Author Topic: The Silver Eagles  (Read 40174 times)

Fallguy

• Corporal
  • The FWL: Who says Civil War can't be fun?
The Silver Eagles
« on: 01 February 2011, 13:24:04 »
Well, don't it just figure. I step away from the forum for a few days and some blue marsupial gnaws on the wires so much the board dies... again... for the fourth time...  [##]

So for the moment I will only say Welcome back to the fourth iteration of The Silver Eagles thread! I'm in the process of compiling the Silver Eagles updates into a semi-coherant document that will chronicle their story up through the Jihad. (including finishing the story arc I left hanging...  :-[ ) Until I do though, here is where all fans of the Silver Eagles can post about their thoughts, feelings, and general grumblyness about having to wait so long for me to finish the flipping story. :P

Anyway, welcome back all!

Edit: Here's a link to the archive forum of the thread.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2011, 18:33:22 by Fallguy »
--
"Luke, you're goint to find that many of the truthes we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
Obi-Wan Kenobi

McKenna

• Sergeant
Re: The Silver Eagles
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2011, 13:33:41 »
I'd say get crackin, but I know how pressed for time you've been.  8)

Hey Folks, thanks for being so patient with us. The Eagles still live.  [rockon]

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2011, 03:06:22 »
Oh well we are used to waiting patiently, and knowing how RL can be worse than having your ankles gnawed by a Blue Marsupial. ::)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Taber

• Recruit
  • Scout-Sniper. Recon Team Leader
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2011, 05:38:15 »
  This bit of news just truly makes my morning.

Reputation is what others know about you.  Honor is what you know about yourself.  Live by Honor.  Let reputation fall where it may.  And outlive the bastards.  Lord Admiral Aral VorKosigan.  (by Lois McMasters Bujold)
KE7ZXG-Amateur (HAM) Radio Operator

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2011, 10:50:10 »
Yay Silver Eagles!
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2011, 15:00:50 »
Damm I missed the Silver Eagles
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

tenpence

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2012, 12:50:52 »
would it be mean to say get Kracken?

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2012, 13:15:14 »
Ah, yes, the Silver Eagles. One of my favorites.

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2012, 22:32:15 »
Hmmm I wonder if my Jumpship Commander survived the last mess the Eagles got into. Nice to see the Eagles are still kicking. :)
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

tenpence

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2012, 22:55:05 »
are the Eagles still kicking?

Fallguy

• Corporal
  • The FWL: Who says Civil War can't be fun?
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2012, 05:19:04 »
are the Eagles still kicking?

Put simply, no.  :'(

In more detail, life got really busy. So busy in fact that we haven't played a single game of BT in over a year. But hey, we own our own house and a new car now, plus we got to go on vacation to Disneyland last month, so the sacrifice was worth it. (IMHO)

As for the Silver Eagles and writing up the last of their adventures, I have no idea when there will be time for that. I really miss playing and writing up the stories, but family and bills have to come first.

On the plus side, I can now let you all know that one of the reasons I was so busy for a while was due to my work with Cray on the Star System generation rules to be published in the upcoming Interstellar Ops! ::insert plug here:: I am SO excited that something I worked on is becoming canon rules for the game that I've played since High School! Even though all I did was come up with the data and formulas while Cray made it all make sense, it's a true honor that my work was deemed good enough for print!

Hmmm I wonder if my Jumpship Commander survived the last mess the Eagles got into.

At last game, Lt. Cmdr. Wingate was still alive and doing well, but before the story ends over 260 Silver Eagles Personnel will be dead, (nearly a 34% fatality rate) including several prominent characters.

War is hell and Mercs die. It's glorious and exciting and lucrative...

...but it's not for the timid.  #P
--
"Luke, you're goint to find that many of the truthes we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
Obi-Wan Kenobi

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2013, 17:29:46 »
Bah! I will not be daunted... *ahem!*

Sorry for the long delay folks. It has been a very busy year. Roberta started a new job at the beginning of  the year that keeps her pretty busy. I will see what I can do in her stead to get an update written up. I currently have the freer time right now.  ;) ;D

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2013, 23:48:43 »
They live. Looking forward paitently for a current update.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2014, 15:22:54 »
Ok, so writing the write ups has been pushed around by real life time and again. *sigh* But when you're down to only one car for several months and work jacks your scheduls all around, you get kind of discouraged. I'm going to go back through where we left of in the updates this week and have something up by the weekend, even if its only a couple of paragraphs. I know Roberta had plans for an update and so I need to discuss with her exactly what we're putting up, but you will have at least a little of it on Friday.

Many apologies to our loyal fans for the delays.  :-[ [metalhealth]

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2014, 11:52:51 »
 Looking forward to it!

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2014, 17:23:09 »
Argh! One more exciting visit from good old Murphy's law.  >:( Had to have surgery at the end of May but all is well and I have found the majority of the back mission stories to work forward from. Yay!  :D

So, before I jump back in with a where we left off, I'm going to ask. Do you want a brief back up and run down from start to finish, since the board crash wiped it all out? I can do that to get y'all back up to speed and then get the ball moving forwards again. Let me know so I can jump in with my eyes closed and muck about.  ;)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2014, 17:29:06 »
Yes, bringing us back up to speed would be nice.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2014, 18:04:23 »
Here is installment numero uno.

To quote Fallguy:

Ok, for those that don't know but want to...

The Silver Eagles are a Mercenary Company formed by Major Kevin Charles Silver and Captain Erin McKenna. (McKenna is the same McKenna that posts here and is my wife) Kevin Silver is the unit CO and McKenna is the XO. They formed in the chaos of Operation Scorpion on the planet Irian in the Free World's League. Major Silver is of noble birth, the youngest son of Duke Charles Silver, Duke of Negushevo in the Rim Commonality. McKenna is officially from the world of Marik, but a few people know that she is actually Subcommander Erin Fitzpatrick, formerly of the CCAF. She abandoned her post on Eom in 3052 following an incident involving "suppression of rebellion" taking her SHD-2H Shadow Hawk with her.

When Operation Scorpion began, McKenna and Silver were both on Irian... McKenna making her way across FWL space to the Lyran half of the FedCom with her Shadow Hawk, and Silver on his way home to Negushevo with his heirloom Warhammer. When Scorpion kicked off, the ComStar forces tried to secure the 13th Marik Militia's base. Silver and McKenna managed to aid the 13th long enough to secure their base against ComStar. Managing to secure passage aboard a Leopard Class Dropship for their 'Mechs, 2 salvaged ComStar 'Mechs, themselves, and 1 pilot, a friend of Major Silver's named Joe Faller, call sign "Fallguy" (yes, that's where I got my name here... the players all say I role-play Joe as though he were me and call him my honorary PC... but he's really just another NPC) formerly of the 13th Marik Militia, they make their way to Outreach.

Once there, they traded the salvage of a CRB-27 Crab for a customized Wolverine and hired a tech by the name of Sven Iverson to fix up their salvaged STN-3L Sentinel. Joe was assigned the STN-3L, so they needed a pilot for the Wolverine. They found him cooking in a Japanese restaurant. His name is Benjamin Scott... call sign "Hot Shot". He was a young little glory-hound just itching to get into a Wolverine. Next they hired a Corsair pilot named Jan Hernandez, call sign "Thunder" and a Phoenix Hawk LAM pilot by the name of Ian Amdecker, call sign "Zero" to fill the Leopard out and give them some tactical flexibility. Thus prepared, they headed off to the Clan front for some action.

Their first combat was against the Jade Falcons. Hired by the AFFC to aid another Merc unit in a cross-border raid on La Grave, the Silver Eagles were tasked with taking out the transformers of a power plant that fed power to the 2nd Talon PGC's HQ, disrupting them long enough for the main force to grab some equipment and run. The Eagles prevail against the Clan Star sent against them. One of the Falcons in a Summoner was a Warden by the name of Josepho. He squared off against Silver in a dual. (the Eagles had asked for and been granted Safcon and maintained Zelbrigen throughout the fight) When Silver downed the Clan 'Mech, he took the pilot as a bondsman. (he himself had been briefly taken as a Ghost Bear bondsman a year earlier) They escape La Grave, and head back to Tomans for another mission.

Fast forward about a year and the Silver Eagles are just finishing up a mission against a Pirate band operating near Main Street. By now they've garnered a lot of Clan salvage and have moved up into a Union. They operate their own Scout Class Jumpship, and have an ironclad contract with the Dropship owner/operator, one Darious Fridrich. They now have 14 'Mechs and 2 ASFs, a lot of them are Clan 'Mechs and the new ASF is a captured Visigoth. They've also added another Phoenix Hawk LAM to their unit, owned by an ex-ComGuard pilot named Randall Thorpe, call sign "NightHawk". (known to these boards as NightHawk713X) They have many new Mechwarriors and have seen more than their share of success. They've also made a few enemies... most notably WOB. They feel they've earned a break and head off to allow Major Silver to go home and introduce Jan Hernandez to his father... as his fiancée. On the way, Joe Faller finally has earned enough to buy his own 'Mech. He orders a Zeus from Defiance Industries and they pick it up there on their way to Negushevo. They stop by Outreach to pick up 2 new Mechwarriors as they lost 2 after their last mission. Then it's off to Negushevo.

Almost there, the Silver Eagles materialize over Clipperton on the 7th of November, 3053 only to find that they have been expected. There is a Capellan Jumpship and Leopard Dropship waiting for them and ordering them to turn Erin Fitzpatrick over to them for desertion and theft of State property. Naturally the Eagles decline. Just then, a Tramp Class Jumpship materializes. They announce to the Silver Eagles that they are to surrender themselves and their equipment "...in the name of the Blessed Blake." The WOB have a Union, a Leopard CV, and a Gazelle attached to the Tramp, making the odds severely in their favor. WOB also orders the Eagles to turn McKenna over to the Capellans, so it seems the two are working together on this. The Eagles decide to burn for the planet, rather then take their chances in a space battle they'll likely lose.

Once on the planet, the Ace of Spades, their Union Dropship, burns away to stay safe until their Scout Jumpship can finish charging. (the Capellans and WOB threatened to destroy it, but they appear to have been bluffing as the Scout was left unmolested... not even WOB are that dumb) The Eagles dropped into the edge of a dying hurricane, so Air power is pretty much out. They watch as more than a dozen 'Mechs drop into a position 2 miles to the east of their position. Bracing for an assault, the Eagles take up a defensive position at the base of a hill. Soon, they're taking Arrow IV fire and the CO calls for a charge into the enemy position. They are having trouble finding them, so the Eagles turn on ECCM. No help. The Eagles finally make contact in the form of an all-out assault by WOB and Capellan 'Mechs, vehicles, and infantry. The Eagles make a good showing, but are close to loosing several of their best 'Mechs. Suddenly, the enemy forces disengage and pull out... fast... with no reason.

Heading off to lick their wounds and count their blessings, they camp out the night and fix what they can. One of their LAMs took enough damage to render it incapable of flight. The other is flight capable, but their rendezvous with the Ace of Spades isn't for 4 days. The next morning, one of their perimeter guards shouts a warning before being suddenly cut off. Within a few minutes, the bulk of the Eagle's 'Mechs are searching the forest to find their lost units. What they find are about 15 platoons of infantry... about the time a lot of command detonated EMP mines go off under their feet. They've been captured.

But not by WOB or the Capellans... it's the 1st Regulan Hussars 3rd Battalion. They had attacked the WOB Dropships to make them pull out when fighting the Eagles the day before. They're led off to a hidden base of operations where they meet up with the Hussar's CO who informs them that the WOB Dropships are burning for their jump point, but that an entire Level III is jumping in from Gibson to "take care of things." Once they arrive in 14 days, the Hussars will be exposed as having gone against the Captain General and be slaughtered. The Hussars need a way to get off planet and fast.

The Hussars CO tells them that they have a Jumpship from the 2nd Hussars waiting only a jump away, but they aren't due for another 20 days. Too late. They need to call them up and bring them in sooner, but the HPG is controlled by WOB and the Hussars can't afford to be caught. So the Eagles devise a plan to capture the HPG and get the message off themselves. The HPG is well defended, but the Eagles feel confident they can pull it off.

The Eagles attack the HPG with a fury, but the defenders give back, and hard. One minute into the battle, the Capellans show back up, seeking to take their errant Mechwarrior at any cost. After 2 minutes of fighting, the Eagles have secured the HPG, but at grievous costs.

Of the thirteen 'Mechs they brought into the battle (leaving the ground-bound LAM at the Hussar's base) they are down to six functional 'Mechs. Four 'Mechs have been totally destroyed, including the CO's heirloom Warhammer, Hermes. Three of the six 'Mechs are barely operational, the Wolverine with nothing left but a Clan Medium Pulse laser mounted in it's head, having had both torso's blown off. Of the seven downed 'Mechs, four are destroyed... having no CT structure left to fix. The other three can be fixed, but will need major repair work. On pilot was killed when his 'Mech's head was struck by an ER PPC blast from one of the Long Range Defense Turrets.

The worst part is that the Capellans only left 2 'Mechs salvageable on the field, a THR-1X Thunder (experimental design at this point) and a STC-2D Striker. That's all they get for salvage. All the rest fled or were total write-offs. (ammo explosions w/o CASE)

They secured the area and entered the HPG building with 8 platoons of local militia backing them up. (these were known dissenters and had nothing to lose) They split up, one group going up to the control center with 6 platoons of infantry in support, 2 platoons staying to secure the entrance, and the PC's group going down to the fusion power center on sublevel 5 to secure it. When they got there, a platoon of WOB laser infantry was waiting for them. But you'd be surprised what two Man-Pack PPCs can do when applied properly! They managed to get all the infantry with only moderate damage to the fusion generator's coolant systems. (it was close though... much more damage and the reactor may have been forced to shut down, leaving the HPG without power to run)

The game ended last week with a shouted warning of people coming down the stairwell...

