offensively in deep-space combat (though in air-to-mud work they’re properly fearsome).  This means that in the fashion of Interceptor, you’ll spend a fair bit of time lobbing XO missiles at each other, or getting right into each other’s pockets to fight it out with your beams.

Again, if you download these rules and read them - most especially, if you play out games with them - please please PLEASE register your feedback in this thread.  How realistic do they feel?  Are they too cumbersome?  (I don’t think the dice-rolling and logistics get all that excessive, but then again, I played second-edition Shadowrun.  :D)  Which fighters and units shine under these rules, which go from ‘zero’ to ‘hero’, and which fall off their pedestals?  Which weapon(s) or system(s) will most skew the fighter-war towards the faction(s) fielding it/them?  Does the LCF-R15 truly go from ‘despised lemon’ to ‘gold standard’, as I’ve written in-universe, or is that asking too much?  :D

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2011, 07:23:25 »
Aerospace Combat - DropShips and GunShips

[placeholder]

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2011, 07:27:24 »
Aerospace Combat - JumpShips and WarShips

[placeholder]

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2011, 07:31:12 »
Directory - Factional Field Manuals

« Last Edit: 26 June 2012, 06:48:35 by Trace Coburn »

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2011, 22:25:50 »
I have played renegade tech, love the damage system.  I will be looking into the aero system.

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2011, 06:32:25 »
Thanks for this I really like it  [rockon],

on a side not I've downloaded some of the Renegade Tech items off the web site & 1 file is in Stuffit Expander format I've got Stuffit Expander on my PC but it does not reconize the file any helpful advice ?... besides dumping the file  ;)

Dave.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2014, 07:40:02 »
  Bad news: Francis Greenaway’s website has lapsed (again), and about a year ago, he chose to hand the torch of developing Renegade Tech on to another.  :'(

Good news: the new developer (none other than yours truly!) has secured hosting for the base Renegade Tech files at OurBattleTech.com, and Tech Level C and D weapons books for a Second Edition of Renegade Tech are well underway!  ;)

Find the files at http://www.ourbattletech.com/downloads/ (many thanks to HikageMaru for colourising the ‘Bloody R’ logo!)

If you have questions or comments about RT or the upcoming edition, please feel free to hit my OBT sub-forum at http://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/virginia-war/ and have your say!

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2014, 08:02:50 »
Thanks for the update!
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Renegade Tech 2.0 — Beta Release!
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2014, 19:58:06 »
  It’s official!  After more than a year of sweat, toil, and anxiety, it’s time to let my rough drafts out into the wild to prove their mettle!  Renegade Tech 2.0 is now in the ‘open beta’ stage of development.  I’ll keep expanding on the system’s toys and assumed-setting as time goes on, but for now, I’ll let my blog-post at OBT.com speak for itself.

The files are available at OurBattleTech.com’s Download section.  Feel free to grab ’em all, dive right in, try ’em out, and let me know what you think!

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
Renegade Tech 2.0 — Beta Release — Gauss Weapons!
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2014, 07:56:33 »
  This week’s update: everyone’s favourite long-range, low-heat headcappers, Gauss weapons!  I can’t count how many more canon designs this opens up for use in RT2, and I’m sure that their fans are glad for this addition to the RT2 system.  ;D

The keen-eyed amongst you will notice some interesting possibilities and flavour-implications are raised by who has developed which variants on the GR# theme.  If you’re inclined to create your own designs based on these systems, please, don’t be shy about putting them up in the appropriate sub-section of Fan Designs & Rules and linking them here.  ;)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: Renegade Tech 2.0 - Beta Release
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2014, 23:56:22 »
This is some good stuff, nice writing and nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

SilvermaneWolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2017, 12:14:15 »
Is there any update on RT?

Anything I can find right now is as of 2014.

Thanks!

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2017, 17:18:23 »
Tagged.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Register