Author Topic: Raven Alliance: Enemy Of Your Enemy (And Still Your Enemy!)  (Read 178915 times)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Guests may now take their seats as the new thread has been officially opened
« Last Edit: 13 May 2013, 02:40:39 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Re: Raven Alliance: Enemy Of Your Enemy (And Still Your Enemy!)
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2013, 02:15:20 »
And we are in our nest, morning all.  :)

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2013, 02:35:42 »
What better to post the first time in a brand-new Snow Raven thread but why you love that Clan! I'll start.

Firstly, the totem animal. Ravens, crows and other members of the corvidae family are spread all over the globe; yet they accomplish to be nearly not perceived at all. Humans are used to their close coexistence and man doesn't know much about its close neighbours. Thereby, ravens and crows are the most intelligent and smart birds! And there are scientists arguing they may be the most intelligent animals of all. They are definitely self-aware. Experiments showed, that ravens can instantly recognize themselves when looking into a mirror. Most animals would take their own reflection as a different animal of their kind. A sticker attached to the raven looking into the mirror resulted in the bird trying to get it off. But it goes even further. They're not only able to reproduce human voices perfectly (better then any parrots) but they're able to produce tools! Unique tools for unique tasks! Given a piece of wire, a crow or a raven is able to bend it in such a way, that it is able to fish a little basket out of a tube for getting the treat in there. Crows even manage to read traffic lights. They know that cars have to stop when it's red and they can harvest the nuts on the cross-walk. In Japan, there are crows and ravens building their nests out of hangers to better protect their fledglings from environmental influences like hurricans or earthquakes (or the fire department trying to shoot them down with water hoses). They even have been watched belying other birds and humans when leading them away from hidden food stores they perfectly found next time alone.

But it's not only their intelligence. They're able to fight as well. There's no bird of prey which is going easily into a fight with a raven or a crow (or even a flock of them). Have you ever seen a ravens beak? It's as large as an eagle's one. And they often work together to get what they want. Most eagles try to ignore crows and ravens until they get to bold and then they retreat annoyed. Ravens and crows don't get the same prestige like eagles or falcons, but they don't need to hide either. Actually, they more often win in direct confrontations then they're loosing. (Mostly by being more clever and agile.)

Last aspect of our totem animal is it's huge aura of myth and shadowiness. I guess, there are few other animals getting so much attention in tales, myths and so on. Wether the bird is evil or not, it is always an animal of great power. Encountering a raven or a crow should be always a sign to treat very careful.

Secondly, the clan itself. The mentality of Clan Snow Raven (and its history) match the characteristics of the true animal perfectly. I love that the clan wastes nothing. I love, that next to competence in AeroSpace the clan is known for being the most apt in politics. Our enemies normally realize that they got outmaneuvered by us when its far too late. (I love the introductory fiction of Historical Turning Point: Antallos.) We're the only clan which not only demands military skills but political cunning as well. "The List" takes care that not only the fit are in charge of the entire clan, but those, who are - true to our totem - politically skilled, cunning and roughless as well. Because without those, we wouldn't survive in such a hostile to life environment. And like corvids, we work together in flocks.

Let the Falcons raise their fledglings in false pride. Let the Wolves look down on us. Let all our foes belittle us. We do not care, because it is all in vain. We are Snow Raven and we will knock them down a peg by simply persevering when even the memory of them has ceased to exist.

Seyla!

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2013, 03:19:58 »
yes,,,technically it's morning,and I have to head to the harbor,,,just another day around the way.  ;D
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2013, 08:55:37 »
I should have known the post would start over the weekend :P I liked 3 White Feathers and Black hearts ;) Even though, we're not evil. Just practical. ;)

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2013, 10:14:42 »
You know, we just got 49 pages for this thread left. Maybe we should start a vote for the next one.  :))

But seriously, we can keep all suggestions in mind and bring them up for the next time. I made me notes and add new ideas. (Really, I get new ideas at very strange times!)

