Author Topic: Is there any list out there that lists garrisons?  (Read 1299 times)

Sentinel4

• Private
Is there any list out there that lists garrisons?
« on: 20 August 2017, 14:54:53 »
So,

I have a mercenary unit I created since the 3025 era, and would like them to have a home.  Originally, I thought Connaught would be good.  But then I started thinking, probably overly so, that my unit really can't be there as it is usually garrisoned...and I've grown to a combined arms regiment.  One really can't explain that away very easily.

So, I would like to find a planet that isn't garrisoned.  Might there be such locations within the IS?  If so, is there a way to find them?  I thought to search through Sarna, but that might take many moons.  I would like to be settled in the FWL.

Thoughts? 

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
"Woe to the man that tries to remember, for it is his doom to always forget."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: Is there any list out there that lists garrisons?
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2017, 16:28:35 »

Do you want to garrison against Elsies, Cappies, or bandit scum?

Do you have a favorite FWL sub-faction or two?
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2017, 16:38:04 »
Most planets are going to have a basic planetary militia - maybe a couple regiments of infantry and some token introtech vehicles (Hunters, Scorpions, SRM carriers, etc), but any of them would welcome a well-equipped merc. There are plenty of FWL planets in 3025 without a mech garrison.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2017, 16:53:22 »
How about Abadan? Fairly close to Connaught...

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Abadan

Death by Lasers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2017, 17:11:43 »
So, I would like to find a planet that isn't garrisoned.  Might there be such locations within the IS?  If so, is there a way to find them?  I thought to search through Sarna, but that might take many moons.  I would like to be settled in the FWL.

Sure, absolutely.  While our information on garrison levels is pretty vague in most of the publications there are somewhat detailed descriptions of planetary garrisons for a number of planets in the Hot Spots series, the Clan sourcebooks (Wolf, Jade Falcon, Invaders), and the 4th Succession Wars NAIS Atlases.  All of these sources feature many planets with no or virtually no garrisons. 

The problem with finding a particular world that doesn't have a garrison is that they are usually very minor worlds and these are the ones we have the least information on.  You might want to look through the Brushwars series on Antons revolt to see if there is a mention of a world without a garrison.  I would say though that you could probably pick any un-described world and give it a minimal or non-existent garrison and be entirely within the precedent set by canon.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

J.R.R Tolikien, The Two Towers

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2017, 03:47:25 »
pick any un-described world and give it a minimal or non-existent garrison and be entirely within the precedent set by canon
Yeah totally do this.

IMHO if you want a believable story for your unit (YMMV), find a world which hasn't been described in canon, and make it yours... some players I know do this. Make it the long-term garrison contract for your unit, give your unit close ties to said planet, make it your unit's primary recruiting base. Explain that the garrison contract is enough to provide shelter for your unit, but you need to take up other contracts to profit and expand. Figure out what you'll leave behind and what you'll deploy on missions.

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2017, 05:26:49 »
I hear there's some land on Helm that the FWL are suspiciously keen to give away...  O0

Srsly tho, another thing you could do is get settled in a system that is garrisoned, just do so on a moon or an unpopulated or insignificant planet, rather than the major one.

Also, Mercenaries are often used to garrison worlds when their regular defenders are called up to front line duties. So you could be contracted to maintain a presence on planet X while unit Y is at location Z fighting the ABCs. Which wouldn't necessarily preclude accepting other contracts, as long as you maintain a combat presence on world (company B stays home while company A is away on deployment). This means you could pick a world which does have a garrison, just find a reason for them not to be around at the time.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 05:33:26 by Phobos101 »

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2017, 18:57:51 »
What about Herakleion?   >:D
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2017, 22:04:47 »
Another item I did not see mentioned is the older Hot Spots books. In it you can find tables for different garrison sizes for different worlds as well as tables for raiding parties. It might be useful. Its under the old catalog number 1679 published by FASA.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2017, 22:22:54 »
Another item I did not see mentioned is the older Hot Spots books. In it you can find tables for different garrison sizes for different worlds as well as tables for raiding parties. It might be useful. Its under the old catalog number 1679 published by FASA.

Hot Spots series

It was. And yeah, that generates some passable garrisons. Though, with a few too many Mechs IMHO.

Sentinel4

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2017, 00:12:50 »
Thanks all!  That's some good info.

Not to get too detailed, I have done some research and have a good back story for my unit.

