Author Topic: Field Artillery Infantry - BA Tube Artillery - AKA Heavy Mortar Platoon  (Read 3094 times)

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
Terrace's thread "Infantry Support Options" on the Ground Combat board got me thinking again about an idea for BA Tube Artillery field artillery.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=59361.0

Tech Base (Rating): Inner Sphere (D/X-D-D)
Transport Weight: 29.5 tons
Equipment:
Primary Weapon: 20 Auto-Rifles
Secondary Weapon: 8 Intek Laser Rifles
Disposable Weapon: None
Armor: Standard Armor Kit
Battle Value: 133
Notes: 4 Heavy Mortars with 1 ton of ammunition each. Each weapon requires 5 soldiers to operate. Weapon Does Area Effect Damage. Not trained or equipped for Anti-’Mech or Swarming Attacks.   
Platoon Type (Specialty): Motorized, (Field Artillery)
Ground MP:  1
Terrain Restrictions: Water(Any)
Platoon Size (Squad/Platoon): 28 (7/4)
Damage Divisor: 1
To-Hit Modifier (Range in Hexes):
 -2 (0 Hexes), 0 (1-3 Hexes), 2 (4-6 Hexes), 4 (7-9 Hexes)
Maximum Weapon Damage (# of Troopers):
12 (28-27), 11 (26-25), 10 (24-23), 9 (22-20), 8 (19-18), 7 (17-16), 6 (15-13), 5 (12-11), 4 (10-9), 3 (8-6), 2 (5-4), 1 (3-2), 0 (1)
Cost (C-bills): 2,713,481

Adjusted Platoon Stats
Gunnery TN: 3
Anti-'Mech TN: -
Experience Rating: Veteran
Adjusted BV: 173

Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
While I love the Intek, I thought the mortars were the "secondary" weapons of the platoon...

Andras

• Lieutenant
While I love the Intek, I thought the mortars were the "secondary" weapons of the platoon...

He's using them as Field Guns.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Ah, right... thanks!

theagent

• Master Sergeant
He's using them as Field Guns.

(Sorry if it's a bit of a necro situation, but I've been thinking a lot about infantry units recently, so I felt the need to chime in.)

Not quite sure that this is the way to go at all on this subject.

Mortars (Light & Heavy) are found in Total Warfare (as an optional weapon for IS & Clan battle armor) & in TechManual (as an organic support weapon equipping the infantry platoon).

Field Artillery, OTOH, specifically says it has to be a single "Field Artillery" or "Artillery Cannon" weapon.  Neither of those types of weapons is even mentioned in TM -- in fact, artillery overall isn't introduced until TO to begin with -- so I'm going to have to go with, "it's just not happening".

Nor does it need to.  The Conventional Infantry Platoon construction rules in TM already allow you to create a Mortar Infantry Platoon (Foot, Motorized, Jump or Mechanized), with the choice of either 4 or 8 mortars in the platoon. 

If you're wanting a mortar unit that feels more like a "tube artillery" unit, you can just make a Field Gun Platoon, equipped with 4 of the 'Mech Mortar-4s from TacOps (7 tons each = 1 squad can handle a single MM/4), each one getting 1 ton (12 volleys) of ammo.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
'Mech mortars are an option but I want range.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!