Author Topic: What makes a warrior of Clan ______?  (Read 18396 times)

Warrior-Priest

• Recruit
What makes a warrior of Clan ______?
« on: 28 November 2011, 17:01:57 »
So we know that there are traits that every Clan prizes in its warriors.  Skill.  Strength.  Honor.  But we also know that not every Clan's idea of which traits are most important is the same as that held by others.  The Ghost Bears' devotion to strength has affected their aerospace pilot phenotypes;  the Cloud Cobras don't graduate warriors until they are 22 or so, providing them with an expanded education before their service as warriors of the Clan begins.  The Horses seem to see warfare as much more of a team effort than other Clans do.

I'm curious to know what the Clanners here think.  What, in the view of your Clan , makes the ideal warrior?  What traits are emphasized?  How should one approach battle, mentally and philosophically?  How is your Clan's ideal different from that of other Clans, and why is it better?

Do you even follow your Clans beliefs regarding this?  Would you be considered a maverick within your Clan?  Why?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
Re: What makes a warrior of Clan ______?
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2011, 20:37:22 »
What makes a warrior of Clan Star Adder?

Adder warriors are more than just lone warriors, they are soldiers or commanders operating as part of a larger army.  A good Adder warrior understands both tactics and strategy and prepares for battle with the latter in mind.  They are much more pragmatic than their rivals and will use this trait to their advantage.  While their rivals will wax poetic about the greatness and superiority that will bring them victory, the Adder warrior studies the coming fight, trains, and prepares to meet the task at hand.

The Adder warrior works with his clan to achieve victory and does not do things to the detriment of the greater victory of the clan as a whole.

I like to follow this trend.  I played Smoke Jaguar before and the Adders are so remarkably different.  I think the Adders are closer to what the Kerensky's set out to create than many of the other clans.

(The WoR changed some of this but I'm sticking to it)

To the patient go the spoils

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2011, 22:03:29 »
What makes a Falcon Warrior?

The utter conviction of his belief in his own awesomeness.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2011, 22:57:01 »
Hmm, a Nova Cat warrior.

Adaptability, tempered aggression, and the ability to be take a kick to the groin ... hard ... repeatedly.  ::)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2011, 23:00:50 »
Hmm, a Nova Cat warrior.

Adaptability, tempered aggression, and the ability to be take a kick to the groin ... hard ... repeatedly.  ::)

The Trial of Position is actually a test to see how many kicks you can take.  If you can take more than six and still remain standing, you automatically become Khan.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2011, 23:06:08 »
To make a Clan Wolf warrior you must start with the a lot of ingredients.

Attitude of a Jade Falcon
Brotherhood of the Ghost Bear
Martial talent of the Blood Spirit
Social skills of a Shark Merchant or Raven Diplomat
Strategic flexability of a Star Adder

All these & more go into the making of a Clan Wolf Warrior.

Clan Wolf, we're not just good, were damn good !
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2011, 00:01:22 »
More seriously, I'd note Nova Cat warriors tend to have an extra point of edge over other Clans. A bit ironic when you consider their fortunes as a whole.

Less meta, I think the Nova Cats value those who know when to play their hunches. Tactics, skill and knowledge have their place, but nothing helps more then ducking at the last second before that sniper fires.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2011, 18:39:10 »
Yes, the luck of the Nova Cat is legendary.  As a result, most of our warriors tend to over compensate with massive firepower.  That 'thousand yard stare' isn't just descriptive decoration, we saw that sniper a long time before he was ready to pick a target.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2011, 19:55:05 »
While I'm not an expert, I'm gonna try my hand at this.  Better Sharks than me, feel free to correct me in any way appropriate.

To be a Diamond Shark, it takes the realization that, even if the Warrior is the pinnacle of society, the warrior is nothing without the support of the other castes.  Therefore, it is imperative to go out and keep all the people well supplied.  Without a careful knowledge of resource management and a willingness for compromise and some cooperation, you are going nowhere fast.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2011, 20:16:54 »
its your opinion, you can never be corrected on your opinion.

that being said i'll opt for hell's horses and i think the quote in my sig is a good place to start:

"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."