Current Silver Eagles 'Mech Roster

Command Lance
Pilot (Skill)       'Mech               Status
Major Silver (V)    WHM-7M Warhammer    CT Destruction; Dual Torso Destruction
Lt.SG Sanderson   (R) RFL-5D Rifleman CT Destruction; Left Torso Destroyed
Lt. Josepho (CR)    Timberwolf          CT Destruction; Right Torso and Arm Destroyed
Lt. Young (R) KIA   Timberwolf          Head Destruction; Right Torso Destroyed
Lt. Kirkpatrick   (R) Summoner        Operational; Mild Armor Damage

Fire Lance
Captain McKenna   (V) Hellbringer     Dual Torso Destruction; Engine Out; Both Arms Destroyed
Lt.SG Faller (R)    ZEU-9S Zeus         Operational; Mild Internal Damage
Lt. Solovitch (R)   Executioner         CT Destruction; Left Torso and Right Arm Destroyed*
Lt. Jones (R)       MAD-5D Marauder     Torso Side Destruction; Engine Out - Gyro Out; Right Leg and Arm Destroyed
Lt. Windsor (V)     Rifleman IIC        CT Destruction; Right Torso and Leg Destroyed

Recon Lance
Lt.SG Thorpe (R)    PHX-HK2 P-Hawk LAM  Operational; Heavy Armor Damage - Flight Incapable
Lt. Amdecker (V)    PHX-HK2 P-Hawk LAM  Operational; Locked in AirMech mode; Heavy Armor Damage - Flight Incapable
Lt. Scott (R)       WVR-C Wolverine     Operational; Dual Torso Destruction; Severe CT damage
Lt. Yar (R)         Stormcrow           Operational; Heavy Engine Damage; Mild Armor Damage
--
V: Veteran
R: Regular
CR: Clan Regular
*salvaged parts can be used on a spare frame in storage to effectively rebuild the unit

So, as it sits, the Silver Eagles are down to only 3 fully functional 'Mechs. Once they can effect repairs they'll still be down four 'Mechs in Command Lance and two 'Mechs in Fire Lance. The two Timberwolfs are un-repairable because they are both missing their Right Torsos, so about all they're good for now is for sale to someone interested in the tech. The CO's heirloom 'Mech is the deepest cut of all. It was passed down in his family for the last 6 generations. It had been upgraded with newer tech, but now it's junk... all three torsos are trashed. All that's left are it's legs and head, the arms having been replaced a year earlier with arms from a Summoner after they were destroyed.

That leaves them with 8 operational 'Mechs after repairs and only 2 salvageable 'Mechs left by the Capellans. Things look mighty grim for the Silver Eagles... but fate may yet smile on them...

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 19 June 2014, 18:58:42 »
And more...

Ok... when we last left off, the Eagles were on Sublevel 5 of the HPG, the fusion power generator room, having secured it from a platoon of WOB infantry. Lt. Solovitch shouted a warning that there were a large number of people coming down the stairs. The Eagles now have to set up in defensive positions and try to hold what they just took. Waiting for any sign of  hostiles, they watch for who is coming. The first thing anyone sees is a small grenade tumbling out of the doorway. It goes off with a POOF! It was a smoke grenade. They wait and watch, several members using IR goggles to see through the smoke. (it wasn't hot smoke to obscure IR) Four WOB infantrymen come marching down the stairs into the room.

The Eagles open up and waste them in the first volly of fire. More WOB infantry start pouring through the door, but Captain McKenna and Lt. Faller are making good use of their Man-Pack PPCs. Those not cut down are caught by another member of the Eagles. One group of four managed to get into the room avoiding the PPC fire, so Major Silver tossed a microgrenade at their feet. BOOM! Scratch another Wobblie...

Then a large object comes tumbling down the stairs into the room... it's a maxigrenade. Everyone dives for cover as it goes off, and 8 WOB infantry storm in and secure a foothold at the door. Lt. Faller takes a laser rifle to the chest, but the armored vest he was wearing makes it survivable. Then Lt. Thorpe opens up with his Mauser's auto grenade launcher, spraying the WOBs with high explosives. That breaks up their little party really quick. After a moment, they realize that no one else is coming down the stairs. Doing a quick count, they account for 20 infantry... that leaves 8 unaccounted for. They sit and wait... then Captain McKenna hears a noise from the ceiling...

The WOB are trying to bust down through the ceiling through the main coolant veins. If they break the veins, the reactor will shut down, thus depriving the Eagles of the use of the HPG. They make their way toward the stairwell, as a powered armor fist crashes through the ceiling... The WOB have a BattleArmor suit... well, at least one... and there's still 8 infantry unaccounted for...

Stay tuned...

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 19 June 2014, 19:27:11 »
and still more... (last fer t'day tho. Ah dinnae want tae spam the boards wi' more  ;) )

Ok, well the Eagles were in the stairwell with a BattleArmor suit somewhere down the hall. They slowly move into the hall and take up positions next to a set of doors on either side of the hall. The level is mostly storerooms for maintenance tools and parts for the fusion reactor. They wait. Suddenly, three WOB infantry swing into the hallway. They are cut down in a hail of fire. The sound of the BA ripping up the floor stops and again, they wait. Then it happens. The BA suit comes into view in the hallway. The Eagles open up with a pair of portable SRM launchers, the Man-pack PPCs, and a hail of small arms fire and grenades. The overwhelming force thrown at him blows the armored infantryman back. The other 5 missing WOB infantry sweep into the hallway as well. As the Eagles continue to pour fire down the hall, McKenna shoots wide at one of the infantryman, striking the doorway they come from and shredding the support wall.

Now I didn't mention this, but I was tracking all the damage they were throwing down the hall. (exploding grenades, SRMs, and PPC fire tend to do a lot of collateral damage) When McKenna's PPC shot hit the support wall, that was enough to put it over the threshold. The ceiling started to collapse over the downed BA suit and the remaining WOB infantryman. Lieutenants' Faller, Sanderson, Josepho, and Solovitch dive into the door on their left while Lt. Jones and Lt. Windsor dive into the door on the right. Major Silver, Cap. McKenna, and Lt. Thorpe all head back out of the hall into the stairwell and slam the door shut as the ceiling collapses behind them. The door is jammed shut and they have 6 men trapped behind it. Worse yet, the lights are flickering and it looks like the power systems were damaged.

They go up to sublevel 3 and try the door. It's jammed shut too. Just then they hear hurried footsteps coming down the stairs. Quickly, Major Silver calls up the Hussar's CO. They haven't sent anyone. Waiting for whoever is about to come down, the footsteps suddenly stop. Lt. Thorpe hears that they are slowly coming down the next flight. Thinking quickly, he tries to remember some of his old ComStar infantry training. Clearing his throat, he calls out to the incoming soldiers to identify themselves, as he put it, "in the name of the Blessed Blake." The soldiers call back down the all clear above and start around the corner at general ease. Unfortunately, Lt. Thorpe fell too in step with his old training and lets his guard up as they called "Clear above." When they rounded the corner, they quickly realized they'd been tricked, one of the two snapping off a shot that strikes Major Silver, wounding him.

McKenna, not wanting a repeat of the collapsed ceiling, drops her PPC and starts running up the stairs. Lt. Thorpe narrowly sidesteps a shot from the second Wobbie, while Major Silver snaps a shot at the man that shot him. Neatly tucking and rolling out of the line of fire, the WOB infantryman comes out of his roll, only to be cut in half from a burst of laser fire from Major Silver's Pulse Laser Pistol. McKenna reaches the second Wobbie, having donned a pair of combat claws she is trained to use. He tries to shoot her, but she rakes him up one side, into his jugular, killing him almost instantly.

Meanwhile, Lt. Jones finds a cutting torch in the storeroom he's now trapped in and cuts the door apart to get it open. Just as he's looking out into the ruined remains of the hallway, he hears muffled voices from across the hall. One very distinct phrase he hears sounds like, "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" Quickly grabbing Lt. Windsor and diving to the side, he kicks the door shut as the door across the hall explodes in a shower of debris, knocking the door open again. Getting back up and looking across the hall, he sees Lt. Faller rising from a kneeling position with the Man-Pack PPC through a good-sized hole in the door. They move out into the remains of the hallway and look to see the 4th sublevel door completely blocked. There are steam vents rising up through holes throughout the remains of the hall's floor, letting them look down into the reactor room below. The damage is severe. Lt. Jones sees that the ceiling is completely collapsed, all the way to the base of the 3rd sublevel door, which is visible from their position. They start making their way toward the stairwell.

Major Silver tells Lt. Thorpe to go down and check the reactor while McKenna treats his wounds. Making his way down to the 5th sublevel, he sees the entrance is almost totally blocked by fallen debris. There is also steam venting over the entire area. Still in his Mechwarrior Combat suit, he squeezes his way past the venting and around the debris. Looking at the coolant system in the ceiling, he sees that massive damage has been done and coolant is venting fast. Making his way carefully through the room, he hears noises from above. It's the 6 trapped warriors. Handing them up his 2 grapple rods through a hole in the ceiling, he continues back to the reactor to check it's status.

The trapped warriors use the grapples to rappel up to the 3rd sublevel door, opening it and swinging into the hall as Major Silver and McKenna are coming down to check on Lt. Thorpe's progress. McKenna waits there while the Major heads down. Seeing the blocked entrance, he waits for Lt. Thorpe.

Reaching the reactor, Thorpe seeing that the reactor is rapidly venting all it's coolant. Once it's gone, the reactor safeties will kick in and shut it down, leaving the HPG without power to operate. Estimating no more than 10 minutes before safety cutout, he heads back to report. Using a chain of shouted questions, with McKenna the only one able to establish radio contact with the Hussars in the control room, they are told that the HPG is being prepped for transmission and to secure the entrance to the reactor until they get the message off.

The Major calls Lt. Faller and asks him how hard it would be to collapse the stairwell. Faller just smiles and pulls out a block of explosives saying, "This'll do it." Nodding he sends Faller off to plant the charge at the base of the stairs with a 15-minute delay. Passing Lt. Thorpe on the way up, the rest of the Eagles head to the top of the stairwell, to secure it. Once they're all up, it's just a waiting game. They hear the antenna deploy into position, followed by a rumbling from down below. With a surge of power, the Hussars get off their call for rescue, just as the reactor safeties kick in and shut it down. They barely got the message out in time.

Calling for a general pullout, the Eagles and Hussars leave the HPG and see a lance of Hussar Light 'Mechs loading up whatever they can for salvage onto flatbed trucks. Re-mounting their 'Mechs and piling into the APCs, the Eagles note a small rumbling sound and dull "thud" of a muffled explosion from the direction of the HPG. Pleased that WOB will need a long time to repair the damage, the Eagles head out.

Once back at the Hussar's base-camp, McKenna pulls Lt. Faller aside and tells him that she's going after Col. Assellin... her former Capellan commander sent here to retrieve her, and to tell Major Silver after she's gone. Faller does so, 20 minutes later. Furious, Major Silver finds the Hussar CO and tells him that he has a Mechwarrior AWOL. Asking how long ago she left, the Hussar commander tells the Major that she'll just be hitting the security perimeter about now...

Just about that time, McKenna is trying to slip past the perimeter guards. She almost makes it, but a lone Hussar catches her and calls in the rest of his squad to help pick her up. She doesn't put up a fight and is dragged back to base-camp under guard. Turning her over to Major Silver, he demands to know why she left. She said only that she had, "unfinished business" with Col. Assellin... and that she'd be back before the rendezvous with the Ace of Spades in 18 hours. Getting a ground car from the Hussars, he tells her that if she's not back when they leave, then she's going to be left behind. McKenna goes off to try to catch Col. Assellin before he can leave. But she's too late. He already dusted off and is heading back out-system.

Linking up with the Eagles 17 hours later, they watch as the Ace of Spades lands and they prep to load up the remains of their once powerful company into the ship. A short time later, the Hussars arrive and tell the Major that their dropship is already burning down from orbit and is going to land near their position. Once grounded, the Hussar CO takes Major Silver aside and thanks him for helping get the Hussars off-planet before they are caught here. To express his gratitude and repay the Eagles, he introduces someone to the Major, one Sergeant Sergei Farrell, a Rim Commonality native of the world Tematagi. He is on detached duty with the Hussars from the RC, acting as a recon expert for their anti-Marik activities.

The Major and the Sergeant had worked together before, but not for almost two and a half years. (they were volunteers sent by the Rim Commonality to fight the Clans, in direct violation of the Captain General's stance against getting directly involved in the conflict) Sgt. Farrell had lost his Vulcan fighting the Ghost Bears in the same action that ended up with the Major being taken as bondsman by the GB. While the Major's company remained behind to liberate him, Sgt. Farrell and the remainder of the Rim Commonality force left the system to return home... wounded and beaten. On the way back to the RC, they detected a very old radio transmission from an uninhabited system on the border of what used to be Terran Hegemony space. Jumping into the system, they found a world that contained a Star League cache. Most of the equipment was in ruins, but some was salvageable, including a vintage EXT-4D Exterminator. Taking that sole 'Mech as his share of the find, Sgt. Farrell was no longer dispossessed and in a vintage 'Mech of incalculable value. Though the Laser reflective armor was shot, the rest of the systems were in working order, including the Null Signature System.

On returning to the RC to find the WOB entrenched, Sgt. Farrell asked for and was assigned duty to help thwart the WOB presence and the Captain General. Publicly denouncing Sgt. Farrell as a criminal and no longer in service to the Rim Commonality, he was sent to give aid to the 1st Hussars in their covert war against WOB and the Captain General. Using his new 'Mech to great effect, Sgt. Farrell made great inroads in gathering intel on WOB movements and actions while never having been detected.

Thus it came that Sgt. Farrell would join up with the Silver Eagles, replacing their lost warrior and adding a 'Mech to the unit to replace losses there too. (in real life, this is the introduction of a new PC, a friend of ours who is joining our group... and so it grows...)

When we left the Eagles, they were just burning off-planet and heading for their rendezvous with their jumpship. Hopefully, it's still there.

Next week... the unit begins rebuilding and Major Silver heads home to face his father...

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 20 June 2014, 04:16:15 »
Great to see the Silver Eagles again. O0
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 20 June 2014, 10:37:13 »
When life doesn't conspire against me, I aim to please.  ;) That said here's the next installment.

Sorry for the delay in the updates. It's been pretty much as McKenna said. The last few sessions have been logistics and repairs. After the Silver Eagles left Clipperton, they headed to Wallis for repair parts for the Warhammer and Marauder. While there, they managed to find some parts for the Wolverine and a few other parts. McKenna's new ride is a Capellan Striker they salvaged, having picked up some replacement parts after leaving Wallis, headed for Tematagi. The Silver Eagles have also undergone a re-organization, splitting off a few units into a new Strike Lance, headed up by another player.

