Author Topic: Building a NPC command mech  (Read 3475 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Building a NPC command mech
« on: 07 March 2017, 00:07:53 »
So I rolled most of the opposing order of battle from periphery merc RAT list or from local availability . . . but I wanted to give the enemy commander a 'badder' ride than anyone else under him had available.  So I decided on the Sunder, which gives my mercs a nice little incentive to take him down . . . but I also wanted to customize its load since he should have, like the mech, the best equipment available.

I was thinking of a twist on the D which has 2 PPCs and a LB-20X but for a multi-threat environment.  Replace the 2 PPCs with a ERPPC & ERLL for range and to use the supply of DHS . . . but I wanted some range rather than the big shotgun- the standard answer is 'Gauss Rifle' which can be supported with a lot of ammo.  But I was also considering a UAC/10 with four tons of ammo for the flavor of using a Ultra 10.  The range will be better than the D but it can only put out 38 damage if it all hits compared to the D's shorter ranged 40.  Both would have CASE in the right places and a SPL for infantry work.

So . . . Gauss Rifle?

. . . or Ultra AC/10?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Building a NPC command mech
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2017, 00:28:47 »
I like Ultra 10s it adds some flavor compared to the rather flavorless Gauss.  and if it jams it makes for a more interesting fight

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2017, 07:52:22 »
UAC/10. Because if the players get it, they'll have to figure out when/where to use it.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2017, 12:02:46 »
What's the rest of the unit look like? How is the commander expected to support them?  What if any factional flavor is sought?

If you want him to hang back and use his range, then GR or even LGR if you want flavor (though I'd go back to dual ER PPCs if you're doing an LGR, for the range).  If he's planning on leaping into the fray, then absolutely UAC10, though I might stick with conventional PPCs in that case, since the 18 hex ranges mesh perfectly and it makes it really easy to work tactically.

Of course, the UAC10 has something of a FWL feel (at least to me, since in the 60s they slapped the damn things on almost as many mechs as they did the LGR) while the GR is very generic.  I suppose you could use an RAC or a big honking MRM rack or use plasma rifles over the PPCs or something else if you want to shout out a different house. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2017, 12:04:13 »

Gauss for the win.  UAC to avoid killing campaign PCs with headcaps.

Instead of the Gauss, maybe shoehorn in 3 or 6 tons of communications equipment to give the Periphery mercs an initiative bonus.  An little used and relatively low-tech piece of equipment to add a new dimension to a game.  Gives lower-tech or disadvantaged forces an edge.

(Not sure a Sunder fits with a Periphery merc unit, but I'm sure there's a backstory there.)

FWIW...

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2017, 12:15:05 »
Why not replace the PPCs and heat sinks with an Ultra 10, and still mount a Gauss Rifle?  Why not both?  Quick build says I can get an Ultra with 3 tons ammo, a Gauss with 2 tons of ammo, and have three tons left over.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2017, 14:48:43 »
if like a sunder that is nasty and with stuff how about
ultra AC20 (20 shots)
2 ER large laser
LRM 5 (24 shots)

but with guardian ECM ,tag and BAP as well all fits and could be interesting as a find without being to easy or difficult to deal with

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2017, 16:51:32 »
Sorry the first post should have said I rolled the RATs of the Periphery AND Merc for a Chaos March power, I had a little squirming butt so it was one handed and quick as I was mostly focused on the bottle.  Its also '64 and the Chaos March so some of the equipment or options mentioned are not available without a big stretch.  Iron Mongoose the most of a single type of mech they have is the Victor 9K/D (same thing, different makers) which is where my mercs have a grudge because they were under contract as support in that raid when the guns were turned on their backs.  Otherwise it is a lot of heavies off those lists- Archers, Marauders, Quickdraws, Merlins, and Thunderbolts with a bit of meds & lights in that raiding battalion.