that was said by tanya delaurel. I also think cooperation between all members of the clan is one of the most important aspect of horse warriors, in that every person helps them accomplish goals. The horses also seem to have an open mindedness about some things that other clans lack, though things are changing for other clans but some things just stay the same  ::)

i probably have more, but right now this was all i could think of.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2011, 20:19:25 »
That respect of ALL Warriors, and the deromanticization off Mech Use is something I've always admired about the Horses.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2011, 20:23:41 »
not just warrior but other castes as well, i think it says something about that in one of the field manuals though i can't remember the exact quote of the top of my head. heck in the DA the horses can be seen playing sports with other castes, and it doesn't even seem to matter of the warriors are the ones who are losing.
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2011, 20:25:33 »
not just warrior but other castes as well, i think it says something about that in one of the field manuals though i can't remember the exact quote of the top of my head. heck in the DA the horses can be seen playing sports with other castes, and it doesn't even seem to matter of the warriors are the ones who are losing.

I feel like it was mentioned in Crusader Clans, but I loaned my copy of that out seven years ago and never got it returned.  The Horses are definitely in my Top Five Clans.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2011, 20:36:12 »

Very much this.   O0
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Warrior-Priest

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 01 December 2011, 03:46:37 »
That respect of ALL Warriors, and the deromanticization off Mech Use is something I've always admired about the Horses.

Same here.  When Kerensky chose the various Clan totems, I don't recall massive firepower and the ability to walk through heavy woods being among the qualities he admired.  The courage of a Wolf, the ferocity of a Smoke Jaguar, and the pride of a Falcon are qualities that a warrior possesses regardless of the machine he or she may pilot.  And conversely, no amount of omnimech technology will confer these qualities on someone who lacks them.

A warrior lays his life down for the other castes, and in this respect the lowliest rifleman is the equal of a 'mechwarrior or asf pilot.  The equipment is irrelevant.  I always liked the Jade Falcon's legend of Turkina - when Elizabeth Hazen is complaining that she has no 'mech, no gun, nothing, she gets a lesson in what defines a warrior.  It is not the weapons she wields, it is her acknowledgement of her role as a warrior and how that fits in the natural order of things.  The determination to do harm to one's enemy, even at the risk of one's own life, makes a warrior, whether he or she uses an omnimech, battlesuit, or a battered katana.

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
  • Si vis pacem.. et caetera, ad nauseam
« Reply #15 on: 01 December 2011, 09:50:06 »
For a Coyote it is having more tons of weapons than tons of chassis  >:D

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #16 on: 01 December 2011, 11:15:51 »
In my eyes, there are two types of Raven warriors...

First, there is the Raven Warrior-Politian. The real fight for them is in the bid and using guile to make his opponent overconfident and beat themself.

Secondly, the is the Raven True Warrior. These are a rarer bread, they are the ones who push past all obstacles with pure talent.

Both are respected by the Ravens and both have their place in our Clan.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2011, 13:46:26 »
Burrock:  trolololololo
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2011, 21:08:52 »
A true Burrock warrior requires the ability to look the other way during under-the-table dealings, the wherewithal to convincingly deny any knowledge of said dealings (that he didn't ever see), and the patience to hide his true feelings until the time is right to collapse the tunnel beneath his enemy's feet.

A true Fire Mandrill warrior has to believe more strongly in his loyalty to his Kindraa and to his own trothkin—regardless of the circumstances—than he does in anything else. He must feel superior to every other warrior in every other Kindraa, even in the face of incontrovertible evidence.

A true Ice Hellion believes that his words are stronger than the size of his chosen 'Mech might convey. And the more words, the stronger the argument. A Hellion warrior also believes being first—scoring the initial hit in a trial, arriving at dinner before everyone else, etc.—is more important than coming out ahead. For the Hellion, beating someone else to the punch is synonymous with victory.

I could do more, but I will stop here.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2012, 11:05:26 by joechummer »

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2011, 21:13:03 »
In my eyes, there are two types of Raven warriors...
I think what you meant to say is there are two types of Raven warriors: those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't.

*bonus points to whomever gets the reference*

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2011, 21:38:21 »
A true Burrock warrior requires the ability to look the other way during under-the-table dealings, the wherewithal to convincingly deny any knowledge of said dealings (that he didn't ever see), and the patience to hide his true feelings until the time is right to collapse the tunnel beneath his enemy's feet.

Well if you HAVE to put it that way....   :D ;)
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2011, 21:46:45 »
Well if you HAVE to put it that way....   :D ;)
The first two parts of that is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but the last part was intended to be inspiring, especially given the Burrock write-up in KLONDIKE: their position shifted in the winds in such as way that none of the other Clans could ever really pin them down.