Lt. SG Sergei Farrell is now Strike Lance leader in an EXT-4C Exterminator. (the predecessor to the EXT-4D found in a SL cache the previous year) It lacks the Laser Reflective Armor, but the Null Sig is intact. (for as long as it lasts... The player chose the 'Mech knowing that if any section gets destroyed the Null Sig system would be totally unserviceable, so it's not like I just gave them this little nugget of tech, it's totally "black box" tech... not to mention the monthly upkeep costs)

Type: EXT-4C Exterminator (Spirit)

Technology Base: - I.S. BattleMech - Level 3 - 65 tons
Fractional Accounting - Null Signature System

Equipment                                                  Mass
Internal Structure: Standard                                 6.5
Engine:                   325 XL                            11.75
    Walking MP:            5
    Running MP:            8
    Jumping MP:            5
Heat Sinks:           14(28) - Double                        4
Cockpit:                                                     3
Gyro:                                                        4
Armor Factor:         192 - Ferro-Fibrous                   10.71

Internal    Armor
                  Structure    Value
Head                  3          9     
Center Torso         21         30     
Center Torso (rear)             11     
R/L Torso            15         22     
R/L Torso(rear)                  8     
R/L Arm              10         18     
R/L Leg              15         23     

Heat Sinks: 13 Eng, 1 RT
Armor Crits:        4 LA, 4 RA, 1 LT, 3 RT, 1 LL, 1 RL
Null Sig. Crits     1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 CT, 1 LL, 1 RL
Actuators:  Left Arm: Shd, UA, LA, Hnd    Right Arm: Shd, UA, LA, Hnd
            Left Leg: Hip, UL, LL, Ft.    Right Leg: Hip, UL, LL, Ft.

Weapons, Ammo, and Equipment         Location   Critical  Tonnage
ER Large Laser                          LA          2        5
Medium Laser                            LA          1        1
ER Large Laser                          RA          2        5
Medium Laser                            RA          1        1
LRM 10                                  LT          2        5
Artemis IV FCS                          LT          1        1
Ammo (LRM 10 - Artemis IV) 24           LT          2        2
2 Jump Jets                             LT          2        2
2 Jump Jets                             RT          2        2
Jump Jet                                CT          1        1
--
BV: 1,557
Cost: 17,932,231
Munchfactor©: 5.0

Lt. Farrell is on detached duty with the Rim Commonality militia. Officially, the Rim Commonality, along with the Principality of Regulas, has accepted the terms of the Addendum to Incorporation... unofficially, they have been waging a covert war with FWL units for the last few years. (this isn't canon, but it could have happened, but no one outside the people involved ever knew)

Here's the new TO&E.

Command Lance
Pilot (Skill)         'Mech                    Status                                                             .
Major Silver (V)      WHM-7M Warhammer         Operational; Engine upgrade to 5/8/3 XL
Lt.SG Sanderson (R)   THR-2C Thunder           Operational; MPLs rep. w/ (C)ERMLs & JJs
Lt.JG Josepho (CR)    Summoner                 Operational
Lt.JG Windsor (V)     Hellbringer              Operational; Side Torsos and Arms no longer Omni

Fire Lance
Captain McKenna (V)   STC-3D Striker           Operational; LL and AC rep. w/ (C) Gauss Rifle;MPLs rep. w/ std & JJ
Lt.SG Faller (R)      ZEU-9C Zeus              Operational; Custom with Supercharger, LPL, Rear MPLs rep. w/ JJ
Lt.JG Solovitch (R)   Executioner              Operational; RA no longer Omni
Lt.JG Jones (R)       MAD-5D-X Marauder        Operational; Custom with MASC, 3 LPLs, & 2 MLs

Recon Lance
Lt.SG Thorpe (R)      PHX-HK3 P-Hawk LAM       Operational; ComStar upgd to DHS and LPL
Lt.JG Amdecker (V)    PHX-HK2 P-Hawk LAM       Operational
Staff Sgt Chi Lin (R) Ferret Light Scout VTOL  Operational
Unassigned            Ferret Light Scout VTOL  Operational

Strike Lance
Lt.SG Farrell (V)     EXT-4C Exterminator      Operational
Lt.JG Scott (R)       WVR-7C Wolverine         Operational; MASC rep. w/ TSM
Lt.JG Yar (R)         Stormcrow                Operational
Unassigned            VL-5M Vulcan             On Order

Aerospace Element
Captain Friedrich (R) Union DS "Ace of Spades" Operational; 8 'Mech bays replaced with 12 'Mech cubicals
Captain Donnell (R)   Scout JS "Jim Bridger"   Operational
Lt. SG Hernandez (R)  CSR-V14 Corsair          Operational
Lt. JG Tucker (V)     Visigoth                 Operational

Ground Support
Mst. Sgt. Spanner (R) Clan Battle Armor (X5)   Operational
Sergeant Rhode (R)    Clan Battle Armor (X5)   Operational
--
V: Veteran
R: Regular
CR: Clan Regular

Lt. SG Thorpe (NightHawk713X) has been named the S3 and 3rd in Command, Lt.SG Faller the S2, and Lt. JG Scott the S4. Lt.SG Farrell has been named Emission Control Officer and Mst. Sgt. Spanner the CSM. (thanks go out to boilerman and plazer for their excellent essays on Command Structure)

The Silver Eagles are almost up to full strength again, needing to fill out only two positions, but they have difficult times ahead. With the situation brewing to a boil between the FWL regular armed forces and the Regulan and Rim Commonality units, Major Silver's return to the Commonality might not be a welcome one.

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 20 June 2014, 10:37:58 »
And...

Ok, They landed on Tematagi 5 days late. (they had a holdup while waiting for a parts delivery before they jumped into the Tematagi system) So they burned down to the planet to pick up the last of their repair parts, some F-F armor and Artemis IV LRMs. (and their Vulcan they ordered) After arranging for delivery, they took it easy. With Major Silver and Lt. Hernandez at a local shopping center, McKenna on a public bus, and Lt. Faller and Thorpe at a local Diner, a news story broke over the radio and video broadcasts...

"We interrupt our normally scheduled broadcast to report the following...

Approximately one month ago, this video was shot by reporters on the planet Clipperton...

::video of the Silver Eagles attacking the HPG run in the background, followed by a shot of the HPG burning to the ground::

The unit responsible for this is a Mercenary unit known as the Silver Eagles. It is not known why they attacked the Clipperton HPG, but they are wanted for violation of the Communications Protocol of 2787, as well as violation of the Ares Conventions for attacking a civilian facility.

The Silver Eagles were last reported on the planet Wallis two weeks after the attack. Though they did not attack the planet or it's facilities, it is known they obtained repair parts from Ronin Inc. Reports suggest that the Silver Eagles may be here on Tematagi, attempting to procure more replacement parts for their anti-Marik activities. Any citizens with information on the whereabouts of the Silver Eagles are asked to contact the nearest Word of Blake Comm center immediately. A 100,000 Eagle reward has been offered for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of these state criminals.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming."

Needless to say, this left the Eagles in a bit of a bind. Lt. Faller noticed that someone had spotted his unit patch and was on the vid-phone talking to someone and looking in their direction. Lt. Hernandez was in her jumpsuit, with the Silver Eagles unit patch on her shoulder. Luckily, McKenna was in total civilian clothes. Lt. Faller and Thorpe beat a hasty retreat to their groundcar, pulling away as they heard sirens coming closer. Once outside, Major Silver contacted Lt. Faller to learn that they were spotted. Heading for his hovercycle with Lt. Hernandez, McKenna gets off the bus that had been bringing her to the same shopping center. Seeing Major Silver, she approaches as he contacts the Dropship to ask their status. The Ace of Spades was currently receiving their shipments and had not heard the broadcast. (and apparently, neither had the delivery people for Nimakachi Fusion Products) Major Silver put the Ace of Spades on high alert and called for Lt. Faller to come pick up McKenna.

Reaching his hoverbike, they watch as a security guard drives up in a small electric car. (think Mall security here) Asking them for identification as they were identified as possibly being "those rogue mercenaries", they try to stall for time. When he calls for assistance over his radio, Lt. Hernandez comes up and says he can inspect her unit patch. When he leans over, she clonks him on the back of the head, knocking him cold as Lt. Faller drives up. McKenna climbs in the back seat while Major Silver and Lt. Hernandez climb on the hoverbike. They start to head for the Dropship when they hear sirens, turning to see local police cars heading toward them. They bolt out onto surface streets with the hoverbike leading the way. Heading through an intersection against the light, the hoverbike jams traffic in the intersection. Unfortunately, the car with McKenna, Lt. Thorpe and Faller was too far behind them. Lt. Faller turns right down a side street, then left up a parallel street, only to be joined by a local police car right behind them. Meanwhile, Major Silver tells Lt. Hernandez to pull over so he can have her put on his field jacket so her unit patch isn't visible.

With a cop car hot on their heals, they speed up. Reaching under the driver's seat, McKenna retrieves a hold-out laser pistol. Lt. Thorpe asks if anyone has any weapons, when Lt. Faller reaches into the small of his back and pulls out a hold-out needler. Giving it to Lt. Thorpe, Lt. Faller slams the car into a side-slip, taking them back toward the street they were on originally. Taking another side-slip, the cop car stays right on their heals as they fly by Major Silver and Lt. Hernandez. McKenna rolls down the rear passenger window while Lt. Thorpe rolls down his window on the passenger side. Thorpe and McKenna lean out the windows and try to take out the police car's tires. Thorpe's needler shreds into the car's fender, missing the tire, but McKenna's laser hits home on the front left tire. The police car loses control and starts to tumble down the street as Major Silver and Lt. Hernandez begin to come up behind them. Dashing quickly into on-coming traffic to avoid the wrecking police car, Lt. Hernandez manages to get back in behind the ground car. With more police cars coming up behind them they start to pick up speed to get away. The hoverbike, being faster, zooms ahead to see what's ahead. They are caught by a set of 4 APCs as they pull in to block the road.

Lt. Faller tells McKenna to pull down the back seat and get into the trunk. Doing so and grabbing a light, she looks in the trunk and sees an SRM launcher. Grabbing it and handing it up to Lt. Thorpe, she asks what it's loaded with. Faller yells back, "It's got 2 Infernos!" Just then they reach Major Silver pulled to a stop at the intersection before the roadblock. The Police have blocked the two side streets as well and dozens of police cars are coming up behind them. Major Silver calls the Ace of Spades to have Lt. Amdecker in his LAM dust off for assistance. He's told that Lt. Amdecker is on ready five, so he won't be ready to leave for a few minutes. The ground car stops next to the Major and Lt. Thorpe gets out to take a careful shot at the APCs with the Inferno SRM rounds. With police scattering for cover, he hits dead on, spreading flaming gel all over the intersection. All four APCs catch fire, while the police run for their lives. Jumping back in, McKenna tells Lt. Faller to floor it and ram the roadblock. Reaching 240 kph, they slam through the roadblock with Major Silver and Lt. Hernandez right behind them.

Racing for the Dropship, Major Silver tells them that they're coming in hot. Pulling up the ramp a few minutes later, Major Silver heads for the bridge, meeting Captain Darious on the lift. The newly delivered Vulcan is just being locked into it's cubical, while the Eagles prep for a hasty take-off. On reaching the bridge, Darious orders the stunned bridge crew to prep for immediate liftoff. The Comms officer informs Darious that they have been ordered to hold their position to await the arrival of the local authorities to place them all under arrest. Darious sighs and orders the Comms officer to ignore the request and preps the Ace of Spades for takeoff.

Lifting off and making orbit, they detect a lance of light Aerospace fighters approaching their position. Ordering the Nav officer to make for their waiting Jumpship, the Jim Bridger, while the Ace of Spades leaps to 2.5 Gs and preps to fight off the light opposition. Once they lock weapons on the fighters, they scatter and break off pursuit. Slowing back to a 1 G burn, Major Silver asks for a staff meeting in 10 minutes, and asks McKenna, Lt. Thorpe and Lt. Faller to join him in Lt. Faller's quarters for a "private briefing."

Once there, they see Lt. Faller working on a computer model of the Clipperton HPG. Discussing their options, Lt. Faller informs them that it is possible that his explosive charges could have caused the facility to burn down. With that, the computer shows how the explosives he set could have caused a chain reaction of fires, leading to the main hydrogen fuel tanks being ruptured, thus burning the HPG to the ground with it's own fusion fuel.

Later in the staff meeting, Captain Darious is given the opportunity to turn the ship around and turn the Silver Eagles over to Marik authorities. Being the good Lyran he is, he and his crew would rather see the Ace of Spades burning is space than let Marik authorities board, even if they didn't do anything wrong. Good or bad, Darious and the crew of the Ace of Spades throw in their lot with the Silver Eagles.

When Master Sgt. Spanner asks if there is any truth to the allegation, Major Silver tells him that when they left the HPG, it was still standing. (true) He tells those assembled that there was a firefight in the reactor room and some collateral damage was done. (true) However, he omits the fact that a second explosive charge was set in the stairwell, leaving out the fact that it is likely that the Silver Eagles are responsible. The assembled officers all agree to defend their actions on Clipperton, whatever the cost.

The last business covered was the decision to continue on to Negushivo, jumping into a pirate point in case they are expected. Once there, Major Silver will use his position as the Duke's son and Knighted Landholder of the sovereign planet of Negushivo to press for an investigation into the allegations against the Silver Eagles. Their hope is that lacking any real evidence, it will be WOB's word against theirs.

Now it's on to Negushivo... and home. Only time will tell if the Silver Eagles have burned one too many bridges.

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2014, 10:38:59 »
and last one for today...

This one's long... I wrote it up in story form. (practicing for Battlecorpes)

Major Silver floated on the bridge of the Ace of Spades. They had just jumped into Negushivo, his home that he hasn't seen in 4 years. So much has happened... captured by the Ghost Bears... Operation Scorpion... forming his own Unit... fighting along the Clan front and Periphery. It seemed like a blur of events, all running into one another like the clouds over his home estate. But now he was home... or was it home?

His thoughts were broken by the Ace's pilot. "Coming about sir."

Captain Darious looked over at the navigator. "Plot a burn for the planet. One G."

"Aye sir, one G."

The Ace of Spades rolled over and pitched toward the planet below. Not knowing what to expect, they had called for the Jim Bridger to plot a jump into the L1 point over Negushivo. A pirate point to be sure, but it cut their travel time to the planet down to only 6 hours. Once on the planet, safely landed on Major Silver's estate, the Silver Eagles would be safe from arrest. Now they were here... and the time had come.