Mattlov . . . Sunder has 15 fixed, 14 of those DHS in the engine which makes the D a great mix between energy & ballistic.  And while I want flavor and maybe something different I do not want a TRO-style 'flavor' type unit, goal was for a large credible threat that 1v1 should take anything my side has on the field.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2017, 17:03:12 »
Ok.  Working with '64 and Chaos March area, I'd change it to a barrage machine.  3 standard Large lasers, Ultra 10 w/3 tons of ammo, and an MRM 10 with one ton of ammo.  Add one heat sink so it can run and fire the larges and the Ultra for no heat.  MRM for crit seeking when single firing the Ultra.

I wouldn't want to fight it.  The only downside is range, but with some similar speed screeners, it should be able to get in close to cause problems.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2017, 22:10:36 »
Just read the OP, and wanted to toss in my 2-cents:
If you are looking to replace the LB-20 due to range issues, is a Silver Bullet Gauss available? You get range and shotgun effect so you can continue the multi-threat style. TacOps says the prototypes were available from the Fed Suns in 3051, so depending on when this is set you might consider it.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2017, 13:01:42 »
Force has a lot of range, lots of GRs, and is Chaos March '64.  UAC makes sense for Chaos March 64, since the WoB is active there and the FWL is selling them to anyone with money or credit, but tactically I'd take either a GR or LGR, since I wouldn't pick my commander to have a weapon with shorter range than the remainder of his unit, and with no many GRs lying around it seems more likely they'd have had a spare handy than rustling up a whole new UAC10 (unless it was a package deal with whoever sold them the Sunder). 

I know everyone (but me) hates them, but two ER PPCs and an LGR would give it the range to support the Victors and other ranged heavies without exposing itself too much, yet still give it a period feel.

Of course, since its an Omni, if you fight multiple battles in your campaign you can just do all these things on different days, celebrate the Omni nature of the mech.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2017, 15:54:02 »
Standard  AC/10 for alternate ammos.  UAC10 is nice too for flavor

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2017, 22:55:27 »
Standard  AC/10 for alternate ammos.  UAC10 is nice too for flavor
I don't really like either weapon, but I do like alternate ammo.  I'd suggest a combination of this and what Mattlov suggested.  3 Large Lasers, an AC/10 with 3 tons ammo (for alternate ammo) and instead of the MRM, Rocket Launchers to fill out the tonnage/space.  There is quite a bit of pod space on the design, might as well fill it up.

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2017, 23:55:56 »
I like the AC10u. It's a good weapon, but I like Ultras in general.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 10 March 2017, 03:29:21 »
How big is this force? Because for a commander you really want to use a vehicle, so it can tow around a bunch of Mobile Long Tom com trailers to control satalites

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2017, 19:29:30 »
Ok.  Working with '64 and Chaos March area, I'd change it to a barrage machine.  3 standard Large lasers, Ultra 10 w/3 tons of ammo, and an MRM 10 with one ton of ammo.  Add one heat sink so it can run and fire the larges and the Ultra for no heat.  MRM for crit seeking when single firing the Ultra.

This is a tough weapon setup Mattlov. I like it and well done! I would go with this as the Opfor "Boss" mech myself.

Don Lunardi

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple on Purple!
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2017, 13:46:49 »
Gauss for the win.  UAC to avoid killing campaign PCs with headcaps.

Instead of the Gauss, maybe shoehorn in 3 or 6 tons of communications equipment to give the Periphery mercs an initiative bonus.  An little used and relatively low-tech piece of equipment to add a new dimension to a game.  Gives lower-tech or disadvantaged forces an edge.

(Not sure a Sunder fits with a Periphery merc unit, but I'm sure there's a backstory there.)

FWIW...

Lack of Headcapping is a good point in favour of the UAC/10 for an NPC design, as it has enough damage to be threatening while minimizing the One Shot One Kill element. 

Also thinking the Sunder is a bit too high end kit to wind up in the Chaos March for Merc use, but if you had to use it and give it a more Periphery feel I'd say...

Rockets.  Lots of Rockets.  >:D
"Andurien: It's Hell with Jump Points!" - Failed Marketing Slogan for Tourism Andurien, circa 2398

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2017, 17:20:44 »
The Sunder would be good, I would add more DC units to give it the right feel.  I would use the Prime, D or A. 

What are the units that the Sunder will be commanding? 

Register