Author Topic: Ammo Use in live fire to maintain skill levels .  (Read 2773 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Ammo Use in live fire to maintain skill levels .
« on: 21 September 2016, 10:12:56 »
I heard mech warriors to keep their combat edge have to live fire a ton of ammo for every weapon on there mech each month or their skill levels start to back slide some .  Is this true ? If so where is it written ?

Dreyf

• Sergeant
Re: Ammo Use in live fire to maintain skill levels .
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2016, 16:22:39 »
It is a quarter of the ammo capacity per month and is in Campaign Operations.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2016, 21:29:16 »
Being in combat also counts for that month. Well.... I guess that's also live fire......

As to the amount in that case - it depends on the size of your target!  :D

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2016, 22:05:58 »
I am sure you are correct about combat during the month would count towards the maintenance use. The shooting a quarter of your vehicle ammo load out a month might happen do to normal combat with a few exceptions like machine guns . It also means and ammo whose shots per ton is divisible by 4 would be least wasteful.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2016, 14:37:19 »
That´s kind an odd rule.

Why would I need to fire twice as many SRM-6 shots a month to stay current on a BLR-1G BattleMaster than on a CRD-3R Crusader, even though the latter has twice as many SRM-6 launchers as the former? And why would it take that many more machine gun bursts to maintain gunnery skills on either ´Mech than SRM-6 shots?

I would think a more plausible rule would be "ammunition expenditure for live fire exercises needed to maintain gunnery skill for a month equals expenditure of all the unit´s weapons at maximum rate of fire for X turns", X being a reasonable number somewhere between 2 and 10.

E.g. for X=5, you´d need 10 shots of Ultra AC ammo, 30 shots of RAC ammo and 5 shots of any other kind of ammo (except AMS) for all the unit´s weapons. And maybe for the sake of simplicity, the rate of fire for Streak SRM is assumed to be .5 or .75 or something like that.

On second thought, perhaps the X could also be different for different skill ranks? Surely it takes more practice to stay on Elite than to stay on Green?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2016, 05:05:38 »
Luckily that is an abstract rule. There is another bit in that section I think for instances were you still pay for 1/4 of ammo costs even if your not actually using it during training. Also, all rounds used are supposed to count as normal ammo so you don't pay for specialty ammo.

But not matter how you look at it, spare parts, training munitions... Its all an abstract of what is required each month for peacetime costs. A good reason to try and keep energy only designs around. If you aren't in a contract or in a garrison type contract, best to keep the money flowing to training (ammo) to keep skills sharp.

And don't forget to refill those gas hogs called ASF, wouldn't want them to fall out of the sky for lack of fuel!!

jh316

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2016, 11:22:16 »
I'm mostly curious about who's firing off live ammo in their dropship during transit times.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2016, 12:20:14 »
I'm mostly curious about who's firing off live ammo in their dropship during transit times.

Everyone who wants their dropships´ damage control parties to get enough practice.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Register