"Engines throttling up sir. now at 1 G and steady."

"Thank you Ensign." Darious confirmed. Looking over at Major Silver, he nodded.

Major Silver sighed. He handed a data disk to the communications officer. "Comms. Lock microwave transmitters on these planetary coordinates and set to transmit on this frequency."

In a few moments the comms officer reported, "Channel locked sir. Frequency open."

Major Silver waited for the reply. He didn't have to wait long. "Kevin Silver Estate, how may I help you?" It was the voice of Steve LaGraves, his estate manager.

"This is Kevin Silver. I've just jumped in-system and will be landing in 6 hours at these coordinates." The Major punched a set of numbers to be inserted into the transmitter’s sub-harmonic frequency. Major Silver waited, knowing there was a 2 second delay before his signal reached the planet. That meant at least 4 seconds before he would hear anything. He waited more than 4 seconds.

After what seemed like forever, a voice cracked over the frequency. "Did you say Kevin Silver? Kevin Charles Silver?"

"Yes, Steve. It's me. I'm home." the Major replied.

An interminable time passed, as no doubt, Mr. LaGraves ran a voice pattern check to verify his Landlord's identity. Finally he came back on the line. "Yes! Yes sire! Welcome home! You had been reported as MIA on the Clan front, and when you did not return with the remainder of the Rim troops, we all assumed the worst, my lord. It's good to see you return! We'll meet you at the transmitted coordinates in 6 hours, sire."

Major Silver had forgotten the irritation of being called 'sire' and 'my lord'. He'd always hated the nobility he was born into, but now for the first time, he needed it. "Thank you Steve. Please be ready with transports and accommodations for 20 guests. We'll meet you at 1407 Terran Standard Time. Silver out."

He sighed in relief as the worst was over. He was still the landed Knight he had been when he left, so the safety of the Silver Eagles could be assured for as long as he held his title and they remained on his land. The next part would be even harder though, as he handed the comms operator another data disk. "Punch up the transmission data on here." he sighed. As the comms officer nodded that the connection was open, Major Silver waited again.

This time, he heard something that made his gut wrench. "Duke Silver's Estates. Blessed be the Word of Blake."

WOB! They were here, and in his father’s estate! Major Silver was stunned, but tried to recover quickly. “I need to speak with Duke Silver.” Was all he said.

He waited for the reply. “Who may I say is calling?” the unknown voice probed.

“This is the Duke’s son, Kevin Charles Silver.” he postured.

Time passed as the signal traveled to and from the planet half a million kilometers away. Finally the voice responded. “I’m sorry sire, but the Duke is busy on State business. Can I convey a message to him for you?”

Silver noted that the voice had not sounded startled or seemed at all concerned with his claim of being the Duke’s son. “Just tell him that I’ve come home. Thank you.” As he reached over the comm. officer’s shoulder and switched off the transmitter. He looked over at Captain Darious. “I’ll be in my quarters if you need me.” as he shuffled off the bridge.

Major Silver waited for Lieutenants Thorpe and Faller to arrive. He’d called them in because he’d asked them both to feel out the crew and try to determine who was likely to leave the Silver Eagles over this situation with the HPG. The Major had told all members of the Eagles that they were all free to leave under good terms and disconnect themselves from the Silver Eagles and the reputation they were now likely to engender. No one had come forward officially, but that didn’t mean there weren’t those that would under a more stressful situation.

Major Silver was startled by a knock at his door. “Come in.”

It was Lt. Thorpe. The two waited for Lt. Faller to arrive, and in a moment he had. Locking the door behind him, Lt. Faller reached behind his back. A small chirp indicated that the white noise generator was effectively clouding their conversation.

Major Silver looked at Lt. Thorpe. “Anything?”

Lt. Thorpe sat back in the chair he took. “No one has come to me in any official manner as S-3 sir.”

Major Silver and Lt. Faller both looked at Lt. Thorpe. “How about unofficial ways?” Lt. Faller interrogated.

Lt. Thorpe shrugged. “No one has said anything to me.”

Major Silver looked at Lt. Faller. “And you?”

Being a surveillance operative, Lt. Faller had ‘interrogated’ everyone on board the ship without their even having been aware of it. “Well, no one has been plotting to leave… and there haven’t been any attempts to circumvent security…” Lt. Faller paused and looked at Lt. Thorpe. “But I have noticed something.”

Major Silver got concerned. “What?”

Lt. Faller collected his thoughts. “Well the thing is… it’s Chi Lin. She hasn’t shown any signs of wanting to leave, but she hasn’t talked to anybody.”

Major Silver furrowed his brow. “She hasn’t talked…”

Lt. Faller made himself more clear. “…to anybody… no one at all… for 6 days. It’s odd behavior that began immediately following the reports of our criminality. It’s a concern is all, nothing solid.”

Major Silver thought for a moment. He finally replied, “Look into it.”

Lt. Faller held up his hands. “The only way to get anything more would require a direct confrontation. Anything else would just consume time we may not have.”

Major Silver looked at the two officers. “Find out. I’ll leave it up to you. Dismissed.”

The two left for their room. As they entered the room, Lt. Thorpe turned to his roommate. “You need something?”

“Yeah.” Faller said, grabbing something from behind the computer monitor.

He turned to leave as Lt. Thorpe called to him, “Hey Joe. You going to talk to her?”

“I was going to, yeah. Why?”

Lt. Thorpe sighed, “Let me do it. It’s more my job than yours.”

Faller looked at his roommate. “Ok, but do you want some advice Randall?”

“Sure Joe.”

“Take this.” as he handed him a holdout needler.

Randall looked the weapon over. “Good weapon.” He began to place it in the small of his back in a small holster, when Joe noticed he already had one.

“Hey! Just how many do you need?”

Randall looked at Joe. “Hey you offered it!”

Lt. Faller snatched the needler back and left the room laughing.

Reaching the Lower ‘Mech bay, Lt. Thorpe approached the Light Vehicle bay where the VTOL was stored. Chi Lin was doing pre-flight checks, readying the VTOL for flight.

“Lieutenant.” She called back over her shoulder, not missing a step.

“Hey, are you expecting trouble?”

Sergeant Chi Lin continued with her pre-flight checks. “I’ve found it’s always best to be prepared.”

“Good thinking.” Lt. Thorpe followed her into the cargo bay as she continued her checks, carrying a bottle and two glasses.

“Say, do me a favor and close that door behind you.” She asked.

Lt. Thorpe turned and slid the door shut. “We need to talk.”

“I assumed as much. What’s with the glasses?” she said as she pulled down a jump seat.

Lt. Thorpe pulled down another. He looked at her tapping the side of a bottle of Everclear and Plumb Wine, “Ok, just how many of these is it going to take to get you to talk? If it’s more than two, I’ll be unconscious.”

She looked at him and laughed. “Pour the drinks.”

As the Ace of Spades settled down onto the tundra three-kilometers northwest of Kevin Silver’s estate, the pilot called out. “All engines stop. We are stable one, captain.”

Darious nodded to his pilot. “Thank you.” He turned to Major Silver. “We’re down and secure.” Turning again he barked, “Weather, report.”

The comms officer turned to the two. “Ambient air temperature, 7°... wind 4 knots…”

A warm day… Major Silver mused.

The comms officer interrupted his thoughts. “Sir, I have incoming ground vehicles... seven. Baring 117 at 2600 meters and closing.”

Darious turned. “Can you identify?”

“IFFing now sir…” There was a pause. “Six read out with an ID code registering them as belonging to Major Silver’s estate. The seventh reads as one belonging to Duke Silver’s estate.”

Major Silver’s breath came short. “Oh boy…”

“Royal welcome?” Darious quipped.

“Comms. Contact Major McKenna and Lieutenants Thorpe and Faller. Have them meet me at the exit ramp in five minutes. Full dress. And contact Sergeant Spanner. Tell him to prepare a security detail. Full armor.” He said as he headed toward the lift, needing to change into full dress himself.

Five minutes later, three were gathered together at the top of the ramp. Sgt. Spanner and 9 others were gathered there as well in full Battlearmor.

Major Silver turned to Lt. Faller as he finished adjusting his family saber. “Where’s Lt. Thorpe?”

Faller looked at his commanding officer. “On assignment, sir.”

“I see.” He replied. “Sergeant, follow us down and set up a loose security perimeter. You’re with me.” The Major ordered.

“Aye, sir.” The metallic voice responded.

Major Silver punched a button on a wall panel. “Comms, have they arrived?”

“They’re at the base of the ramp sir.”

“Open the outer door.”

The ‘Mech bay hissed as cold air came rushing into the bay. As the door slid all the way open, the three and their escorts headed down the ramp.

As they neared the bottom, a host of aids poured out of the vehicles. One approached a long black hover-limo, carrying something. He placed it on the ground and it unrolled to form a red carpet, linking the limo and the base of the Dropship ramp.

The trio continued down the ramp and watched as an older man emerged from the vehicle. He was large and muscular, belying the stark silver hair that denoted his advancing age. Wearing a finely tailored suit, he stood firm and erect as he began down the carpet. As they got closer, Captain McKenna could see that he was obviously of Russian descent, his features were chiseled as though carved from granite. They all reached the base of the ramp at the same time, as though it was all so perfectly choreographed.

Snapping to an immediate attention, Major Silver snapped a salute to his father and Duke. “Major Silver, reporting in. SIR!”

The Duke returned his salute with equal perfection, born of decades of military habit. “Major Silver?” the Duke asked. He looked at his son’s uniform. It was black with silver trim, not at all like the uniform of the Free Worlds League Militia. He wore the family saber, but the rest looked so foreign to him. “And I assume these are your aids?” he said, pointing to the two similarly uniformed people.

Major Silver gestured to the two in turn. “May I present Captain Erin McKenna, second in command of the Silver Eagles, and Lieutenant Senior Grade Joseph Faller.” The two snapped salutes to the Duke in turn.

“And these… guards?” he further asked.

“Sergeant Spanner and his men.” The Major replied, gesturing to the Clan Elemental suit immediately behind him.

The Duke nodded to the armored guard. Turning back to his son, “We weren’t expecting you. Last we’d heard those Invaders had captured you. Why are you back now?”

Major Silver took a deep breath, relishing the cold air of his home. “I’m getting married.”

The Dukes eyes swelled with shock. He collected his temperament and replied, “This is not the place to discuss such things. You will come to my estate, twenty hundred hours this evening. We’ll welcome you home properly and discuss this later.” He paused a moment. “…and welcome home.” Turning sharply, he marched back to the waiting hover-limo and it began to pull away.

Major Silver let out a long breath of tension as a man came running up from one of the other vehicles. He was small are wore thick rimmed glasses. His face was pale from too many hours spent indoors, seeing to mundane matters. As he came close, Major Silver smiled and extended his hand.

“Steve! It’s great to see you!” the Major exclaimed.

The estate manager took the Major’s hand, bowing slightly in deference to his Landlord’s position. “Thank you sire. All has been made ready as you requested my liege. Twenty rooms have been prepared for your guests and we have set out for your tailor. He should be here within the hour sire. I hope all is well”

The Major sighed as he recalled why he volunteered to leave Negushivo in the first place. I hate this stuff…

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 21 June 2014, 17:37:17 »
As promised...

And the plot thickens…
--
Major Silver stepped out of the hoverlimo sent by his father to bring him to his welcome home celebration. Helping Lieutenant Hernandez out, they were greeted by a throng of media and spectators. Flashes of light threatened to blind them both, but the crowd was held back by security. Cheers and acclamations were mixed with screams of protest and shouted questions from reporters. Major Silver steadied himself for what he knew would be a difficult night.

For her part, Lieutenant Hernandez couldn’t understand the interest. Raised in the Capellan March, she was familiar with noble reception, but it seemed so out of place being in the middle of it all. On top of that, she was unused to the fine gown she wore. Growing up poor, the form-fitting black and red gown was the most expensive thing she had ever worn and it made her feel exposed. Still, she was a soldier. If I can face Clan fighters in the cold of space, I can surely get through this!

Looking over the crowd, Major Silver noticed something unpleasant at the doors. Two white-robed acolytes stood on either side of the door. Oh boy… and displaying the WOB broadsword. Great… just perfect. Steeling himself, he took Jan’s arm and escorted her to the door. The acolytes opened the double doors as they approached, not giving a second glance to who was entering. As they passed inside, they were escorted by one of the Duke’s aides to a waiting area to wait for their guests.

As Lieutenants Thorpe, Amdecker, Scott, and Sergeant Chi Lin pulled up in their limo, Randall noticed the acolytes at the door before even stepping out. “Well, have a good time!”

Ben Scott looked at Lt. Thorpe. “Oh come on! The CO is going in past them now… and he’s wanted by WOB just as badly as you are. Come on Ian, lets go.” as Ben and Ian climbed out.

Randall turned to Chi Lin. “Still want to go?”

Chi Lin inspected the two at the door. “We can take ‘em.” She said, tossing him a wink. The two left the limo and headed for the door behind Ian and Ben.

Lieutenants Farrell, Sanderson, Windsor, and Josepho arrived in the third limo. Sergei Farrell wasn’t so sure about going in with WOB at the entrance. He officially left the FWLM because of WOB and this looked to be a touchy subject. But when he saw Lt. Thorpe walk in, he figured Well, between the lot of us, we can take them.

Lt. Faller and Captain McKenna were the last to arrive. As they passed through the doors, they were escorted to where the rest of the Silver Eagles were waiting. The aide gestured for Major Silver to follow him to the main hall. Entering a huge hall decorated in lavish 19th century Russian, it looked like a historical look back into the age of the Czarist Russian palaces.

The aide stopped at the entrance and raised his voice above the crowd. “Announcing his Royal Highness, Lord Kevin Charles Silver!” The crowd hushed as he entered the hall, finally breaking onto rapid applause as he started walking toward the back of the hall where his father was seated. As he reached the back of the hall, he bowed to his Duke. Looking up at the throne of his father, he looked to the left and saw an empty chair, that which was his mother’s. To the left of that was the chair for his sister, Countess Alessandra Marie Silver, heir to the Duchy. It too was vacant. To the right was the chair that was his own. Beside it sat another chair, slightly lower and much less ornate, obviously meant for Jan. He escorted Jan to her seat and took his own.

