Author Topic: NHL 2017-2018, now with 3% more kniggets  (Read 40804 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Re: NHL 2017-2018, now with 3% more kniggets
« Reply #30 on: 07 October 2017, 18:56:29 »
Well the Habs and the Rangers should both be motivated tomorrow when they play each other because neither is motivated right now.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 07 October 2017, 19:25:15 »
I've lurked in this thread for the past several seasons and appreciate the savvy hockey commentary to which I cannot contribute much.  So I'll go a different direction.  I think Ovechkin, with his two hat tricks to start the season (something that hasn't happened in a century) needs to get his tail to Nats Park and do some Pinch Hitting.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #32 on: 07 October 2017, 20:48:51 »
Someone please let the NHL's goaltenders know that the season started.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #33 on: 07 October 2017, 21:15:56 »
So I'll go a different direction.  I think Ovechkin, with his two hat tricks to start the season (something that hasn't happened in a century) needs to get his tail to Nats Park and do some Pinch Hitting.
Ask and ye shall receive.  If you can get Werth out of the starting line up and Kendrick in too, that'd be great!

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #34 on: 07 October 2017, 21:19:47 »
Someone please let the NHL's goaltenders know that the season started.
What is not entertaining about the Leafs hanging a TD on the opposition for another 96 games?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 08 October 2017, 00:20:28 »
At his current rate Ovie is on pace to score 287 goals this season.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #36 on: 09 October 2017, 10:37:43 »
Interesting: https://www.nhl.com/news/vegas-third-expansion-team-to-win-first-two-games/c-291726568

I think I'll be calling them the Boba Fetts from now on.  ;)

I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #37 on: 09 October 2017, 21:33:44 »
They might win 3 in a row to start the season as they play Arizona again tomorrow.  Hell, double down and take Neal to score the winner.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 10 October 2017, 00:34:41 »
Hey JHB,

Sorry about the loss tonite. Varlamov seemed to have brought his 'A' game to the Garden. Avs will only be as good as Varlamov can stay healthy.
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #39 on: 10 October 2017, 09:35:53 »
Hey JHB,

Sorry about the loss tonite. Varlamov seemed to have brought his 'A' game to the Garden. Avs will only be as good as Varlamov can stay healthy.

Eh. Boston always sheets against the Avs for some reason- I'll never understand it, but it goes back a long, long time. Just that one team that they don't show up against, ever.

Bad afternoon all around on the B's roster, from the net outward. I expect better moving forward... getting Bergeron back would sure help a ton in that regard, but he's still (as of yesterday morning) in the red non-contact sweater in practice.

The one good sign? Vatrano's two-way play has become much, much better. Last year he played the kind of defense that would have made only Pavel Bure proud. This year, he's dropping back, he's blocking shots, he's going in the corner behind Rask... very pleased with that, at least.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #40 on: 11 October 2017, 07:55:42 »
If you haven't watched the pregame memorial from last night's Knights game, go find it right now- NHL.com should have it, among others. That was absolutely amazing. Game aside (which clearly had the home team and fans fired the hell up), the organization knocked it out of the park with that ceremony.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 11 October 2017, 10:11:26 »
The Knights are playing well and are the first expansion team to start 3-0 and Neal is developing into a real star in the NHL.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #42 on: 12 October 2017, 00:10:14 »
The Knights are playing well and are the first expansion team to start 3-0 and Neal is developing into a real star in the NHL.
Neal has always been a guy that has been at least above average in his career.  Lacking pretty much anyone else who might be able to put the puck in the net regularly though he will be a star this season, at least to the point he gets traded at the dead line.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #43 on: 12 October 2017, 07:47:53 »
Still some odd moves to make for Vegas- McPhee has a lot of work to do still. One of his top pickups from the KHL is making $4.5 mil to play in the minors because they don't have a way to call him up... that's due to their having TEN defensemen on the active roster (as opposed to the seven most teams carry)... they let a pretty promising young goaltender in Calvin Pickard (who you'll recall was the poor sap stuck behind the wet cardboard defense in Colorado during the latter half of last season, and really did quite well considering the circumstances) walk to Toronto for nothing, while picking up what at this point is considered to be a bust in Malcolm Subban as a replacement from the Bruins.

