Author Topic: Camo for a multi-role BA force  (Read 1117 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Camo for a multi-role BA force
« on: 22 August 2017, 15:39:20 »
So, I have a force of Battle Armor troops I use to good effect in both Urban and Wooded areas. They are complete, mounted well on pennies, primed and ready to get painted.

Problem is, I can't decide how BEST to paint such a multi-role force?

If at all possible I'm looking for advice and/or examples of how others have/would paint a force that operates in both an urban environment one day and a wooded one the next (without time for the convenient repaint job).

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Camo for a multi-role BA force
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2017, 15:50:27 »
Hmmm - there's not going to be anything that works well in both environments; they're just very different. So you'll have to aim at a compromise.

How about: base with a faded green - look for "olive drab faded" paint. Then use black stripes & slashes for counterpoint. Hit with a light brown ink wash - about 1/3 ink, 2/3 water, to bring out the panel lines.

The faded green won't be a perfect match for concrete but it'll be bland enough with luck; the black counterpoints blend in with urban terrain, and hopefully forest shadow.

At the end of the day, BA don't need huge amounts of detail so hopefully that's sufficient.

Hope that helps!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2017, 17:09:01 »
I'd go with a tan base and brown and gray splotches. I like the look of the camo on the receiver and hand guard of this AR (attached) I found in a search. "Coyote Tan, Patriot Brown and Sniper Grey Cerakote in a granite pattern."

Tans and grays seem to blend better in more environments and seasons than greens, and avoiding black is a good idea IMO.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2017, 17:11:40 by Cache »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2017, 17:59:04 »
Black, grays & a very drab green which is close to a gray would be the pattern.  Look at what some of the original ACU colors did.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2017, 18:54:20 »
You should hire these guys.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2017, 21:05:04 »
ROFLMAO !!! :))

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2017, 15:48:57 »
You should hire these guys.

"I pity the fool!"  :)
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

Register