Author Topic: Eriance's Custom 'Mech design thread  (Read 85782 times)

Eriance

• Corporal
Re: Eriance's Custom 'Mech design thread
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2011, 12:04:12 »
I threw the Helicopter sketch out. Didn't really like how It looked after really looking at it for a while. The body was kind of bent and the only all design was a bit whacky. I have a new one designed, though, although only roughly sketched.
The Sentient Mushroom

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2011, 13:27:43 »
Do you mind if I do a design for the Lei Shen? I quite like it.

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 25 May 2011, 18:03:08 »
Design as in weapons/equipment load? Or a 3D model? I made the following, which SSW tells me overheats like crazy:

Tech: IS
Weight: 65 Tons
Engine: 260 Light
-Heat Sink: 16[32]
Movement: 4/6/4
Internal Structure: Endo-Composite
Gyro: Compact
Cockpit: Torso-Mounted
Armor: 11.5 tons Light Ferro-Fibrous

Weapons and Equipment:

-L-PPC w/ Capacitor (Turret) - H
-Case II - H
-ER Large Laser - LA
-2 ER Medium Lasers - LA
-SN-PPC w/ Capacitor - RA
-Jumpjet - LT/RT/LL/RL

You can make whatever design you what, however, although know that the finished art will reflect the build I have here.

Donated this to Centurion13's fan-made TRO. Was an old sketch just sitting around with no use.

« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 18:38:05 by Eriance »
The Sentient Mushroom

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 25 May 2011, 18:43:51 »
I was just talking about designing the stats.  I did a 100 ton build with 3/5/3 movement, called the dorsal gun a light gauss that is in the left torso on paper (like the marauder AC/5), the two gatling guns are RAC/2s, and the left arm energy weapon is a heavy PPC, with a small pulse laser mounted underneath.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 28 May 2011, 12:20:52 »

Nice

lets see it seems to have a pair of missile launchers under the wings, a pair of auto cannons above the wings and possibly what looks like a laser cannon in that turret looking thingy under the cockpit.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #35 on: 28 May 2011, 20:17:05 »
This is kind of um...yeah........

W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 29 May 2011, 13:01:35 »
Ok, and Your point being...?
« Last Edit: 29 May 2011, 13:06:52 by Eriance »
The Sentient Mushroom

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #37 on: 29 May 2011, 13:09:50 »
I'm not seeing that much of a similarity.
Maker of big things.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #38 on: 29 May 2011, 16:52:39 »
Ok, and Your point being...?

It's pretty close. Especially when considering the lawsuit(s) HG have filed in the past blocking even the re-seen images from being used. Of course, I'm no lawyer. Just noticed a visual similarity.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 29 May 2011, 17:51:39 »
I do not see much of a similarity, sure theirs a little bit, but their quite different, the engine layout is different as is the wings, the mid fuselage is also noticeably different as is the cockpit area.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 29 May 2011, 18:23:01 »
Personally, I think the only similarities are covered by the fact that aircraft tend to have to have a lot of the same physical structures in order to be able to fly and be controllable in the air.

Eriance's design has fixed wings, the model shown has variable geometry wings, eriance's has rudders, the model shown does not, probably the only really strong similarity I see between them is the general shape of the nose and cockpit area, and the fact that they both have canards, but almost any plane has that same general shape in the nose and cockpit area.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #41 on: 30 May 2011, 03:46:31 »
Amused by notion of Legioss' wings being just canards :)

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 30 May 2011, 11:59:54 »
It's pretty close. Especially when considering the lawsuit(s) HG have filed in the past blocking even the re-seen images from being used. Of course, I'm no lawyer. Just noticed a visual similarity.

Perhaps this will offer a new perspective on just dissimilar the two designs are.

On the left, the Mospeada Legioss + the Booster unit. On the right, mine. The differences are obvious, and any similarity outside the fact that they booth look like fat planes is trivial. I mean, just look at the right amount of right angles the Mospeada plane has compared to mine.

