Author Topic: Some Clan Omnis in Blender  (Read 3875 times)

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
Some Clan Omnis in Blender
« on: 01 January 2016, 02:32:21 »
I posted these to my deviantart a long while back, but I thought I'd share them here for a more... appreciative audience ;) All are game-quality meshes under 100k triangles.

Reimagined Timberwolf. I redesigned the center torso to look more like sloped armor and less "Shoot Here" with the giant central cockpit. The cockpit glass itself is more realistically scaled and arranged to be less of an obvious target. The general torso shape is intended to be more reminiscent of the old unseen Marauder and as a side benefit the decorative "feathers" behind the central fuselage now become practical as air intake channels.
Weapons have been scaled to more realistic sizes (I started with a model of an LRM round which I made to scale based on lots and lots of math), which does make the LRM tubes appear quite small by the standards of the original art, but all 120 rounds now fit in the "ears" and the missiles are configured for a high launch angle to give a more long-range feel. The front of the missile pods now have phased-array radar panels.

My reimagined Mad Dog gets much the same treatment, but sticks a little closer to the original art. It and the Timbie are heavily derived from the MechWarrior 2 ingame meshes, which is where it gets the triangular pulse laser housings, leg design, etc.

My Dire Wolf. This one departs less than the others from the original art, as the Dire Wolf was already pretty good in its original form. I'm still considering changing the design of the arms to make them look more "flippy" since they lack actuators.

My Warhawk is set up to make the arms look more flippy. When the PPC barrels are removed (all these meshes are designed to be modular) the arms take on a look more similar to a Jenner's arm paddles.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: Some Clan Omnis in Blender
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2016, 04:28:45 »

I love that Mad Dog, nicely done.

Was it hard to use Blender? I have most of my 3D modeling experience with Solid Edge & Catia, but when I have tried Blender I really struggle to get anything done.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2016, 05:07:13 »
The hard part about using Blender is un-learning many habits you've picked up in other programs. Blender has its own workflow and once you wrap your head around that, it's really efficient to work with.

That said, it's much easier to use Blender now than it was when I first started learning it about 10 years ago. A lot fewer keyboard shortcuts to memorize just to get things done!
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2016, 13:15:16 »
Good stuff. Agreed, the cockpits looks much better now. Any plans to skin them?

Also agrred on Blender; once you get the hang of it, it's amazing what you can do  8)
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2016, 03:49:49 »
Finally got around to texturing the Dire Wolf.

Lens flare is cranked up for dramatic effect. The actual paint isn't all that shiny.

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2016, 08:07:25 »
very nice!!

Lens flare is cranked up for dramatic effect. The actual paint isn't all that shiny.

Micheal Bay approves  :D
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2016, 02:16:08 »

The DW shaders still look good applied to the Timbie.

Side note: I'm very impressed with the ability of the Wolf Clan brown/grey/tan pattern to blend into its surroundings. It's a good match to just about any lighting/background I've thrown at it so far.