Author Topic: Tips to painting straight lines across detail  (Read 5854 times)

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Tips to painting straight lines across detail
« on: 17 August 2015, 14:50:40 »
I'm working off an idea that if I were to paint straight lines, either vertically or horizontally - to line up my stroke with a line / horizon behind the miniature.....
I have to practice it a few more times, but I think it will work.

Has anyone yet tried this to any extent and found it to be successful?
Thanks!
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Maverick__

• Master Sergeant
Re: Tips to painting straight lines across detail
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2015, 22:31:55 »
Do you mean something like this?

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2015, 23:24:46 »
Thanks, Maverick
Your line-work is what I have in mind; the back-drop / background isn't as sharp (line-wise), that I had in mind, which would be more like a ruled-edge.

Unless, it was what you has used for your lines; in which case, how?
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2015, 15:27:31 »
Try this instead: draw the lines lightly with pencil first.  Colored pencil close to your paint color will cover easiest.  White on top of dark primer should be good as well.  If you're unsure, try a test piece first.  Drawing a line with a pencil is sooo much easier than free-handing with a paintbrush.  You'll find painting within or on the line(s) will be easier.

Maverick__

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2015, 12:05:05 »
I pretty much finished the miniature (red paint, details and weathering) before even starting the blue pin line.  You can draw pencil lines to see if your straight and like where the line will go first, especially for miniatures that are more round (like a mongoose) than straight (archer).  I used a smaller brush and just started free hand drawing in the line.  Check the line for defects:  If the line was crooked or too fat, I would go over with red on the side.  If the line was too thin, I'd go over it again.  It did take a little patience but the line will turn out.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2015, 12:07:32 by Maverick__ »

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2015, 19:37:18 »
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2016, 11:34:11 »
I also use a fine tip sharpie to do lines. They come in a bunch of colors.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2016, 12:49:12 »
When I paint straight lines, I use a similar amount of paint used to dry brush, and I position the brush on the top of the panel, and make a quick, flat swipe. Any curviness in the line can be touched up with some paint.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2016, 12:25:13 »
For the racing stripes across the top of this;

I used 1mm masking tape (Goggle "PMA Super Thin Masking Tape").

The lines may look a little offset towards the front, but if you look closely, there is a little bit off detail that the lines had to "climb up" to continue.

I laid the tape down, painted the rest of the Mech and then removed the tape and painted what was under it purple. If you look at a ruler, 1mm is tiny, but it is a lot on a mini... Be warned though: The tape is so thin that it doesn't have a lot of surface area to grab hold. It doesn't take much to have it peel back up. Also, paint tends to accumulate at the edge of the tape. This means you may have to file or scrape it, otherwise you will have an uneven surface.

Some of what I said may make the tape sound like it is more trouble than it is worth, which is not true. Like any technique it just takes a little practice... It really is helpful, not just with pin-stripes, but also with multiple color paint schemes (I'm looking at you Lyran Guard). It can get in tight spaces and around curves in a way that a ruler would have difficulty doing. Granted, it costs a little more than a straight edge and pencil, which you probably have on hand, but it is still worth it.

Caz

Register