Author Topic: All New Gratuitious Anime Thread, now with more explosions!  (Read 147272 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Because nobody else bothered to start one.

So, to repeat my question from the previous thread, anyone else watching the new Voltron series?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: All New Gratuitious Anime Thread, now with more explosions!
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2016, 05:06:28 »
Won't someone please think of the parody!  :'(

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2016, 05:37:18 »
I think the thread deserves a better title.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2016, 06:54:54 »
Intresting news: http://fowtcg.com/news/force-of-will-the-movie-animation-project-announced-for-2018/

They are making anime movie based on fairytale and legend based world of Force of Will TCG and it's collection of stories from several different studios and directors in style of Animatrix.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Is it Wrong to Talk Up Anime in These Forums? DECULTURE edition!
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2016, 07:30:18 »
There, just gotta fix the opening post.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2016, 08:00:19 »
Because nobody else bothered to start one.

So, to repeat my question from the previous thread, anyone else watching the new Voltron series?

I've started going though it. I'm through ep 5, but need to finish 6.
It's interesting. Considering some of the people behind Avatar/Legend of Korra are behind it, you can tell in the overall humor. The one cast 'twist' I caught by the end of the pilot.
As I mentioned to someone on a different forum, if you're not familiar with the franchise, V:LD is a good starting point.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2016, 11:07:43 »
What are our favorite anime of the year so far? There are number of anime cliches - and in mecha genre in particular - I don't like and outright hate. Iron-Blooded Orphans took many of those cliches, turned them around, and kicked their ass. Even though characters and some of the plot aren't top notch, I totally fell in love with where this anime succeeds!

I'm thinking, but I don't get it ???
Have I missed something?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2016, 11:11:30 »

It's your own fault for failing to reach a consensus. :P

It's interesting. Considering some of the people behind Avatar/Legend of Korra are behind it, you can tell in the overall humor. The one cast 'twist' I caught by the end of the pilot.

Yeah, I'm up through episode 8 and it's been pretty good.  The real thing that surprises me is how little Voltron is actually being used- there's a great deal more that's being done outside the cockpit or just using the lions.  And I think that Blazing Sword has only made one appearance so far.  They're really conserving the big guns for the most intense scenes rather than going for the Once-Per-Episode format of previous versions of the series.

And I feel as if the cast twist was actually spoiled by previews.  I'm sure I read something mentioning it a few months ago.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2016, 14:26:55 »
I marathoned the Netflix Voltron and really enjoyed it.
Looking forward to Lotor's eventual introduction.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2016, 14:51:24 »
What are our favorite anime of the year so far? There are number of anime cliches - and in mecha genre in particular - I don't like and outright hate. Iron-Blooded Orphans took many of those cliches, turned them around, and kicked their ass. Even though characters and some of the plot aren't top notch, I totally fell in love with where this anime succeeds!

IBO and My Hero Academia so far this year are my favorites.
Gate S2, High School Fleet, Kuromukuro, and Twin Star Exorcists are my honorable mentions so far.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2016, 17:38:33 »
Sadly don't get Netflix, so no Voltron.  I do think it has a chance of being a good show because our friends who made Avatar are making it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2016, 17:50:11 »
I've got Cross Ange Volume 1 on pre-order, it should arrive the week following Origins.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2016, 18:04:28 »
Picked up season 1 of sailor moon back at ACEN.  Yeah, I know, it's some hard core stuff, but I remember watching it back in the 90s on network TV so I figured I'd give it a shot again since I heard they went back and undid a lot of the horrible Americanization.  Praise the moon, they fixed Molly's god awful voice.  She no longer sounds like a tone deaf harpy trying to screech out an intentionally bad Brooklyn accent.  Watched the show back when I was 12 and to this day I still wake up screaming from nightmares(well, not really, but it could happen).   I kind of miss luna's old voice, but the new one is growing on me.  If they've changed sailor jupiter's voice, I will have to start a riot(or at least log in here to complain).  Kinda bummed about the animation though.  I thought I heard they had redone it all, but no dice. 

I've heard of shows that stick to a formula, but sailor moon turns it into an art form.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

kato

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2016, 18:32:34 »
What are our favorite anime of the year so far?
Current season: Bakuon and Kuromokuro, although the third cour of Ushio to Tora is really rockin' too.
Last season: Dagashi Kashi and Koukaku no Pandora, with Galko-chan deserving honorable mentions.

