Author Topic: Palomino (CHH 15T Quad)  (Read 8773 times)

Suralin

• Lieutenant
Palomino (CHH 15T Quad)
« on: 05 October 2013, 10:30:12 »
Code: [Select]
Palomino

Mass: 15 tons
Chassis: ProtoMech PLM
Power Plant: 90 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 54.0 kph
Maximum Speed: 86.4 kph
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: None
Armor: ProtoMech Standard P-15Q
Armament:
- 1 ER Micro Laser
- 1 Series 7M ER Medium Laser
- 1 LRM-10 Rack
Manufacturer: Swedenborg Heavy Industries
Primary Factory: Kirchbach
Communications System: Proto Type-4
Targeting and Tracking System: Proto-Enhanced, Model 5-A

Equipment Mass (kg)

Internals: Adv. Composite     1500
Engine:         90 Fusion           3000
Walk MP: 5
Run MP: 8
Jump MP: 5      750
Gyro: n/a        0    
Control Sys: Clan Heavy      750
Armor Factor: 60 pts Standard     3000

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head     4   9
Torso    15 25
Main Gun    2   6
Legs    16 20

Equipment Location Mass (kg)
cLRM-10            MG               2500
@LRM (9)            T                750
cerMLAS            MG               1000
   5 HS                             1250
cerµLAS             T                250
   1 HS                              250

Overview:
   Despite their Abjuration, the Nova Cats have produced a number of impressive 'Mech designs -- impressive enough that the other Inner Sphere Clans will (often grudgingly) admit it and attempt to emulate it. One such design was the 75-ton Sphinx, well-respected even by traditionalist Clan warriors for its withering firepower and logistical efficiency.
   The Hell's Horses Clan attempted first to emulate the Sphinx, which became troublesome due to the limited availability of the extra-light 375 engine. Though Khan Kabrinski was confident his warriors could win some of these engines in Trials of Possession against the Bears or Sharks, an alternative plan became more attractive.
   It was pointed out to the Khan that, while a modified Sphinx-analogue would likely perform fairly well, it would be far easier and cheaper to mass-produce ProtoMechs which, collectively, would have more redundancy, less heat buildup, and more armor. This mentality led to the Procyon Quad-Proto, the radical Svartalfa glider Protomech, and its terrifying missile-support variant (nicknamed "SvartBeta" by a young RAF analyst). The Horses then attempted to pioneer Omni technology on Protomechs with the Unicorn.
   In a fit of whimsy, Khan Kabrinski decided that his pet "missile-Sphinx" idea hadn't yet been emulated well enough, and ordered the creation of the Palomino, which was meant to provide the functionality of such a 'Mech, distributed amongst a full Point of Proto's.

Capabilities:
   Because the Omni technology on the Unicorn had not yet been perfected, the Palomino was designed as a standard quadrupedal ProtoMech. As such, it lacks the prestige level of the earlier Proto, but as proven technology it also lacks the recurring glitches that have plagued the Unicorn and kept its production low.
   First and foremost in the technicians' minds, however, was coming as close to the performance of a 75-ton BattleMech as a Point of Protos could. To this end, they built the heaviest ProtoMech the frame could handle -- fifteen tons -- and added an engine sufficient to push it to 86 kilometers per hour. A quintet of jumpjets, one in each leg and another in the "belly", gives the Palomino impressive tactical maneuverability as well.
   Weaponry consists of an LRM ten-rack, off-the-shelf, and an extended-range medium laser, with a micro-laser in the torso to deal with infantry. The combined weight of the heat sinks means that the LRM rack can only fire nine volleys before the pilot must reload. This was seen as a desirable trait, though; the Khan thought it prudent to minimize the pilots' time in combat, and hopefully slow their mental destabilization somewhat.
   The Palomino's armor is heavily stylized, resembling (as one would expect) an idealized equine. The armor is also incredibly thick for a 15-ton combat unit; the torso armor is able to stop even a Heavy Gauss slug, while the reinforced leg armor is proof against assault-class autocannons.
   The preferred tactic for Palomino pilots is pack-hunting. Lighter 'Mechs and vehicles can be taken down with near impunity, given their general lack of weapons that can hurt such thickly-armored ProtoMechs. Larger targets that can't be outranged or effectively swarmed, can usually be outrun.

Deployment:
   With the ongoing pullback from the former Pirate Kingdoms eating up their logistics, the Horses have only recently begun outfitting their units with the Palomino. The 71st Mechanized Cavalry and the 22nd Mechanized Assault have received the majority of these units, though a few have filtered into other units, mainly along the Wolf border.
   Fairly soon after the Palomino's debut, Horse ProtoMech pilots began petitioning the Khan to declare it a totem design of the Clan, much as the Balius is for the Clan's 'Mech forces. Though the pilots' fervent mutterings about "becoming majestic hoofbeasts" somewhat unnerved the Khan, he acquiesced to their request, seeing it as another useful symbol to rally the Clan behind.
   The Diamond Sharks -- now Sea Foxes once again -- briefly attempted to win rights to the Palomino in a few Trials of Possession. However, between the Horses' zealous defense, and the fact that the Foxes have found ProtoMech sales generally lacking, they have given up and allowed the Horses to retain exclusivity.

