Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 137423 times)

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
  • Armored Space Corps Black Lion Sqn
    • Facebook
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #30 on: 15 February 2014, 03:08:25 »
If you get a chance to watch it, Memento is a great movie.

Yea, it is definitely something you need to see at least once.

HikageMaru's awesome banner thread is here

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #31 on: 15 February 2014, 14:08:37 »
For Valentines day my wife rented Captain Philips for me.  It was very romantic, until the movie started.  :D heh.   I really enjoyed it.  Great tension, Hanks in fantastic (and should have gotten the Oscar nom, even if Twelve Years is going to sweep.)  I know it isn't how it happened, but still a solid, film.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 16 February 2014, 15:45:16 »
Saw previews for a new Redford film, All is lost.  So picked it up from redbox last night, and man should i have heeded the critiques on this one.  Boring as heck, little to know dialogue, and real poor acting.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #33 on: 16 February 2014, 16:56:23 »
Just got done watching "Turbo" - very fun movie, loved the various voice talent.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 16 February 2014, 18:18:15 »
Despicable Me 2 with my ill little girl.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 17 February 2014, 11:55:30 »
If you get a chance to watch it, Memento is a great movie.  In fact, it certainly kept Nolan on my "must watch" list and have seen all of his movies. 
The thing about Memento that drives home for me how good it is, is that if you watch the scenes in chronological order (a hidden special feature on the special edition DVD), it's still a strong and compelling film.

Saw previews for a new Redford film, All is lost.  So picked it up from redbox last night, and man should i have heeded the critiques on this one.  Boring as heck, little to know dialogue, and real poor acting.
What you describe is basically the opposite of the movie I and the critics I read saw.  All Is Lost was one of my top 5 from last year.  There is almost no dialog, but I don't know how you could consider the movie boring or Redford's acting poor.  He has to sell every bit of his quiet determination and growing frustration and desperation with just his body language, and he does it masterfully.  In fact, if I wanted to hold a master class in how to act, this would be a movie I'd feature.

After watching the original RoboCop last weekend, I revisited Starship Troopers to see what Verhoeven signatures I could see across both movies.  Still one of my favorites, in part because of how misunderstood it frequently is. 

Then I went to see RobertCop in theaters, and while it had some good instincts, it didn't come together in a satisfying way.  Not a great movie, and clearly inferior to Original Recipe.

Lastly yesterday I watched Akira Kurosawa's High and Low, which was absolutely stunning.  Kurosawa's mastery over camera movement and his use of TohoScope widescreen is really beautiful.  This is now one of my favorite movies.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 17 February 2014, 12:24:44 »
Last night I watched The Numbers Station staring John Cusack.  It was ok.  Cusack certainly plays the role of a burnt-out CIA operative well, considering he's played similar roles before.  Liam Cunningham was in it as well, but not enough screen time in my opinion. 

I also started watching Decision Before Dawn, an early 50's WWII movie with Richard Basehart.  I couldn't stay up to finish it, but the premise was interesting.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 17 February 2014, 16:08:25 »
What you describe is basically the opposite of the movie I and the critics I read saw.  All Is Lost was one of my top 5 from last year.  There is almost no dialog, but I don't know how you could consider the movie boring or Redford's acting poor.  He has to sell every bit of his quiet determination and growing frustration and desperation with just his body language, and he does it masterfully.  In fact, if I wanted to hold a master class in how to act, this would be a movie I'd feature.

From my (and my mother's perspective) his 'body language/facial expressions were almost the same through out..  The lack of dialogue was also grating to watch.  For some movies it might be ok for 10 or so minutes to be all silent.  BUt the entire movie?  Sorry.

Last night I watched The Numbers Station staring John Cusack.  It was ok.  Cusack certainly plays the role of a burnt-out CIA operative well, considering he's played similar roles before.  Liam Cunningham was in it as well, but not enough screen time in my opinion. 

Numbers station i felt was decent enough.. 5.5/6 out of 10..

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #38 on: 17 February 2014, 16:22:33 »

Now that one was a very interesting movie.  Subtle, a light thriller to spend the evening with.  Even ended on a slightly good note.   Not the best but definitely one that if it came up on the rotation or suggested to me to watch again, it would be back up on the screen.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #40 on: 18 February 2014, 21:10:53 »
The 10th Kingdom.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 19 February 2014, 15:49:25 »

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #42 on: 19 February 2014, 15:52:59 »
Did you go see it for yourself, or cause you had kids that wanted to go?
No kids, saw it because I wanted to.  Why should I have to have kids to go an animated movie anyway?   ;)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 19 February 2014, 16:32:02 »
No kids, saw it because I wanted to.  Why should I have to have kids to go an animated movie anyway?   ;)

I just saw it, I didn't have any kids with me.
I wanted to take my nieces with me, I don't think they would of liked the movie.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 20 February 2014, 16:20:37 »

You shouldn't.  its just most people i know of DO only see those animated movies cause they have kids..  not just cause the want to/

Anyway, i rewatched imo a great tom hanks film, The Terminal, last night.  One thing that bothered me about it..  He was seen using the sinks in one of the rest rooms to 'wash up (then assumed to continue to do so through out the rest of his 9+ months stay there), but was never seen washing his clothes..  So we are left to assume he had some means to wash/dry and iron them since we never saw him in wrinkled clothes..