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2013, 10:22:03 »
((shrug)) if you don't want to lose track of what you want to name threads, or possibly make a list of the previous raven threads, we can do that over on our fan site ;) I'm just saying. It's a lonely place there since people stopped following StM there :P

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2013, 10:25:43 »
((shrug)) if you don't want to lose track of what you want to name threads, or possibly make a list of the previous raven threads, we can do that over on our fan site ;) I'm just saying. It's a lonely place there since people stopped following StM there :P

Coming over. ;)

Btw: I am considering to join your RPG project, but there are two issues making me hesitate. Firstly, English is not my mother tongue. And secondly, I do not have many knowledge about clan culture. (I came late to getting to love some of them.) Speaking of it, is it a pure forum RPG?

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2013, 10:38:12 »
Pretty much. I've seen you posting here and things should be fine if you want to join, especially since I'll be reviewing RP Posts. There will be some games up to being playing via megamek, but our primary concern is writing the story ;) ... cause that's where our resources come from ;) Isorla is also determined by a combination of the two. Things are different though.

My recruiting thread is here and on The Unkindness if you have any questions ;)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2013, 12:59:06 »
Hey i look in on the unkindness almost every day  ;)

Just downloaded MegaMek now i just need to work out how the bloody thing works.  ???

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2013, 13:05:07 »
Pretty much just like regular B-Tech. There is a file it asks you if you would like to read when you first start it up. It's actually useful for the new players. :)

But for practice:
Add a testbot
Load a mech from the Add a Combat Unit
Go to the bottom of the Add a Combat Unit load screen
Switch from your name to the bot, load a mech for the bot
Go to the select map tab on top, pick a map

You may have to select a direction to start from, on the Select Unit tab, click your name, then hit Change Start, then click the bot, then Click Select start and hit done. After that, you'll see the options on the bottom.

That's the down and dirty way to get your feet wet :)

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2013, 13:24:47 »
If it weren't for megamek I would likely never get to play battletech anymore. I love that program.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2013, 13:30:43 »
If it weren't for megamek I would likely never get to play battletech anymore. I love that program.

Yeah, I feel your pain there.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2013, 13:52:50 »
Just downloaded MegaMek now i just need to work out how the bloody thing works.  ???

Same problem here.  ???

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2013, 14:52:10 »
I think the most complicated thing about Megamek is learning how to Host a game. Connecting to Host Servers and playing is relatively easy :) There are sections on the Raven and CBT boards for asking questions about it if my quick list doesn't help you.  ;)

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2013, 17:10:26 »
I don't post over at the Unkindness because I seldom have anything to say, and there is not much to reply to. It is a shame really, I like having a dedicated Snow Raven forum
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
  • Star Commander Adam Howe
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2013, 17:12:37 »
I'd be willing to run an AToW roleplaying only campaign over there.

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2013, 17:43:57 »
I'd only consider that if it were we had naval interests present in the plot. I would be Raul Rodriguez, the finest Disco Elemental EVAH!!!

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2013, 17:46:54 »
I'd only consider that if it were we had naval interests present in the plot. I would be Raul Rodriguez, the finest Disco Elemental EVAH!!!

I could work up something involving ship's crew.  Perhaps bridge crew.

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2013, 17:51:06 »
Post it up there and see if you get some bites. :) Took me a bit to get the interest I have in my unit.

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2013, 17:52:04 »
Post it up there and see if you get some bites. :) Took me a bit to get the interest I have in my unit.

I'll see what I get here first.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2013, 18:14:08 »
How does your leader survive in the periphery without being burned as a witch?
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2013, 18:43:13 »
Asbestos underwear

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2013, 18:53:51 »
I rather take your shiney bird toys anyday. Well at least in my Clan Hells Horse way, or my Clan Iron Dolphin if you prefer. Either way, thems shiney enough for me!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2013, 04:26:02 »
Swap ya for some ground toys.

As for "how does your leader survive?",,,,we have know idea,it isnt our fault.  ;D
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2013, 06:28:24 »
Oh wow, I look away for the weekend and a new thread starts, cool name :)
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2013, 06:30:04 »
We Ravens always come up with a cool name ;)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2013, 16:38:40 »
It feels kind of strange seeing a Raven thread with only two pages. :( :))

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2013, 16:55:32 »
Don't feel bad.  We'll exceed that in no time.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2013, 17:34:07 »
Only two pages now, but how many closed threads are we on?

— From a post on rpg.net

Register