Author Topic: Combat Manual: Mercenaries Beta fan input thread  (Read 90351 times)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Combat Manual: Mercenaries Beta fan input thread
« on: 05 November 2015, 15:53:24 »
Catalyst Game Labs is releasing Combat Manual: Mercenaries in a “Beta Release” PDF book. Until the 10th of December [end of day, PST] we’ll be watching this thread to see what problems the community discovers. At that point we’ll address those issues that need work, and then ship the to the printers. Keep in mind, though, that there’s a difference between “error/broken” and “don’t like it that way” when it comes to the rules; the prior is what well be addressing, not the latter.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 16:20:11 by Adrian Gideon »
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Re: Combat Manual: Mercenaries Beta fan input thread
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2015, 19:10:01 »
There are a couple of typos in the text that make for confusing sentences. One particular case is in the second paragraph of p. 79, "Unlisted Mercenaries": "Doing so not provide access to non-mercenary availability lists..."

Is this meant to be something more like "Doing so will prevent the unit from accessing non-mercenary availability lists etc."? 

Also, is there a way for unlisted commands to get access to the new SCAs in the book? the random roll chart that unlisteds have to roll on does not include any of the new SCAs.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 19:11:42 by Pat Payne »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2015, 19:10:31 »
The example Standard Security Lances on page 95 violate the Security Lance construction rules by including SZ 1 Scouts.

Either the lances should be redesigned, or (my preference) is the lance composition rules should be altered to allow non size 2/3 scouts.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2015, 19:17:43 »
One other one... I don't know if this was intentional, but the Cranston Snord's Irregulars logo in the "Guns For Hire" section does not match the logo in the unit writeup -- the writeup has the usual "Eagle quarter" symbol, the "Guns For Hire" shows it as the reverse of a Buffalo Nickel.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2015, 19:24:39 »
One other one... I don't know if this was intentional, but the Cranston Snord's Irregulars logo in the "Guns For Hire" section does not match the logo in the unit writeup -- the writeup has the usual "Eagle quarter" symbol, the "Guns For Hire" shows it as the reverse of a Buffalo Nickel.
Did that as a compromise. The logo was always supposed to be (and described in text as) the buffalo nickel, but always shown as the eagle quarter. So thought this would give the proper log some exposure.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2015, 19:57:09 »
Page 100 - SHD-2H Shadow Hawk - Deployment
"The light 'Mechs scattered as he approached, but not before he lamed the Locust with his LRMs" I'm guessing it should be maimed or crippled?

« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 19:58:41 by Cyc »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2015, 20:14:12 »
Lame:

1. crippled or physically disabled, especially in the foot or leg so as to limp or walk with difficulty.

2. impaired or disabled through defect or injury:
a lame arm.

3. weak; inadequate; unsatisfactory; clumsy:
a lame excuse.

Nope, "lamed" is entirely appropriate. The modern third use is based on the first.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2015, 20:20:17 »
Did that as a compromise. The logo was always supposed to be (and described in text as) the buffalo nickel, but always shown as the eagle quarter. So thought this would give the proper log some exposure.

Ah.. that makes sense! :) I do remember reading somewhere about them using a Buffalo nickel for their logo, but I'd never seen it in any of the depictions.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2015, 21:21:10 »
Does either "I wish there was more" or "I'm sad that I have to wait for the other manuals to come out" count as input?
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

rooneg

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2015, 21:24:04 »
On page 46 under the Second Kell Hounds heading you have the sentence "Each battalion includes command lance." I presume you meant to say "a command lance".

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2015, 21:32:05 »
Pg. 40, Glory Warriors Write-up:

"A recent dispute among Major Kent’s company commanders led to the departure of Second and Third Companies’ officers."

Should be "Major Clark", as the name is given as "Kent Clark" in other parts of the write-up.
Hayden

rooneg

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2015, 21:38:53 »
On page 89 the rule "Esprit de Corps" is incorrectly spelled "Espirit de Corps".

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2015, 21:59:22 »
Killer Bees Write-up (pg. 48)

The move would *have* adversely affected the command’s reputation, except the Bees publicized the details of their orders and shamed their erstwhile Canopian employers for trying to use them as cannon fodder.
The Bees handled a number of near-Periphery contracts for several years before returning to Lyran service in time for the War of 3039, in which *they/the Bees* distinguished themselves by raiding the Draconis Combine.
Hayden

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2015, 23:16:28 »
I'm going to call bullshit on Waco Rangers not having Wolf's Dragoons as a common enemy.

Edit: They may not be a House, but Wolf's Dragoons have units on the faction list that should probably be extra expensive for Waco Rangers to purchase using the Faction Points rules.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 23:19:26 by theothersarah »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2015, 23:33:01 »
Up until Coventry, weren't the Rangers commanded by Col. Waco's son, not the old man? One wonders if for most of the Clan Invasion period the Dragoons cared about the Rangers, given the Rangers were in Marik service.

A thought ...
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #15 on: 05 November 2015, 23:35:42 »
The Rangers may have hated the Dragoons, but they just didn't get very many chances to fight them.  I think prior to Coventry the Rangers engaged the Dragoons...twice.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #16 on: 05 November 2015, 23:42:14 »
Not necessarily a fan of royal battlemechs appearing in inner sphere units on the eve of the clan invasion, even in the relatively limited quantities described in the book. Wasn't the underlying narrative surrounding them that they were completely extinct in this time period, outside of a handful of comstar examples?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 05 November 2015, 23:56:22 »
Pg. 37, 151st Light Horse, Special Rules

"If using the Battlefield Intelligence and Hidden Unit rules, units in the Dark Horse Regiment with the RCM special
ability confer a BI rating of 3 instead of 2."

