Author Topic: It's a bird! It's a plane! No it's Superman's younger, female cousin: Supergirl!  (Read 77381 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
I have to say that I felt that the "dragged all the prisoners out of the Phantom Zone behind your ship" is the absolutely worse explanation for a character's rogues gallery that I've ever seen in a superhero TV show.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
They weren't in the phantom zone. They were on a space station.  From the looks of it, Kara's ship used something akin to an Alcubierre warp drive, and it engaged perhaps a bit earlier than otherwise wanted, putting the station in the bubble of space warped by the drive.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
It looks ok, haven't watched it. Will wait for a couple of more episodes.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
They weren't in the phantom zone. They were on a space station.  From the looks of it, Kara's ship used something akin to an Alcubierre warp drive, and it engaged perhaps a bit earlier than otherwise wanted, putting the station in the bubble of space warped by the drive.

No, her ship drifted through the Phantom Zone on its way to Earth and was caught there for so long that she wound up failing to make it to Earth until after Superman was older than she was, despite her having been 13 when Krypton exploded.  The space station was in the Phantom Zone and got towed out by her ship when it finally departed- the show explicitly said that.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Well, the drive actually still could have pulled it out as a eddy.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Sure, but it's a stupid origin for the villains: yeah, I ended up accidentally towing an alien Supermax to Earth, and all these super-powered criminals managed to stay off the radar for a decade until I decided to wear a costume and fight crime.  Superhero shows are just too addicted to making the villain origins have some relation to the hero.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Ah, I see . . . too pat.  All them sentenced by her mother, etc . . . I actually would be sort of willing to give a pass on this since Arrow did not really use that method, Flash has but its more along the lines of 'the accident made me special, and it made you special too!'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Yeah, it's like if a cop show had to figure out some way for ever criminal in an entire season have some sort of coincidental relationship to the main character.

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
The problem with the show is "Why have the villians been on Earth for 10+ years (with superpowers, assuming they're Kryptonian), and not done anything in those ten years?"  Why didn't Superman wipe them out shortly after they landed?  Why is he letting his rookie cousin deal with them when he could, even now, take them out without even breaking a sweat?

Worst.  Supervillian.  Origin.  Story.  Ever.
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
just a few issue with the pilots.  Most having to do with standard pilot stuff but at least they didn't screw her up too much from her original character.  Main issue is why superman is such a *$)* to her.  He leave her alone for years.  never comes around and visit and just when he send her a gift he does it secretly.  Two why are the villian worried about her stopping them when they stll have to get past her cousin? shouldnt there focus be about killing both her and superman??    Basically, its an issue that you have with a lot of comic character.  how you can make her story revolve around one character and include some of his supporting staff and not have that person make an appearance.   Having watch youtube about her character i shouldn't be surprise how he treats her since that actually how he treated her when she original show up.

Because in Supergirl's 1959 origin story, Superman stuck her in an orphanage and forbade her to use her powers in public.  The modern Supes at least sets her up with parents and a family.

Silver Age Superman was kind of a jerk.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Marwynn

• Major
Pretty decent second episode. That new villain's a bit awkward with her lines, but I suppose they'll grow into it.

It was a fun episode. Kara's learning the ropes, being all arrogant and stuff. It's a little odd that her parents haven't called once to check in on her.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
I am liking this series but the only issue I have with it is Jim "Jimmie" Olson.  I get that time has passed and that he was probably a nerdie kid back in the day but he should still be a nerd even today.  That is my only complaint about the show other than that I like this series.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Skyth

• Lieutenant
So what is Crenshaw?  I was going to say Red Tornado but he's showing up in the next episode.

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
Hank Henshaw.  DC's surrogate Reed Richards.  His wife, and two best friends died from radiation poisoning, related to a space trip, and he blamed Superman.  He later replaced his own cancer-ridden body with cybernetics and cloned DNA from Superman, and passed himself off as Superman after the real one died fighting Doomsday.  Also known as Cyborg Superman - not to be confused with Cyborg or Superman.
That's the pre-Flashpoint version.  No clue on current or what they have planned for the show.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Hank Henshaw is...

MARTIAN MANHUNTER!!!!

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
That would work for me Ruger

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
Hank Henshaw is...

MARTIAN MANHUNTER!!!!

Ruger
Yep.  Pretty !@#$% cool.  First time I've had a "That's frigging sweet!" moment watching a TV show in a LOOOOONG time.
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

Skyth

• Lieutenant
Yeah...it fell in place for me right before the last part of the reveal.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
So who is the other person who knows?

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
While it is a cool reveal, I can't help but be disappointed in the way it was done.

Imagine you are a viewer who isn't familiar with the comics. The reveal would totally fall flat. "He's a green guy named John Jones? Huh? Am I supposed to know who that is? The music and the framing of the scene sure makes it seem like I should. And what kind of alien is named John Jones, anyway?"

That scene was pitched to those of us who know the character and will automatically think it's cool. It should have been aimed more at non-comic reading viewers.

Other than that disappointment (which, admittedly, is rather mild because... well, J'onn J'onnz!), excellent episode.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
It was clear to me the moment he mentioned Mars.
But yeah, if you have no idea who Martian Manhunter is, the whole reveal is very anticlimactic. Still, for me it was great :)

So ... who is the other person who knows? Superman?
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
And here I told a friend over the weekend it couldn't possibly be.  While I don't like the Black Costume, I have to admit it is probably the best for live action. 
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
I guess they really didn't have the time to do a short synopsis of his origins. Maybe in another ep. It's really neat, seeing all the different Justice League characters paraded for us in this show.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Ooh. I think I know how they could link the multiverses, assuming they eventually try. I could easily see the Gorilla City link-up as the key.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Hank Henshaw is...

MARTIAN MANHUNTER!!!!

Ruger

That was an amazing red herring

Also, I did squeal like a small girl at the reveal
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Marwynn

• Major
Supergirl's still pretty rocky, but the show's getting better. Loved that reveal, but hate the fact that Dean Cain might not show up later on. Or will he?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
I think he's someone better left to panhandling on streetcorners in between starring on Syfy original movies.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I do wonder if they'll just stick to the Martian Manhunter being a shapeshifter or if they'll reveal his other powers(no slouch in the telepathy department from what I've seen of him in other media, phasing through solid objects, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else he can do besides shapeshift).

Another thing I've been thinking about is I wonder if despite the adamant no cross over stance regarding Supergirl and the other shows if they could slide some of the stuff they've done from show to show(like put Red Tornado on The Flash) without it being an actual cross over.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
I'm assuming he used his intangibility power to escape the handcuffs Alex put him in. And though it was quick and dark and confused, I'm pretty sure he was invisible for at least part of the smackdown he laid on Jemm.

What will be really interesting is if they use his weakness to fire.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
His escape wasn't on screen so it could be either he just shape shifted out of the handcuffs or phased through them, either power could work for that.  I'd have to watch that fight again and probably in slow motion to see for sure but he certainly showed above human strength.

Register