Author Topic: A big mess of Aerospace drones!  (Read 1830 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
A big mess of Aerospace drones!
« on: 12 July 2017, 17:02:47 »
(Been wondering when I could actually post this. Thank you hidden code monkeys!)

Author's Note:The following long list of aerospace drones and support craft are intended for their own alternate universe, where even into the succession wars large naval battles remain a common concern, and unmanned weapons systems are a vital force multiplier for states who can build drones faster than they can train pilots to operate manned craft.

All that being said, that doesn't mean these designs are strictly unsuited for a more canon-friendly game. As indicated by the Interstellar Operations book, the smart robotic control system these drones rely on has basically always been around, and never goes completely extinct in the Inner Sphere, even during the darkest days of the succession wars. So while the canon houses wouldn't be fielding implacable swarms of robotic drones that blot out the sun, it's not out of the question to see a prototype or six turning up here or there. With that in mind, please feel free to use these designs as you see fit.

The Comstar Node and the two Command carrier dropships are, of course, an exception. ATAC is definitely a casualty of the fall of the Star League, and the Hyperpulse Generator is, of course, a Comstar gadget. Unlike the drones, in the canon setting these would be unambiguously lostech relics or Comstar toys.

Because this turned into a very long list, and the changes are at times minor, I've provided the design each drone is based on, along with the source for that design, and a list of the changes made, rather than full stats for each. Any fluff provided is intended to reflect the setting for which they were created rather than a more canon-friendly setting. Feel free to ignore it as you wish.

Helpful list of sources
*tro3039: Technical Readout 3039
*RS3039u: Record Sheets 3039 Unabridged
*RS3075u-AoW: Record Sheets 3075 Unabridged: Age of War
*RS3050u-C/SL: Record Sheets 3050 Unabridged: Clan/Star League
*Primitives IV: Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives IV
*Retrotech: Experimental Technical Readout: Retrotech
*Reunification War: Historical: Reunification War (I'm being thorough, not mocking you at this point)
*tro3057r: Technical Readout 3057: Revised (sorely in need of an update, so the tonnages might not be fully accurate)
*HB:MPS: Handbook: Major Periphery States
*tro3075: Tehcnical Readout 3075 (would you believe the Explorer jumpship doesn't have a record sheet yet?)

Conventional Drone Aircraft

Much like conventional aircraft in general, conventional drones are usually reserved for rear area, security, support, and militia duty, with only House Liao using them in any significant front line role due to their lack of a light aerospace drone suited for atmospheric combat. The Boomerang and its derivatives is particularly popular among civilian police and paramilitary units as a passive observation craft, and seen by more radical elements of society as a sign of the pervasive government surveilance aparatus.

Boomerang Drone
Base: Boomerang spotter plane (tro3039)
0 mass control system (SRCS)
Remove ejection seat, add 100 kg cargo

Boeing Jump Drone
Base: Boeing Jump Bomber (RS3039u)
1.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Replace engine with 160 turbine, reduce thrust to 8/12
Add primitive rocket launcher 10 to the nose

Guardian Drone
Base: Guardian Fighter (RS3039u)
Replace engine with 120 turbine, reduce thrust to 6/9
Add primitive rocket launcher 10 to the nose

Suzume Drone
Base: Suzume Light Strike Fighter (RS3039u)
1 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Replace engine with 60 turbine, reduce thrust to 6/9

Defender/Steinadler Drone
Base: Defender Medium Strike Fighter (RS3039u)
2 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Remove SRM-2 and ammunition

Light Fighter Drones

Easily the most common of front line drones, Light Q-fighters (derived from the "Q" designation traditionally assigned to drone aerospace craft) serve as the first line of defense for worlds across human occupied space. 

Seydlitz SYD-21Q:
Base: Seydlitz SYD-21 (RS3039u)
Replace engine with 140 standard, reduce thrust to 9/14

Cheetah F-10Q:
Base: Cheetah F-10 (RS3039u)
Replace engine with 225 standard, reduce thrust to 11/17
Add second small laser to the nose

Thrush TR-7Q:
Base: Thrush TR-7 (RS3039u)
Remove 2 tons of fuel (3)

Derived as it was from the Sholagar, the Thrush suffers the same problems in atmospheric flight, and the drone variant is no exception. The Capellans thus attempt to mirror Combine practices and reserve their Drone Thrushes for orbital and deep space operations, though unlike the Combine, the Capellans don't have a light aerospace drone to take up the slack in Atmosphere.

Sparrowhawk SPR-Q5:
Base: Sparrowhawk SPR-H5 (RS3039u)
2.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Replace engine with 210 standard, reduce thrust to 9/14

Sholagar SLQ-21:
Base: Sholagar SL-21 (RS3039u)
Reduce SRM-4 launcher to SRM-2
Remove one ton of fuel (4)
Reduce armor as follows: f:26 w:21 a:20

Any hopes that a robotic control system would be able to deal with the excentricities of the Sholagar were quickly dashed during the first test flights of the drone model. As the Sholagar drone was still in all other respects a robust and capable fighter, the decision was made to replace the Sabre as the standard orbital defense fighter, with the other craft relegated to atmospheric duty.

