Author Topic: (Answered) (Errata) Rank trait requirements for mechwarriors/aerospace pilots  (Read 3106 times)

Salvelinus

• Recruit
I recently purchased and read through AToW (PDF version), and I have two questions about rank trait requirements for mechwarriors and aerospace pilots.  Military school-trained mechwarriors and aerospace pilots are required to have the rank trait for their basic training/basic training (naval) fields (p. 84).  In addition, the general rank table (p. 124) seems to suggest that an enlisted mechwarrior/aerospace pilot should have at least a +5 TP rank trait (i.e., E5 rank or greater).

The sample mechwarrior presented in AToW (p. 94) has a +5 TP rank trait, which supports that idea, but the sample aerospace pilot (p. 96) only has a +4 TP rank trait.  The sample aerospace pilot does not have all of the skills from the officer training field, so I assume the pilot’s rank is E4, which doesn’t seem to agree with the general rank table.  All of that leads to my questions:

1.  Is the E5 rank intended to be a hard and fast requirement for enlisted mechwarriors and aerospace pilots?

2.  If not, then what would be the significance (if any) of an enlisted mechwarrior or aerospace pilot holding a rank below E5 (e.g., might that represent something like receiving a demotion, or going through family training rather than attending an official military academy)?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2017, 19:47:01 by Xotl »

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Rank trait requirements for mechwarriors/aerospace pilots
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2017, 15:13:53 »
1: Yes. (This does mean the archetype has a problem)

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.