Author Topic: ‘Mech of the Week: Cephalus  (Read 13052 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: ‘Mech of the Week: Cephalus
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2017, 11:23:02 »
But would the Clan warriors have accepted the Cephalus and Nova CEWS? If not what would the Cephalus become? A new Fire Moth used to deliver Elementals? ProtoMech support? Scout unit?
I think that they would only have started using the Cephalus, after running out of Fire Moths....

The generation of surviving warriors might have become more liberal about weapon technology and at the end say "more toys please".
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2017, 18:26:39 »
Now...just imagine for a moment how the Society 'Mechs would have turned out if they'd (somehow, someway) had access to Clan Interface Cockpits...

CIC + NCEWS = "Yikes!!"

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #32 on: 30 May 2017, 08:53:10 »
well there are always the

It took me way too long to realize you were talking about the Green Ghosts.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Nov. Col.

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 23 June 2017, 08:33:36 »
Now...just imagine for a moment how the Society 'Mechs would have turned out if they'd (somehow, someway) had access to Clan Interface Cockpits...

CIC + NCEWS = "Yikes!!"

A Star or so of Nova equipped Ryoken IIIs?

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #34 on: 31 July 2017, 09:59:19 »
I find it strange that there isn't an iATM equipped Cephalus variant, tbh
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 31 July 2017, 11:51:24 »
I find it strange that there isn't an iATM equipped Cephalus variant, tbh
That falls under the "wrong way of thinking" that the scientists exploited against the warriors. First off, it only has 5.5 tons available which could get you a pair of iATM 3s with 2.5 tons for ammo and other stuff. Or a single iATM 6 with 2 tons for ammo and extras. That's not much to work with as some of the lighter Omnis have shown with their ATM variants. The true job of a Cephalus is spotting for it's Trey/Sept. If it's engaging in regular combat, it's doing it wrong.

What's more likely, would have been a variant with 2-3 Fusillades and some extra stuff. That gives it some options for a few specialty ammo shots if a great target, or the need, arises, but not enough to tempt a pilot into getting himself out of his role.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: 31 July 2017, 11:54:17 »
That falls under the "wrong way of thinking" that the scientists exploited against the warriors. First off, it only has 5.5 tons available which could get you a pair of iATM 3s with 2.5 tons for ammo and other stuff. Or a single iATM 6 with 2 tons for ammo and extras. That's not much to work with as some of the lighter Omnis have shown with their ATM variants. The true job of a Cephalus is spotting for it's Trey/Sept. If it's engaging in regular combat, it's doing it wrong.

What's more likely, would have been a variant with 2-3 Fusillades and some extra stuff. That gives it some options for a few specialty ammo shots if a great target, or the need, arises, but not enough to tempt a pilot into getting himself out of his role.

Essentially a Ostscout OmniMech
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #37 on: 01 August 2017, 02:37:48 »

Point taken, but 2x iATM3 with two tons of ammo and a Light TAG is fine by me.

If the Cephalus was really meant not to engage (like the primary), I'm not sure why the D and E configs exist
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: 01 August 2017, 06:44:11 »
Point taken, but 2x iATM3 with two tons of ammo and a Light TAG is fine by me.

If the Cephalus was really meant not to engage (like the primary), I'm not sure why the D and E configs exist
Out of universe, I'd say the D & E exist to give players something to do with a Cephalus. This is still a game and it's about having fun. Not a lot of folks find enjoyment from moving a spotter around without ever getting to fire back. So I'd say these are to make some variants that actually have offensive weapons.

In universe, I'd say the heavy lasers of the D give it a few weapons in case it has to fight its way out of harm or gets a really great chance at a headcapping shot. The E is a sniper and can take pot shots from long range acting as a back up spotter. Once the main spotter goes down, the E gives up firing and moves in as a spotter.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #39 on: 01 August 2017, 15:33:51 »
in setting, i suspect the D and E exist because sometimes you need a fast moving harrasser and don't have any other chassis available to your cell.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 02 August 2017, 05:12:45 »
That's kind of the point of an OmniMech, no?
Would be weird to have a fast configurable design and not a single config with a serious punch.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #41 on: 02 August 2017, 06:36:55 »
in setting, i suspect the D and E exist because sometimes you need a fast moving harrasser and don't have any other chassis available to your cell.

The Cephalus D reminds me a lot functionally as an EW Solitaire, tbh
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #42 on: 02 August 2017, 08:58:15 »

IMP and IIW warheads are actually the perfect complement to the Cephalus's speed and spotting role.  They degrade the target's accuracy, firepower, and mobility, making it easier and safer for the Cephalus to maintain contact until its Nova CEWS-mates take down the target.  I wish there was a canon configuration with a couple iATM-3s or an iATM-6.

If there are fluff concerns about giving a Cephalus too much ammo and it staying out in the field too long, then apply iOS rules to iATM-3s.  (Simulates the Fusillade on an omnimech while remaining rules-legal.)  An iATM-3(iOS) will weigh one ton, so a Cephalus could carry five and a light TAG unit.  Since iATMs have Streak capability, no iOS shots will go to waste.  And 15 IMP or IIW warheads will cripple an omnimech or two.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."