Author Topic: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!  (Read 251799 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!
« Reply #990 on: 05 December 2017, 20:55:40 »
Certainly C-130s can, though the pictures below I think was just demonstrative purposes they could do it.
USS Forrestal in October 1963.

Yep. They did a total of 21 tests, gave the pilot a Distinguished Flying Cross, and never tried it again.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #991 on: 05 December 2017, 21:33:07 »
Yep. They did a total of 21 tests, gave the pilot a Distinguished Flying Cross, new underpants and never tried it again.

Fixed for you  O0
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #992 on: 05 December 2017, 21:37:36 »
If we are going to talk big aircraft near/on aircraft carriers then:

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #993 on: 05 December 2017, 22:11:05 »
F-111?  Nice...

Looks like USS Zumwalt's sister ship is undergoing trials now, USS Michael Monsoor DDG 1001.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #994 on: 06 December 2017, 00:16:52 »
F-111?  Nice...

Sea Trials of the prototype F-111B trials aboard USS Coral Sea.

Would you like to know more? https://youtu.be/UxDV9y5Is64

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #995 on: 06 December 2017, 00:58:28 »
Fixed for you  O0

From what I've read, the pilot was cool as a cucumber. It was everyone else that wore brown trousers for the duration of the tests.

Man, I love the Herky Bird. But that's a topic for another thread. :D
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #996 on: 06 December 2017, 01:44:25 »
if my research was right, the C-130 tests actually proved fairly viable, in terms of takeoffs and landings. the reason it was never picked up was that the sheer size of the plane and the deck area that would have to be cleared to let it land and take off was just so large that it was a major disruption to operations, and would limit the number of planes that could be carried in the air wing (since they wouldn't be able to park as many on deck, in order to be able to clear them out of the way.)

so instead they developed a smaller Carrier delivery craft, the C-1 Trader, that could operate off carriers using the same catapult and arrester wire set ups as the fighters, and which would be more easily slotted into normal deck operations.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #997 on: 06 December 2017, 04:09:01 »
I recall reading that at one point, just to see if it would work, the pilot threw the plane into full reverse on the props while he was still about 10 feet above the deck.  The total landing run from wheels-down to stop at that point was something idiotic like 30 feet, without a tailhook.

If we are going to talk big aircraft near/on aircraft carriers then:

I always dug that short Vought nose on the early -111, before it got the extension.  It seriously gives the cockpit a look like the F-8.

Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #998 on: 06 December 2017, 06:42:56 »
if my research was right, the C-130 tests actually proved fairly viable, in terms of takeoffs and landings. the reason it was never picked up was that the sheer size of the plane and the deck area that would have to be cleared to let it land and take off was just so large that it was a major disruption to operations, and would limit the number of planes that could be carried in the air wing (since they wouldn't be able to park as many on deck, in order to be able to clear them out of the way.)

so instead they developed a smaller Carrier delivery craft, the C-1 Trader, that could operate off carriers using the same catapult and arrester wire set ups as the fighters, and which would be more easily slotted into normal deck operations.

Yup. I found a video! https://youtu.be/ar-poc38C84

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #999 on: 06 December 2017, 06:45:40 »
I recall reading that at one point, just to see if it would work, the pilot threw the plane into full reverse on the props while he was still about 10 feet above the deck.  The total landing run from wheels-down to stop at that point was something idiotic like 30 feet, without a tailhook.

I wonder how the A-5 Vigilante was handled.  I almost mistook the F-111 for it.  She was just recon jet by the time F-111 came around.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #1000 on: 06 December 2017, 08:38:26 »
Not sure if the F-111B had the problem, but the shot of it with the engines lit reminds me of the early trials of the Tomcat, when they found that the current blast deflectors on board the carriers were just fine for the Intruder, the Corsair, even the Phantom, but... not so much for the Turkey. (This was one of several reasons the Midway and Coral Sea never operated Tomcats, actually)

In this particular instance, the Tomcat lit both engines, knocked down the deflector, and melted the nose of the RA-5 on the other side. I'm trying to find the photo of the RA-5 afterwards, it's in a book I used to own- everything forward of the cockpit is just sort of drooping Concorde-style. Oops.

"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1001 on: 06 December 2017, 09:35:00 »
With the nose gear being longer on the A-5 i'm sure that the plane scrapped a couple of times on the carrier. The A-5 was a physically a big plane, but not in the weight department. The Midways did operate them for a little bit. The F-14 and the S-3 I guess was to much for them. 

Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1002 on: 06 December 2017, 11:36:36 »
Not sure if the F-111B had the problem, but the shot of it with the engines lit reminds me of the early trials of the Tomcat, when they found that the current blast deflectors on board the carriers were just fine for the Intruder, the Corsair, even the Phantom, but... not so much for the Turkey. (This was one of several reasons the Midway and Coral Sea never operated Tomcats, actually)

In this particular instance, the Tomcat lit both engines, knocked down the deflector, and melted the nose of the RA-5 on the other side. I'm trying to find the photo of the RA-5 afterwards, it's in a book I used to own- everything forward of the cockpit is just sort of drooping Concorde-style. Oops.

Bearing in mind a little allowance for foreshortening effect, thats a fair visual comparison with the Hornet in the background.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #1003 on: 06 December 2017, 15:11:47 »
If my memory serves me correctly, the Tomcat uses the same engines, the Pratt & Whitney TF30, as the F-111B, although the variant of the engine may differ. So you can probably expect similar issues would have arisen if the F-111B had made it into service.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 16:52:24 by glitterboy2098 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1005 on: 06 December 2017, 17:29:34 »
The non-skid must have been hell on the wing tips...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1006 on: 06 December 2017, 18:29:25 »
Hate to make an image of a U2 carrying a Rad-Egg landing on one of these and miss...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1007 on: 06 December 2017, 19:21:26 »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1008 on: 07 December 2017, 05:19:09 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

also, this experiment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HMPMYL19E
which is probably even crazier.

LOOK MA
NO HOOK

Classic! Surprised no JATO rockets used on those launches, but I guess they just didn't need them.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1009 on: 07 December 2017, 07:07:41 »
What surprised me was the C130 taking off the much shorter angled deck.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1010 on: 07 December 2017, 07:19:18 »
Much shorter, but much wider.
I have spoken.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1011 on: 07 December 2017, 07:23:44 »
I didn't know this ship existed, but this is a 1:1 scale replica/reconstruction of the Imperial Chinese Navy's Dingyuan armoured cruiser / Ironclad.  The original ship was launched in 1885 as the flagship of the Beiyang Fleet during the First Sino-Japanese War.  The original ship had incredible amount of bad luck and wasn't as well designed.  Ultimately the ship was sunk by scuttling, to avoid capture just before the fleet surrendered.

I was sort amazed a Imperial ship recreated by Chinese.  What i was reading this replica fixed some of the problems with the original was the layout of the flying bridge, because it basically blocked the ship's main gun turrets from firing or risk blasting the occupants.  There isn't terrible alot information on the Replica itself.

Pretty nice reconstruction!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1012 on: 07 December 2017, 20:27:45 »
Great reconstruction!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1013 on: 09 December 2017, 09:16:46 »
A leedle British humour at the commissioning of the HMS Queen Elizabeth, the Royal Navy's first aircraft carrier in I don't know how long (aircraft pending)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1014 on: 09 December 2017, 12:01:00 »
LOL, i hope Queen didn't mind the sense of humor injected into the cake. That's awesome. :)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1015 on: 09 December 2017, 13:22:58 »
since it is being discussed over in the AFV thread..

the AMOS mortar system, on the CB90 patrol boat. video shows why they decided not to mount the system on the boat, and work on a bigger boat for it. (might be cancelled now, since the AMOS was)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsxrNexjkY

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1016 on: 09 December 2017, 13:46:11 »
Stridsbat 2010 Ny was cancelled in 2009 since its only purpose was to carry AMOS.

They might still - with different armament - have made sense as a replacement of the similar-sized Tapper class patrol vessels (23m boats, 62 tons displacement, 12 boats) which served as patrol and ASW units with crews from the Swedish Amphibious Corps. The Tapper class was subsequently supposed to retire in 2014 but they have been retained for Rule 4 reasons.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1017 on: 11 December 2017, 06:25:42 »
Nice shot of a Zubr-class hovercraft

for scale comparison

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1018 on: 11 December 2017, 06:57:53 »
Zubr-Class Hovercraft suntanning with bikini Clad Russians.+

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1019 on: 11 December 2017, 08:24:46 »
Zubr-Class Hovercraft suntanning with bikini Clad Russians.+

Go to the Beach have a great time with the family, and you get invaded. I guess only in RUSSIA!!
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 10:14:20 by I am Belch II »