Author Topic: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)  (Read 44845 times)

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)
« on: 25 November 2015, 02:10:20 »
(A search for "The Expanse" yielded no results, so I don't think I've been roosterboyed.)

I watched the first episode on SyFy.com tonight, and it has me interested. Realistic flight physics for space, tensions between Earth, Mars, and the Belters. Interesting cast and crew so far.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
Re: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2015, 02:20:22 »
darn it I forgot all about it.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2015, 04:27:49 »
Don't worry, it'll play at least 5 times before episode 2 airs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2015, 04:55:51 »
Theoretically you can watch it online, or at least that's what their website says...

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2015, 05:07:37 »
Theoretically you can watch it online, or at least that's what their website says...

That's how I watched it tonight - no commercials, even!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2015, 12:54:39 »
If they follow the novel series, it should be rather good. Sadly, I imagine there will have to be a lot of changes, but I'm willing to give it a shot. (Note: novels begin with 'Leviathan Wakes')
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2015, 16:17:29 »
Did they pull this forward on the schedule? My reminder for it doesn't go off for another week? It was slated for December.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2015, 16:29:37 »
Read the first two books, and they were very good - must hunt down the others, and the series (if can be seen in Aus.)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2015, 16:58:12 »
Says it's available On Demand right now.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2015, 17:03:51 »
Well considering I saw a ad on USA Network that WWE Smackdown is going to USA in January, I'm happy that wrestling is moving off SyFy.
Now if they could just change the name back...

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2015, 14:38:11 »
Did they pull this forward on the schedule? My reminder for it doesn't go off for another week? It was slated for December.

Episode 1 is on syfy.com right now, episodes 1 and 2 have their TV premieres on the 14th and 15th of December respectively, IIRC.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2015, 15:38:20 »
Thanks.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2015, 12:20:09 »
I'm confused by the totally unnecessary change of Holden to second officer of the Cant, rather than XO.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2015, 12:50:09 »
I'm confused by the totally unnecessary change of Holden to second officer of the Cant, rather than XO.

He was already 2nd officer. When the previous XO went space buggy, the captain offered him the XO position.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2015, 12:51:39 »
He was already 2nd officer. When the previous XO went space buggy, the captain offered him the XO position.

Yes. But in the book he was already XO. Why create a brand new character, seen for all of a minute and a half, just to end up right where you were supposed to be?

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2015, 12:57:25 »
I've read Up to Nemesis Games... But I'm worried after seeing the cast that Amos is too young & pretty...

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2015, 12:58:17 »
I mean, he looks low bloody Jonny Rico from starship troopers... Grr.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2015, 12:59:47 »
Yeah, I always pictured Amos as taller and much brawnier. But I guess TV has to appeal to fickle, appearance based viewers only. Heh, I kid.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2015, 14:07:23 »
Yes. But in the book he was already XO. Why create a brand new character, seen for all of a minute and a half, just to end up right where you were supposed to be?

Ah, your post didn't put it in that context. Having not read the book, I don't know.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2015, 14:31:46 »
The books are pretty awesome, i love the Noir Dead space feeling of the first one. Really hoping they capture that.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 27 November 2015, 17:04:10 »

Maybe to further emphasize that he's not interested at all in responsibility? Dunno either.

The cast isn't at all how I pictured them in my mind, but that's fine. I did think of Amos as a bit burlier.

The books are worth reading, though Nemesis Games was an odd one. Seemed like an Interlude despite the rather high impact events in it. Next one's out in June, so it'll be a while.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2015, 15:25:20 »
Why not?

It created a context, with how earthers can get "space sickness" and longing for terra firma.

Any show that try to translate literally from book to the small screen is doomed to be a disaster.
I felt it was fitting, it fleshed out Holden more from the get-go.

But if you expect a 1-to-1 translation of the books into TV, you should stop watching, because the show will disappoint you then.  It is it's own creation, and will take its own paths and solutions even if it ends up at the same place. That is a given necessity of the medium.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 28 November 2015, 16:55:32 »
Why not?

It created a context, with how earthers can get "space sickness" and longing for terra firma.

Any show that try to translate literally from book to the small screen is doomed to be a disaster.
I felt it was fitting, it fleshed out Holden more from the get-go.

But if you expect a 1-to-1 translation of the books into TV, you should stop watching, because the show will disappoint you then.  It is it's own creation, and will take its own paths and solutions even if it ends up at the same place. That is a given necessity of the medium.

[applause] I like dis guy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2015, 16:11:43 »
I finally got to a computer that wouldn't hiccup every 30 seconds or so when playing the video.  It looks interesting, but I find the idea of "acceleration drugs" a bit off the reservation.  I think there was also a reference to a 30g maneuver (unless I mis-heard).  That's simply a recipe for human paste last I checked.  We do have the capability to produce that kind of thrust, but I'm not sure we'll ever have the technology to survive it (gravitics are the only thing that come to mind to solve that problem, and those are solidly science fantasy in my book).  And given they were hours from the initial detection, I can't think of a reason for a high-g maneuver (this was separate from the 30g reference... incoming fire is the best reason for just about everything).  Just lower the thrust and extend the duration.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 29 November 2015, 16:41:51 »
30 Gs? Survivable for a second, maybe...

Getting 30 Gs out of any kind of practical space ship? Not bloody likely unless you're riding an Orion, and you'd probably wreck the drive system if you tried that!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2015, 16:51:34 »
Relatively small missiles and ballistic projectiles are the only things I can think of that could get there.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2015, 16:55:16 »
Speaking of incoming fire...

...doesn't it seem a bit much to launch as many torpedoes as they did at the Cant? It's sure as hell not going to outmaneuver them, and I can't see it being so structurally sound as to effectively survive a hit from one*.

* It might have some structure intact, but it's not like it would be in any sort of functional shape.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 29 November 2015, 17:16:06 »
Either they got J.J. Abrams to direct, or they subscribe to the Aliens theory of "it's the only way to be sure"...

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2015, 12:48:10 »
I saw several trailers on YouTube for upcoming Syfy channel series that actually looked promising, including The Expanse.  Sorry I missed the first episode.   :(
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2015, 12:56:21 »
I saw several trailers on YouTube for upcoming Syfy channel series that actually looked promising, including The Expanse.  Sorry I missed the first episode.   :(

It's still up for viewing on www.syfy.com
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Register