Variants:
   The most common variant (besides the standard one) fields an extended-range large laser in the turret. It removes the jump jets and a quarter ton of armor from the torso and legs to free up weight for the heat sinks.

Jump MP: 0        0

Armor Factor: 55 pts Standard     2750

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head     4   9
Torso    15 22
Main Gun    2   6
Legs    16 18

cerLLAS            MG               4000
  12 HS                             3000

Another minor variant keeps the main weaponry intact, but switches out the micro laser for a machine gun and ammo, so as to be more useful against enemy infantry.

cLRM-10            MG               2500
@LRM (9)            T                750
cerMLAS            MG               1000
   5 HS                             1250
cLMG                T                250
@LMG (50)                            250

The Horses occasionally field a variant that strips all the weaponry in favor of a turret-mounted Protomech AC/8. The gun has enough ammo for five volleys, which, between a Point of Protos, is enough for a short Clan Trial against a 'Mech or vehicle opponent. It's not expected that this variant will show up much, outside of the heavily ritualized trappings of Clan honor duels.

cPAC-8             MG               5500
@PAC (5)     T                500

CloaknDagger

• Major
Re: Palomino (CHH 15T Quad)
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2013, 13:40:17 »
Nice. I like it.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2013, 09:59:49 »
As if we needed anymore proof that Protomechs are scary.

The only nitpicks I have are the loadouts for total min-maxing- namely, the prime should just have the LMG instead of the micro laser and the large laser variant gaining resistance to an AC/20 on the body and legs is two points of armor are moved accordingly.  I gotta love the design with the PAC/8, however-  it always seemed strange that a Protomech was expected to carry such a huge gun, even tho they had to be superheavy to fully utilize one.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2013, 13:50:11 »

The only nitpicks I have are the loadouts for total min-maxing- namely, the prime should just have the LMG instead of the micro laser and the large laser variant gaining resistance to an AC/20 on the body and legs is two points of armor are moved accordingly.  I gotta love the design with the PAC/8, however-  it always seemed strange that a Protomech was expected to carry such a huge gun, even tho they had to be superheavy to fully utilize one.

Not to mention that ballistics are just terrible on Protos anyway, and Clan designs in specific.

Although if there was a 3-5 ton gauss rifle, that would be great.

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2013, 19:53:36 »

The only nitpicks I have are the loadouts for total min-maxing- namely, the prime should just have the LMG instead of the micro laser and the large laser variant gaining resistance to an AC/20 on the body and legs is two points of armor are moved accordingly.

Well, I didn't want it to be completely munchy. ;)

Thanks for the praise good sir :D

Although if there was a 3-5 ton gauss rifle, that would be great.

Funny you should say that. I actually made an IS Small Gauss and shoved one onto a variant of the Huwei Quan a while back. It's 6 tons, and only does 4 damage, but otherwise fits the bill. Shame I couldn't fit much ammo on there, though. #P

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2013, 20:32:24 »
Well, I didn't want it to be completely munchy. ;)

Thanks for the praise good sir :D

Heh, sadly at that point it's hard not to be.  And you're welcome, by the way.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2013, 19:45:30 »
I like the idea of this proto.

I made a version that doesn't drive the pilots insane:

Wolfpack Superheavy Protomech
Mass: 15 Tons
Chassis: Bipedal
Power Plant: 90 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 4 kph
Maximum Speed: 6 kph
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Jet Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Standard Proto armor
Armament:
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

Type: Wolfpack None
Technology Base: Clan (Wars of Reaving)
Tonnage: 15
Battle Value: Incomplete

Equipment:                        Mass
Internal Structure:                1500 KG
Engine:               90           3000 KG
     Walking MP:      4
     Running MP:      6
Heat Sinks:           5          1250 KG 
Cockpit:                          750 KG 
Armor Factor:         72          3600 KG 
                Internal       Armor
                Structure      Value
   Head            4             9 
   Torso           15             29 
   R/L Arm       4/4          6/6
   Legs            8             16 
   Main Gun        2             6 

All Weapons and Ammo    Location    Mass(KG)
LRM 5 (2)                      MG          2000   
LRM 5 ammo (27)                      MG          1215   
ER Medium Laser(1)                      T          1000   
Machine Gun(1)                      T          250   
Machine Gun ammo (12)                      T          60   

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2013, 19:52:42 »