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 21 February 2014, 15:42:10 »
I watched Yojimbo last night, which is a great movie but (in my opinion) not Kurosawa's best.

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #46 on: 25 February 2014, 14:08:04 »
I have only seen one out of the several best picture nominations (Captain Phillips), but I love the Lego Movie inspired posters here....  http://cheezburger.com/202245?ref=whatspopular

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 26 February 2014, 16:56:13 »
Now that Season 3 is out on DVD, I've watched Episodes 1 through 4 of "Game of Thrones." Definitely enjoying the season so far.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 26 February 2014, 23:58:11 »
Now that Season 3 is out on DVD, I've watched Episodes 1 through 4 of "Game of Thrones." Definitely enjoying the season so far.

Lol saw in my kindle spent the entire day watching it.  I am satisfied.  Season ending lack the big climatic end seen of the first two season.  You know the dragons being born and seeing the ice zombies.  (why do I want to call them walkers, I am thinking too much of walking dead)

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 27 February 2014, 14:13:07 »
Everyday Music in our area is having a half-price for used videos sale.  Picked up Heston's The Omega Man used on Blu-ray last night for two bucks.  I loved this movie as a kid!  I cannot tell you the number of times my friends and I would sleep out in the back yard with flashlights taped onto our toy guns.  I looking forward to watching it again.

Also picked up Dog Soldiers at the same time. One of the most underrated action-horror films.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 01 March 2014, 12:41:17 »
GoT Episodes 5 and 6 in the bag; Baelish, you are a douche canoe.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 02 March 2014, 00:19:44 »
Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning.

Great spoof and even better space battle!

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #52 on: 02 March 2014, 14:02:45 »
Batman 1989

I am among those rare people that actually prefers Burton's vision of cape crusader over Nolan's vision. I really think that Burton's style fits better to comic book movie and that Keaton is good at being both Batman and Bruce Wayne while Bale was only good at being Bruce Wayne. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #53 on: 02 March 2014, 14:26:55 »
Personally, I preferred the animated version to any of the live action versions of Batman.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #54 on: 02 March 2014, 14:30:10 »
Platoon.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 03 March 2014, 10:52:02 »
Casablanca was on TCM Friday night, which was a treat.

Saturday I saw Taken 3: This Time It's Airborne.  It was fine, but not special, and Lupita Nyong'o was criminally underused.

Yesterday I watched The Royal Tenenbaums.  Wes Anderson doesn't work for everybody, but I'm glad he does for me because I loved it.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 03 March 2014, 16:14:02 »
Saturday I saw Taken 3: This Time It's Airborne.  It was fine, but not special, and Lupita Nyong'o was criminally underused.

I've been told that Liams "Non stop" is taken in the air by others.  Since i liked taken 1 and 2, i should like this..

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #57 on: 06 March 2014, 01:04:31 »
Its my top favorite movie. Were else can I watch Maverick (James Garner), John Hammond-the old dude from Jurassic Park (Richard Attenborough), Paul Kersey-Death Wish (Charles Bronson), Ernest Stavros Blofeld-James Bond (Donald Pleasence), Our Man Flint (James Coburn), and Illya Kuryakin-The Man from Uncle (David McCallum) all in one movie?

I agree, a classic film. On a related note I crack up every time I see the NCIS episode when one of the ladies asks Gibbs what Ducky (David McCallum) was like when he was younger and he almost cryptically replies "Ilya Kuryakin."

Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 09 March 2014, 08:28:49 »
 Well I was catching up on some of my DVDs collection. I just finish watching some of them this past week. The first was Ender's Game 8) I like this film ,but never read the book 8 out of 10. The second was Man of Steel  :o 8) I like this alot 10 out of 10. I'm not SuperMan fan boy ,but like this updated story and the actors and actress in it were great. Now third film World War Z  [watch] good zombie flick 7 out of 10, the only problem I had with film was Jerusalem. I did not think IDF were that bad not have better cap over the walls of Jerusalem. That all for now

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 09 March 2014, 15:00:24 »
Finally saw Catching fire. 
I loved the roll that the recently deceased PSH had in the film, and mourn that we won't see him reprise it for the Mockingjay pair of films to round out the trilogy.
I didn't really like the 'PTSD issues she showed, even if they would have realistically been happening for someone so young thrust into the gape of killing others.

Register