Author Topic: Campaigns for 6-8 players  (Read 2424 times)

Zombiemood

• Recruit
Campaigns for 6-8 players
« on: 20 September 2017, 07:56:24 »
Hello everyone I have just gotten into Alpha Strike with a small group of players a few weeks ago and we are loving the game. So far we have only done some skirmish games and one capture the flag scenario game but we are wanting to broaden the scope of the game now that we have a better understanding of the rules. The players are wanting to do a campaign during the Clan Invasion Era. The rulebook seems geared towards only 2 players for a campaign though, does anyone have any campaigns that would be ideal for 6-8 players? If it helps to know what people are playing so far our army choices are a bit eclectic as I'm running a Wolf's Dragoons Black Widow Company, my son is doing Crescent Hawks, another player is Eridani Light Horse, a Gray Death Legion, 2 people interested in Draconis Columbine (But Can rarely make it), and 3 people who are interested in playing clans.

Minnow

• Agent #618 of the Line
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
    • Wolf's Dragoons
Re: Campaigns for 6-8 players
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2017, 14:58:32 »
You could check out Total Chaos or any of the Turning Points PDFs. Total Chaos outlines some campaign options for running games.
~ Minnow  CDT #618

Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into the darkness. -- Natasha Kerensky

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2017, 16:39:06 »
 campaigns mission are always about a side called "the attacker" an another called "the defender". each side can have as many players as you want, so far the balance of their forces are align whit the ones stated in the mission decryption.
 My advice if your players want to keep the timeline during the clans invasion era: make your mercs players form a "unified incursion force" against the clans occupation zone. create parallel tracks for each player s each force should be trying to reach critical objectives during theirs incursions.
 then as each side advances in the campaign, for the final battle check which side achieved more players to the "final battle" (between the Mercs and the Clans). the side with more players ready for the final battle will be the attacker in this final mission. Remmember that each side will have to fight with whatever forces their are left, so perhaps the clans wins to be the attacker during the final battle, but their forces are now vastly outnumbered by the remaining Mercs...
 Then, lets this "us against them" resolve as each team of players fires to the other team.

lot of writting  for a non English speaking native  :-\
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Zombiemood

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2017, 09:01:46 »
Thank you Minnow I'll look out for those books and see if they help, and thank you as well OpacusVenatori I was expecting already to group the players together specially since most of our Mercs are affiliated with Davion/Steiner against clans players and Kurita.  Was hoping someone has already ran such a campaign though and maybe had the details of it on file so I can run a copy of it smoothly. Since I don't have a lot of experience with the game yet and with creating campaigns and missions, I don't want to possibly make unbalanced scenarios that would deter players.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2017, 22:19:07 »
Best way I've found to keep the game balanced is with the Point Values and equal deployment scenarios.  But unbalanced can be fun as well if the scenario is done well and all the players are informed ahead of time.  We've been using the scenarios and campaign info from the AS rule book and AS Companion and have had good luck and a good time.  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2017, 22:52:10 »
I have created a campaign that is focused on the Clan invasion. It even includes a bidding system.

If you want a copy PM me your email and I will send it through to you.
« Last Edit: 28 September 2017, 20:11:04 by Son of Kerenski »

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2017, 20:42:53 »
I wrote these campaign rules up a while ago, but it was still intended for 2 players per campaign.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/289897104/Battletech-Alpha-Strike-Campaign-Rules

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2017, 06:45:42 »
I wrote these campaign rules up a while ago, but it was still intended for 2 players per campaign.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/289897104/Battletech-Alpha-Strike-Campaign-Rules

Descronan, thank you for linking to this. I'm really enjoying reading thru these rules. I don't play on the AS level, but there is a lot of material here I can adapt for my own campaigns. Plus, the hexographer reference (and help) seems like a real opportunity. Only in the middle of my first read-thru, but wanted to say "thanks" before loosing this post.

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2017, 08:37:08 »
What I've done for multiple players in the past is have them work together but each player started with a set equal PV lance. The Opfor was set up in lance/star sizes of similar PV so that I could change based on who showed up. If there was an odd number I'd rotate who played with me on the OpFor or have them roll off.