Author Topic: New to Alpha Strike, trying to play it on hex maps  (Read 2192 times)

Lambda Futile

• Recruit
New to Alpha Strike, trying to play it on hex maps
« on: 23 June 2017, 03:46:04 »
Hi,

I'm new to Alpha Strike and this forum and hope you can help me with some general and hex map-specific questions:
  • The to-hit roll is always modified by the target's maximum movement, unless it hasn't moved at all. Correct?
  • The attacking unit's movement is not taken into account. Correct?
  • There are no politing rolls as in Classic Battletech. Correct?
  • How do you modifiy the to-hit roll for a hex of light/dense forest in the line of sight?
  • If a mech moves into an adjacent hex that is one level higher/lower, does that movement cost 3" (2" for the regular hex and 1" for the level change)?
In general I would be thankful for a list of inch cost for all the different terrain types on hex maps.

Thanks!

Lambda Futile

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: New to Alpha Strike, trying to play it on hex maps
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2017, 08:54:19 »
Hi,

I'm new to Alpha Strike and this forum and hope you can help me with some general and hex map-specific questions:
  • The to-hit roll is always modified by the target's maximum movement, unless it hasn't moved at all. Correct?
First note: This is a major difference between the first printing and second printing (introduced in the Companion).  I'm going to be refering to the 2nd printing/errata'd 1st printing.
The answer depends on movement mode, but you have the general idea correct. If it doesn't move (1" or less), no target movement modifier at all.  If it does move (more than 1"), it gets it's full target movement modifier regardless of how far it actually moved.  It's binary, it either moved or didn't.  and then the third movement mode is jumping, if it jumped, use the TMM based on jumping.  If it didn't jump, ignore jumping.
This is also based on the movement mode.  Not moving gives you a bonus to attacks.  Moving is considering "normal" and has no modifier.  Jumping has a penalty to attacks.
Correct.
  • How do you modifiy the to-hit roll for a hex of light/dense forest in the line of sight?
Standard rules for AS has only Woods, and it's a +2 modifier, regardless of how many Woods.  If there are Woods between you and target, or you or target is in Woods, there's a +2.
There is an advanced rules option (Advanced Terrain), that has separate modifiers based on type of woods, and is per 2" of that terrain rather than a flat yes/no.
  • If a mech moves into an adjacent hex that is one level higher/lower, does that movement cost 3" (2" for the regular hex and 1" for the level change)?
4".  2" for one hex, 2" for one level change.
In general I would be thankful for a list of inch cost for all the different terrain types on hex maps.
http://d15yciz5bluc83.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Alpha-Strike-Mapboard-Play.pdf?x64300
It goes the other direction, divide all units Move by 2" to convert to hex.  Then use the listed hex costs.
Thanks!

Lambda Futile
Have fun!

EDIT: corrected level change movement cost.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2017, 09:03:43 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2017, 08:59:48 »
Unless errata was applied unevenly or gets operate fundamentally differently in that respect (which is entirely possible), then level changes are 2" per level changed.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2017, 09:02:05 »
Unless errata was applied unevenly or gets operate fundamentally differently in that respect (which is entirely possible), then level changes are 2" per level changed.

I just wasn't thinking when I typed that...
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Lambda Futile

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2017, 09:39:05 »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2017, 09:47:36 »
First, Welcome to Battletech, nckestrel's responses are indeed correct, but let me just 'tweak' them to put into context of HEX play.

First, because you are playing hex, I will refer to all movement related questions as HEXes. To that end, remember the movement is listed in inches and needs to be converted to hexes, at a 2" = 1 hex.

Hi,

Nckestrel is correct. If the unit remains in the same hex, it is considered Standing Still. It may change hex facing for free, but otherwise, it did not move.

Also, Standing still is a -1 To Hit Modifier
Moving (any # of hexes) is a +0 To Hit modifier
Jumping (any # of hexes) is a +2 To Hit modifier.

No.........and Yes.

There are a few corner cases (shame on you Scotty and nckestrel for missing these ;) ), where one may need to make a Skill roll akin to a pilot check from Classic Battletech.

Page 70 from the 2nd Printing of the ALPHA STRIKE rules covers Bogged Down units, that are in effect 'stuck' (mud, sand, etc). The would need to make a 2d6 roll versus the Skill Rating to free themselves.

Another is page 69, which covers Rapids in Rivers, which would also require a Skill roll to stay in position or be 'swept down stream' 2" (or for hexes, 1 hex)

As stated, in Basic, +2 for woods, no matter how much. Otherwise, the rules are identical from Classic Battletech:

+1 for each hex of Light Woods
+2 for each hex of Heavy Woods
No LoS past 3 hexes of woods (1 Light+ 1 Heavy, 2Heavy, 3 Light, etc)

Thanks!

Lambda Futile

Yes.

At the end of the day, if you are familiar with movement and terrain modifiers for Classic Battletech, they keep the same values in Alpha Strike if you are utilising Hex Maps.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Lambda Futile

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2017, 05:11:48 »
Thanks, NeonKnight!

BTW, turning in AS is free, isn't it?

Lambda Futile

PS: Do the verification questions disappear after some posting? They are rather annoying...

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2017, 11:26:44 »
Thanks, NeonKnight!

BTW, turning in AS is free, isn't it?

Lambda Futile

PS: Do the verification questions disappear after some posting? They are rather annoying...

Yep, turning is 'free' in AS.

Not sure what you mean by verification questions
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Lambda Futile

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2017, 12:21:18 »
Like the ones shown below (provided the attachment makes it to the forum).

Lambda Futile

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2017, 12:24:35 »
They go away after ten posts.

When I run the Academy at cons, I describe movement in Alpha Strike as "during your move, you can move in any direction and finish facing in any direction as long as you don't exceed your MV".  Facing actually doesn't matter at all until combat, and units are not required to move directly ahead unlike regular BattleTech.  I've found it to be a distinction that clears up some questions.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Lambda Futile

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2017, 10:27:06 »
Thanks! Hope I can try out some more matches soon!

Lambda Futile

Register