My unit leader's grandfather, Major Grant Macrae, was an officer in the 7th Avalon Hussars who died protecting First Prince Ian Davion on Mallory's World. 

His grandfather's brother, James, was a Count but couldn't have children.  Grant, or his son Marcus, was to be the most likely heir.

Marcus had fallen in love with the daughter of a business man that owned a Tier II company that supplied parts for the targeting/communications suite for mechs being built at Kong Interstellar.  Marcus had met Helen during a trade mission between the Federated Suns and the Free Worlds League.

Marcus was planning to marry Helen but, with the death of his father Grant, that set his plans in turmoil.  With Grant being one of the last mechwarriors to stand with his brother, Prince Ian, Grant was lauded as a hero of the realm.  Now First Prince Hanse wanted the Macraes to retain the title after James's death.  But love won out and Marcus decided to travel to Connaught and marry his true love....awww!

During the commencement ceremony to honor his father, Marcus got to meet Prince Hanse.  Hanse asked Marcus to reconsider, but Marcus declined, stating that he might be living in a different realm, but may still answer the call when needed.

Jump to 3039, and a certain war between the FC and the Draconis Combine.  A mercenary unit named Macrae's Cavaliers thwarted a sudden flanking maneuver that would have caught up Arden Sortek during a review of the battle.  Arden thought he was far enough behind the line, but obviously was not the case.  For potentially saving the Prince's Champion, Hanse wishes to reward Macrae's Cavaliers.  Marcus asks that the first born children of the 24 mechwarriors who participated in that engagement be allowed to attend a military academy within the Commonwealth.  Hanse agrees,  but stipulates that they have to serve in a FC unit for at least 4 years.  Marcus agrees.

Jump to to 3047, when Marcus's son Cameron graduates from the Nagelring and is assigned....wait for it....to the 10th Lyran Guard.

It goes on, but that's the gist of it.

Please provide feedback if you like.

I would like to find a world close enough to the Lyran border, but also not too far from the DC too.  On TT my merc unit consistently fights Lyrans and Combine troops.  Once the Lyrans become part of the FC, that falters off, and they go up against the Cappies, or pirates along with the Combine.  Then the Clans later on.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2017, 00:19:10 by Sentinel4 »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2017, 00:17:43 »
So still mercs but want to be somewhere neat the Terran corridor? No fighting the FC means FWL or FRR territory unless you are contracted to FC.

Sentinel4

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2017, 00:40:59 »
Not FRR.  If I go further, Cameron meets a girl, Rachel Dahlberg, from the FRR that also attends the Nagelring as part of a deal between the FC and FRR.

They have a fling but go their separate ways once they graduate.  They continue to keep in touch and their relationship grows from a distance.  He goes to the 10th Lyran, and eventually becomes one of the Revenants.  She is assigned to the 4th Drakons.  He fights with the 10th until they rescue Hohiro....then takes over the Cavaliers.  She eventually gets an all expense paid trip to to the emerald paradise called Huntress.  His father, Marcus still keeps in touch with Arden Sortek.  Through this Cameron finds out about Operation Bulldog and asks Victor if his merc unit can join, but is denied.  He does allow Cameron to take what he can carry on his Fortress dropship and fight with his old unit, the Revenants.

My only concern, if my planet is too close to the terrain corridor, is what happens to merc units when their planet is swallowed up by the ROTS?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2017, 00:57:53 »
House units would be transfered away, mercs would be rebased by their employer... if this is a territory/planet given for service such as the Dragoons and Outreach... that could be a story all on its own.

I played a long stretching merc unit long long ago. They did so well during the 3rd and 4th SW they were granted an unremarkable world near the periphery/Liao border. Buuuut later in the story one of the kids got too big for his britches and took half the unit (sister got the better half) then thought he would carve his own little empire at the Taurians expense. Poor sis had to deal with a 3 way fight between TC, CC, and FC trying to take the planet back by force. Fun fun times and a great adventure it was.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2017, 02:12:36 »
My only concern, if my planet is too close to the terrain corridor, is what happens to merc units when their planet is swallowed up by the ROTS?

They are given a choice:  join the RAF, surrender their 'Mechs to the Republic, move the unit to Galatea or move the unit beyond the Republic's borders.

Of more pressing concern might be how did they survive the Jihad?  While Connaught might not have been occupied by the Blakists, they wouldn't have tolerated a potentially hostile unit so close to their border.  However, it does have the makings of an interesting campaign.

BTW at this point shouldn't this thread be moved to the Non-Canon Units section?
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.