Sabre SBQ-27
Base: Sabre SB-27 (RS3075u-AoW)
Replace engine with 200 standard, 10/15 thrust
Replace nose medium laser with small laser

One of the first Q-fighters developed, the Sabre Drone remains a common sight across Human occupied space, though it is most prevelant among Combine forces, where it is used for atmospheric interception. 

Star Dagger S-2Q
Base: Star Dagger S-2 (Retrotech)
Cockpit, armor, engine all become standard components
Replace engine with 210 standard, increase thrust to 9/14
Increase armor as follows: f:34 w:22 a:18
Replace small laser with additional medium laser

Based on an ancient design once widely used by the old Terran Hegemony and Draconis Combine, the Star Dagger Drone sees heavy use in the periphery and among private forces operating on both sides of the law. Both the manned and unmanned versions have become so prevelant among criminal elements that they are often referred to simply as "Pirate fighters".

Dragonfly MM-Q
Base: Dragonfly MM-1 (Reunification War)
3 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Remove nose medium laser, one medium laser from each wing

The Magistracy has attempted to market the Dragonfly to other powers, particularly the Outworlds Alliance and Taurian Concordat, however both states are wary due to claims that the Dragonfly is prone to malfunctions causing it to attack allied targets indiscriminately. The Magistracy vehemently denies such claims.

Trident TRN-3Q
Base: Trident TRN-3U (RS3050u-C/SL)
Remove forward medium and aft small laser

Spad SPD-502Q
Base: Spad SPD-502 (RS3050u-C/SL)
Remove medium and small lasers, one ton of fuel (4)

Zero ZRO-114Q
Base: Zero ZRO-114 (RS3050u-C/SL)
Remove medium laser, one ton of fuel (4)
Reduce armor as follows: n:60 w:25 a:42

The Trident, Spad, and Zero are most common to the Terran Domains, and are frequently used on raids into contested territories, either released on long duration flights to launch surprise attacks or deployed as virtual space mines to sow havoc among the Domains' enemies.

Medium Fighter Drones

Medium Q-Fighters are the standard drones operated by fleet units, major bases and offensive formations, as they are considered the best blend of the disposable nature of smaller drones and the firepower of larger drones.

Corsair CSR-Q12:
Base: Corsair CSR-V12 (RS3039u)
3.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Remove both medium lasers, both forward small lasers, one aft small laser

Transit TR-10Q/Lightning LTN-G15Q:
Base: Transit TR-10 (RS3039u) / Lightning LTN-G15 (RS3075u-AoW)
3.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Remove both nose medium lasers (transit) or nose and aft laser (Lightning)
Remove two heatsinks (11)
Increase armor as follows: f:67 w:37 a:35

F-90Q Stingray:
Base: F-90 Stingray (RS3039u)
4.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Replace PPC with an additional large laser
Remove both medium lasers
Reduce armor as follows: f:60 w:41 a:34

Hellcat HCT-213Q
Base: Hellcat HCT-213 (RS3075u-AoW)
Remove nose large laser
Increase armor as follows: n:59 w:42 a:33

Gotha GTHA-400Q
Base: Gotha GTHA-400 (RS3050u-C/SL)
Replace LRM-15s with LRM-10s and an additional ton of ammunition
Remove both small lasers
Reduce armor as follows: n:70 w:45 a:40

The Terran Domains took the oportunity to solve the ammunition problems of the Gotha with their drone variant.

LCF-R15Q Lucifer:
Base: Lucifer LCF-R15 (RS3039u)
5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Remove one ton LRM ammunition, medium laser, all four small lasers
Replace both large lasers with a single Blazer cannon

The Lucifer has the distinction of starting the trend among aerospace units of swapping paired heavy lasers for a single blazer cannon to both save weight and improve penetration against heavy armor.

SLQ-17 Shilone:
Base: Shilone SL-17 (RS3039u)
5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Remove both wing medium lasers and three heatsinks (17)

Heavy Fighter Drones

Heavy Q-Fighters don't see much use, as the prevailing notion is that these more powerful and expensive ffighters are much better suited to manned operations. There are exceptions, however.

