Author Topic: TRO Succession Wars ommissions  (Read 4938 times)

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
Re: TRO Succession Wars ommissions
« Reply #30 on: 04 December 2017, 18:10:45 »
tro 3039 had a lot of non mech units in it. TAnks and ASF fill a decent amount of that book.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #31 on: 04 December 2017, 18:42:33 »
for some of these notable abscences, I look at it this way.

imagine us getting a TRO: Clan Invasion with the likes of the Starslayer, Cestus, Striker and others.

as well as Nu Seens that would be avaliable after the resolution of certian matters in Catalysts favor....
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 04 December 2017, 23:09:35 »
I mean heck, look at the Phoenix writeup. "Produced only in the Rim Worlds Republic, the Phoenix was not used or salvaged by any other military. Reports from ComStar indicate that the Hanseatic League currently deploy several, though the source of these 'Mechs is unknown."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of it being used during the Succession Wars to any degree. There are probably more Imps and Annihilators each than there were Phoenixes.

It seems to be a pretty confused product, and I can't help but think of how confused new players would be when it comes to the fact that the "tone" of the book is set in very different eras depending on what Mech you choose.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: 04 December 2017, 23:27:35 »
Maybe we are overthinking it, as usual.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 04 December 2017, 23:34:25 »
I mean heck, look at the Phoenix writeup. "Produced only in the Rim Worlds Republic, the Phoenix was not used or salvaged by any other military. Reports from ComStar indicate that the Hanseatic League currently deploy several, though the source of these 'Mechs is unknown."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of it being used during the Succession Wars to any degree. There are probably more Imps and Annihilators each than there were Phoenixes.

It seems to be a pretty confused product, and I can't help but think of how confused new players would be when it comes to the fact that the "tone" of the book is set in very different eras depending on what Mech you choose.
Won't be happening, single unit type books don't sell well enough. We got TRO:SW specifically to support the BattleMech Manual (And I'm pretty sure those two books aren't limited to IntroTech), if a new player gets to the point where they're looking for more they should be pointed they should be pointed at Total Warfare and TRO:3050U.

And this brings something to mind: Will the new IntroBox include the BattleMech Manual as it's rules?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #35 on: 05 December 2017, 00:57:03 »

It's going to be especially confusing to new players given that it's got stuff written for multiple eras: the Talos from Reunification Wars era, 3039 for the 3025 mechs and King Crab, and Jihad era for everything else.  A new player is probably going to be a bit confused about why some mechs only make reference to 3035 while others talk about upgrades they received in the 3060s.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #36 on: 05 December 2017, 01:04:13 »
As I haven't a copy, yet - how are things broken down? Do they actually have Mechs by era, like with TR '39?

One of the things I've usually maintained is that it isn't difficult to allow players to play in any era with intro-tech designs. That should be a minor goal of the devs, which seems to be the case.

Shoot, some of the 'advanced tech' like ER beam weapons don't have any special rules to worry about, and can also be incorporated in boosting the introtech player's arsenal.

A lot of these mechs are still playable across all eras, though many of them might not be as competitive in some.

Maybe we are overthinking it, as usual.

I would normally disagree on that, but since the product is already out, it's really down to head-games.  ^-^
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 05 December 2017, 02:08:58 »
Forgot to include is earlier but are we sure that the Hanseatic League wasn't part of the Rim Worlds? The RWR is rather small on the map compared to the Great Houses and given the RWR history of setting up small colonies it wouldn't be surprising if the Hanseatic League wasn't one of these, if somewhat larger.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #38 on: 05 December 2017, 02:16:20 »
As I haven't a copy, yet - how are things broken down? Do they actually have Mechs by era, like with TR '39?

No.  Following the trend of books like TRO 3145 and 3150, mechs are organized only by tonnage and alphabetic by name.  There are no subsections.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman