Author Topic: It Looks Better Painted - Star Wars edition  (Read 1746 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
It Looks Better Painted - Star Wars edition
« on: 20 February 2018, 15:44:41 »
So, like Star Trek models and minis, I have loads of Star Wars stuff that I've painted and/or modded/bashed.

I have a lot that I eventually wanted to put up, but it will be something I take my time with, because it takes time to edit photos of close-up runway shots on some of the smaller stuff.

But, since I was having fun with Infantry this week, I wanted to share the Falcon Crew that I bashed out of MW:DA figures - Han and Chewie.

They're a little big for the Fantasy Flight X-Wing Falcon, but fit well enough to satisfy me. I know I've showcased them as onlookers for some of my other photos, and I bet some of you were curious.

Anyway, I invite you to share your own painted reworks of Star Wars stuff. I have some Armada figures that were definitely in need of some paint, as well as some attempts at 1/500 scale figures to go with the first run of very big ships from Fantasy Flight's X-Wing game. So, there are things worth painting.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
Re: It Looks Better Painted - Star Wars edition
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2018, 17:06:11 »
So, one of the things out of Fantasy Flight's series of games that does need paint is all the Armada Fighter and support squadron stuff.

A refresher the core game comes with 4 X-Wing Squadrons and 6 TIE Squadrons in addition to the CR-90, Nebulon, and Victory Star Destroyer.

The squadron figures come in a mere plastic color, Gunmetal for Imperials and cream white for Rebels.

There's enough detail on them that they're worth painting up.

I apologize for the pics, but lighting can be hard to get right with white and gray figurines. This is not the flash, and I even had something of a filter/block up, too.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2018, 17:08:50 »
Of course, there are a bunch of extra squadron options, a few of which I've picked up and started painting, too.

The Imperials have a range of other TIE fighters, which I haven't quite finished yet because of another project, as well as shuttles and a few other support craft, which I'm still in the middle of working on.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2018, 17:12:00 »
And, of course, the Rebels have their share of fighters, and I also have picked up the pack of freelancers that go by the titles of bounty hunters and smugglers (Rogues and Villians).

I've started on the famous ships, and will work my way through the others soon.

Being as small as they are, they're easy to paint except for some details. I'll have to play around with red stripes for Dengar's Punishing one, which will be fun.

Obviously, more to come on this front.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2018, 17:15:39 »
One of the odd little side projects I've been working on is stuff at 1/500 scale. I started this because Jovian Chronicles, and arguably Heavy Gear Fleet Scale gears are close to this, along with a lot of other stuff.

FFG's CR-90 for X-Wing is actually to this scale, and one of my projects was to come up with as many 1/500 ish ships to work with it on the table.

I've included some familiar faces - a BattleForce scale Mad Cat and kitbashed Warhammer - for a rough idea of size.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2018, 17:28:44 »
The TIE Figher line I had to come up with some way to make the Solar arrays look slim, like they are, and I found printing them out with Word, after resizing them, gluing them to thin plastic, like the transparent package coverings of X-Wing fighters, and gluing them to a tweaked core from the Star Wars Risk did the trick.

Saved me a lot of hassle having to hand paint all the solar array details, too. ;)

The Interceptor was a little trickier, since I had to cut that to shape.

I only need 3 more ties to run a full, bare-bones Imperial force of Academy and Obsidian pilots.

If I feel ambitious, I may doe a few more up in the gray for Black Squadron, but I'm not feeling the pressure for that.

4 more interceptors and I can run the cheepest Interceptor force available.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2018, 17:30:27 »
The Tie Bomber is from the older Star Wars BattleShip. I got a very incomplete copy from a friend. It had a lot of the pieces I was looking for, including two bombers. In X-Wing, with all the ordinance they carry, two is all I'll ever really field.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2018, 17:34:28 »
The X-Wings are a neat little kitbash from those funky little opening cube 'games' you could find at Target.

Cutting off the cartoony guns and gluing on some of those plastic tag lines from clothes, which I had lots of, with a little creative application of glue near the end, and you get this.

Say hello to Rainbow Squadron.  #P

The Green X-Wing is how I imagined CorSec X-Wings are painted up. I actually wanted this to be the squadron leader, and had originally considered a Blue or Red version of this scheme.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2018, 17:38:15 »
The others are takes on the standard Red Squadron piping we're familiar with. I've read of a Gold Squadron in one of the Legends novels that was an X-Wing squadron. Brown is a derivative of red. And, Blue Squadron was a thing at one point, too.

I have a few other odds and ends you may have picked out from the shelf shot. When I have them in a workable state, I'll post picks.

Again, feel free to share any of your own Star Wars paint-ups and bashes here, too.