Author Page
Official Website

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #22 on: 06 December 2011, 20:47:17 »
So, no one else has any more?

Okay, here's a few others, one for each of the invading Clans:

A true Jade Falcon warrior is proud and must adhere to tradition, even when it seems contrary to what is beneficial to the Clan or to the warrior himself. Of course, tradition may be broken when necessary or when one feels it is in the best interest of the Clan; the Jade Falcon responsible will claim the broken tradition has been tradition all along and thus no traditions were broken, and he will face a Trial of Refusal against anyone who seeks to prove him wrong. The Falcon is proud to a fault, and even when beaten he still clings to the sustaining belief that he is among the greatest warriors of all the Clans.

A true Smoke Jaguar warrior must not be afraid to get blood on her hands; in fact, drawing blood is a requirement for most Smoke Jaguar traditions, even when bloodshed would seem unnecessary or wasteful to another Clan. Blood gives a Jaguar strength, for a warrior who can prevail even when wounded is a fearsome warrior indeed.

A true Ghost Bear warrior places her Clan above all else. She is not a solitary warrior who hunts alone; she belongs to a den, a family, and she will do everything in her power to preserve that familial bond, even unto death. She is the den mother, waiting for the perfect moment to strike in defense of her home or those under the aegis of her protection. Some may mistake this patience as being dull-witted, but she will always catch the unwary off guard the moment they underestimate her real potential.

A true Wolf warrior does not hold to tradition for the sake of tradition. Instead he does not do what is accepted but what is RIGHT. He views everything with context. If an enemy leaves their flank exposed, the Wolf will attack it. If the enemy advances toward him, the Wolf will charge forward with fists and feet. The Wolf must always be alert, for what is right for one engagement may be wrong the next.

A true Steel Viper is on a mission that no one else understands. In addition to being a proud, genetically-bred soldier without parallel, his life's goal is to show the other Clans—and eventually the conquered populace of the Inner Sphere—that he alone is capable of being an exemplar of the Founder's true will. He believes others will one day look at him and see the truth, that a Star League wherein the Clans and the Spheroids coexist is an attainable future.

A true Nova Cat warrior views the world through both an internal and an external filter. She knows that the external can affect the internal and vice versa, and she is attuned to the subtleties of this symbiosis. Some may see her as a prophet or a soothsayer, but she is neither: she is able to better predict the future because she pays closer attention to what the world and her subconscious is telling her, and she uses this knowledge to forge herself into a stronger and better-equipped instrument of warfare.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2012, 11:06:22 by joechummer »

Author Page
Official Website

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2011, 21:47:54 »
A true Wolf warrior....fleas....

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2011, 19:56:44 »
Joechummer, those are awesome.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2011, 20:18:51 »
The first two parts of that is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but the last part was intended to be inspiring, especially given the Burrock write-up in KLONDIKE: their position shifted in the winds in such as way that none of the other Clans could ever really pin them down.

I actually like what you said.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #26 on: 07 December 2011, 23:05:58 »
Joechummer, those are awesome.
Thanks. I can get around to all of them when I have a moment.

Author Page
Official Website

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 07 December 2011, 23:34:48 »
A Warrior of the Hell's Horses remembers the truth of war. Machines provide great and fearsome power, but it is the warriors controlling them that fight the battle. Give a coward a 'mech and he will flee danger, but a warrior will find a way to prevail. While the other Clans may claim glory from the weapons they forge, the Horses work to create better Warriors . And above all, a Warrior of the Hell's Horses fights with the certainty that while the Jaguar are feirce, the Ravens are crafty, and the Falcons are proud, Horses always have a Star of Elemntals at their back!
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 08 December 2011, 07:34:43 »
Thanks. I can get around to all of them when I have a moment.

Cool, I am looking forward to that.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Krieghund

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 13 December 2011, 19:40:13 »

Boom, end of thread right there, folks, lol.
It is rumored Khan Pryde shot the first scientist she saw after laughing nonstop for ten minutes.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #30 on: 13 December 2011, 20:25:21 »
There's more than just one Clan, hatchling.  :D

Author Page
Official Website

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #31 on: 13 December 2011, 21:19:37 »
There's more than just one Clan, hatchling.  :D

What kind of Falcon are you?!
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #32 on: 13 December 2011, 23:23:13 »
What kind of Falcon are you?!
The kind that believes we are the best of the Clans. And for that belief to be true, other Clans need to exist, whether we like it or not. You can't be the best of anything if you're the only one of that thing in existence.