RCM should be RCN.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #18 on: 06 November 2015, 00:01:19 »
The Rangers may have hated the Dragoons, but they just didn't get very many chances to fight them.  I think prior to Coventry the Rangers engaged the Dragoons...twice.

I just figured that the Waco Rangers (or at least Wayne) would rather go 'mechless than deal with the Dragoons, but if the definition of an enemy is just based on how often they found themselves on opposite ends of contracts then that's fair.

How is Availability determined? I'm kind of surprised to see Mercenary availability on so many 3050 refits (as opposed to General or being off the list entirely because it's House-specific) and I'm surprised to see the Canopian-specific BNC-3MC as a General 'mech.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 06 November 2015, 00:08:19 »
While not an official answer, it's my recollection that the Free Worlds League were selling refit kits to anyone with cash in hand. The question would be then where the mercs would be getting support to install the kits; and many mercs - including, appropriately enough, the Waco Rangers - were known for the high levels of tech support they had available.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 06 November 2015, 00:30:36 »
Page 89, under "False Flag":

On the turn the controlling player declares the False Flag Units are entering the map, before initiative is rolled, roll 2d6. On an 8+, the Unit has not been discovered as false, and may enter on any map edge, including the opposing player’s home edge. In addition, the controlling player receives +2 to their Initiative rolls on the turn the False Flag Forces enter the map. On a 6 or less, the ruse was discovered

I roll a 7, and the map catches fire? ;)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #21 on: 06 November 2015, 02:17:37 »
Pg 25 in the ComStar sidebar

"To rebuild the hyperpulse generator interstellar communications network severaly damaged during the war between the SLDF and the Usurper Stefan Amaris."

Pg 68

"What is on record, howevers"
« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 02:21:43 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #22 on: 06 November 2015, 02:27:58 »
Several Wolf's Dragoons' units are missing from the Faction Lists. Notably, the Falcon FLC-4N, Firefly FFL-4A, Flea FLE-4 and -15, Hoplite HOP-4C, Hornet HNT-151, and Imp IMP-2E are all missing from the Late Succession Wars list. While some of these might conceivably appear on other factions' lists, the Imp in particular is very much a Dragoons' machine, being that they had the only examples of this early Clan 'Mech in the Inner Sphere. I suggest adding these all in; the Fleas will be shared with the Free Worlds League (but are being contract-built for the Dragoons, and thus are not battlefield salvage and should not cost the extra FP for such) and the Hornet is listed on the MUL as being Mercenary General, but the remainder should be Wolf's Dragoons-exclusive (again, per the MUL).
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 06 November 2015, 06:17:40 »
I know this might be skirting dangerously close to “don’t like it that way” but can we please have the Faction lists broken up and sorted by BattleMech role?

The "eyestrain edition" is rather difficult to use when picking out units when trying to put together lances.

Also, if each sub-category (Brawler, Sniper, Missile Boat, etc) could be sorted by Unit Size, this would help loads.

Basically, something like:

Sniper
Blackjack BJ-2 Sniper BM 2
Griffin GRF-3M Sniper BM 2
Hoplite HOP-4D Sniper BM 2
JagerMech JM6-DD Sniper BM 3
Cyclops CP-11-A Sniper BM 4
Cyclops CP-11-A-DC Sniper BM 4
Goliath GOL-3M Sniper BM 4
Marauder II MAD-5C Sniper BM 4
Zeus ZEU-9S Sniper BM 4

« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 06:24:32 by Dies Irae »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 06 November 2015, 06:25:23 »
P. 29, Crescent Hawks writeup seems to ignore the fact that Jeremiah Youngblood was commanding a LAM lance in the Kell Hounds until 3016 and took part in the fighting on Mallory's World (as per the Kell Hounds sourcebook).

P. 51, "Marie's Golden hammers" needs an uppercase "H"

In the mercenary listing in sidebar on p. 52, "Hansen's Rough Riders" is wrong; the unit is spelled "Hansen's Roughriders".

McCarron's Armored Cavalry sidebar on p. 57 end of second paragraph, they didn't raid Defiance Industries but Kincaid Defiance Industries (a separate corporation elsewhere on the planet).
« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 07:52:39 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 06 November 2015, 06:55:19 »
Not a correction, but a question... why does the Esprit De Corps SPA ignore Forced Withdrawal?  Ignoring morale checks makes sense, but isn't Forced Withdrawal more of a self-preservation thing?
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 06 November 2015, 08:44:44 »
I'm not sure why this is something that I have a habit of doing, but I think there's a mistake anyway:
Pg 116, Phoenix Hawk 3M is listed as an Ambusher.
I suspect it should be  a Striker.

Gordon

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
  • Jeffrey D. Gordon
    • Some BattleTech Posts
« Reply #27 on: 06 November 2015, 09:12:40 »
Typos/Spacing issues:
p80 / Aerospace Organization / Table - Shouldn't the Squadron be 12 aerospace fighters?*
p80 / Aerospace Organizagtion/ Table - Lance should be 2 aerospace fighters not 3
p33 / Third Dismal Disinherited / 1st Paragraph: "conflictsgradually" doesn't have a space between the two words in my PDF :)

* See nckestrel's post below - THANK YOU! :)
« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 09:45:37 by Gauthic »
Demo Team Agent #784

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 06 November 2015, 09:41:28 »
p80 / Aerospace Organization / Table - Shouldn't the Squadron be 12 aerospace fighters?

Actually it is the Lance (Flight) that should be 2 aerospace fighters.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #29 on: 06 November 2015, 09:51:49 »
Page 89, under "False Flag":

I roll a 7, and the map catches fire? ;)
No, the Robber takes your sheep.

"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."