Author Topic: What Tool Do You Use To Measure LOS?  (Read 3931 times)

Mulsiphix

• Sergeant
    • Talislanta - Still No Elves!
What Tool Do You Use To Measure LOS?
« on: 02 October 2017, 10:49:26 »
I use a spool of thread to measure Line Of Sight. I'm wondering if there is a better or more expedient way to accomplish this. Anybody out there using something different? Question is about maps printed on paper, not 3D terrain. Thanks!  ;)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: What Tool Do You Use To Measure LOS?
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2017, 11:00:39 »
I use a spool of thread to measure Line Of Sight. I'm wondering if there is a better or more expedient way to accomplish this. Anybody out there using something different? Question is about maps printed on paper, not 3D terrain. Thanks!  ;)

My old group used a leveling laser, like you'd use to make sure a shelf is level. Hold it over the midway point between the two hexes, orient so that it's drawing a line between the two, and if it cuts any terrain along the way that would block LOS then there you go. Not the cheapest solution, but if you have one around anyway then why not? (Also useful if you play without hexes for determining if something is in your firing arc)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

massey

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2017, 11:04:23 »
We used to just take one of the record sheets, turn it on its edge, and use that.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2017, 11:24:51 »
a few things (laser Level), including a blank sheet of hex paper.

Mark Unit A, Mark Unit B, draw a line from centre-centre and see offending hexes are touched.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2017, 12:18:53 »
Depends what you are playing on.

For actual terrain, laser pointer. It is the best way to see the shot from mech torso level. If you need to see the path, I use a stiff measuring tape turned on its side.
For on mapsheet, levelling laser is a cool one, but you should be able to look at the hexes and plot out the path.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2017, 14:53:58 »
For mapsheets I find a ruler works well. Or a retracting tape measure if you've got really big mapsheets.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2017, 14:56:44 »
laser

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2017, 15:54:10 »
I stand behind and level with one mini and check if I can see the other mini at the same time.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2017, 19:20:36 »
Leviathan's piece of string. It's the finest piece of string provided by any game, ever! O0

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2017, 19:39:29 »
A yak, a length of rubber hose and a jar of vaseline.

Or I just look at the hexes?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2017, 20:19:24 »

Your games sound scary :o

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2017, 22:10:20 »

Or I just look at the hexes?

Now that is fan dedication.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2017, 03:12:26 »
My old group used a leveling laser, like you'd use to make sure a shelf is level. Hold it over the midway point between the two hexes, orient so that it's drawing a line between the two, and if it cuts any terrain along the way that would block LOS then there you go. Not the cheapest solution, but if you have one around anyway then why not? (Also useful if you play without hexes for determining if something is in your firing arc)

Best Christmas gift from my grandmother, ever! Though, I didn't realize it at the time until we got tired of the thread/string method. As soon as I got that thing out, I never went back.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Mulsiphix

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2017, 16:06:25 »
  • Are you guys wearing eye protection when using that laser lever? Seems annoying to constantly put glasses on and off.
  • As far as eying them, when I use thread, itsy bitsy corners get clipped all the time. I try to eye it but rarely is my count ever the same as the string, due to that issue.
  • I'd considered using MegaMek to pre-setup a map and then using its built in feature. I don't have a laptop though so currently that isn't much of an option.
  • I had considered using a straight edge ruler, measuring tape, or even a paper's edge, but again, due to the tiny corners issue, I imagine I might miss the occasional hex.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2017, 16:09:30 by Mulsiphix »

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2017, 18:43:42 »
Don't worry about eye protection when using a laser, worry about cat protection.

(Using the laser pointer to make a cat knock off the other guy's Atlas is considered cheating.)

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2017, 22:38:57 »
  • Are you guys wearing eye protection when using that laser lever? Seems annoying to constantly put glasses on and off.

Your garden-variety leveling laser should be eye safe, unless it's a dodgy eBay death-ray. I personally have a 15cm and 30cm steel ruler handy to resolve any LOS issues. They are neither eye safe or knuckle safe.[/list]

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: 04 October 2017, 00:23:12 »
My gameshop had a laser pointer for cheap, tape measure and the edge of a record sheet works just as well but now I can make *pew, pew* noises when I check line of sight.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Mulsiphix

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 04 October 2017, 00:52:14 »
I just looked it up and a Class 2 laser is what leveler's contain. I always assumed they required glasses. Thanks for setting me straight guys. I want to go out and grab one right away. Is there a specific design or projection style that I should keep an eye out for? Something better suited to measuring hexes?

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 04 October 2017, 13:13:55 »
Mine's a Laser Level Pro 3.

It also has a tape measure on the other end, and a bunch of other little things for construction that aren't necessary for a game.

All you really need is a version that will show a laser line on a flat surface.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

thecybersmily

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 04 October 2017, 20:12:55 »
My group we use hex-less terrain. For measurement our group uses various lengths of dowels mark ever 2" for hex size (sticks between 12" to 30"). For Los, we eye it sometimes or use our mobile phone cameras to get it.

Mulsiphix

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 04 October 2017, 20:25:38 »
For Los, we eye it sometimes or use our mobile phone cameras to get it.
In what manner are you using your mobile phone cameras?

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 09 October 2017, 19:12:54 »
You can find "laser guided scissors" at most of your favorite web retailers for about $10.  The nice part is that they have the lense that spreads the laser out like a fan.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

thecybersmily

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2017, 20:48:24 »
In what manner are you using your mobile phone cameras?
turn your phone top sown, place in front of mini with lens pointed toward possible target. Takes a bit of practice to start but eventually you can get a snapshot of your mesh POV.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2017, 21:24:44 »
Your games sound scary :o
Now that is fan dedication.

Scary? Dedicated? Not as scary or dedicated as the 60 year old fat guy who cosplays as Natasha Kerensky as portrayed on the original Black Widow Company book. But it is a reference to another 80s game.

I don't see the point of a laser pointer for hexed terrain play.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2017, 23:50:06 »
Army painter sells a little laser pointer that casts a line rather than a dot. We tend to use it for LOS in a variety of games where that sort of thing matters, including BattleTech. The reason I like it is that it doesn’t actually need to touch the mini like a tape measure or dowel. It isn’t perfect, but is often easier to manage than the ‘ole mk.I eyeball alone.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 12 October 2017, 10:59:35 »
I don't see the point of a laser pointer for hexed terrain play.

It really comes in handy for those fine moments where you may or may not be nicking a corner on a wooded hex or elevated terrain which may block LoS.

And, you don't have to worry about getting the line caught on anything (minis/counters) in between.

Register