Author Topic: Motw AGS- * Argus.  (Read 5261 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Motw AGS- * Argus.
« on: 16 October 2017, 00:49:56 »
The Argus was initially conceived as an Omni mech.  The DQ however, ended up rejecting the design citing cost.  Not willing to take no for an answer, the mech was redesigned into a standard mech with both Achernar Battlemechs and Robinson Standard BattleWorks sharing the R&D costs.  The design was summarily accepted.

Capabilities:
Weighing in at 60 tons the Argus and so Davion chic it is to die for.  Seriously, why would you want last season’s Centurion when you could have this bootylicious mech!?

Chic Studmuffin the original Argus prototype

Our Calvary Beef, The Argus has 5 distinct variant which, by and large, are generally an improvement of the original production 4D model.   The 2D which was released at the same time as the 4D is based off of the intended Prime configuration when the mech was first presented as an Omni mech.

AGS-4D:  The 4D mates, at the time of its production, reliable time tested tech with some of the newer toys that were developed after the Com Guards halted the invasion on Tukayyid.  This Argus features a RAC-5, LRM-10, a couple Medium lasers, and a machine gun for token AI protection.  A Targeting computer is included for direct fire accuracy and a Beagle Probe which is an item surprisingly lacking in most domestically produced mechs of the era.  It is a well-rounded design that either found its inspiration from the Clan Invasion Centurion 9-D or some R&D Davion designers’ patriotic duty to make something far better than the craptastic Quickdraw 5Ms the Federated Suns had previously bought from the Free Worlds League.

On its own it is fairly average overall, but as part of a lance its profile raises up.  The biggest drawback of the design is lack of sufficient ammunition for the RAC.  Carrying only two tons of ammunition for its main gun means it can potentially be out of ammunition in faster time than an enemy would run out of Gauss ammo.  Easy enough to fix had the R&D skipped on the MG.

AGS-2D:  The 2D is a very different design from what became the standard production model.  Featuring 2 LRM-15s with Artemis FCS and an ER PPC it gives the Fed Suns a design capable of keeping pace with its line units with heavier LRM launchers.  2 tons of ammunition assure the unit will be useful for an extended period of time.

Just like the 4D, at the time of its production, the Fed Suns was woefully lacking a domestic mech design that featured LRM-15s.  Both the Trebuchet 7M and to a lesser extent the Apollo 1M were purchased from the Free Worlders.  The Apollo is incapable of keeping up with the demands of the line units of the Fed Suns and the Trebuchet is simply underwhelming.  When you have more NARC ammo than you have LRM ammo, it is a very bad sign.  Fortunately for the Suns the R&D stood up and shouted in unison ‘hell no, NARC must go’.

Seen here with his trusty assistant, Head of R&D Dr. Beavis Banzi

AGS-5D:  9 years after the original two models of the Argus shows up we get this beauty in 3071.  As tech from the Jihad has proliferated throughout the Inner Sphere the Fed Suns decided that a Heavy PPC is a good enough weapon to include on the Argus.  The auxiliary weapons consist of 2 Medium lasers and 2 SRM-6 Streak launchers with a ton of ammo a piece.  A Targeting Computer adds accuracy and a C3 slave is included.  Not to be forgotten, there is also a MASC on the mech too.

To make all of that work out, R&D used an XL gyro.  While I’m not generally fond of them, and I’d be willing to sack the MASC to make it work without the special gyro. From top to bottom there is little to find fault with otherwise in this design.  The mech lacks the ability to fire all its weapons and not overheat.   Bracket fire on the other hand will keep the design running comfortably.

AGS-6F:  Produced late in the Jihad, this variant is specifically bent to short range engagements.  Featuring an AC-20 with 4 tons of ammunition, a couple ER Medium Lasers, and an SRM-6 which is a known quality on early model  Victors.  The real reason for the existence of this model probably has more to do with access to the multitude of AC munitions that the Fed Suns have access to than anything else.  Unlike other models this Argus has a Light engine making it more durable than any other model of the Argus.

AGS-8DX: The final variant of the Argus is another late Jihad design.  It is essentially a 4D with updates.  Gone are the MG and the Probe.  Added is a C3 Boosted Slave.  The LRM launcher is exchanged for a MML-7 Launcher and retains the same 2 tons of ammo for both the RAC and the MML.  The same issues that existed on the 4D are found here.

From top to bottom I'd say the design is average on its own, but a good partner to stick in just about any lance.  My own want would be for some jump jets somewhere on one design, but shoe-horning them in over a decrease in firepower would probably do more harm to the design.  Disagree, feel free to speak up.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Motw AGS- * Argus.
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2017, 03:29:42 »
seems to be missing info on the important stuff.. like armor, engine, speed, heat capacity..