Seeing his son seated, the Duke stood. “Thank you all for coming this evening and welcoming my son home from war. Please, enjoy yourselves.” He then took his seat again and watched as the rest of the Silver Eagles were announced.

The aide once again spoke over the crowd. “Announcing his lordship’s personal guard!”

Captain McKenna and Lt. Faller entered first with the rest of the Silver Eagles following behind. They made their way over to a corner and watched as the crowd began to return to their previous discussions.

Josepho looked like he was ready to start a fight. Having been raised in the Clans, he found this ‘extravagance’ disgusting. Major Silver had had the forethought to explain the need for it all before they came, dismissing it all as “…needless pomp and circumstance that keeps the lower castes happy. They like to see their nobility all dressed up and looking good. It gives them a sense of national pride.” Still, he didn’t like it all. It is all so… alien. Josepho wasn’t the only one.

Seeing the tension in their group, Captain McKenna spoke up. “Relax. Enjoy yourselves. Mingle!”

Looking at the WOB acolytes serving the guests, Lt. Thorpe quipped, “Is that an order, ma’am?” They chuckled and started milling about.

After about an hour, Lt. Thorpe was standing next to a buffet table with Chi Lin, watching Ben make his fourth pass through the assorted foods. Suddenly, a man approached wearing the uniform of the Free Worlds League Militia. Lt. Thorpe glanced at his rank and recalled it as some kind of Sergeant rank. “Can I help you Sergeant?”

The NCO extended his hand to the Lieutenant. “Master Sergeant Daniel O’Hare, sir. Pleased to meet you. You’re a member of the Lord’s personal unit, right? The Silver Eagles?”

Randall took his extended hand. “Yes. What can I do for you Sergeant O’Hare?”

“I just wanted to hear about your unit sir. What you’ve seen, what you’ve done. Mind if we talk?”

"Not at all Sergeant." He replied.

--

Lt. Faller escorted Captain McKenna out onto the balcony where many couples had gathered. It was a cool night, typical for Negushivo. The two talked for a short time until a lone man in a FWLM uniform interrupted them.

“Lieutenant Faller is it? My name is Lieutenant Nocoli Chekov, Negushivo Militia. Mind if we talk?”

Unknown to each other, both groups were questioned for some time about the Silver Eagles before their questioners returned to the reception.

--

As the hour turned late, Duke Silver stood and announced to the assembled guests. “Thank you all for coming this evening.” This was the cue for his aids to begin escorting people out. When the hall was cleared, the Duke turned to Major Silver. “Now that you have been welcomed home properly and the guests have left, we can discuss other matters.” He looked at Lt. Hernandez.

“Father, may I introduce Lieutenant Jan Hernandez, my fiancée.” Major Silver gestured to Jan, who curtsied as deeply as she could in her tight gown.

The Duke nodded in appreciation to the gesture. “And you intend to bring her into our House?”

“Yes sir.” was his only reply.

Duke Silver looked hard at his son as though studying him for some flaw. Then he turned his gaze at Jan, who returned his gaze, not down in deference as she had been raised.

The Duke nodded and looked back at his son. “And do you ask my consent?”

Major Silver squared his shoulders. “I would sir.”

The Duke looked at his son, passing almost a full minute before responding. “Very well, you have it. Good evening Ms. Hernandez. Goodnight… Major.” And he turned and left through a side entrance.

Coming out the entry hall, Major Silver let out a sigh of relief. The worst is behind me now. All I have to do is face WOB!

Lt. Faller spoke up first. “Well? How did it go?”

Major Silver looked at the Lieutenant. “As good as can be expected. I’m still a Lord and I’m still getting married, so things are good. Let’s go home.”

As they headed back to Major Silver’s estate, a white robed Adept approached. “Major Kevin Charles Silver?”

The Major stopped and turned. “Yes?”

The Adept handed an envelope to the Major. “You have been served, sir.” He then turned back to the Duke’s estate.

Captain McKenna and Lt. Faller joined the Major and Jan in the first limo for the return trip. After they were underway, Major Silver opened the envelope.

--
Date: January 11th 3054
To: Major Kevin Charles Silver and Principle Members of the Silver Eagles

You have been charged with violation of the Communications Protocol of 2787 and Ares Conventions for attacking the Hyperpulse Generator on Clipperton. You will report to the Class B station on Negushivo by 10 AM TST January 13th 3054 to state your case and face justice.

May The Will of Blake be our justice.
--

Major Silver handed the paper to Captain McKenna. After reading it, the four returned to the estate in silence.

--

“So, what it boils down to is what your father thinks, right?” Lt. Thorpe interjected during the morning meeting.

Major Silver reflected. “To a certain extent, yes. Basically we have two good choices. We can demand third-party arbitration on Outreach and let them decide, or I can claim my rights as Lord and demand noble trial here by Negushivo courts. Depending on what my father’s opinion is could sway things one way or the other. If my father were really against me, then we’d be better off on Outreach. If he’s neutral or favorable to our position, then here would be better because they have to prove intent to destroy the HPG.”

Lieutenant Thorpe asked “What about your sister? Isn’t she in charge now?”

Lieutenant Faller recalled the info he’d obtained on Negushivo’s recent history. “A year and a half ago, while the Major was off on the Clan front, Countess Silver was given executive authority over administrative affairs. Basically, she was placed in charge of day-to-day running of the government in preparation for her taking over for her father. About a week after taking over, she signed an executive authorization allowing Word of Blake to take over communications at our Class B station. ComStar’s contract was canceled and they were told to leave. She also signed an additional executive authorization making WOB the personal staff of House Silver. Basically, they live in your fathers house and know all and see all that goes on.”

“Once entrenched, she as much as forced your father to sign the Addendum to the Incorporation, releasing Negushivo Militia to the Captain-General. That left a need to protect the planet from periphery raiders. Again, the Countess allowed WOB to fill that roll, putting WOB military on-planet. Now she has an unshakable hold on the reigns of power.”

“About six months ago, she opened up trade negotiations with Tematagi for export of raw resources to Nimakachi Fusion Products Ltd. The resources would be mined from your southern continent. She claimed it would revitalize the mostly service industry economy, pumping Eagles back into the economy and allow for greater quality of life.”

Major Silver stopped Lt. Faller. “But the southern continent resources are in the middle of the Negushivo Wildlife Preserve…”

Joe Faller interrupted the Major in turn, “…which does not exist any longer. Your sister signed it out of existence the next day.”

Major Silver got a concerned look. “But those preserves are what keep this planet from loosing what little food and oxygen production it has. Let those herds die off and the whole ecosystem will collapse. I mean, this planet is only livable because of the little plant and animal life that was transplanted here. Without the preserve, it’s just a matter of time…”

Interrupting again, “…before the whole planet boils away its oxygen, I know. But that will take a century or more and these are profits that can be made now and that’s all she sees. In the short term, Negushivo can import food for less than it makes in export fees from the mines.”

“What about the local population? Are they benefiting form this?” the Major further asked.

“Not really. Last quarter showed a massive layoff in the service industry. Unemployment is at an all time high. The profits from the mineral sales are all going into Silver family coffers, and most of the mineworkers are off-world temps because the local population just isn’t qualified for industrial work. To calm fears, your sister instituted a new division of militias to be formed. So, most of the unemployed are joining up.” Faller continued. “And those militias…”

“…are under the control of WOB.” The Major finished. Lt. Faller just nodded. Major Silver couldn’t believe what he was hearing. His home planet was not only slowly being destroyed, but its population was signing up to join his bitterest of enemies. “I’ve got to talk to my father.”

A tone came from the intercom. Major Silver pressed a button on his desk. “What is it?”

The voice on the other end replied, “Sir, there are some gentlemen from the militia here to see you. They claim it’s urgent.”

“Show them in.” he answered. “And see if you can get me a direct line to my father please. Thank you.”

After a moment, two familiar looking militiamen were shown into the Lord’s office. Stopping in front of his desk, they saluted the Major. “Sir, I am Lieutenant Senior Grade Chekov and this is Master Sergeant O’Hare. We have come to speak to you about recent events here on Negushivo.”

The Major looked at his officers. “Please Lieutenant, be seated. What can we do for you?”

The Lieutenant cleared his throat. “Sir, we have come to ask to join your personal guard. I myself speak for the third armor company of Negushivo’s Defenders. The Sergeant speaks for the 5th through 8th infantry platoons. We are all ready to serve you sire.”

The Major looked across his desk at the two men. They wore the standard uniforms of the FWLM and he thought he could recognize them from the night before. “Continue Lieutenant.”

Lieutenant Chekov gathered his thoughts. “Over the past few months, we have seen massive changes in Negushivo’s militia. All our S-2 personnel have been rotated off world and WOB Adepts and Acolytes have been put in their place. In addition, we believe we are being prepped for transfer off world to go fight for WOB or Marik.”

Major Silver thought for a moment. “Have you any idea where your intelligence officers have been sent?”

“None sire.” The Lieutenant replied. “All we know is they were sent off ‘for extensive cross-training and deployment.’ to quote our CO. Sire, we have no desire to fight on behalf of either WOB or the Mariks. We’re Negushivans. We serve the Duke, but fear he has been co-opted by your sister… sire.”

The Major snorted. “You’ll get no argument from me there, Lieutenant. However, I feel I must warn you that this company is currently charged with destroying the Clipperton HPG. If you joined us, you could share in our fate if we are found guilty.”

The Lieutenant and Sergeant stood and saluted. “Sir, we will follow you to hell.”

As Major Silver returned the salute, his intercom rang again. “Sire, I have your father on the line.”

“Thank you. Put him through.” As the Major picked up a handset.

His father’s voice cracked over the line. “What can I do for you?”

Kevin gathered his thoughts. “Look father, I need to speak to you, before 10 AM tomorrow.”

A moment of silence washed over the other end. Finally his father replied, “Meet me at my personal estate at 21:00 this evening.” Suddenly the line cleared as his father disconnected.

Returning the handset, the Major mused over his father’s attitude. Why was he so willing to allow my marriage to a commoner? And not just any commoner, but one from the Federated Suns. Unless… He broke his train of thought for the moment. Opening his intercom up again he called for his estate manager. “Steve. I need you to make arrangements for room and board for 200 Negushivo militiamen. Make the arrangements.”

A stilted voice on the other end answered back. “Two hundred? Uhhh… Yes. Yes sire! It will be done.” As the channel closed.

Lt. Thorpe spoke up. “I have to ask… will your troops follow the orders of someone who used to be a member of ComStar?”

Lieutenant Chekov looked at Randall. “My men and I will follow Major Silver. If he places a former member of The Order in a position over them, they will follow.”

Randall Thorpe nodded. “Good.” Suddenly he face turned ashen and he turned to Major Silver. “Sir, what if your sister has troops not listed among the normal compliment of the militia? A private guard if you will?”

Major Silver looked at Lieutenant Chekov. “Does she?”

Nicoli looked at the floor. “We’ve heard rumors, that’s all. They say she has a company of BattleMechs and fanatical warriors drawn from the ranks of WOB and the Negushivo militia. But they’re just rumors.”

Major Silver looked at Joe Faller. Joe smiled, “If she has ‘Mechs, they have a paper trail. I’ll find them.”

Major Silver nodded and looked at Captain McKenna. “Give Lieutenant Chekov the contract.”

Captain McKenna retrieved a copy of their standard hiring contract and handed it to the Lieutenant. After looking at it briefly, the Lieutenant got a confused look on his face. “I don’t understand sire. We aren’t asking to hire on as mercenaries. We’re asking to join your personal guard.”

Major Silver smiled. “I know. But once you resign your commissions and sign on with me, you won’t be answerable to Marik… or WOB. You’ll be working for me.”

The Lieutenant smiled back. “I see sir!” He pulled a pen and signed the document. Then Sergeant O’Hare signed it and handed it back to Captain McKenna.

Major Silver stood and extended his hand. “Welcome to the Silver Eagles, gentlemen! Now, Let’s see about setting things right here.”

--

The lights in the Duke’s personal estate were all off for the evening. But as Major Silver approached the estate, he could see a light on in his father’s study. Once he was escorted inside, it was no surprise he was led here. Looking around the room, he spotted his mother’s painting above the fireplace. Lost in memory, he didn’t even hear his father enter the room.

“I miss her too.” He said, startling Major Silver. The Duke crossed the room and poured himself a clear drink. “Well, what brings you here this evening? Can I get you something?”

The Major stood by his father’s desk. “No thank you, sir. I was wondering if you knew about what has happened.”

The Duke took a sip of his drink. “If you mean this business about you being charged with destroying an HPG, yes I know.” He looked at his son. “Did you do it?”

The Major stood straight. “We did nothing but what was necessary at the time.”

The Duke nodded. “So what do you want from me?”

Kevin collected his thoughts. “I need to know where things stand between us.”

His father and Duke looked at him for what seemed an eternity. Finally he answered. “You left and didn’t come back with the others. Your sister says that you chose not to come back, but instead went off to create this mercenary company instead.” He looked his son directly in the eyes. “We needed you here.”

For the first time, Kevin Silver felt guilt for having not returned to Negushivo after he escaped the Ghost Bears. “I’m sorry father. I cannot change the past. I never suspected Alessandra would turn on Negushivo or the family like this.”

The Duke mused. “It’s my own fault really. I saw too much of your mother in her when she really is more like your grandmother. You, you’re like your mother. Cautious, dedicated, and ever out to prove your own worth beyond your birthright.” The Duke stopped. “I can’t help you son.”

Kevin looked at his father. “What happened?”

The Duke sighed. “To put it bluntly, your sister tied my hands. She has Word of Blake agents everywhere. In return, she gives them new recruits drawn from our population… willing recruits that think they are doing what is best for their families. She created the crisis and provided the solution, all to garner favor from the Captain-General and other Marik supporters. She sold Negushivo out. Most of the new recruits see her as some kind of savior, delivering them and their families from the brink of starvation. Blake reinforces the belief by touting that the economic crisis is caused by the Clan invasion and the demand by other Sphere powers for war material.” The Duke took another sip from his clear drink. “So you see, I can’t help you.”

Kevin held out is hand. “What about the militia? They’ll still follow you.”

The Duke shook his head. “Son, I’m old. Too old to lead troops again. You’re just like I was you know. I couldn’t lead from a desk anymore than you can.” For a moment, Kevin could see the flicker of victory remembered in his father’s eyes. “I have to be there… with them… fighting with them.” Then just as suddenly, the look of age flooded over his father. “But I have no place in a fighting force anymore. I’d do more harm than good, making good warriors fight and die to protect me from harm I used to be able to protect myself from.”