For one, my plane isn't even part of the Canon Battletech universe, nor was it bought by CGL to be published as such. It was a recycled plane that I based off of a failed sketch of the Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter. It doesn't transform like a variable fighter/LAM, nor does it carry a gun. That alone means HG has no case other than to annoy. So Unless HG somehow managed to copyright "jet fighter" under their intellectual properties umbrella, I don't see what they have to sue for.  ::)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The one subject of aerospace fighters, I found this lying around.

Was originally planned to be the 'Warthog" - a Battletech version of the A-10, but the previous attempt had a myriad of perspective problems. I corrected most of the issues I could last night. I have no written stats for this thing other than RAC-5, 2 Large Pulse Lasers, 2 MML-7s, 4 RL-20s, 2 ER Medium lasers (R), 2 AMS and a targeting computer; Not even sure if it will fit on the plane within BT rules.

Most of my failed sketches wont see the light of day unless someone had some use for it. If someone has a similar A-10-based design and needed art for it, let me know the weapons load so I can make some adjustments to the drawing and ink it. The image may then be used as long as it and the design remain open to public use and not sold for profit.

Send me a PM or just write it up here.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2011, 12:40:00 by Eriance »
The Sentient Mushroom

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #43 on: 30 May 2011, 13:58:34 »
...It needs a turret.  I realize They aren't supposed to support one, but WTH.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 01 June 2011, 00:01:56 »
I like the 'hawg' drawing.  It's a nice change from most ASF's.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 01 June 2011, 01:46:07 »

Was originally planned to be the 'Warthog" - a Battletech version of the A-10, but the previous attempt had a myriad of perspective problems. I corrected most of the issues I could last night. I have no written stats for this thing other than RAC-5, 2 Large Pulse Lasers, 2 MML-7s, 4 RL-20s, 2 ER Medium lasers (R), 2 AMS and a targeting computer; Not even sure if it will fit on the plane within BT rules.

Most of my failed sketches wont see the light of day unless someone had some use for it. If someone has a similar A-10-based design and needed art for it, let me know the weapons load so I can make some adjustments to the drawing and ink it. The image may then be used as long as it and the design remain open to public use and not sold for profit.

Yes you can fit most of it on, I droped the rockets, but they can be used as external ordnance so no real loss.

I used a 5/8 85 ton aircraft with an XL engine to fit it all.

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 01 June 2011, 11:03:35 »
Are there other weapons I can put on BT aircraft other than the mech weapons? I mean, like pylon-mounted missiles that are single-shot (like real-life missiles)? Or bombs?
The Sentient Mushroom

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #47 on: 01 June 2011, 11:45:16 »
Are there other weapons I can put on BT aircraft other than the mech weapons? I mean, like pylon-mounted missiles that are single-shot (like real-life missiles)? Or bombs?
Yes. Tactical Operations has them. Air-air missiles, singular Arrow IVs and other goodies.
Maker of big things.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #48 on: 01 June 2011, 12:01:43 »
All aerospace fighters get free hardpoints (aka bomb slots) during construction, the number of which is equal to its tonnage divided by 5 (rounded down).

As for weapons, there are the already mentioned Rocket pods, 0.5ton fuel pods, bombs, TAG pods, Arrow IV missiles, the Air-to-Air Arrow Missile, the Anti-Ship Electronic Warfare Missile, the Anti-Ship Missile.  I think there are some more, but I can not remember off the top of my head.  Can't remember if you can mount the one-shot versions of regular missile lanchers externally either.

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 01 June 2011, 12:53:01 »
Is one-shot missile launchers even worth putting on a mech/vehicle? I mean, they weight the same as the normal missile launcher, but an additional 0.5 tons just for 1 volley. I mean for 0.5 ton more, I would rather have a single ton of ammo. I'm not seeing what the advantage is.
The Sentient Mushroom

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #50 on: 01 June 2011, 13:17:15 »
...Think rocket launcher - check sarna battletechwiki for the details if you don't have your books handy.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 01 June 2011, 14:28:53 »
the RL-20 is only 1.5 tons. It's one-shot and +2 hit is offset by the benefit of reduced weight. I'm asking, say, why one-shot LRM-20s would be used when it cuts weight only by 0.5 tons.
The Sentient Mushroom

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 01 June 2011, 15:00:20 »
the RL-20 is only 1.5 tons. It's one-shot and +2 hit is offset by the benefit of reduced weight. I'm asking, say, why one-shot LRM-20s would be used when it cuts weight only by 0.5 tons.