Author Page
Official Website

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #33 on: 14 December 2011, 18:27:51 »
After all, if there are no other Clans, who will there be to acknowledge the Falcon's awesomeness?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 14 December 2011, 19:25:09 »
After all, if there are no other Clans, who will there be to acknowledge the Falcon's awesomeness?

Do any of them do that now :P?

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #35 on: 14 December 2011, 19:31:52 »
Do any of them do that now :P?

Truth does not require your belief. But if you want to believe on our behalf, we will not stop you  8)

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 14 December 2011, 19:35:37 »
Truth does not require your belief. But if you want to believe on our behalf, we will not stop you  8)

i see what you did there  :D
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #37 on: 14 December 2011, 20:08:57 »
Back to the relevant topic, I do still plan on finishing all of the "true warrior" blurbs. I have a few written on a different computer; I just need time to finish them. But, y'know… day job, deadlines, etc.

Author Page
Official Website

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #38 on: 15 December 2011, 10:06:58 »
What makes a True Blood Spirit Warrior?

The Courage to hold your course when all the world is against you.
The Tenacity to never admit defeat while there is still a shred of a chance of victory.
The Will to do whatever it takes to win, to The Inner Sphere with the consequences.
The Patience to plan for the future that you might never see.

And the ability to look past your recent history of violating all of those unto the death...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #39 on: 23 January 2012, 11:04:16 »
Nearly done. Here are a few more:

A true Snow Raven warrior fights with words, not with weapons. Both on and off the battlefield, he tells his enemies what they want to hear, and he maneuvers them into believing that what they want to hear was actually their own idea, not some seed planted by the Raven's misdirection. A Snow Raven upholds the power of his navy and the cutting might of his aerospace support. Even if he belongs to a ground unit, he believes with ultimate fervor that to win on the ground, his Clan must first win in the air.

A true Goliath Scorpion warrior walks a unique path that goes backwards, not forwards, for she knows that looking to the blunders and triumphs of the past is the only true way to advance with any real certainty, and she will employ any method necessary—be it physical, mental, or chemical—to set her in this direction. Studying the past failings of other warriors has shown her the merit of uncompromising accuracy in battle. Because of this she will strike with uncanny precision or she will not strike at all, for a shot that she knows will not hit is wasteful and is not a shot worth worth taking.

A true Hell's Horses warrior holds to the spirit of the individual warrior, not the weapon he chooses. Although other Clans may look down upon him for disbelieving the ideal that the MechWarrior alone is the pinnacle of Clan eugenics, he feels such idolatry is a misguided way of thinking: a warrior who does not use all the tools at his disposal is not fit to be a warrior at all. Whether he chooses a 'Mech, a suit of battle armor, an aerofighter, a tank, an infantry rifle, or even his bare hands, he believes to his very core that he will conquer any enemy that stands before him.

The true Blood Spirit warrior knows his original mission has failed. He has survived through fire, and he knows his self-imposed isolation will forge his resolve and temper his focus into an unparalleled implement of Kerensky's vision. Only by removing all outside distractions of his Clan's petty and unfocused siblings can he see his true path forward, through the carnage of those who seek to destroy him, through those who dismissed his Clan's initial outreach of brotherhood and camaraderie and branded his people heretics. He believes his righteousness will some day lead his people to see these naysayers utterly destroyed just like they deserve.

A true Cloud Cobra warrior subscribes to the knowledge of something larger than herself—be it a deity or a faith in the all-encompassing power of human imagination and drive. Her beliefs, whether secular or spiritual, are subservient to her drive and focus of being a warrior. They guide her along a path only she can follow, yet she considers them an extension of herself rather than truly defining the core of her being. At his root she is a warrior; everything else is secondary.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2012, 16:30:34 by joechummer »

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 23 January 2012, 13:10:35 »

A true Hell's Horses warrior holds to the spirit of the individual, not the weapon he chooses. Although other Clans may look down upon him for eschewing the Clan interpretation of the MechWarrior-glorifying Lorix Creed, he feels such misguided idolatry was bred from the corruption of the Inner Sphere and thus should be disregarded. Whether he chooses a 'Mech, a suit of battle armor, an aerofighter, a tank, an infantry rifle, or even his bare hands, he believes to his very core that he will conquer any enemy that stands before him.

i suppose i disagree with this description. I think you've misinterpreted individual in this case. The hell's horses believe in the warrior over the machine, not the individual; in fact i've always thought of the hell's horses as having the most collectivized outlook of how the clans should function. the tenets of cooperation between everyone in every caste, not the glorification of the individual. I don't want to create a Utopian view of the horses, they're still a clan, but i see the hell's horses the opposite way you do apparently.