Kevin looked down. This is my fault. I should have come home. This would never have happened if I had only thought of my home rather than building my own unit. He looked up at his father. “Then I’ll fight. I have good warriors with me.”

His father smiled at him. “Of course. You are a Silver. We have always been leaders of men. They follow us because it is in our blood. But what will you do when the fight is over? Will you leave again?”

Major Silver considered his father’s question. Finally he answered, “I’ll not abandon Negushivo.”

Putting his heavy hand on his son’s shoulder, he smiled. “I know. But remember this. I sent troops along with the others of the Rim Commonality because I believed it was the right thing to do. Fighting for others freedom from oppression is just as important as fighting for your own. If when you are done here, you need to continue that fight, you must do what is right.”

Major Silver looked at his father. “I have one more thing to ask. Why did you accept my marriage so easily?”

The Duke chuckled. “Let me ask you this. If I had said no, would you have married her anyway?”

Kevin smiled. “Yes, I would have.”

Duke Silver responded. “So, I had a choice. Refuse, strip you of your lands when you married her anyway, and sentence you to exile from Negushivo, or approve. I figured I might as well save the effort and approve to begin with.”

The two laughed a moment over the situation. They needed each other. “You have to go now son. I have things to take care of and you have much to do.” The two hugged each other and the Duke left the room. A moment later, an aide showed Major Silver out into the cold Negushivo night.

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 21 June 2014, 17:38:52 »
More...

Ok, the session tonight was short and rather unproductive. Mostly what was covered was the court session at the HPG which lasted just long enough for a notice that Sir Kevin Charles Silver was demanding his noble right to trial by Negushevo court. The rest of the session was spent trying to decide what to do with 112 unequipped infantrymen, 64 armor crew, and 24 support personnel. They settled on keeping the infantry as foot infantry, but haven’t decided how to arm them yet. The big decision lies in what armor they can get for the Armor Company. (for some reason, the FWLM didn't let them take their tanks with them, go figure)

It was decided that one armor platoon (4 vehicles) would be Heavy Tracked APCs to carry the infantry and miscellaneous cargo. What the other 12 tanks will be is the question that remains.

To that end, I have a question for those interested in taking the matter on. Look to the Design Forum for further info.

Further updates: (no long write-up in story form this week, it would be pages long! I'll just summarize)

The Eagles scouts found a possible operation site for Lady Silver's personal guard. Aerospace assets were seen, but a complete examination of their assets wasn't possible. Finding a need to arm their new recruits, they tried to find what was available. Unfortunately they learned that what few weapons and armor were on Negushivo weren't available for sale to the Silver Eagles. Their status as "accused criminals" found them with their license to purchase weapons within the FWL revoked.

So what do they do now?

Well, they searched around some databases and found reference to a world only 2 jumps away, Astrokaszy. Rumors of under-the-table weapons marketing and other black-market deals make it sound like someplace they might find what they need... guns and armor. So, all they need to do is find out if they can go there without getting in trouble. (like being arbitrarily declared outlaw for leaving the system)

After consulting with his legal aids, Major Silver determines that he can place his knighthood up as bail, effectively leaving him free on his own recognizance, able to come and go as he pleases, so long as he appears in court on Feb 1st. (or forfeit his nobility) So, the Eagles empty out the Ace of Spades except for items they can use in trade (spare weapons, ammo, etc.) taking only 3 'Mechs and the two LAMs with them for self-defense, and they're off to Astrokaszy.

Making planet-fall only a few days later, they give the name of the ship as "Smith 1", which is then re-designated "Smith 245" by the spaceport (they get a lot of "Smiths" ) and take false names for themselves. Spending a few hours and a few hundred c-bills, they are led to what amounts to a "black marketplace" of sorts... lots of merchants dealing in weapons and other paramilitary equipment. (with only damage to their serial numbers ) After finding a dealer in heavy armor, they find that they have M-21 and M-22 tanks produced by Nimakachi Fusion Products ("They just fell off the Dropship... honest!") as well as the light vehicles needed for motorized infantry. Arranging a trade for some Clan weapons and 1.5 million pounds of silver, (Pounds of silver being the common trade currency) they still need personal weapons... laser rifles and pistols, body armor, etc. They make a deal to get all they need in exchange for 300,000 pounds so now they need to get a hold of 1.8 million pounds of silver. (exchange rate approximately 5 C-bills to a pound) They only have one more commodity left to deal with that can bring in that kind of money... their damaged Timberwolf and some spare parts for it.

After a time, they find a buyer, and they're willing to part with 25 million pounds of silver to get it! (remember this is 3054 and a Timberwolf on this side of the Inner Sphere is a rare sight and a gold mine… even damaged) They arrange the exchange and get the silver certificates and pay for their merchandise. The weapons are all locally made knock-offs of Sunbeam Laser pistols and standard Laser Rifles made everywhere. That leaves them with 22.2 million in silver certificates that are worthless off-planet. So, Randall goes off to the HPG (they actually have one here!) and arranges an exchange. They won't exchange them all on-the-spot, but will exchange 10% up front and hold the rest in a holding account until they can do a background check on the Silver Eagles and the money. So they are now 9 million c-bills richer with another 89 million held by ComStar and have their weapons. Thus equipped, they head back to Negushivo to stand trial and try and start a civil war.

Next week, the Eagles on trial and facing their past.

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 21 June 2014, 17:39:43 »
And the last one for today...

how about some spares? you have the money and you might need to replace a few and not want to go back to that planet

Unfortunately, they lifted with near max load in the Ace of Spades. They could have carried a little spare stuff, but not much.

Here's a list of everything the SE brought back from Astrokaszy.

Vehicles
12  M-21 50 ton Main Battle Tanks
4   M-22 50 ton Infantry Fighting Vehicles
16  R-11 Light Combat Vehicles (no support weapon)
8   R-12 Very Light Scout Cycles
3   L-55 Heavy Support Jump Packs (no over-shoulder support weapon)
21  L-53 Light Combat Jump Packs

Infantry Gear
56  Suits Free Worlds League Ballistic Plate Armor
56  Suits Free Worlds League Ablative/Flak Combat Armor
40  M-111 Laser Rifles w/ attached Compact Grenade Launchers
144 C-14 "Sunbeam" Laser Pistols
720 Standard Power Packs
20  Military Power Packs
4   Basic Field Communicators
11  LR Personal Communicators
200 Personal Communicators
6   40 man tents
16  Advanced Med Kits
200 Basic Med Kits
200 Deluxe Field Kits
220 Nightvision Goggles
288 Parkas
288 Fatigues
56  V-Law Disposable Rockets

Miscellaneous
7   Standard Food Pallets*
1   Containerized Kitchen**
1   Containerized Sanitation Facility w/ Waste Water Incinerator**
1   Electrical Distribution Kit**

*  House Invention (see below)
** as described by boilerman in his Base Camp Equipment essay
--

The standard food pallet has been in use since the time of the Age of War. The pallet contains 720 individually packaged meals with enough nutritional value to feed the average person with 3 meals per day. The original pallets produced for the SLDF have an incredibly long shelf life, and so long as the container remains sealed the pallet will effectively last indefinitely. (many are noted as having been originally sealed during the time of the Star League and show no signs of degradation even today) Though many are still made today, most do not have the shelf life the SLDF versions possessed typically only good for 5 years with proper storage.

Other common packages are also sold. The typical Emergency Meal Box is common among many Inner Sphere households for emergency food, while the larger Military Field Pallet can supply almost 2,000 man-days of food for extended large-scale operations.

Item                     Mass        Size (L/W/H)     Meals      Cost
Emergency Meal Box       7 kg     0.40m/0.23m/0.25m      12        24 cb
Standard Food Pallet     5 tons    1.2m/  1m / 1.3m     720     1,500 cb
Military Field Pallet   40 tons    2.5m/  2m /  3m    5,760    12,000 cb
--
Basically, everything they needed to equip their infantry and armor volunteers.

Now on to the latest events!

When they returned to Negushivo, they unloaded the Ace of Spades and got ready for their trial, set to begin in 3 days. Over the next three days, Major Silver's estate was transformed from a remote royal mansion into a military stronghold. 'Mechs were used to excavate foxholes and berms, while the infantry and armor familiarized themselves with their new equipment. Thus prepared for the worst, they are set for trial.

Feb 1st, 3054
The gallery is packed when the Silver Eagles take their place in the courtroom. After the pleasantries, the Judges call for the prosecution to begin their case. (Negushivo Royal Court is tried by a 5 Judge panel appointed by the ruling family, no jury)

The prosecution spent the next two days calling witnesses brought in from Clipperton, Wallis, Tematagi, and even Outreach. Multiple witnesses from Clipperton testify that they actually saw Silver Eagle 'Mechs firing on the HPG. When cross-examined, they do admit that they were only shooting at the defenses, not the building itself.

One witness from Tematagi recounts how they destroyed 2 police APCs to evade capture for questioning about the Clipperton incident. The defense objects but the prosecution successfully argued that it went to show disregard for civilian property.

Another witness all the way from Outreach testified to the killing of a man by the Silver Eagles the year before in a bar brawl. The defense objected on the grounds of relevancy, but again the prosecution successfully argued that it showed a callous disregard for life.

By far the most damning piece of evidence came from the expert testimony of a retired FWLM combat engineer. He testified that the fire that burned the HPG down was deliberately caused by the placing of a 5 kilo block of C12 at the lowest level of the HPG, rupturing the hydrogen fuel tanks and spreading the fire quickly to other levels. On cross-examination, the defense asked if there was any evidence tying the explosive charge to the Silver Eagles. The tags found traced the explosive to a FWLM depot on Irian. By all records, those explosives were still stored there. (leaving the suggestion that WOB planted the charge themselves) After that, the prosecution rested.

The next day saw the defense calling many character witnesses, mostly former FWLM men that fought with Major Silver on the Clan front. They testified to the type of commander Major Silver was, citing occasions where he went out of his way to avoid civilian collateral damage. The worst testimony was that of one Sergeant that said that he believed Major Silver would do what was necessary to win the battle, but even he agreed that wanton destruction was not in Major Silver's character. At the end of the day, the defense rested. The judges recessed for the day and would call everyone back when they reached a decision.

When the Silver Eagles returned to Lord Silver's estate, Master Sergeant Spanner and Lt. Chekov were there at the heli-pad waiting, Sgt. Spanner in his Battle Armor. Something was up...

Major Silver approached the two waiting for him. "Report."

"You need to come with me sir." Lt. Chekov said. The officers of the Silver Eagles followed the pair to the tent they had set up as a HQ.

Lt. Chekov began as the officers gathered. "Sir, about 1 hour ago we began being over-flown by enemy ASF assets. Not long after that, radar picked up enemy ground forces massing to the north." He pointed at a spot on the map table. "They stopped twenty clicks out and have been holding here ever since."

Major Silver looked at the map. They were on his land. "Would they really attack us now?"

Lt. Faller spoke up, "Sir, if the Judges already reached a decision... and WOB got wind of it..."

Lt. Thorpe interrupted, "But they would only do something like this if things weren't going their way, right?"

"Likely." Joe finished.

Major Silver came to a decision. "McKenna, get the warriors prepped for combat and get the 'Mechs warmed up. Lt. Chekov, prep the armor and infantry for defensive operations. Randall, put out a call to all Negushivo militia that hostile forces are massing for an attack. Be specific. Put out the call to Negushivo militia, not FWL Militia. It'll stir their blood. Let's move."

The assembled offers broke for their assigned tasks as Major Silver considered his options on the way to his 'Mech. If they just sit there, I can order them off my lands. If they don't leave though... this could get messy.

Stay tuned...

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 21 June 2014, 18:52:45 »
This brings back the memories.
Now let the fun begin. O0
Growing up is optional.

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 22 June 2014, 11:40:36 »
And so it begins...  ^-^

Another short session this week, (we keep getting off-topic... ) but here's the update.

Well, they prepped for the worst and sent out a message to the intruders to leave Silver lands or they would force them out. The armor and Infantry moved into their defensive positions while the Mechwarriors assembled behind their lines. Ordering the ASFs into the air for CAP, Major Silver ordered Recon Lance to over-fly the enemy position and get a positive ID. As the LAMs took into the air, they accelerated and converted into fighter mode.

Halfway there, air radar picked up four ASFs on an intercept course. Ordering their ASFs to intercept, the LAMs dropped to NOE. Watching as the real ASFs flew overhead, they continued to close on the enemy position. Radar analysis identified the contacts as two Tomahawks and two Tridents, both Star League designs. As the ASFs closed with them, coms were lost . The enemy was jamming. The Tridents swept out in a long fast arc that brought them in behind the Eagle's fighters. A non-shooting dogfight began with fighters locking weapons onto enemy fighters, only to have another fighter lock on to them.

After the ground units lost radio contact with their ASFs and LAMs, Major Silver ordered the 'Mechs forward and issued a warning to the enemy position that if they did not leave his territory, he would exercise his authority to force them out. Silence was all he ever got back. So, he ordered the 'Mechs company to begin closing on the enemy position. They would have 10 minutes before they could get into combat range.

As the LAMs closed on the enemy position, threat warning indicators showed they were being painted by ground based anti-air radar. After the threat analysis computer chewed on the data, it IDed the targeters as an SRM Carrier and an Alacorn Mk VI. They continued to close and were 20 seconds from their target when weapons fire was detected from the ASF fight overhead. No one could be sure who fired first, but it didn't matter anymore... the fight had begun...

The LAMs broke off their recon run and immediately made for the ASFs to lend assistance. Climbing rapidly, they finally were close enough to break through the comms jamming. The first thing they heard from Lt. Hernandez was "Nighthawk! Break low!" which he did as the Tridents came swooping down from high altitude on top of them. Following his tactical training, he pointed the LAM straight at the ground at hit full throttle, knowing his best bet lie in a low altitude fight, not up here where the Trident could easily outmaneuver him with its powerful engines. At least they had evened the odds by pulling the Tridents off their ASFs. But Randall now faced another problem... he was directly over the enemy encampment and pointed straight at them. If he veered off, he would be overtaken. If he didn't, he'd be subject to ground fire. The Tridents kept following so he continued to dive straight at the enemy encampment. At least he would finally get his recon over-flight! But once again he was being painted from the ground.

