Author Topic: Naval Tug for Clans?  (Read 1953 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Naval Tug for Clans?
« on: 22 December 2017, 17:04:12 »

With all the Warships that the Clans use I assume that they also have DropShips with naval tugs.
But which do they use? I guess the Model 96 "Elephant" (Standard), but the MUL doesn't agree.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Archangel

• Major
Re: Naval Tug for Clans?
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2018, 06:46:15 »
Don't get caught up in the believe that the MUL is the end all be all.  TPTB have previously stated that the MUL is merely a tool to help players create units/matches quickly and shouldn't be used to determine in-universe statistics.  Not to mention that the MUL is constantly evolving with corrections being made, new units being added, etc BUT there will always be plenty of variants, prototypes, etc that will never be added because they haven't (and likely will never) been fleshed out.  For example, several sources mentions that there are numerous variants of Unions but have never been fully (or even partially) fleshed out.

The SLDF likely brought several Model 96 tugs with them from the IS, the survivors of which were inherited by the Clans before they started building their own variants if not outright new designs that incorporated their own design philosophies.  For example, if their new tugs were considered non-combatants, they would likely have stripped most, if not all, the armaments from their Clan designs.

Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2018, 20:09:22 »
Tell that to the Snow Ravens!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2018, 20:46:13 »
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2018, 21:23:43 »
There's actually a reference to an elephant tug as part of the Wolf in exile fleet. It participated during the battle of Tharkad at the end of the Fedcom civil war (I believe towing the Blue Star Irregulars' warship out of harms way, but the book is out of my reach to confirm).
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2018, 07:21:54 »
There's actually a reference to an elephant tug as part of the Wolf in exile fleet. It participated during the battle of Tharkad at the end of the Fedcom civil war (I believe towing the Blue Star Irregulars' warship out of harms way, but the book is out of my reach to confirm).
They were well past the re-introduction date. It could been a purchase from the Inner Sphere.  If it was a Clan that was less of toe finger into the Inner Sphere or pre-dated the reintrodate, i'd be more incline to believe it was ship from the League era.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2018, 09:03:14 »
I'm pretty sure I've seen the Model 96 Elephant in at least one Snow Raven RAT. From either FM: 3085 or FM: 3145.