I also don't see how how they would believe that the glorification of the mechwarrior is a corruption of the inner sphere?

I'm also curious to see what the spirit and raven fans have to say about these as well, being to of the most vocal fan bases.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2012, 13:16:06 by Daishi411 »
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #41 on: 23 January 2012, 14:09:53 »
i suppose i disagree with this description. I think you've misinterpreted individual in this case. The hell's horses believe in the warrior over the machine, not the individual

That's just semantics:
"individual" = warrior
"weapon he chooses" = machine

Thus: "warrior over machine." Basically the same thing you were saying. Adjusted the original so it's clearer.

I also don't see how how they would believe that the glorification of the mechwarrior is a corruption of the inner sphere?
The Lorix Creed, which idolizes MechWarriors above any other kind of soldier, comes from Inner Sphere culture. All aspects of Inner Sphere culture—especially military culture—were expunged with the creation of the Clans, yet somehow the ideals of the Lorix Creed still found their way into Clan culture…

I'm also curious to see what the spirit and raven fans have to say about these as well, being to of the most vocal fan bases.
Did you like them? My goal with all of these is to be inspiring to each Clan's respective fans.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2012, 14:30:35 by joechummer »

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 23 January 2012, 18:12:42 »
Basically the same thing you were saying. Adjusted the original so it's clearer.
The Lorix Creed, which idolizes MechWarriors above any other kind of soldier, comes from Inner Sphere culture. All aspects of Inner Sphere culture—especially military culture—were expunged with the creation of the Clans, yet somehow the ideals of the Lorix Creed still found their way into Clan culture…

This is a capellan thing, not really a general inner sphere thing. i suppose it's fair to say that mechwarriors are the top; they are the 'knights.' for the clans i just think it was the notion that mechs are the kings/queens of the battlefield, but i wouldn't be comfortable saying that this attitude stem from the lorix creed (a distinctly capellan idea) when it seems to be a general sentiment to varying degrees in the IS

I like the spirit one, but i haven't had put as much thought into them as some of the fans like Tassa, Col, stormlion and Shocka (just to name a few) have. seriously though, anytime a poster is willing to put stuff out there like your last post we all win (not to sound to after school special), and you know i respect you as a poster and a writer.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2012, 18:31:12 by Daishi411 »
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 23 January 2012, 23:49:27 »
What makes a warrior of Clan Hell's Horses?  They can reverse park a Huitzilopochtli!

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 24 January 2012, 00:04:27 »
What makes a warrior of Clan Hell's Horses?  They can reverse park a Huitzilopochtli!

this is an extremely important part of it  O0
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #45 on: 24 January 2012, 00:39:29 »
What makes a warrior of Clan Hell's Horses?  They can reverse parkeasily pronounce a Huitzilopochtli! and not just call them "Hueys."

Fixed that for you!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 24 January 2012, 07:46:58 »
 O0

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #47 on: 24 January 2012, 10:35:35 »
This is a capellan thing, not really a general inner sphere thing. i suppose it's fair to say that mechwarriors are the top; they are the 'knights.' for the clans i just think it was the notion that mechs are the kings/queens of the battlefield, but i wouldn't be comfortable saying that this attitude stem from the lorix creed (a distinctly capellan idea) when it seems to be a general sentiment to varying degrees in the IS
Handbook: House Liao, p 123: "…his Lorix Creed has become the model of the modern MechWarrior's Creed across not just the Confederation, but the entire Inner Sphere."

Regardless of where it started, "MechWarriors are king" sentiment is an Inner-Sphere-wide phenomena.

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 24 January 2012, 13:10:01 »
Handbook: House Liao, p 123: "…his Lorix Creed has become the model of the modern MechWarrior's Creed across not just the Confederation, but the entire Inner Sphere."

Regardless of where it started, "MechWarriors are king" sentiment is an Inner-Sphere-wide phenomena.

yeah, i said that was the general attitude, but i don't think that stems from the lorix creed in particular, it happened when a mackie smashed ten merkava's (slight exaggeration, but i don't think other nations would have waited for the capellan's to create an ideology for them to follow) i take that to mean the attitude spread, not necessarily the creed itself, they're capellans after all, an i can only assume that the housebook was written by a capellan. (i don't own the book, so i'm assuming when it comes to that)
« Last Edit: 24 January 2012, 13:15:25 by Daishi411 »
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #49 on: 24 January 2012, 13:57:51 »
i take that to mean the attitude spread, not necessarily the creed itself, they're capellans after all, an i can only assume that the housebook was written by a capellan. (i don't own the book, so i'm assuming when it comes to that)
Handbook: House Liao was indeed compiled by a professor from the University of Sian, but this excerpt from House Liao: The Capellan Confederation, which was authored by ComStar, corroborates the history:

"By 2510, The Lorix Creed was required reading for all junior officers in the Confederation armed forces. By the 2530s, Kalvar’s Creed had become the bible of the modern MechWarrior, and was eagerly being exported to hundreds of worlds in each of the major human states."
« Last Edit: 24 January 2012, 14:01:50 by joechummer »

Author Page
Official Website

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 24 January 2012, 14:13:33 »
IMO, it's hard to establish causation in this case. 2530 was nearly 100 years after the first battlemech and by that time the idea that battlemech was the superior weapon could have already proliferated without any influence of the Lorix Creed.

A true Snow Raven warrior fights with words, not with weapons.

Not sure that I agree with this. Sure political maneuvering is more prevalent in the Ravens, but it is still a warrior society and martial excellence is still at the forefront.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2012, 14:36:07 by ShockaTime »

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 24 January 2012, 14:15:38 »
that was many years after the creation of the mech. just because the lorix creed was a reading for other soldiers does not mean that it was the cause of the preeminence, the mech was regarded as that before. therefore it's not necessarily correct to link the preeminence of the mech to the spread of the lorix creed. additionally i'm slightly confused when you say the preeminence of the mech and mechwarrior as corruption of the IS in the clan that should be disregarded; that would assume they then believe most clans to be corrupted by the IS, i don;t fallow this logic, need clarification.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2012, 14:29:44 by Daishi411 »
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #52 on: 24 January 2012, 16:13:44 »
The Lorix Creed is far more than just "'Mechs are king." It's more of an ideal of chivalry than anything else, something along the lines of: 'Mechs are the preeminent battlefield unit, thus MechWarriors are the best and most important of all soldiers (and everything else is secondary); however, these idolized soldiers have a greater responsibility to protect the citizenry.

What I meant is this: Clan culture was rebuilt from the ground up. Platoons, lances, companies, battalions, regiments, divisions—all of that was tossed aside into a completely new way of thinking. Warfare itself was repurposed from brutal border disputes into ritualized combat wherein danger to civilians was prevented (as much as humanly possible). All Inner Sphere ways of thinking were discarded because Kerensky felt it would precipitate a return to the old ways, the corrupting influence of the Inner Sphere his father left behind. The Lorix/MechWarrior Creed is an ideal from the Inner Sphere, yet somehow the whole idea behind the Creed—the notion that the MechWarrior is the end-all-be-all of warfare as a whole—still found its way into Clan martial thinking. The Horses reject this idea wholesale, and thus reject the idea behind the Creed, striking it down as the last vestige of the Inner Sphere's corrupted way of thinking.

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 24 January 2012, 16:21:44 »
you're not understanding. i know the lorix creed is a philosophy, and we can flower it up any way we need to, but it boils down to the simple idea that you and i have stated. what i;m saying is that you seem to be linking two things that may be related individually to a result that is not. just because the lorix creed says what it does, does not mean that's where the clans got their own ideas about warfare from. the same goes for other states; just cause they read it does not mean that document was what made them formulate the idea that mechs and mechwarriors are the kings/queens of battle. you seems to be linking several things together that may not be creating the results you think they do.
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #54 on: 24 January 2012, 16:22:12 »
Not sure that I agree with this. Sure political maneuvering is more prevalent in the Ravens, but it is still a warrior society and martial excellence is still at the forefront.
That opening line is meant to be figurative rather than literal. The thing about politics is if you use the right words, sometimes you don't even need to fight. This is part of why the Ravens rely on politics so often: with a small Touman, they only fight the battles they can afford to, so politics becomes their primary battleground.