Randall and Ian continued to hold course until the last possible second when they pulled up and skimmed over the enemy position at Mach 1.2, while Randall's Active Probe began cataloguing all the sensor contacts. Glancing briefly at the tactical display, he saw that the sensors positively IDed many of the contacts as having been IDed before... on Clipperton! The WOB force they fought there had followed them here! As he finished his over-flight, TWI indicated multiple missile launches. The SRM Carrier had fired on him! Breaking right, three nickel-iron slugs sailed through the air, but failed to connect. He tried to evade the missile fire, but it was too late and he was too close. 46 SRMs found their target and buried him in explosions. Though none managed to pierce the armor, they did leave many areas so exposed that a single hit there could finish the job. (4 armor left on his LA, 2 on his RA, 1 on his RL, and 2 on his LT were the worst hit) Having gotten his over-flight, he broke off and headed back for the ground forces with Ian covering him.

As Major Silver watched at maximum magnification, small explosions saturated the air over the enemy position... SRM missiles self-destructing after missing their target... and a lot of them! Major Silver now knew that a peaceful outcome was not going to happen.

As the LAMs approached the 'Mechs closing on the enemy position, Randall relayed his AP data to Major Silver, who then ordered both LAMs to get out of the air and form up with the rest of the company. As they did, radar indicated 2 fighters inbound... the Tridents were setting up for an attack run.

As a side note, I have completed the Command Structure Chart for the Silver Eagles. Here it is for those interested. (with a thanks to boilerman and his essays on command structure and organization)

« Last Edit: 22 June 2014, 12:40:32 by McKenna »

McKenna

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 22 June 2014, 11:41:26 »
here's more...

On with the update! (would have been up sooner, but the forum downtime and other RL stuff kept me from getting it up sooner)

The Silver Eagles waited as the 2 fighters swept in at hypersonic velocity. Suddenly, they both dropped to NOE altitude, 60 meters off the deck.

Lt. Thorpe keyed his comm. system. "Sir, looks like a recon pass. I doubt they're carrying high-drag bombs with their speed, and they're too low for a good strafing run. Orders?"

Major Silver opened his comm. line. "We've been fired on. Weapons free."

Just then, Captain McKenna keyed her mic. "Sir, we don't know what's going on and they aren't making an aggressive pass. We should hold fire."

Before he could consider his options, the two fighters shot overhead and past the Eagle's line unmolested. The sonic boom shook the 'Mechs heavily, and were it not for their sophisticated gyro systems, would have easily fallen. Considering what to do quickly, Major Silver opened up his comm. frequency to a clear channel and broadcast in the clear. "This is Lord Kevin Charles Silver to ASF assets that just passed our position. You are in violation of Negushivo Royal airspace and are ordered to disengage immediately!" Closing the channel, he called the formation to a halt.

"Recon Leader." the Major keyed up Randall's Phoenix Hawk LAM. "Did you get your recon pass?"

Randall answered as he watched the fighters turn sharply into the sky. "Yes sir. Data has been transmitted to your computer."

Major Silver keyed up the data burst and reviewed the list of enemy 'Mechs and vehicles. Two Magis, a pair of Demons, two Zephyrs, a pair of Alacorn MK IVs, SRM Carriers, twin Chaparrals, two Mongooses, a Lanclot, two Crabs, a Flashman, a pair of Bombardiers, and about 6 platoons of infantry... I think we're outmatched. And they ID as the same units we fought on Clipperton. Keying up McKenna, he queried, "Captain. In your opinion, could we rely on the armor and infantry outside of their defensive positions?"

Captain McKenna paused a moment to consider. She replied after a moment, "I don't think they'd make a good accounting of themselves sir. They're mostly green volunteers that have spent all their time training for defense against outside aggressors."

Major Silver found the Eagles in a Catch 22. If he pulled the armor and infantry forward, they might be the equals of the enemy forces, but they would take a severe beating in the process. If he kept them in their defensive positions, they could fight as their training had taught them, but they wouldn't be in a position to do anything unless the enemy attacked in full force. Considering his options quickly, he opened up comms to Captain McKenna. "Pull the company back in good order outside of enemy jamming. Hold position there."

"Yes sir." Captain McKenna replied. "All units! This is Fire Leader. Fall back by Lances to grid coordinates 28753994. Maintain aspect to enemy position. Weapons safe until fired on. Move out!"

The company slowly pulled back to a position just outside enemy jamming. As they approached the designated coordinates, Lt. Thorpe keyed in to the Major's comms. Switching over he ordered "Recon Leader, report."

"Sir, two fighters moving in on our position 12 o'clock high."

Glancing down at his radar screen, he switched over to long range Air Detection Radar. Two contacts showed up at 15,000 meters altitude and 30 kilometers out. IFF quickly tagged them broadcasting friendly. At the same time, his comms system picked up active broadcast on the Ace of Spades' frequency. He keyed over quickly and punched in the de-scramble code.

Captain Darious was practically screaming over the channel. "Lt. Hernandez! Get yourself and that worthless pilot on the ground this instant or you'll both be grounded permanently! Do I make myself clear?"

Static clouded the response, but it was clear enough to make out the voice of his fiancé, Lt. Hernandez. She sounded frustrated and not at all herself. "Understood Ace of Spades. ETA to ground, 3 minutes. Air Leader out."

Major Silver keyed his channel open. "Ace of Spades, this is Silver Actual. Report."

Captain Darious answered in a much calmer voice. "Silver Actual, this is Ace of Spades. It is my duty to inform you that Lt. Tucker violated the Rules of Engagement." His voice wavered as he continued. "She fired without being fired on. Silver Actual, do you copy?"

Major Silver took a moment to consider this new turn of events. Finally, he keyed in response. "Roger that. Have Lieutenants Hernandez and Tucker report to the HQ tent immediately for debriefing. Silver Actual out."

Major Silver opened up comms to their HQ tent. "Silver Defensive, this is Silver Actual. Report."

Static filled his neurohelmet as the comms system tried to discern the intelligent signal from the noise of the enemy jamming. "Silver Actual, this is Armor Leader. Holding position and re-broadcasting Negushivo Militia distress on all frequencies. No response."

Major Silver keyed his mic in response. "Roger that Armor Leader. Be advised, hostile fire indicated. Have you taken fire?"

Static again filled his ears as Lt. Chekov replied. "Negative sir, negative."

Suddenly, the line cleared of static. The enemy had stopped jamming. Keying in reply, he finished, "Copy that. Hold your position and stand by. Silver Actual out." He quickly keyed over to an open channel and broadcast in the clear. "To units in position at grid coordinates 29003996, this is Lord Kevin Charles Silver, protector of this land-hold. You are in violation of my duly appointed land-hold and taking in an aggressive posture. If you do not reply, I will be forced to take action to remove you from my lands. Do you copy?"

A few seconds passed with no answer. Major Silver was about to order the company forward again when a reply came. "Lord Silver, this is Demi-Precentor Marlin. We are not here in an aggressive position, we were conducting duly authorized training drills when your fighters attacked ours without provocation. Do you intend to force hostilities between our forces?"

He knows he's got us outmatched. Major Silver considered his reply. "I do not intend to force anything, however I am the Lord of these lands and you have not obtained permission to conduct field exercises here. By who's authority are you here?"

The Demi-Precentor's voice practically dripped with glee as he replied. "We are here on the authority of her Highness, the Countess Alessandra Marie Silver."

Major Silver gritted his teeth. She did this on purpose! I know it! Keying his mic open again, he replied, “Roger that, Precentor Marlin. I have not, repeat not received an official request for this maneuver on my lands. I still have yet to ascertain exactly what happened between our fighters. I give you permission to remain here until local sunset, 1800 TST. I will contact you again when I have further information. Lord Silver out.”

Keying over to Captain McKenna, he ordered, "Fire Leader, this is Silver Actual. Pull the company back to Defensive Position Alpha and await instructions. Do you copy?"

Captain McKenna keyed in reply. "Roger that. Pull back to Defensive Position Alpha and await orders. Fire Leader out." Switching over to the company command frequency, she barked, "All units! Change heading to 184 and realign for scattered line formation Delta. Speed 54. Move out!"

10 minutes later, they were back behind their defensive positions. As the company came to a halt, Major Silver keyed up the HQ tent. “Silver Defensive, this is Silver Actual. I need a landline connection. Patch it through.”

After a moment, Major Silver got a connection to the planetary communications net. He punched in the contact number for his sister’s estate and waited.

A voice came over the line that ate at Major Silver’s nerves. “Countess Silver’s Estate, Blessed be the Word of Blake, how may I help you?”

“This is Lord Kevin Charles Silver. I wish to speak with my sister, the Countess. Connect me.”

The anonymous voice oily replied, “Oh, I’m sorry my Lord, but the Countess Silver is indisposed at the moment. Is there a message I can convey to her for you?”

Major Silver fought the urge to tell him exactly what he thought of his Blessed Blake and his damnable sister. Instead he answered, “Yes. You may tell the Countess, that I demand an explanation for Word of Blake forces being on my lands under her orders, and I demand to know immediately.

The oily voice didn’t miss a beat. “Yes sire. Is there anything else?”

“No, that is all.” And he closed the connection as the line terminated. Switching over to Captain McKenna’s frequency, he issued, “Captain. Stand down from ready status. Disembark the Mechwarriors. Leave the Infantry and Armor at ready for the moment. Silver Actual out.” At that, he shut Hermes down to standby, dismounted his command couch, and opened the hatch to descend to the ground. He was met there by one of the support personnel who helped him out of his coolant vest and into his fatigues.

As he changed, Captain McKenna approached. “Sir, what happened out there?”

Major Silver held up a finger. “Wait. Just wait. You’ll see soon enough. Come with me.” He turned to the aide. “Where are Lieutenants Hernandez and Tucker?”

The aide pointed at the HQ tent. “There sir.”

Suddenly the Major heard his personal comms chirp. He held the radio to his ear. “Report.”

“Sir this is Armor Leader. We have a vehicle approaching from the east. It’s the same vehicle that left for the Ace of Spades 10 minutes ago.”

That’ll be Captain Darious. “Roger that, Armor Leader. Stay alert and inform me if the enemy position to the north moves. Silver Actual out.” He waited for the vehicle to pull up. As the two watched, Captain Darious climbed out and joined the two officers. Turning to Captain McKenna, the Major said, “Come with me.”

The trio entered the tent that served as their field headquarters. There they saw the Mechwarriors assembled and the two Fighter Pilots standing at attention. As the Major entered the tent, Lt. Faller called out, “Attention!” The assembled warriors snapped to attention.

“At ease.” Major Silver called out. “Lt. Faller, take the unit in to my office and wait for me there for a debriefing. The Captain and Lieutenants Randall, Hernandez, and Tucker will remain here. Dismissed.”

As the assembled warriors fell out of the tent, the tent was cleared of everyone except the infantrymen monitoring the radio gear. Major Silver turned to Lt. Tucker. “Explain yourself, Lieutenant.”

Lt. Tucker took a deep breath. She had always hated the strictness of the Silver Eagles Code of Conduct. But it paid the bills… “Sir, we approached the enemy fighters that were closing on us. Climbing to high altitude, we began a series of position exchanges. First one of the enemy Tomahawks would sight in on myself and attempt to get a weapons lock, then Lt. Hernandez would come in behind and get a lock of her own on the enemy. This went on for about a minute without anyone firing. I had been locked up by one of the ‘Hawks for the last 20 seconds when my sensors indicated a massive heat surge from his weapon pods. I interpreted this as a weapons discharge and opened fire with my aft lasers, striking the enemy fighter in the nose. A moment later, I was struck by laser fire in the aft near the engine nozzles. After that it got pretty messy, sir.”

Major Silver looked the fighter pilot up and down. Holding out his hand, he ordered, “Your BattleROM, Lieutenant.”

Taking the data storage device over to the Advanced Field Comm. Set, he plugged the ROM in and punched in the time hack for the beginning of the combat. As he watched the cockpit camera, the instrument readouts were displayed beneath, showing exactly what Lt. Tucker had seen. As she said, a thermal bloom originating in the wings of the Blake Tomahawk showed on the thermal scan behind her Clan Visigoth Omnifighter. A moment later, she thumbed her rear weapons triggers that were already locked onto the tailing fighter.

Just then, one of the Privates monitoring the radio spoke up. “Sir, I have an incoming radio contact with a Lt. Donaldson of  the Negushivo Militia in reply to our distress call.”

Major Silver paused the playback and picked up a handset, “This is Lord Silver, Lt. Donaldson.”

“Lord, I just received word of your distress signal.” The voice replied. “Do you require assistance?”

“Thank you for your reply, but the emergency has passed.” The Major replied. “The ‘aggressors’ were Word of Blake Militia operating on my lands without my knowledge.”

“I see sir. We’ll stand down then. Lt. Donaldson out.”

Returning the handset, Major Silver turned to Lt. Hernandez. “Report.”

“As Lt. Tucker reported, we engaged in a series of no-fire engagements, each of us gaining the upper hand for a moment only to lose it to the enemy. As I came around in behind the Tomahawk tailing Lt. Tucker, I began to lock weapons to make him break off. Suddenly, Lt. Tucker shouted that she was taking fire and fired herself. After that, we exchanged fire several times with one enemy Tomahawk taking serious damage and Lt. Tucker’s Visigoth taking moderate armor damage. Eventually I was able to get control of the situation and pull us out of the dogfight. After that, we were ordered to ground by Captain Darious.”

Again Major Silver extended his hand. “Your BattleROM, Lieutenant.”

Inserting the ROM and punching in the same time stamp as before, he watched this time from Jan’s perspective. As Jan’s Corsair swung in behind the Blake fighter and lined up to lock on weapons, he saw the same thermal plume, but the cockpit camera caught something else. What was that? Major Silver stopped the playback and ran it back slowly. As he and the others watched, a puff of smoke could be seen coming from the underside of the Blake Tomahawk’s right wing. Major Silver turned to Lt. Hernandez. “Did you see this during the fight?”

Lt. Hernandez looked at the faint puff on the screen. “No sir. It must have happened too quickly. I didn’t notice it at the time.”

Major Silver turned to Randall. “Lt. Thorpe, would you say this is a weapons malfunction or some other system problem?”

