Author Topic: Anyone ever tried forcing more criticals?  (Read 1636 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Anyone ever tried forcing more criticals?
« on: 13 March 2017, 14:32:37 »
I was thinking trying an Alpha Strike-style crit system in the classic game to speed up gameplay by increasing lethality or activating forced withdrawal conditions faster. Apologies if this has been hashed out ten times, I don't frequent this part of the forums much.

Code: [Select]
2 - 3 crits (torsos), limb blown off
 3 - 2 crits
 4 - 1 crit
 5 - No critical
 6 - 1 crit
 7 - 1 crit
 8 - 1 crit
 9 - No critical
10 - 1 crit
11 - 2 crits
12 - 3 crits (torsos), limb blown off

3 crits - 5.56%
2 crits - 11.11%
no crits - 22.22%
1 crit - 61.11%
« Last Edit: 14 March 2017, 12:02:29 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

imperator

• Warrant Officer
Re: Anyone ever tried forcing more criticals?
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2017, 01:34:53 »
I could see it with large games(company on company), but then you have the rules for Battleforce and Alpha strike anyway for quicker games.  Do you want for granularity?
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2017, 16:11:22 »
I could see it with large games(company on company), but then you have the rules for Battleforce and Alpha strike anyway for quicker games.  Do you want for granularity?

I don't mind AS and BF rules... they're a bit too abstract for me. I like 90% of the original ruleset as it is, but I think certain elements (especially mechanics that force a ton of dice rolls) really bog the game down. I've just been looking for ways to speed things along

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2017, 12:20:17 »
So, what exactly was the goal here?

Simply changing the critical hit chance table? That's interesting.

And, yes, I've been keen on seeing crits happen a little more often, but I decided long ago that the low crit percentage for BattleMechs was due to their design. I'd use something like this for cheep MilitiaMechs and Tanks, though. Although, I'd be more interested in a simple mod to the table I'm used to, like +1, +2, +3 or +4, etc for whatever internal structure type you're using.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2017, 22:34:43 »
I know this is a bit late to the party, but meh.

I like the idea of increasing criticals and have played around with it, but the problem I ran into was that if you increase the chance of crits on Mechs, are you also increasing them on vehicles?  What about motive crits?  If everything scales proportionately, you quickly end up with very brittle vehicles.  And what about the increased lethality of BA/infantry, who don't take criticals but are now dealing them more than ever before?

Although, in a strict Mech vs Mech fight, I'm all for your idea.  Critical damage is one of the more interesting things about Battletech, in my opinion.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2017, 14:19:48 »
Increasing amount of criticals benefits cluster weapons and banks of smaller weapons (eg the bog-standard medium laser) way more than bigger weapons.
Not sure that is a good thing.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2017, 15:32:09 »
I do Combined arms . While the mechs tend to slug it out they are hover tanks deployed that have among other weapons a Light Machine Gun Array / 4 .  They tend to fight flanking the enemy positioning themselves to shoot either the right or left side depending if the location that explodes .  Any Torso Floating crit  averages about 3 possible Criticals in which is padding the criticals in standard battletech .  Just look at the Machine Gun Array equipment description and you will see.

Register