Kinda bummed about the animation though. I thought I heard they had redone it all, but no dice. 
The redone version - well, actually newly done, it's a new adaption of the manga - is Sailor Moon Crystal, which Viz will publish in the US from August 16 this year (first cour, DVD/BD box sets). Currently on season 3 in Japan, season 4 already announced for next year. English voice actors for the Viz release are listed on IMDB, seems they mostly went the same way as the Japanese release - reactivating the original VAs used previously. Including Sailor Jupiter. Which for the Japanese release was of course quite a bit more difficult, since the original aired 21 years before Crystal.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2016, 18:49:17 »
Sadly don't get Netflix, so no Voltron.  I do think it has a chance of being a good show because our friends who made Avatar are making it.

Neither do I, but there are less-than-legal sources out there. I'm not 'proud' to admit it, but my financial means are such that going legal route isn't an option.
« Last Edit: 13 June 2016, 18:52:36 by Tymers Realm »

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2016, 18:49:18 »
The redone version - well, actually newly done, it's a new adaption of the manga - is Sailor Moon Crystal, which Viz will publish in the US from August 16 this year (first cour, DVD/BD box sets). Currently on season 3 in Japan, season 4 already announced for next year. English voice actors for the Viz release are listed on IMDB, seems they mostly went the same way as the Japanese release - reactivating the original VAs used previously. Including Sailor Jupiter. Which for the Japanese release was of course quite a bit more difficult, since the original aired 21 years before Crystal.

Damn.  The woman at the Viz booth told me what I was picking up was the new version.  Then again, she also told me there were two different versions of the the season 1 set but that the only difference is the extras they came with.  Turned out the real difference was that the one set came with the first half of season one while the other set came with the second half of season 1.  Jokes on them though.  Since I bought them as two separate transactions, they had to give me two fancy reusable cloth bags.   >:D  (it's the small victories that help me get through the day.)

For the voice actors, I was talking about the differences between this blue ray release at the original episodes that aired on American TV.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2016, 19:26:19 »
Picked up the latest Mamoru Hosoda release, The Boy and the Beast, today.  Will have to find some time to watch it soon.  Anyone seen this yet?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2016, 19:40:08 »
Since it's new thread. Lets talk about the current and upcoming next batch of Animes for the summer!

This batch that Live Chart is reporting on.

Current:
I was looking at it, had mix feelings.  This season (quarter) wasn't as appealing to me, in fact i barely was following it. Which change for me.  I was watching Macross Delta, but i wasn't enjoying as much i wanted to.  Netoge no Yome wa Onnanko ja Nai Omotta? aka And you thought there is never a girl online? - was my light comedy hit of the season for me.  It was been enjoyable. Action wise wasn't Macross as much as i had was hoping, the Macross 7 vibe with music conquerors all (good and bad) was not angle i like about the series.
Kuromukuro was sleeper action favorite, it has it issues but wasn't bad.  I'm bit of a snob when it comes to mecha anime, frankly i don't like way cgi sometimes comes out for it.  Story show is interesting as heck, combat pretty good as well with characters topping the list.

What is to Come: Summer!
From Live, it looks like a lot of not certain for me. There so many that can go either way!
Taboo-Taboo - Martial Arts/Mystery/Scifi/supernatural etc - Its looks like it has interesting story about boy who tries defend the weak, when he is given a special tattoo which gives hims powers.

Seven Deadly Sins Signs of Holy War - Sadly only a Four-parter, i enjoyed heck out of the main series.

Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin - War pushes youth into attend military school, to prepare them for the conflict ahead. Hero isn't into the war thing, but may have nack for it.  I read this originally last year as manga, its wasn't bad.  I hope the series lives up to it's name.

There are a bunch of others, does anything catch your fancy, fans of anime?? :)

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #18 on: 13 June 2016, 23:17:26 »
I'm surprised Kabaneri didnt get mentioned there
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2016, 04:48:34 »
There are a bunch of others, does anything catch your fancy, fans of anime?? :)
Other than the obvious: Handa-kun is pretty much a must-watch being a prequel to Barakamon.

The one that'll probably strike my fancy among the non-continuing stuff will be Amaama to Inazuma.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2016, 05:45:09 »
What are our favorite anime of the year so far?