Yes, one shots for most 'mech type missile launchers suck, but that's a weird artifact of the construction rules, i.e. OS missiles existed before rocket launchers were introduced into the game.  Realistically, they were only meant to be used on small launchers when ammo/heat sink concerns limited what you can carry, and you still had tonnage left over.  So they make slightly more sense
in the 3025 era before all the new goodies, but with rocket launchers in the game, they generally are just an artifact of the older rules, and in particular only relevant to older 'Mechs and vehicles.

As for ASF's, wouldn't bother with any one-shot weapons bolted in.  You've got the bomb racks for that- if you go with the 85 ton version that Nebfer figured out, you've got 17 hardpoints to dish out rather serious hurt.  I could see this one decked out with say six rocket pods, a TAG module on a hardpoint, and a couple of Arrows (Arrow IVs take up 5 bomb slots), probably a couple of homing Arrows to act as a flying artillery piece for ground support.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 01 June 2011, 15:20:18 »
On externals ordinance you can fit
Bombs of a wide verity of types, HE, laser guided, inferno, cluster, mine laying and torpedoes (blue water type)
Theirs fuel tanks, each giving a half a ton of extra fuel.
In missile based ordnance theirs, Light Air to Air missiles, Air to Air arrows, Arrow IV air to ground (laser homing and non homing configurations), Anti-ship missiles (for spacecraft), anti ship electronic missiles (EMP missile) and then theirs the rocket launcher (rocket 10s), you can also mount a TAG pod.

Theirs no real need to use "one shot" launchers for the most part, most of the time that your going to use them, it's due to critical and weight restrictions. Like I can not mount an extra laser (TC and or heat issues), do not have the crits to mount a MG or two and ammo. One shot launchers are not ideal but do allow you to mount something their. In the IS rocket launchers have largely over taken their place.

Though the Clans do not have rocket launchers...

RotS-Targe

• Sergeant
  • Don't worry about the paint until the walls are up
« Reply #54 on: 01 June 2011, 23:13:39 »
That 'hog looks Beastly  [drool]
The journey of a thousand blisters starts with a single stumble.

Drake Penn must be written.

Stingray

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 02 June 2011, 21:55:28 »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want this in miniature form!

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 02 June 2011, 22:00:15 »
 [stupid]
Made by HikageMaru

DarkLloyd

• Corporal
  • "Never Say Die!"
« Reply #57 on: 04 June 2011, 11:18:22 »
Eriance. Never, EVER do you disappoint me with your art. even your self proclaimed art "Failures" such as this A-10 remake...... God Almighty that is a beautiful plane. Please, finish it up and ink it! It deserves that.
Col. Adrian Rattliff C.O.  The Ratt Frags - Allied Mercenary Command

The Ratt Fragg's motto for the Jihad: "Nemo Me Impune Lacessitaā€¯ - No One Attacks Me With Impunity
"I don't know who you people are. But I bet I know how much that Mechs' gonna be worth in salvage."
"A lot of people hate the Clans, me, I don't mind them. I just think of them as a "Renewable" resource...... "

Eriance

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 07 June 2011, 19:44:09 »
The BT A-10 will be inked once the two people that wanted to use the image give me the stats and I edit the original drawing to fit their respective designs. Haven't heard back from them yet, though.

Here's a new - or rather redesign, of a quad-gauss Clan mech I drew in 2009.

Over all, it came out pretty close to how I wanted.

Stats:

Weight: 100 tons
Engine: 300 XL-Fusion
Movement: 3/5/0
Heat Sinks: 10[20]
Internal Structure: Clan Endo-Steel

Weapons and Equipment:

-4 Gauss Rifles (ammo: 6 tons) - LA/RA/LT/RT
-2 ER Medium Lasers - LT/RT
-Er Medium Laser - CT(R)
-Active Probe - H
« Last Edit: 07 June 2011, 21:11:18 by Eriance »