Author Topic: Odd Flavor choices  (Read 6163 times)

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
Re: Odd Flavor choices
« Reply #30 on: 07 December 2017, 12:07:29 »
I don't think it'd be possible to get Rifleman type-firepower on a Quickdraw without SL tech at least.

Mind you the Quickdraw is pretty shocking to begin with.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #31 on: 07 December 2017, 13:19:22 »
That line has always boggled the heck out of me too.

I forget which one it is but I think there is a Clan fluff like that too where a really great mech is being replaced by a crappy one, but I don't recall what it was.

The Linebacker was supposed to replace the Timber Wolf. Not that the Timber Wolf needed replacing, or that the Linebacker was up to the task of filling the Timber Wolf´s shoes.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 07 December 2017, 13:40:52 »
I don't think it'd be possible to get Rifleman type-firepower on a Quickdraw without SL tech at least.

Or by changing the armor and engine.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 07 December 2017, 20:53:52 »

Yeah probably not but they could have gone with more LRMs for instance.  With more long ranged weaponry one could see it as being a rifleman replacement.

Of course go down that route enough and you essentially have  a 60 ton version of a catapult which while cool to me is not what the game designers probably need.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #34 on: 07 December 2017, 21:01:26 »
A non-jumping version of the Dervish might have fit too.  Twin LRM launchers will make do for AA work, and SRMs don't hurt either.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #35 on: 07 December 2017, 22:09:22 »
While we are on the topic of odd choices.

I came across this one just the other day on Sarna.

DRG-5Nr
A simple field refit used during the Jihad, this version mounts a C3 Slave unit in the torso and a second arm-mounted laser by removing the rear-firing model, while replacing the original autocannon with a Light Autocannon/5.[9] BV (2.0) = 1,277[10]
9. Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
10. Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 88

So I read this & I'm thinking. 
Okay, 3 tons freed up from the LAC.   1 Used on the C3.  No Rear Laser. 
We are up to D-Class from the C3 Slave, but still doable in a drop ship repair bay.

I'm wondering where the other 2 tons went, but figured its Armor or Heatsinks.

Then I look at the AS card on the MUL and see somethings that makes me go HUH ?

1.  CASE
2.  Rear (1/1/-)

Now, if its a Simple Field Refit. then why does it have CASE on it, which is clearly a Factory upgrade?
And if it removed the Rear Laser to put it in the Left Arm, then WHY does it still have a Rear special ability?

I'm not sure if Sarna isn't quoting the source properly or if the creator of the RS & the writer of the fluff just didn't bother to communicate, but clearly the description & the AS stats do not add up at all.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #36 on: 07 December 2017, 22:23:41 »
You've got to read the DRG-5N to understand it...

Grand Dragon is DRG-5K.

It uses: . The launcher is fed by a two-ton reload bin in the left torso protected by CASE. If an enemy 'Mech gets into close ranges, the Grand Dragon carries three Victory 23R Medium Lasers for defense, one in the left arm and two split between the rear-facing left and right torso

So the DRG-5Nr is an extension of the DRG-5K.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 07 December 2017, 22:26:40 »
Well I just fired up SSW and compared the 5N & the 5Nr.
The 5N has both side torsos CASEd already, so that's no change going to the 5Nr. It looks like added ammo for the LAC/5 and the rear Med Laser is kept in the 5Nr. There's also a added Med Laser on the Lt Arm.

AldanFerrox

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 07 December 2017, 23:09:03 »

The best Quickdraw in my opinion is the QKD-9M from the Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades.
It has two Large Lasers slaved to a Targeting Computer, a TAG, an LRM-15 with three tons of ammo in a CASE II protected bin and is powered by an XL engine. With SL tech you could have build a similiar mech but with a Guardian ECM, standard CASE and an Artemis IV FCS for the LRM launcher.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 23:17:58 by AldanFerrox »
Only in death duty ends

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 08 December 2017, 12:47:17 »
Well I just fired up SSW and compared the 5N & the 5Nr.
The 5N has both side torsos CASEd already, so that's no change going to the 5Nr. It looks like added ammo for the LAC/5 and the rear Med Laser is kept in the 5Nr. There's also a added Med Laser on the Lt Arm.

DOH, ok, that is my problem, for some reason I was thinking the 5N was the L1 model, the 1N.

Now I remember, the 5N is last "Dragon" made in the 40's pre-Grand Dragon conversion.

That one has CASE/Ultra IIRC.

Okay the conversion makes a bit more sense now at least.   /smacks forhead.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 08 December 2017, 12:48:48 »
So the DRG-5Nr is an extension of the DRG-5K.

I don't know about that.

Now that I'm thinking of the right mech, its clearly a Dragon.

There is no XL or ERPPC there that the Grand Dragon gets in 3050.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #41 on: 09 December 2017, 09:01:29 »
The 5N is the basis of the Grand Dragon, whereas the 1G is the basic Grand Dragon.

After 3040 the Grand Dragon made the Dragon obsolete. Both share the same production lines, but the GD used XL and.a energy primary over ballistic, otherwise there the same mech. In 3025 the 1G was a variant Drgon from there the modern for was made.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #42 on: 11 December 2017, 20:12:29 »
With the bumping of the Wyvern MotW article in Fan Articles, someone brought up the oddness of it being touted as a city fighter.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 11 December 2017, 20:34:50 »
 It is a descent city fighter.

Register