2016 just hasn't been all that amazing of an anime year thus far. My favorite thus far is probably Rikdo & Shiro's Sci-Fi Yuri Action Comedy Kokaku no Pandora, followed closely by this season's Dogakobo 4koma Sansha Sanyo. Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai has been growing on me a lot, and I'm very happy it's continuing into the Summer season. I really liked the supernatural mystery angle from the very beginning, but the shows been revealing the characters charms more and more and it's gotten me hooked.

There's a fair number of good looking things next season:

Re:Zero & Twin Star Exorcists are continuing next season, both of which are really great.

Active Raid, Shokugeki no Soma, & Fate/Kaleid Liner Prism Illya all have sequels airing next season. I hear the plot hits like a freight train in 3rei, and Rie Kugimiya is going to be voicing Beatrice Flowerchild, so I guess I'm stuck finishing up 2wei/2wei Herz.

Key visual novel Rewrite is finally getting an anime adaptation. I always give Key's stuff a try, so I'll be watching that.

It will also have the premier of the Love Live Sunshine anime. The new group Acqours seems just a bit too otaku pandering to me, but I'm willing to give the show a shot.

Also planning on trying slice of life comedies Sweetness & Lightning/Amaama to Inazuma, Amanchu, Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru, & New Game & Regalia, Alderamin & Qualidea Code for the action.

Taboo-Taboo - Martial Arts/Mystery/Scifi/supernatural etc - Its looks like it has interesting story about boy who tries defend the weak, when he is given a special tattoo which gives hims powers.

I really didn't think this looked like something I'd be into until I saw that it ran in Comic Alive. Now I plan on at least giving it a shot!

« Last Edit: 14 June 2016, 09:01:04 by MadCapellan »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2016, 07:08:05 »
Fate/Kaleid Liner Prism Illya all have sequels airing next season. I hear the plot hits like a freight train in 3rei, and Rie Kugimiya is going to be voicing Beatrice Flowerchild, so I guess I'm stuck finishing up 2wei/2wei Herz.
Holy **** does it ever.  Ask Sheng, I made him read the manga.  (He got hooked bad)  If Rie is voicing Beatrice that's going to be hilarious and terrifying...  Anyway, the manga at least keeps the I FIGHT FOR HOPE only it puts some terribly huge consequences on it all - and quite legitimately points that Ilyasviel is the villain.  You'll see~~  But there is enough badassery, planning, cunning, and fighting for any hard seinen series while it's all magical girls taking on responsibility they never dreamed...and not giving in.

and yes i cried ***** tears.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2016, 08:07:58 »
My favorites this season:

-Kuromokuro
-Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
-Flying Witch
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2016, 10:10:13 »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-13/voice-actress-janet-waldo-passes-away/.103183

sad day battle of the planets and jetsons will never be the same to me ....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2016, 12:42:40 »
I'd be more interested in watching the new season of Prism Ilya, if it wasnt for all the gratuitous loli fanservice. The previous seasons actually added more then what was in the manga and were getting worse about that.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #25 on: 14 June 2016, 12:56:27 »
Of all the new anime, my favorite so far still remains RE: Starting another life in another world other than Zero.

Gate was good.

But, I'm catching up on a lot, so I'm still going back to watch Bleach, Sword Art Online, and a few others.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 14 June 2016, 13:00:59 »
I'd be more interested in watching the new season of Prism Ilya, if it wasnt for all the gratuitous loli fanservice. The previous seasons actually added more then what was in the manga and were getting worse about that.

I hear ya. I dumped 2wei midway through because it was just out of control. Between the plot & the Rie, I'm going to have to power through though so I can watch 3rei!

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #27 on: 14 June 2016, 13:52:36 »
I haven't seen any comments on the last two episodes of High School Fleet lately. Can someone care to tell me why?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 14 June 2016, 14:42:04 »
Last episode was the cute but largely irrelevent to the plot Equator Festival. We have to wait til next week for the Harekaze to go back into action!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 14 June 2016, 15:11:22 »
I hear ya. I dumped 2wei midway through because it was just out of control. Between the plot & the Rie, I'm going to have to power through though so I can watch 3rei!
Eh, I can sum up the only important thing that happens in the end that leads to 3rei.

Register