Author Topic: Why I love this game more than D&D or GURPS.  (Read 1647 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Why I love this game more than D&D or GURPS.
« on: 09 September 2017, 11:44:02 »
In my RPG group, we have about 6 people. 3 of them are magic users; the other 3 are not. The magic users spend about an hour arguing over how to use magic each turn; each non-magic user takes about a minute each turn. Since the non-magic users have revolted and taken up AToW, their is actually good pacing and roleplaying in the game. Everyone gets about the same amount of time each turn. 30-50 turns will go by in a AToW session, versus the 3-5 turns in D&D or GURPS session. True, various magic users have quit the group, but now we are able to introduce new people to an RPG. With D&D or GURPS, it was impossible to get new people in the game. Most people won't put up with watching others argue over how magic works for an hour before it is their turn.

A friend from MWO told me to play this game one day when I was venting about magic users.

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
Re: Why I love this game more than D&D or GURPS.
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2017, 07:12:59 »
Yep. Completely agree. I also find that people's characters don't tend to come across as cartoonish or caricature-like as in fantasy games. Things go much smoother when the game doesn't screech to a halt every five minutes to dispute magic  and class specific abilities, and you don't spend half the game cringing at your friend's over the top entitled, sociopathic valleygirl sorceress or way-too-lawful-good paladin.

Register