Transgressor TR-13Q /Eagle EGL-R6Q
Base: Transgressor TR-13 (RS3039u) / Eagle EGL-R6 (RS3075u-AoW)
5.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Remove all four medium lasers, one heatsink (24)
Reduce armor as follows: n:78, w:50 a:38

Slayer SLQ-15
Base: Slayer SL-15 (RS3039u)
6 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Remove four heatsinks (16), two tons of fuel (8)

Typhoon TFN-2Q
Base: Typhoon TFN-2A (RS3075u-AoW)
6.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Replace the paired large lasers in each wing with a single blazer cannon
Remove both PPCs
Add nine heatsinks (35)
Increase armor as follows: n:46 w:35 a:28

Ahab AHB-Q
Base: Ahab AHB-X (RS3050u-C/SL)
6.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Replace LRM-20s with LRM-15s
Remove one medium laser, add one small laser to the nose

Small Craft Drones

Unlike Heavy Fighters, Small Craft class drones are reasonably common, especially around heavily populated and industrialized systems. Armed patrol drones are usually only used as support vessels to manned craft, with the Taurian Concordat being a notable exception. The Taurian navy uses their own Tigress Drones extensively to conduct automated patrols of the Hyades cluster, considering the occasional bit of friendly fire simply a good way to keep out unwanted visitors.

Aquarius-Q
Base: Aquarius (RS3075u-AoW)
14 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Replace both nose large lasers with a single Blazer Cannon
Remove both LRM-10s and associated ammunition, one heatsink (31)

Lyonesse-Q
Base: Lyonesse (RS3075u-AoW)
12.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Replace LRM 20 and ammunition with LRM-10 with one ton ammunition
Remove SRM 6 and ammunition, one aft medium laser, and aft small laser

Intrepid-Q
Base: Intrepid (2478) (Primitives IV)
10.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Remove infantry bay, all medium lasers, add small laser to aft

Tigress-Q
Base: Tigress TIG-15 Gunboat (HB:MPS)
10.5 ton control system (SRCS-I)
Downgrade crew quarters to steerage
Remove 2.5 tons cargo (4.5)

Large Drones

Though nothing compared to the fabled CASPARs of the old Star League, Drone assault ships are commonly used as screens for capital assets in major engagements and defensive elements for important, isolated facilities. The Avenger and Leopard CV are the most common examples, with larger vessels generally limited to manned operations.

Comstar's AutoMode (a strained acronym of Autonomous mobile communications node) is billed as a helpful support asset intended to provide additional communications support where needed (such as facilitating realtime two way communications in concert with ground stations, or providing temporary coverage in the case of an HPG outage), however it is taken for granted that these remote vessels operate in a secondary role as espionage craft packed full of observation gear. Of course, none of the houses would consider acting violently on these suspicions, but rumors indicate that certain buyers would pay highly for discrete access to such a vessel, should one be "located disabled" or otherwise wander into private hands.

Avenger-Q
Base: Avenger (obsolete) (TRO3057r) (SRCS-I)
98 ton control system (9% of total mass)
Reduce cargo to 28 tons

Leopard-QCV
Base: Leopard CV (obsolete) (TRO3057r)
171 ton control system (9% of total mass) (SRCS-I)
Replace all six fighter cubicles with four ARTS fighter cubicles (2 in bay 1, 2 in bay 2, 2 doors per bay)
Reduce cargo to 66 tons (move to bay three, 1 door)

Comstar Autonomous Mobile Communications Node
Base: Explorer class Jumpship (TRO3075)
250 ton control system (SRCS)
Remove passenger quarters
Replace small craft bays with 1 ARTS small craft bay (1 door)
Add Mobile Hyperpulse Generator, Small Naval Comm Scanner, High Resolution and Infrared Imager (aft), 10 tons communication equipment
Crew changes to 35 in steerage quarters
Increase cargo to 387 tons

Command and Support Units

Not drones in their own right, the Drone command variants of the Vengeance and Titan provide critical direction and oversight to massed drone formations. The pressence of these vessels in theater vastly improve the performace of any attached drones, making them highly prized.

While most of the Great Houses prefer the Command Vengeance for its superior drone direction capability, the forces of the Terran Domains rely on a variant of their own Titan which, though only able to control a fraction of the drones a Vengeance can handle, features vastly superior weaponry and armor able to fend off attackers. Both craft can also call upon a full wing of aerofighters, frequently elite formations of manned, heavyweight craft.

Command-Vengeance
Base: Vengeance (Obsolete) (TRO3057r)
Remove 20 fighter cubicles from bay 2
Add ATAC (18 unit capacity)
Add one officer, six crewmen to complement
Increase cargo to 245 tons, move cargo, small craft, and respective doors to bay 2, remove bay 3

Command-Titan
Base: Titan (Star League) (TRO3057r)
Add ATAC (6 unit capacity)
Reduce Cargo in bay 1 to 498 tons, and bay 2 and 3 to 497 tons
Add one officer, two crew to complement
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: A big mess of Aerospace drones!
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2017, 19:04:22 »
That Command Titan could easily be what replaced the M-10, come to think of it.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2017, 22:50:18 »
Now that you mention it, that does make sense.

I'm contemplating whether an unmanned version of the Mammoth might be a good idea. I'm imagining a pretty vast, robust interstellar economy, so I'm contemplating the idea of large trading companies using unmanned transports to cut personnel costs.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2017, 04:52:21 »
Now that I can post again I can say this is very neat, thanks for posting it Liam!

Register