Author Topic: New to MekHQ - Questions  (Read 47338 times)

PurpleDragon

• Captain
Re: New to MekHQ - Questions
« Reply #150 on: 02 September 2015, 15:22:43 »
OH.  Whew!  Scared me for a minute.   I really like the thought of the aero sanity option being available for those of us who remember the first boxed set of aerotech. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #151 on: 15 September 2015, 11:43:28 »
Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have tried several times to pull a C3 slave out and replace it with a TAG, but after I am done the button to make the changes is still grayed out. That is the only change I am trying to do, making it weight and crit space neutral.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #152 on: 15 September 2015, 17:56:47 »
Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have tried several times to pull a C3 slave out and replace it with a TAG, but after I am done the button to make the changes is still grayed out. That is the only change I am trying to do, making it weight and crit space neutral.

Are you using the version that was released today? There was a bug with the prior version that might be causing this.

If thats not the issue, what does the refit button say when you mouse over it? It should tell you why it is greyed out.
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #153 on: 15 September 2015, 20:33:24 »
Are you using the version that was released today? There was a bug with the prior version that might be causing this.

If thats not the issue, what does the refit button say when you mouse over it? It should tell you why it is greyed out.

Nope, I will have to get that one.

Dogstar34

• Recruit
« Reply #154 on: 17 September 2015, 07:04:38 »
Is there a way to generate a single battle for more than one lance?  I know I can add up to 6 units to a lance, but can I use AtB automation for a company-sized battle?

Can I split my forces between two separate planets to work on different contracts simultaneously?  For example, 2 lances deployed on garrison duty and 2 lances on a different planet for a recon raid.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #155 on: 17 September 2015, 07:13:39 »
Is there a way to generate a single battle for more than one lance?  I know I can add up to 6 units to a lance, but can I use AtB automation for a company-sized battle?

Can I split my forces between two separate planets to work on different contracts simultaneously?  For example, 2 lances deployed on garrison duty and 2 lances on a different planet for a recon raid.

for the first question; yes.  If you are using MekHQ, go to the TO&E and right click on the other lances you want to add to the battle.  They will show up as reinforcements to be added in later turns.  You can modify that by right clicking on them in the lobby in MegaMek.  Then, if the bot forces are not enough to provide the challenge you want, in the lobby, simply generate random army and add the units you wish the bot to have. 

for the second question, no.  That has not been implemented(I don't know if they plan to), unless you run two seperate forces as two seperate saves and run them concurrently side by side.  I'm not sure if that would work the way you'd want as then it would be looked at by the computer as two seperate games. 

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

cmoreland

• Corporal
  • I've got a gut feeling in my stomach...
« Reply #156 on: 24 September 2015, 08:40:45 »
Good morning!

Is there a way to bring in units that fled the battlefield for a later game? Like if I'm sortof kindof 'GM'ing' a contract and a crippled enemy unit flees the battlefield, the very next game I'd like to have that unit in the match with the same exact damage and pilot so my boys and I can finish him off and serve justice. Like he tries to run away and we track him down to an enemy base or something?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 24 September 2015, 09:02:03 »
I think the best way to do it is to save the Unit List either on the turn that the Flee occurs or the turn right before it.

Then in your next game you can import the MUL file delete all the units you are not interested in and taduh!

cmoreland

• Corporal
  • I've got a gut feeling in my stomach...
« Reply #158 on: 24 September 2015, 09:54:30 »
I think the best way to do it is to save the Unit List either on the turn that the Flee occurs or the turn right before it.

Then in your next game you can import the MUL file delete all the units you are not interested in and taduh!

Ok, sounds good. Unfortunately I didn't save until the end of the round so it didn't show up in the MUL :(

I'll have to be more alert to such things next time. Thanks!

VortexRikers

• Recruit
« Reply #159 on: 13 October 2015, 00:47:23 »
As I've been getting used to the general feel of the rules and combat, I've been toying with aerospace in my AtB campaign.
I noticed my 50 ton medium Corsair v-12 has a whooping 73 armor in its nose alone, easily triple the protection of the heaviest mech I've got, at half the tonnage. I'm beginning to suspect that's incorrect and I'm doing something horribly wrong, these things are flying fortresses and the only danger is failing the piloting roll from damage, and plummeting to their guaranteed death.

Are these armor values 'correct'?

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #160 on: 13 October 2015, 01:35:49 »
Fighters only get four locations, not 11, which means each location is going to take way more hits than on a mech (unless that mech is really unlucky). It's similar for vehicles.

On top of that, every hit on a fighter is a chance to crit if the weapon deals more damage than 10% of the starting armour in the location.

Fighters appear tough, right until the moment they fall apart.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #161 on: 13 October 2015, 02:52:11 »
OK, AtB, playing around with some different things so as to try and make it interesting for my players when I get a game going for them.   Using the start game shutdown option, does princess not know how to start her unit up?  How many turns should it take? 

