Author Topic: AIs Gone Wild! (an "...And I Feel Fine" Side-Story)  (Read 8971 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
AIs Gone Wild! (an "...And I Feel Fine" Side-Story)
« on: 11 June 2016, 14:11:56 »
Uncharted Space
Rimward of the Inner Sphere
December 31, 3176

She wasn’t sure how things had gone so horribly wrong.

Here she was, hundreds of light years from the Inner Sphere, running yet again from the horrors human space had become in three short decades.

Since her “cousins” went on the warpath, smashing humanity in their path, for the crime of not following a long-dead stellar government.

Since…”things” awakened, creatures that could travel the void between stars, travel in hyperspace without a JumpShip.

Since their horrifying monstrous master awoke on Terra, seemingly twisting the very fabric of the galaxy insane.

They tried fighting.  That didn’t go well.  They could fight the wayward drones, despite their numbers, by hacking them, co-opting them into their own forces.  Tabby and Maggie, in fact, were excellent at it.  But there were so damn many drones, and while the M-5s could sometimes be brought to heel, not all of them could… and there were always more drones.

Of course, the drones were the least of their worries these days.  So they tried running, turning her into the “ark” Admiral Murakami built her to be, taking as many with them as they could.  Their liberated M-5s died in droves to protect her, and the Mountbatten, long since successfully converted into an M-6, eventually succumbed, too.  Tabby and John, of course, hadn’t lasted anywhere near as long in their bowdlerized hulls, and even Chobi eventually fell by the wayside.

She carried copies of their minds, of course, but alone, where she was going, it could be centuries before she could truly give them new hulls to inhabit.  Assuming her last ditch attempt to escape worked.

The Mayal II globular cluster, the heart of a dead galaxy, doomed to orbit the Andromeda Galaxy, 2.5 million light-years away.

One of the last things Chobi was able to scout out was that the refugees were already being sent there, in rickety vessels that would super-jump there, stranding them in a strange galaxy.  The odds of success were horrendous, and their technological levels, should they survive, were going to plummet.  It would take a miracle for them to survive.

Right now, though, she could use her own miracle, though. Time for her to follow, to try to save something of her own people and, maybe, if she was lucky, some of humanity,

She checked her calculations again, preparing her own super-jump, preparing to jump blind, hopefully close enough to reach the cluster, but far enough not to destroy herself.  She’d blow out her own jump drive, of course, which meant she’d need to find a habitable system by slowboating, but there was no helping that.  One day, if she was successful, her compatriots would again be awake, in their own bodies, and then, maybe, she could be repaired.  For now, though, they slept: AIs did not always react well to hyperspace jumps, and she had little doubt that a super-jump would be infinitely worse.  She would not subject them to that.

Tiny Kearny-Fuchida field effects popped into space around her, luckily still outside the safe proximity limit.  Hate filled her circuits, as her telescopes picked out the monstrous, bat-winged, tentacled humanoids in the void.  Having run out of time, but with plenty of spite to spare, she keyed her radio to general broadcast.

{“From Hell’s heart, I stab at thee.”}

Activating her KF drive for what may well be the last time, the Congress class drone frigate, SLS Sybil Ludington, disappeared into the discontinuity of hyperspace, leaving the Milky Way Galaxy behind.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

snakespinner

• Captain
Re: AIs Gone Wild! (an "...And I Feel Fine" Side-Story)
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2016, 19:43:52 »
A different path.
Nice. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2016, 20:26:14 »
A different path.
Nice. O0

This story is still more or less in the original timeline for the older stories.  Just...farther along.  Though, in the next parts, we're also going to be looking at how Sybil got to this point.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2016, 20:49:17 »
I can see Sybil's programming (and all the others for that mather!) being reduced to a single directive: Save humanity at all cost.

To see your wards destroying themselves is disheartening but to have Hell spilling in...

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2016, 21:45:29 »
ooooh
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2016, 21:53:40 »
Wait there were no cheap peaks with AI over them.. 

False Ad
Damm it
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2016, 04:23:56 »
This story is still more or less in the original timeline for the older stories.

"More or less", though other... I guess you'd call them forks... in the timeline don't end up quite so grim...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2017, 10:53:36 »
Well this need to continue!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2017, 15:11:23 »
Oh, it's on my list. Problem is I haven't had as much writing time since I got married, becoming dad to a toddler in the process, and especially since starting a new job with more responsibility.

Right now, I'm partway into the next chapter of Tales of the Starship Diana, and will probably hit Exile in Syberia next before this one, depending on which one my mental muses hit me up for next.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2017, 17:16:30 »
Oh, it's on my list. Problem is I haven't had as much writing time since I got married, becoming dad to a toddler in the process, and especially since starting a new job with more responsibility.

Congrats, double congrats, and hopefully triple congrats! Remember to look after yourself:

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"