The former ComGuard shrugged. “It doesn’t look like a weapon malfunction. Maybe a coolant failure, I’m not sure.”

Major Silver turned to Lt. Thorpe. “In your expert opinion Lieutenant, did Lt. Tucker act appropriately?”

Randall thought for a moment. “Well, taking the facts as presented now, probably not, but at the moment, I can honestly say I may have done the same thing myself. It did look like a weapon surge from her perspective, sir.”

Captain Darious spoke up. “With all due respect to the Lieutenant Major, I disagree. If I may Major?” as he gestured to Lt. Tucker’s BattleROM. Allowing Captain Darious to punch in a time stamp Captain Darious pointed to the cockpit camera. “Observe.”

As they watched the scene again, after the thermal bloom, Lt. Tucker declared she was under fire and thumbed her rear trigger. Captain Darious paused the playback and turned to Lt. Hernandez. “Lieutenant, were you operating Weapons Free at this moment?”

Lt. Hernandez answered, “Negative, Captain. We were operating Weapons Safe until fired on. I so ordered as we closed with the enemy fighters.”

Captain Darious punched in a time index on Lt. Tucker’s ROM. They all listened as the recorded voice of Lt. Hernandez was heard over the cockpit recorder.

“Enemy now at 003 Angles 15… heading 182 at Mach 1.3… contact in 30 seconds… Weapons Safe until fired on.”

The recording then played back Lt. Tucker’s voice saying, “Roger, 003, Angles 15, heading 182, contact in 30, Weapons Safe.”

Captain Darious stopped the playback and looked at Major Silver who just nodded. Turning to Lt. Tucker, Captain Darious asked, “Lieutenant, when did you unsafe your weapons?”

Lt. Tucker just looked straight forward. “Sometime after we engaged the enemy… sir.”

Captain Darious switched over to telemetry data readout and resumed the playback. Thirty seconds after they had engaged the enemy, a full minute before being ‘fired on’, the data showed the weapons going online. Rolling back and switching to the cockpit camera, it clearly showed Lt. Tucker reaching over and unsafing her weapons.

Captain Darious looked at Major Silver. “Need I say more Major?”

Major Silver stepped in front of Lt. Tucker. “Explain yourself. Why did you unsafe your weapons while you were supposed to be Weapons Safe?”

Lt. Tucker looked straight ahead as she answered. “I unsafed my weapons when I felt I would have been unable to do so in time to retaliate to a preemptive strike sir. They were outmaneuvering us and our position was compromised. If I had stayed weapons safe, I couldn’t have responded immediately to hostile action that was imminent.”

Major Silver turned to Jan. “Lt. Hernandez, what would you have done in Lt. Tucker’s place?”

Lt. Hernandez answered quickly, “I would not have violated the Rules of Engagement, sir.”

Major Silver turned back to Lt. Tucker. “Lieutenant, you are relieved of duty and confined to quarters until further notice. Dismissed.” As the fighter pilot left the tent, Major Silver turned to the assembled officers. “Comments?”

Captain Darious spoke first. “You know my opinion. She should be dismissed. It was just a matter of time until something like this happened. It’s what comes of her having grown up in the Blake-forsaken wilderness of the Greater Valkyrate.”

Major Silver turned to Lt. Thorpe. “What say you?”

Randall crossed his arms and leaned against the Advanced Field Comm Kit. “Like I said, I’d have probably done the same thing she did. Things get dicey up there fast and hesitaters end up dead. I chalk it up to a simple mistake. Slap on the wrist and a ‘Don’t ever do that again.’ should be fine.”

Captain Darious looked at the Lieutenant. “Aren’t you forgetting the matter of her weapons being unsafed in direct violation of both her orders and the standing ROEs?”

Major Silver turned to Lt. Hernandez. “She’s your wingman and under your command. You’re both ultimately responsible for her conduct and ultimately going to pay the price if she messes up in combat, if not here on the ground afterwards, up there in battle. What say you?”

Jan thought for a moment before deciding on what to do. “Based on her violation of direct orders and the ROE, ground her except in cases of extreme emergency for the next month and dock her this month’s pay, list an official reprimand on her service record with us, and give her 6 months probation. Any violation of the SECC during that time and she’s discharged without pay.”

Major Silver looked at Captain McKenna who just nodded in approval while Lt. Thorpe also nodded in grudging approval. Captain Darious was the only one to comment. “I still say it’s only a matter of time before this happens again, but I’ll go with the Lieutenant’s recommendation.”

Major Silver nodded. ‘It’s agreed then. Captain McKenna, she is to be confined to quarters aboard the Ace of Spades unless needed in the air for emergencies.”

Suddenly one of the Privates monitoring the radio interrupted again. “Sir, I have Countess Silver on the line.”

Major Silver sighed and picked up the handset. “This is Kevin Silver.”

His sister’s voice rang over the line in a tone of annoyance. “What is it Kevin? I’m really rather busy.”

Major Silver agitated but kept his cool. “Did you give permission for the Word of Blake to conduct military exercises on my land without informing me?”

His sister answered in a mockingly distracted tone. “Oh, I told them to go where they needed to go to practice planetary defense drills. If they chose your lands, I didn’t know about it, but they have my permission to be there. You should have a message or something letting you know… I’m sure someone would have seen to it.”

Major Silver bit his tongue. Planetary defense drills? And they just happened to pick my land to do it on? And them being confirmed as the same WOBs we fought on Clipperton? A likely coincidence I’m sure… “Please inform the Blake Militia that they need to depart my lands immediately, countess. They are disrupting the peace of my lands.”

Once again his sister mocked his station against hers. “Whatever, Kevin. It that all?”

Major Silver bit back his initial desire to tell her just what he thought of her managerial abilities. “No, that was all.” The line went dead without another word.

Major Silver leaned against the Comm gear. Pulling his nerves together, he stood up after a minute and said, “Private, contact Demi-Precentor Marlin on this frequency.” After a moment, the Private nodded to the Major.

“This is Demi-Precentor Marlin of the Blake Militia.”

“Precentor, this is Major Silver. Have you ascertained the extent of the damages to your equipment?”

The Blake militia leader responded coldly. “We are still examining the damages, Major. What are you planning to do about this travesty?”

Major Silver collected his thoughts. “We have determined that a mechanical malfunction on the damaged fighter led one of our pilots to believe she was under fire. She will be disciplined for breaking proper Rules of Engagement and we will compensate you for the damages. When can you give us an accounting of the damage done?”

The Blake Precentor replied again in a cold tone. “We’ll contact you when we have a complete accounting. Demi-Precentor Marlin out.”

Major Silver turned to the assembled officers. “Let’s get to that debriefing.”

When Major Silver reached his office, he checked his electronic messages. One was dated 5 minutes before he’d landed at the helepad and was informed of the Blake incursion on his land. It was the official notification of intent to perform military exercises on his land-hold.

In the middle of the meeting, Mr. Sutton, Major Silver’s Estate Manager interrupted the proceedings with a knock at the door. “Sire, I think you should turn on the holovid… Planetary News Net.”

As the warriors turned to the screen, a newscaster could be seen next to a graphic of Aerospace Fighters engaged in combat.

“As the report states, Lord Kevin Silver’s Personal Guard attacked the Blake Militia, inflicting severe damage and there are several reports of multiple casualties. While the Militia states they have no need of assistance and can handle any and all Medical needs, they do ask that any donations be forwarded to the Blake HPG for the furthering of Blake’s Divine Wisdom. Lord Silver made no comment about the engagement. We will bring further details as the story develops.”

As Major Silver muted the holovid, Lt. Scott said, “What a bunch of crap!”

Lt. Faller replied, “At ease Lieutenant… we know what it was.”

Major Silver turned to Captain McKenna. “You’re the PAO. What’s our response?”

Captain McKenna turned to Mr. Sutton. “Please call for a press conference immediately.” As the Manager left to call the press, Captain McKenna turned back to the Major. “You need to make the speech. It’ll sound better coming directly from you.”

The assembled officers spent the next several hours working out what should be said.

“My fellow Negushivans, thank you for taking the time to listen. The events surrounding our accidental engagement against Blake Militia have been thoroughly investigated. While we regret the property damage that was done and take responsibility for the damage, I would like to point out that the Blake Militia should not have been there in the first place. I was only notified by electronic message five minutes before I was told they were on my land and had not yet had a chance to review my messages. Had I known they had an official request to be on my land, I would have simply responded by denying their maneuvers, not with military force. In either event, they were not welcome on my lands.

As to the secondary issue of my trial, I have high hopes that my conduct in this situation and the conduct of the men and women under my command properly reflect the level of restraint we show in the face of the enemy. I’m sure all will see that this proves we are not given to wanton destruction.”

The Major was suddenly flooded by questions about reports of the injured. Quieting the reporters, he replied, “I have heard the same reports. As of this time, I have received no confirmed reports of injuries. If there were any, I’m sure appropriate action can be taken.”

The next hail of questions was about his upcoming marriage. Major Silver just smiled and said, “While I’d love to discuss the pleasantries of my upcoming wedding, that is not the purpose of this press conference.”

“Are there any further questions concerning the events of late or of the Clipperton incident?” a generally disgruntled negative response moved throughout the assembled crowd. “Then I’ll conclude this press conference and await the findings of the judges. Thank you.” As Major Silver turned and ascended the stairs back up to the second floor of his Estate.

At 2000 that evening, the Silver Eagles got their next piece of bad news on the holovid. A Capellan Jumpship had entered the system and was en route to the planet with a ‘special envoy of the Capellan Government’ to discuss the Clipperton incident and the legal status of the Silver Eagles. Of course, the Jumpship and Dropship matched the signatures of the Capellans they had fought on Clipperton…

Shortly thereafter, Major Silver was contacted by the Negushivo Royal Court and told that he and the other owners and principle leaders of the Silver Eagles were to report to the Royal Courthouse at 1000 the following morning. The judges had reached a verdict.

“Hear ye! Hear ye! All rise! The Royal Court of Negushivo is now in session, this the 7th day of February in the year three thousand and fifty-four! The Honorable Judges of the Court present, His Honor Judge Gregory Rubicund presiding.

The Chief Justice banged his gavel down on the old Oak bench. “Be seated.” As the crowd settled into their seats, the Judge picked up a pile of papers and prepared to read the first line. “Will the defendants please rise?”

As they stood, the Judge began. “On the charge of  Violations of the Aries Conventions and general disregard for non-military assets, this court finds insufficient evidence to implicate His Lord Kevin Charles Silver or any of his Personal Guard, the Silver Eagles.

However, as is the want and privilege of this Court, we have reduced the charge to Culpable Negligence. For lack of reasonable explanation for the attack of the Clipperton HPG in the first place, even though it is not provable that it was their intent to destroy the facility, the original premise of the attack was insufficient grounds for such destruction.”

“This court therefor finds the defendants guilty of Culpable Negligence and orders them to pay the Word of Blake a sum equal to one hundred million Eagles in compensation for the damages. If the defendants cannot or will not abide by this ruling, all Silver Eagle assets will be seized and sold at auction to pay their debt. It is so ordered and this case is concluded.” The Chief Justice banged the gavel and ended the session.

Major Silver and the others were led to the General Accounting Office of Negushivo to arrange a transfer of their funds from the ComStar account that was holding their c-bills in trust. After leaving the GAO, reporters were swarmed all around the entrance. Many question about the case and it’s finding were shouted out, but Major Silver refused to answer any… until he heard the question he’d been waiting for.

“Major! Major Silver! Is it true you claim to have evidence that your sister is responsible for the economic downturn and the resulting executive orders permitting the mining in the Southern Wildlife and Habitation Preserves?”

Major Silver stopped on the steps and asked the reporter to repeat his question. He needn’t have as Major Silver had helped write it the night before when Lt. Faller presented  copies of the executive orders his sister has signed. The repeating of the question was for the benefit of the other reporters.

As they stood and waited for his reply, Major Silver took a deep breath. No turning back from this one Kevin. Better do this right the first time. “Yes, it is true I have evidence that my sister conspired with enemies of the State of Negushivo to rape our world. I even have reports of a munitions plant being set up for the profit of the Word of Blake. No Negushivan will see a hundredth-eagle of this money because it all goes to the Word of Blake and by extension, Captain-General Thomas Marik.”

“Worse, while we sweat and toil and burn our life’s blood, the Mariks will profit from our slow death. The raping of Negushivo must be stopped and I will gladly be the instrument of it’s execution.” Major Silver paused to let the comment sink in. He was openly declaring against his sister’s rule. “I will not sit idly by and watch as the necessary ecology of Negushivo is destroyed for shortsighted gain. Many of the plants and animals in the Southern Wildlife and Habitation Preserves were genetically engineered by Star League scientists to keep Negushivo from returning to the frozen wasteland it was before we came here. Many of those species are irreplaceable as they live nowhere but here. This cannot be allowed.”

“Negushivo profited without mining in those necessary Habitat zones. Yes, it’s harder and less profitable, but there has to be a limit on the value of profit at the expense of our eventual killing of the non-natural ecosystem we have created here. We can turn the economy around as we always have, through trade and tourism. We have many natural resources to exploit beyond our limited but valuable mineral wealth. Our educated workforce is one.” Major Silver let his tone become harsh and sinister. “But instead, my sister brings in outside contracted workers to make the profits, so she can exacerbate the economic woes we’ve been facing and push for even more extreme measures.”

“I have the evidence. I will present it to anyone that wishes to see it for him or herself, noble and common-born alike. See it with your own eyes and learn the truth that has been hidden from you the past few years. My sister has sold this nation to the Mariks for her own power and greed. I intend to stop her. I will not abandon Negushivo again. No more questions.” And Major Silver pushed his way past the reporters and their shouts of questions.

Once safely inside the Ferret, Major Silver could relax. As they took to the air, Major Silver tried to relax for the flight back to his estate… he only had a half-hour to relax.

Sergeant Chi Lin’s voice came over the intercom. “Major Silver, radio report coming in. On VOX.”

A broadcast radio message boomed through the back of the transport helicopter. “Once again, following an announcement of open rebellion against his sister, the Countess Alessandra Marie Silver, Lord Kevin Charles Silver has been charged with treason against the State and ordered arrested. Word of Blake Militia has mobilized its forces to secure the Royal Palace against any retaliatory strikes the rebel Kevin Silver may make. Keep tuned to this station for further updates on this shocking story.”

Major Silver clicked the intercom off. “It’s begun.”

Register