Author Topic: Steve's Dedicated Server Thread  (Read 152546 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Steve's Dedicated Server Thread
« Reply #30 on: 01 June 2011, 13:50:00 »
I have a provisional 35.23 server up, on 2349 but I haven't had time to do any preset-rules or maps on the instance. I'm still using 35.22 myself.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

RogueK

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 05 June 2011, 14:36:13 »
I have a provisional 35.23 server up, on 2349 but I haven't had time to do any preset-rules or maps on the instance. I'm still using 35.22 myself.

Thanks. Main draw of this version is the easier to use map setup (Tells you whether it's got maps in that on file or not) and most especially TRO 3085 units

BTW: The port 2346 seems to be malfunctioning at this time

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 07 June 2011, 21:41:12 »
Reset on 2346.

I'm thinking of redoing how I do my personal Megamek Package, but I have a dilemma.

the devs have seen fit to rename files to match the MUL, and for some reason the powers that be chose to name the MUL by IS Reporting Names for Clan Mechs. But all my customs are from the days when MM used the clan names for these mechs.

As far as my customs go, I seem to have 4 options:

1) stop using customs (unlikely)
2) rename all customs to match new naming scheme
3) copy all stock designs into my custom mechfiles zip, renaming them to match the proper names.
4) keep doing what I'm doing, which is just leaving things disorganized and entering mechset.txt info for the old names.

I'm also thinking of simplifying how I do my camos.

For camo files, you have to have the camo in the same place, on all clients. so if everyone has the same .zip full of camos, everyone sees it, or if everyone has the camos loose and uncompressed, everyone sees it. But, currently I have BOTH, for max compatability. I'm thinking of going with just one thing.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 11 June 2011, 16:53:39 »
Thank you very much for these servers!  It helps my group and I play where we otherwise have lots of connection issues.

If we leave a game that wasn't completely finished, is the '/reset' command all we need to do to clear the board? I wasn't sure how to end a game that didn't actually meet the victory conditions.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 12 June 2011, 14:54:44 »
Yeah, /reset will clear the board and bring you back to the lobby.

if you ever come to the server and there's an abandoned game there, if you save it as User_User_mmddyy.sav or some other easily identified format before you /reset it, it can then be reloaded if the owners ever want to come back for it.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 26 June 2011, 16:13:05 »
Updated, replacing 35.19 and 35.21 with two 35.24 instances.

NuclearBuddha

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 29 June 2011, 02:33:34 »
I used this server to introduce some rookies.  Thanks a million!

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 29 June 2011, 03:09:29 »
Many thanks for the server.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 29 June 2011, 21:18:35 »
Always glad to see its getting use :D

Got an additional connection today, so we've got some redundancy available too now. :)

Isaac Cameron-Wolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 11 July 2011, 16:06:59 »
Heys guys, hoping someone can hlp me here. I recently re-DLd MM and my friend did the same. We want to connect with each other to play but we cant seem to connect. I forgot what im suppose to enter? Is he suppose to enter 127.0.0.1 or my IP machine addy? He is connecting through "Connect to a game"

35.24/2347
« Last Edit: 11 July 2011, 17:24:21 by Isaac Cameron-Wolf »

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 11 July 2011, 22:38:35 »
To connect to my dedicated server, enter 'mechadynamics.net' for the server and consult the first post of this thread for the port I'm running the version you want to connect to.

To connect to a server you're running, he would enter your internet ip address. if the ip looks something like 192.168.x.x, 10.0.x.x or 172.16.0.x  then thats your internal IP address, and you'll have to find your external IP, and forward the port you're running MM on, to your internal IP, in your router's control panel

Isaac Cameron-Wolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 11 July 2011, 22:44:56 »
K, this is much better info then i got... how would i go about finding the external IP? And when i port forward, do i use the external ip?

slickam

• Private
« Reply #42 on: 12 July 2011, 00:15:59 »
The easiest way to find your external IP would be to go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ which will show it at the top of the page.