No idea what the long-term plan is in Vegas, but it's definitely odd for now. Winning three straight covers up a lot of issues, no doubt, but it's not going to be long before Neal is double-teamed all night long and someon eelse is going to have to reliably be able to score- defensemen won't do that for you, so time to make some deals to teams that could use defen- hey, that Avs defense still sucks outside of Barrie, I wonder if they'd be willing to make a deal for a grumpy star forward?

+Crow T. Robot+

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 12 October 2017, 23:42:03 »
well after 3 games, the Wild now have as many points...only about 97 to go to get into the playoffs.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #45 on: 16 October 2017, 07:58:58 »
With regards to Vegas, I'm wondering if GMGM piled up on D because he thought there was a demand for more blueliners on some teams, so they were his trade bait.

But nobody bit.

So now he's stuck with a glut of D and no reliable way to move them out because most teams went deep to their farms to shore up the blue line.
Eh.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #46 on: 16 October 2017, 09:59:45 »
If he could just find a way to face Boston 82 times a year they'd be top seed in the conference...  >:(

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 16 October 2017, 10:04:10 »
If he could just find a way to face Boston 82 times a year they'd be top seed in the conference...  >:(
split their games with Boston and Phoenix and they go undefeated for the rest of the season.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #48 on: 17 October 2017, 10:38:42 »
With regards to Vegas, I'm wondering if GMGM piled up on D because he thought there was a demand for more blueliners on some teams, so they were his trade bait.

But nobody bit.

So now he's stuck with a glut of D and no reliable way to move them out because most teams went deep to their farms to shore up the blue line.
Caps could use someone that has NHL experience, but it is doubtful that they have anything to spare unless Mcphee is willing to take a late round pick a few years down the line.  Cap considerations would also be a possible hurdle when MN comes off of IR in November or December.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 18 October 2017, 10:22:17 »
Somebody needs to tell the Boba Fetts how truly bad they are, 'cause they apparently never got the memo.   :o

After 6 games an expansion team should already be relegated to punchline status. These guys are leading the western conference, and are only a point shy of leading the entire league!   ???
I have spoken.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #50 on: 18 October 2017, 12:59:16 »
Somebody needs to tell the Boba Fetts how truly bad they are, 'cause they apparently never got the memo.   :o

After 6 games an expansion team should already be relegated to punchline status. These guys are leading the western conference, and are only a point shy of leading the entire league!   ???

Yeah, I have to admit, I'm impressed. It's not just that they're winning- they're making it look GOOD. And this without their bonafide best player (Fleury)! Who are these guys?

I try not to really make anything of a team's start until late November, when they've played enough to really get a feel for what's going well and what isn't, and whether the playoffs are still a realistic possibility. So we're a good month-ish out from when I'd really say they're for real. But... man, they're making life miserable on opponents so far, and thinking back to the early days in Nashville, Atlanta, etc. the difference is stunning.

Meanwhile, that glut of defensemen? McPhee may want to call his old office up. Washington is now without the services of several of their own- in fact, four of the six D-men they used last spring are either gone or on IR for a good while. If you're going to find a trade partner, there's no time like the present.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 18 October 2017, 14:20:49 »
How about any four Vegas defensemen for TJ Oshie? Do we have a deal?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #52 on: 18 October 2017, 23:00:54 »
This team is somewhat devoid of goal scoring outside of Oshie, Ovechkin, and Backstrom.  If any of them go down for a length of time this team is going to be pretty bad.  I'm not knocking Kuznetsov, however he and Burakovsky really need to put some more shots on net.  Vrana, early has looked pretty decent, but when  no one else is scoring it seems like he is underachieving (which he hasn't).

