Author Topic: What traits give special secondary attacks?  (Read 2056 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
What traits give special secondary attacks?
« on: 06 October 2017, 13:47:53 »
TAG and NARC get their own specials for attacks to resolve outside a unit's standard attack.  I was trying to figure out if there is anything outside of standard Arty that did as well.  Specifically the instances that have me the most curious are Arty Cannons and TSEMP (a Loki II and Hellion were the immediate examples).

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Re: What traits give special secondary attacks?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2017, 14:42:11 »
Yes, TSEMP is it's own one. (both versions of it)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2017, 15:22:52 »
I think you covered it all in your original post. ;)

Artillery (including cannons) fire as separate attacks. Just remember that artillery cannons do NOT use the "default-Long" range modifier to their attack; they use the standard attack ranges based on your target.

TSEMP, NARC (both iNarc, cNarc, and regular), and TAG are all, as you said, "Bonus" attacks.  My group has adopted the "Bonus go first" rule, to keep the dice order fair... but your experiences may vary.

The only thing unclear is the Mine Dispenser (p.107) which ...actually has no clarification on when to deploy them...  so I did some digging and found [per TacOps (p.325)] that mines should be deployed either at the beginning or end of the Movement Phase.  This means they do not count as a "bonus" nor do they limit the Combat Action (though Mine Sweeping does replace the Combat Action that turn).  ...However, that is simply a house rule I'd be willing to enforce until TPTB clarify/rule on it to the contrary.   (Errata Question inbound)
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2017, 18:13:43 »
Just trying to keep everything in order.  I just this week played with I-Narc/Narc for the first time.  I am seeing Arty as a necessary tool the last few games as folks get entrenched and exchange IF to various degrees to cover their line units advance.  Thanks for the answers folks.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2017, 23:16:19 »
I'm still trying to unlock a personal achievement of having a single unit blow thru an entire Battle Lance's worth of rerolls in one turn.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2017, 23:44:06 »
There's a Schilltron that might be able to do the trick, with multiple artillery tubes plus a standard attack.

But if you really want to blow through an entire Battle Lance's worth of rerolls, the only possible solution is the Planetlifter.  The text for a Battle Lance says that at least three units have to be of Skirmisher, Brawler, or Sniper roles, and that at least 50% of it has to be Size 3 or higher.  Well, that fits.

From the errata document:
Artillery Attacks while Airborne
An airborne unit can make artillery attacks, but only against ground targets (a unit or POI). In addition, only the ART-AIS or ART-AC special abilities may be used and the attack must be indirect. Other artillery attacks (other artillery types or direct-fire Arrow IV) can only be made while grounded. Airborne artillery attacks apply a +1 to-hit modifier.
If the attacking unit is on-board (including an aerospace unit with a flight path on the ground map), it follows the artillery rules as normal. A unit with a flight path may choose any point along the flight path to make the attack from.
If the attacking unit is on the abstract aerospace Radar Map, it may make the airborne artillery attack from the Inner Ring. This attack will have a flight time of 1 turn.

So, you could (quasi)reasonably have a situation in which the Planetlifter has been engaged by an enemy fighter over the Central Zone.  You may use Lucky to reroll the initial engagement roll, the to-hit roll for the artillery launched at the ground map, the to-hit roll for each bomb, for the lawn dart check, and then for the break engagement check. [blank]

EDIT: Double bonus: that's all without actually even having a standard attack.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2017, 01:35:24 »
Closest I've come is fielding a Teppo :D

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2017, 07:06:36 »
I'm still trying to unlock a personal achievement of having a single unit blow thru an entire Battle Lance's worth of rerolls in one turn.

Isnt that impossible seeing as each unit can only use one reroll per turn? The max you could do would be 4 out of the 6....

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2017, 08:27:19 »

Well...then don't forget the 'special' PILOT SKILL ROLL equivalents of:

Bogging Down, page 70 of AS

and

RAPIDS, page 69 AS

Cause persoanlly, I think a unit SHOULD be able to use LUCKY for these as they are similar in a sense to Control Rolls
« Last Edit: 08 October 2017, 08:32:37 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2017, 08:28:32 »
Isnt that impossible seeing as each unit can only use one reroll per turn? The max you could do would be 4 out of the 6....

Actually, with Clans, it would be 5 of 6 (for a STAR), and for a WoB/COMSTAR LEVEL II one could use all 6 in a single turn ;)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2017, 17:00:40 »
Actually, with Clans, it would be 5 of 6 (for a STAR), and for a WoB/COMSTAR LEVEL II one could use all 6 in a single turn ;)

Ahh yes a WOB L2 would of course.

Register