Author Page
Official Website

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #55 on: 24 January 2012, 16:32:54 »
Fine. Lorix Creed mention is gone. Is this better?

A true Hell's Horses warrior holds to the spirit of the individual warrior, not the weapon he chooses. Although other Clans may look down upon him for disbelieving the ideal that the MechWarrior alone is the pinnacle of Clan eugenics, he feels such idolatry is a misguided way of thinking: a warrior who does not use all the tools at his disposal is not fit to be a warrior at all. Whether he chooses a 'Mech, a suit of battle armor, an aerofighter, a tank, an infantry rifle, or even his bare hands, he believes to his very core that he will conquer any enemy that stands before him.

Author Page
Official Website

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 24 January 2012, 21:10:03 »
one for each of the invading Clans:

Seyla
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #57 on: 24 January 2012, 22:00:46 »
To make a Clan Wolf warrior you must start with the a lot of ingredients.

Attitude of a Jade Falcon
Brotherhood of the Ghost Bear
Martial talent of the Blood Spirit
Social skills of a Shark Merchant or Raven Diplomat
Strategic flexability of a Star Adder

All these & more go into the making of a Clan Wolf Warrior.

Don't forget a healthy admixture of Spheroid talent!

So ... Wolves are a mongrel breed, who need to borrow from the other clans? Curious to boast of such a hybrid mix.

And as for Falcons - one word. Pride.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #58 on: 25 January 2012, 23:31:22 »
As a proud member of Clan Smoke Jaguar, I have felt a need to step up (We are still a real Clan I swear!).

Being a warrior in Clan Smoke Jaguar is more than just being able to shed blood, though that is an important aspect, it is about being able to capture the true ferocity of the beast for which our Clan was named.  In reality, a Smoke Jaguar warrior is more akin to a force than a warrior as the Inner Sphere might think of it.  Without being too conceited, the idea is for a Jaguar Warrior to embrace his passions and engage his opponent with everything he has holding back nothing whilst in the midst of combat.  Mercy, compassion, personal doubts, and fears have to be left behind for that one glorious moment.

The idea differs from the other Clans in that a Smoke Jaguar warrior doesn't do this as a matter of mere combat but instead as an expression of animalistic desire that comes from within his or her spirit.  A Wolf warrior might cut loose in a moment of incaution and an Adder Warrior may calculate his own anger into his strategy, but a Jaguar warrior embraces this very passion.  It is why the Clan was known for aggression and ambition because we seek to further our passions in and out of combat.  We push ourselves to embrace this ideal because it does not occur to a Smoke Jaguar warrior that there can be another way.  A life without battle, without passion, without the release from calculated precision to animal cunning is one as good as dead.
"Manei Domini think themselves superior because of their unnatural enhancements.  I cannot wait to show them the error of their ways."
  - Star Colonel Damien Furey

"I'm going to found a mercenary outfit, all the cool kids are doing it."
 - Duchess Designate Alice Duvall

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 29 January 2012, 21:03:37 »
As a proud member of Clan Smoke Jaguar, I have felt a need to step up (We are still a used to be a real Clan I swear!).

There.  I fixed.

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #60 on: 01 February 2012, 00:41:45 »
Ouch.
"Manei Domini think themselves superior because of their unnatural enhancements.  I cannot wait to show them the error of their ways."
  - Star Colonel Damien Furey

"I'm going to found a mercenary outfit, all the cool kids are doing it."
 - Duchess Designate Alice Duvall

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #61 on: 01 February 2012, 00:48:55 »
There.  I fixed.

Says the guy with the "not-named" userbar.   :D

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 11 September 2017, 10:16:35 »
its your opinion, you can never be corrected on your opinion.

that being said i'll opt for hell's horses and i think the quote in my sig is a good place to start:

that was said by tanya delaurel. I also think cooperation between all members of the clan is one of the most important aspect of horse warriors, in that every person helps them accomplish goals. The horses also seem to have an open mindedness about some things that other clans lack, though things are changing for other clans but some things just stay the same  ::)

i probably have more, but right now this was all i could think of.

I have always liked this attitude of the horses

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 11 September 2017, 10:32:49 »
What makes a warrior of Clan Ghost Bear?

More devotion to FAMILY than the ancient Terran legend of Dominic Toretto,
The perseverance to create GREAT ART in a universe centered on stompy robots,
The patience to GROW QUIETLY while everyone else around you eagerly overreaches,
And the ability to go from 0 to a STRAVAGLOAD OF RAGING ETERNAL VENGEANCE when the time is right!!

;D

Fire Mandrill

• Recruit
« Reply #64 on: 21 September 2017, 00:17:30 »
For Clan Fire Mandrill, hail!

"...we charge through the fire willingly, unmoved by the magnitude of its heat! Daily we are refined within the continual challenge of battle and the duel. Thus, it is an irrefutable truth that any one of our MechWarriors can best any two or even three from other Clans. From Kreese to Kline; from Sainze to Caroll; from Payne to Faraday, from Grant to Goulet it is the peerless ability within each Fire Mandrill that elevates our people so well when compared to the larger, but more watered down quantity of warriors found in other misguided Clans. As such they, as a whole, are largely unfit to be tested against us, leaving the only true test for a Fire Mandrill is to array his or herself against another Fire Mandrill to continue perpetuating the endless refinement we are accustomed to. Indeed, Kerensky walks with everyone of us....

- Excerpt from Atreus Chronicle XIV c. 3057-3061

Loremaster Addendum: It should be noted that our Khan, Amanda Carrol, has demanded that the last line read with the correction, "Indeed, Kerensky walks with everyone of us... even when we march hopelessly against ourselves!"

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 21 September 2017, 09:38:43 »
Stealing from a book a read long ago I would imagine blood spirits knowledge of history would be " limited to the various ways they had been wronged by other clans"

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #66 on: 21 September 2017, 11:25:35 »
Trueborn!

To know the way of any Clan warrior, know the way of the first.

The True ilKhan, Nicholas Kerensky, spoke the rede, which I will now relate to you.

I'm sitting in my room and my mom and my dad came in
They pulled up a chair and they sat down, they go
'Mike, we need to talk to you'
I go, 'Okay, what's the matter''

Seyla

They go, 'Me and your mom have been noticing lately
That you've been having a lot of problems
You've been going off for no reason and we're afraid
You're gonna hurt somebody
We're afraid you're gonna hurt yourself'

Seyla

'So we decided that it would be in your interest
If we put you somewhere
Where you could get the help that you need'
And I go, 'Wait, what are you talking about, we decided
My best interest, how can you know what's my best interest is''

Seyla

'How can you say what my best interest is'
What are you trying to say, I'm crazy'
When I went to your schools, I went to your churches
I went to your institutional learning facilities'
So how can you say I'm crazy''

Seyla

They say they're gonna fix my brain
Alleviate my suffering and my pain
But by the time they fix my head
Mentally, I'll be dead

Seyla

I'm not crazy, institutionalized!
You're the one who's crazy, institutionalized!
You're driving me crazy, institutionalized!

Note: Lyrics Written by Mayorga Muir • Copyright © BMG Rights Management US, LLC

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #67 on: 28 September 2017, 15:27:46 »
Clan Ghostbear: values personal strength and martial prowess to the point they eschewed the pilot phenotype as it was too weak in melee combat.
 Family before all else, your clans honor is more important than your own.
 Being Ghostbear means having the patience of Tseng and the strength of Jorgenson and the wisdom to combine them both when your ready to go REEEEEEEE on your enemies.
 Being clan Ghostbear means you can go against the clan way with zero ****** while flipping everyone the bird..and owning it.
 Clan Ghostbear does NOT play well with others..so run with the bear or from it, either way cue nekrogoblikons- bears.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #68 on: 04 October 2017, 15:04:12 »
Jade Falcon: Ever see the old Far Side cartoon where God makes a chicken? Hang on, I'll find it.

Color those feathers green and put a nametag saying 'Nicholas Kerensky' on the kid's shirt, and you have the right idea.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #69 on: 05 October 2017, 13:40:23 »
I maintain that Clan Jade Falcon is Clan Frank Grimes (which is how they have FINALLY became palatable to me).

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #70 on: 05 October 2017, 15:16:07 »
I maintain that Clan Jade Falcon is Clan Frank Grimes (which is how they have FINALLY became palatable to me).

"Khan Malvina Hazen - or 'Malvy' as she liked to be called..."
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Register