Author Topic: Just how close can a Warship get to an airless world?  (Read 2825 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Just how close can a Warship get to an airless world?
« on: 16 October 2017, 01:12:08 »
I've found myself contemplating a battle tactic that one way or the other is best described as pure madness.

Part of why I'm not so sure if it'll work the way I want is most of the rules seem predicated on the idea of a world with an atmosphere.

So I turn to my fellow forumites.  Just how close can you get to an airless rock with a warship?

I'm hoping the answer is close enough to worry about scratching the paint...

Frabby

• Major
Re: Just how close can a Warship get to an airless world?
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2017, 02:08:19 »
As long as there is no atmosphere to worry about (which would brake the WarShip down, and depending on its relative velocity can cause friction heat and even direct damage), the only important thing to keep in mind is the planet's gravity well. You need to either plot a slingshot course that will carry you past the surface, or otherwise you need enough thrust from your maneuvering drive to counter the planet's gravity. One BattleTech movement point for WarShips equals 0.5g thrust.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2017, 02:16:31 »
Planck distance?

As I recall, the Manassas was described as landing on an asteroid for repairs.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2017, 03:13:02 »
Planck distance?

As I recall, the Manassas was described as landing on an asteroid for repairs.

But an asteroid doesn´t have all that much gravity. Ceres is the biggest in the solar system, and it has a surface gravity of only 0.03g.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2017, 03:58:19 »
The Manassas reportedly landed on a planet to affect repairs - which is impossible given that WarShips aren't built for landing and don't have landing gear. The preferred interpretation is that the DropShips carried on the Manassas brought the crew planetside for comfort and for effecting repairs to what we must assume were individual parts that had been removed from the WarShip and carried to the surface on the DropShips for repairs.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2017, 06:19:10 »
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16481136/wpa2-wi-fi-krack-vulnerability

so, how many of us are drinking Irish coffee this morning?
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2017, 09:48:12 »
 Q: "Just how close can a Warship get to an airless world?"

A: A few tens of meters below the surface, depending on speed at impact.

In theory, one could come close enough to an airless world to scratch the paint, but the amount of structural stress that the maneuver puts on the ship may create a practical limit, depending on the strength of the gravitational field.  For a small moonlet, not a problem, and you can probably come close enough to reach out and touch the surface (if the pilot is REALLY good and you don't mind having your hand sheared off), but a higher gravity planet might break your ship apart, between the gravitational pull and inertia.

Then again, to pull the kinds of maneuvers that a warship does, the structural integrity has to be absurd, with anyone near the ends of the ship being crushed by the centrifugal forces as it spins in place.  The ship might survive the maneuver, even if the crew doesn't.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2017, 11:03:05 »
Hmmm well now that is interesting.

I was just planning slingshot tactics at first but the idea of actually using a low gravity airless rock to "bottom out" just might be useful in surprising a foe.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16481136/wpa2-wi-fi-krack-vulnerability

so, how many of us are drinking Irish coffee this morning?

Think you have the wrong thread. ;D

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2017, 15:25:38 »
A: A few tens of meters below the surface, depending on speed at impact.

:) I like that one.

I was just planning slingshot tactics at first but the idea of actually using a low gravity airless rock to "bottom out" just might be useful in surprising a foe.

WarShips can easily hover tail-first over a planet. Even a 2/3 WarShip can hover against 1.5Gs. Atmospheric entry does bad things to WarShips, but without an atmosphere there shouldn't be an issue until the drive plume starts to interact with the surface. You could try to model that on the drive plume damage that DropShips can do while on the ground.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2017, 15:52:24 »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2017, 18:19:30 »
I think that's supposed to be coming out of a nebula although I don't really understand why the sails are deployed considering how delicate they are supposed to be any WarShip should "stow the sails" before engaging the main drive
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 16 October 2017, 21:27:30 »
Hmmm well now that is interesting.

Think you have the wrong thread. ;D

Yes.  Yes I do.

Damn it.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2017, 08:46:22 »
Using a low gravity airless rock to "bottom out" your opponent would be a bigger surprise.

There's a novel, I believe by Larry Niven (and possibly another author), where a ship with an impenetrable hull makes a close pass by a black hole for research purposes.  The ship survives the encounter, but the crew and interior components are reduced to crushed debris at the extreme ends of the ship by some unknown "weapon" that does no damage to the hull.  Ultimately, the cause is gravity: the ends of the ship have enough of a gravitational difference from the center, due to distance to the singularity, to create several hundred "Gs" of difference.  Anything not in the exact center of the ship will fall to the ends and be crushed.

The gradient won't be even remotely as severe with a planet as in close proximity to the singularity at the center of a black hole, but in close proximity to a high-gravity planet, the difference between centrifugal force and inertia might still be enough to cause problems for the crew (lateral G forces, rather than along the axis as expected and designed for).
« Last Edit: 17 October 2017, 08:47:53 by Kovax »