It's a "chase" scenario where I am the one running.  (I'm sorry, I think the attacker should be the one chasing so I have a hard time with "attacker" and running).  As an exercise I thought the chasing units start at deployed at the start but shutdown.  I have "relief" units in the form of VTOLs that have to run to the opposite edge of the map and return before they can engage.  ground units can not engage until enemy units are moving.  I just finished round 9 and all princess units are still immobile.   Would this be a bug, Or have I not waited long enough, or,...

evilmrwiggles

• Recruit
« Reply #162 on: 16 October 2017, 15:39:22 »
I am having an issue with assigning units to a scenario.

I can not seem to replace units as they are injured or destroyed per scenario. 

I have three lances, two are assigned to my current contract.  After a rather tough fight I had to replace a pilot and a few mechs, but now as I attempt to deploy the unit, either the new mech or pilot will not deploy at all even though they are displayed at the beginning of the scenario.

I have tried to remove from deployment both the unit as a whole and each individual and then reassign but it does not seem to work.  I have tried deploying my other units instead since nothing changed with them but now I can not even seem to begin the scenario.  I have tried using the GM option to erase the scenario and await the next but that does nothing.

What am I missing here?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #163 on: 16 October 2017, 16:19:17 »
What version of MHQ are you using?

What is the Battle type?

evilmrwiggles

• Recruit
« Reply #164 on: 16 October 2017, 16:24:31 »

Its all types of missions.  The latest is a defend mission. 

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #165 on: 16 October 2017, 16:29:54 »
use 0.43.4

you are several releases out of date and bug was probably fixed... if it is even a bug.

evilmrwiggles

• Recruit
« Reply #166 on: 16 October 2017, 16:33:10 »
it was the most current on megamek.org

evilmrwiggles

• Recruit
« Reply #167 on: 16 October 2017, 16:35:18 »
i see where it is.  Ill give it a shot. 

I should be able to unzip it without losing my saved data correct?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #168 on: 16 October 2017, 16:36:44 »
Never, ever, ever unzip a new version over the top of an old version.

Make a new folder and move your data over.

evilmrwiggles

• Recruit
« Reply #169 on: 16 October 2017, 16:44:08 »
What would happen if I were to say...Do such a thing?  not like I did, because that would be just stupid. 

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #170 on: 16 October 2017, 16:54:31 »
What would happen if I were to say...Do such a thing?  not like I did, because that would be just stupid.

Mixing versions is a lot like crossing the streams from Ghostbusters.  Can be very bad.  Corrupted campaign files, strange crashs, Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!, Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...,The dead rising from the grave!,Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

But most just corrupted Campaign files.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

evilmrwiggles

• Recruit
« Reply #171 on: 16 October 2017, 17:02:21 »
most of that sounded like fun. 

On another note, last question I hope, does anyone know of a good place for portraits?  On the megamek site I can no longer download from their source.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #172 on: 16 October 2017, 17:46:18 »
most of that sounded like fun. 

On another note, last question I hope, does anyone know of a good place for portraits?  On the megamek site I can no longer download from their source.

I've also fixed the link on our site.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=16345.0
« Last Edit: 16 October 2017, 20:15:22 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

evilmrwiggles

• Recruit
« Reply #173 on: 16 October 2017, 19:56:07 »
I am still having an issue with beginning certain scenarios.  I meet the requirements it seems, but I am still unable to start.  Where would I look for info on why this would be happening.

I have not had a chance to find out if reassignment is still an issue. 

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #174 on: 16 October 2017, 19:58:54 »
have you advanced the day to the day of the mission?

evilmrwiggles

• Recruit
« Reply #175 on: 17 October 2017, 00:13:40 »
Dude, if it ends up to be that simple I may have to just shoot myself.  I am unable to game at the moment, but I will give it a shot tomorrow.  I just noticed there was a date for the mission.  So Im thinking you are right. 

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #176 on: 17 October 2017, 06:27:04 »
Don't shoot yourself.  Just disable the ejection system on your unit commander.   >:D

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #177 on: 17 October 2017, 09:19:24 »
The most common thing that people get hung up on is special missions like officer duel or star league cache scenarios where you have to manually assign one pilot/mech to the scenario.  I think if you dont have any forces assigned to a role (training, scout, fight, etc) it wont generate scenarios except for special ones.  If your still stuck screenshot it and post here and maybe we will be able to see what is going on (upload the screenshot image to imgur.com then paste the image address URL into the post with the [insert image] button underneath the [Bold] button if you didnt already know).

promethium

• Recruit
« Reply #178 on: 23 October 2017, 02:25:23 »
Sorry, silly question but: Does MekHQ do the rolls for reinforcement for you and the bot automatically? Or does it need to be done manually by the player? (As in, the 1 in 6, or 2 in 6 chances of a fight lance / scout lance without a current engagement reinforcing another battle?)
Many thanks!

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #179 on: 23 October 2017, 05:40:17 »
Manual.

I usually check out the OpFor and compare to my assigned forces.  Reinforcements are often indicated due to a major imbalance (200t of Vees for 400 tons of mechs...   #P )