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2017, 05:46:40 »
There's also the apocryphal 3D variant based on it's stats in Mechwarrior 4.  It's armed with two U-AC5's, an LRM 10, a couple of medium lasers and a machine gun - I used one once for funzies and it's not as awful as it sounds...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2017, 08:26:50 »
I would like to know the manufacture source for that Heavy PPC (from the 5D variant? Is the HPPC purchased from the DC or is it manufactured somewhere in the FS?

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2017, 11:00:43 »
While I do question the wisdom of using the legs from the Osiris and a weaponized Rollo for an arm, overall I like using the Argus. It's not what you would call a pretty design, but for a 60T mech it packs in a whole lot of capability. If I have to pick between this guy, a Quickdraw, or a Dragon, I'm probably going with the Argus. It isn't exactly fast, but it is fast enough to keep up with the rest of the Davion cavalry designs that came out a decade earlier. 5/8 is good enough to keep pace with the Falconers, Jagermech III's, and Rakshasa's that might be scooting around, and isn't going to get left behind by Nightsky's, XL Centurions, and Hellspawns. There are even a solid group of Davion 5/8 mediums for it to run around with if it wants to be the big guy, instead of the little guy in a lance. Enforcer III's, Enfields, and Bushwackers would be happy to have a pocket-Victor in their lance.

As for jump jets, I actually agree with the decision to leave them off. While I LOVE jumping designs, 60T is a terrible place to be on the tonnage-per-jet chart. The tonnage to mount a respectable number of jets WILL limit your ability to mount the kind of armor and weapons you want, so you are stuck either acting like a medium with big bones, or you go the Anvil route and mount just enough jets to hop over minor obstacles. If you scrape 5T of stuff off any Argus, it starts to look a lot more...meh. Even the brawler-ish -6F, I'm not sure would be improved by adding jump jets. Adding jets means loosing just enough capability that you start to get out-classed by some mediums. Just ask the Quickdraw!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2017, 15:54:43 »
Be cool to have seen actual later OmniMech adaption proving the design works.

When i saw "DQ ejecting it" , i thought for moment...Dairy Queen rejected?  I guess it would be weird delivery vehicle for them...
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2017, 19:37:46 »
I actually really like the Argus, partly because it's one of my favorite Heavies in MW4, and partly because it looks like there's no wasted space on the entire 'Mech.  The thing is built rugged and simple.  Plus I'm a sucker 5/8 heavy cav units.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2017, 20:18:52 »
Must pick up one of the newer resculpts. I recently used old-scupt Argus legs under an old-sculpt Uziel torso, with new arms, to try and get an Uziel bigger than an Osiris ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2017, 21:40:54 »
If I have to pick between this guy, a Quickdraw, or a Dragon

That was what was tickling the back of my mind, the Argus -4D looks like a Davion-ized Dragon.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2017, 00:24:56 »
I would like to know the manufacture source for that Heavy PPC (from the 5D variant? Is the HPPC purchased from the DC or is it manufactured somewhere in the FS?

Probably the GM Magna Hellfire Heavy PPCs made on El Dorado that are also used on the Warlord
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2017, 11:27:42 »
The 5D looks very much like a C3-Lance Pointman to me.
Streak SRMs, MASC...  All the more worrying the large gyro.
I think it could have benefited from an ERPPC and a compact more. Or snub, unliked as they are.
The visuals give of a 'workhorse' feel, and as a non-omni, that's kind of what it is. Well, maybe a bit fragile once the armour is gone.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Aunodin

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2017, 14:23:39 »
good and funny article, thank you for taking up my request. Only missed a few things as has been put already.

The Argus has just been one of those mechs that struck a cord with me and never let go. Maybe because it is almost everything you could want out of a davion heavy. It has Autocanons, it is a Cavalry mech, it works great with a combined arms army. When you hit those checklists you just spark such a strong cord. I can easily slot this into many of my heavy lances and not regret it

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2017, 21:54:50 »
 The Federated Suns did good work with the Champion. It is almost unrecognizable with all that armor.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2017, 23:18:10 »
seems to be missing info on the important stuff.. like armor, engine, speed, heat capacity..
I generally will comment on those items if it blows me away.  BY and large though there aren't any significant differences between each model with the noted exception of the light engine mounted on the one model.

There's also the apocryphal 3D variant based on it's stats in Mechwarrior 4.  It's armed with two U-AC5's, an LRM 10, a couple of medium lasers and a machine gun - I used one once for funzies and it's not as awful as it sounds...
I intentionally did not bring it up because of the fact it is not a catalyst sponsored design.

As would I, but I think the answer provided elsewhere makes the most sense.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2017, 00:29:40 »
It did, actually, sir.

Register