For port forwarding, you will need to forward the port to your internal IP (the one that looks like 192.168.x.x, 10.0.x.x or 172.16.0.x).  http://portforward.com/ has guides that show how to set up port forwarding on a lot of different routers.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 12 July 2011, 01:48:48 »
I go to whatismyip.com if I need to know what my external IP is. You'll need to provide this to your friend

to find your internal IP, hold the windows key and press R.  type 'cmd' into the box that pops up, hit ok.

To forward a port, you need to tell the router what port, and what the internal address of the computer that it should send traffic on that port to, is. The method of doing this varies by model of router.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #44 on: 30 July 2011, 21:06:15 »
If it makes you feel any better, Chanman and I usually wind up using one at least once a week.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 31 July 2011, 16:16:46 »
always glad to hear it :D

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 16 August 2011, 15:33:17 »
Servers moved to a new IP for the  next week or so, while my roof is replaced. "mechadynamics.net" should still point there

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #47 on: 17 August 2011, 12:25:08 »
I hope this isn't too much of a numbskull question, but when using the public server (thanks for the service!) how do you make sure you're playing against your friend? I didn't see any way to set up a game password, or to invite someone to a specific game.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 17 August 2011, 15:21:09 »
Well, my servers are *JUST* dedicated server instances for vanilla megamek. You and your friend would arrange the game outside of megamek, and plan on meeting on a given port. my servers are open, first-come-first-serve, akin to the tennis courts at a park. if somebody's already using one, you can try another, or wait till one opens up. If all five or six that i have running are full, let me know. if it happens repeatedly, I may open more up. If the game appears to be abandoned, and no one is actually connected, /save the game in the format "player1_player2_mmddyy.sav" in case they want to reload it later, and you can use /reset to clear the abandoned game.

There's no matchmaking or inviting system, and no passwords on my dedicated servers.

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #49 on: 18 August 2011, 10:22:29 »
Ah, thanks! Glad I wasn't just being oblivious :)

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 18 August 2011, 21:57:25 »
No problem! I've tried to get people to gather in a chatroom for arranging battles before, but megamek players seem to have an aversion to IRC or something...

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #51 on: 09 November 2011, 03:13:09 »
Have you implemented a server for version 35.25 yet? Just curious.

Thanks again for making your server available.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 10 November 2011, 00:35:16 »
same question but for .34.9?
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Caturix

• Sergeant
  • Ex Astris, Scientia.
« Reply #53 on: 10 November 2011, 14:41:39 »
same question but for .34.9?

If you read the very first post, you'll see there's a server for 34.9 ;) ...
"The Mechwarrior formerly known as Stenka"

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 10 November 2011, 15:19:22 »
but that would have prevented embaresing myself and looking like an idiot. I couldn't possibley do that.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #55 on: 16 November 2011, 23:18:17 »
Thanks for having the server up.  Got to try the game vs. a human tonight!

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 05 December 2011, 21:24:33 »
35.26 is now up and running on 2346

35.24 is still running on 2347 and 2348

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 10 December 2011, 15:57:15 »
at Moonsword's Request a 35.25 server has been added on 2349

Katana

• Recruit
« Reply #58 on: 06 January 2012, 14:02:56 »
uhmmmmm......ok I know I haven't used MegaMek in quite a while but just tried to log in to Steve's Mechdynamics.net server with MM 34.9 and couldn't get in.  Error message kept popping up!  Is there an updated list of servers cause the last one I see on here is from January of last year.  Thanx!

-Katana

P.S.  Also just tried to connect using 35.26 on the server you posted for it.  Got the same message.  WTF?
« Last Edit: 06 January 2012, 14:09:19 by Katana »
Inspiration is merely the cessation of stupidity.

I am the wrathful Lord of War and God of Combat and I shall always lead from the front, never the rear.

-Dick Marcinko

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #59 on: 06 January 2012, 18:02:19 »
As a general tech support rule, when you're reporting an error message, try to report what the error message was.  You didn't actually say what it was at any point.

On checking myself using 35.26 to connect to port 2346, I get this error: "Error: could not connect to server mechadynamics.net:2346."