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #53 on: 19 October 2017, 08:23:04 »
This team is somewhat devoid of goal scoring outside of Oshie, Ovechkin, and Backstrom.  If any of them go down for a length of time this team is going to be pretty bad.  I'm not knocking Kuznetsov, however he and Burakovsky really need to put some more shots on net.  Vrana, early has looked pretty decent, but when  no one else is scoring it seems like he is underachieving (which he hasn't).

I haven't watched much Caps hockey this season yet (work has kept me late most evenings), but what I've seen has been pretty one-dimensional as far as offense- if it isn't the first line, it isn't happening. That's a recipe for disaster against teams with decent defensive systems, like Ottawa- shut down Ovechkin and friends, and the game is over. (Toronto seems to have done that based on what I saw of the highlight reel).

Again, way too early to make any real calls about what teams are in trouble and such, but the Caps are a team that I'm a little concerned about after the past couple of weeks. You expect losing key guys over the summer and your defense being wiped out by injury to hurt, and it has, but I figured scoring was the one place they wouldn't have any trouble. If anything, it seems to have become their Achilles' heel.

Unrelated, but does Nikita Kucherov have an off switch? Good lord, stop me before I score again!

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #54 on: 20 October 2017, 23:48:02 »
I haven't watched much Caps hockey this season yet (work has kept me late most evenings), but what I've seen has been pretty one-dimensional as far as offense- if it isn't the first line, it isn't happening.

That pretty much summarizes things in a nutshell.  The options were pay Evgeny Kuznetsov and lose someone else.  Those someones were Justin Williams to a lesser extent (it was more or less known he would be a cap casualty) and Marcus Johansson.  As you said, it is early in the season, but Burakovsky has to step up to fill the goals lost and at least one other player to boot who is TBD.

Burakovsky had a great game tonight, but he was able to thrive playing 6th or 8th forward on the team last year.  That just simply won't cut it anymore.  I can't see where this team is better than a wild card team come playoff time unless the bargain basement FA signings each pot about 10-12 goals this season.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #55 on: 21 October 2017, 00:08:18 »
Who gets fired first Alain Vigneault or someone in Habs management?  It is certainly early and I'm certain the Rangers will finally start getting goals at a league average, but I never pegged the Canadiens to be this bad AND Price to be healthy.  At some point their shooting percentage has to go up at some point as well, maybe?

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 21 October 2017, 22:20:24 »
I don't know who put their foot through a mirror in MN but 5 of your top forwards down with injuries in the first 2 games!?! and only 1 of those back by game 6?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #57 on: 21 October 2017, 23:22:41 »
Who gets fired first Alain Vigneault or someone in Habs management?  It is certainly early and I'm certain the Rangers will finally start getting goals at a league average, but I never pegged the Canadiens to be this bad AND Price to be healthy.  At some point their shooting percentage has to go up at some point as well, maybe?

I'm always hesitant to knee-jerk this early in the year, but yeah, both teams are big surprises. Tough to make changes in Montreal especially, since they just did the whole coach-change thing last year already, but New York as well... I mean, early struggles are never fun, but Vigneault is a proven coach who deserves time to turn things around. To do anything else would be a huge surprise- after all, who do you bring in as a replacement off the street who would be an improvement?

If either team is still this bad a month from now, yeah, time to shake things up on the bench. For now, stay the course and hope things get better. In the Rangers case, I think it'll be better very soon. Montreal is harder to say- mostly because there shouldn't be struggles like this to begin with. Losing Price, yeah, that would do it, but with him healthy... weird stuff going down there.

+Crow T. Robot+

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 22 October 2017, 19:26:10 »
And the Boba Fetts keep setting milestones.

Fixed the logo:

I have spoken.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #59 on: 22 October 2017, 19:53:45 »
It's way too early to write them in for a playoff spot, but I'm starting to think they may finish a lot better than that 30th spot I had them penciled for.

+Crow T. Robot+

Register