Author Topic: (Answered) Improved Jump Jets?  (Read 2487 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
(Answered) Improved Jump Jets?
« on: 22 June 2016, 23:53:14 »
I've read the Tech Manual dozens of times to try to make sense of these, and even looked them up on Sarna.net for clarification, and I STILL don't see anything that clearly states the exact numbers used by these jump jets.

In the Tech Manual (p.225-226) it says: "A modern refinement upon the centuries old design of standard jump jets, improved jump jets are twice as large and as heavy as their normal counterparts, but can propel a 'Mech further with less heat build-up. of widespread deployment. However, even as of his writing, scientists working for Phelan Kell’s exiled Wolf Clan were working on perfecting a more powerful jump jet system, designed to carry ’Mechs farther and with less heat build-up per jump. The first of these functionally improved jump jets finally reached the battlefields in 3069, and the specs were shared with the Lyrans, Draconis Combine, FedSuns and even ComStar—in the effort to provide any edge over Blakist assault forces. Curiously enough, the Crusader Wolves also fi elded improved jump jets on some of their ’Mechs in 3069, with a few reportedly deployed in their offensives against Falcon-held worlds. This spontaneous appearance may have been the result of Watch agents in the Exiles’ midst, to which Khan Kell may or may not be turning a blind eye during the current crises. –EB]"

Despite the interesting fluff for Improved Jump Jets, no clarification is given or actual numbers ever listed on exactly how much farther or how much less heat is involved.

On Sarna.net it says: "A modern refinement upon the centuries old design of standard jump jets, improved jump jets are twice as large and as heavy as their normal counterparts, but can propel a "Mech further with less heat build-up"

Again, NO clarification or exact numbers on how much farther or how much less heat is involved. Just a restatement of the fluff from the Tech Manual.

Exactly how much farther do Improved Jump Jets propel a 'Mech, and with how much less heat per jump?
« Last Edit: 23 June 2016, 12:21:50 by Xotl »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Improved Jump Jets?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2016, 02:59:36 »
It's in there somewhere.

you can only mount jump jets up to your walking movement, but improved jumpjets up to your running.  So a typical Phoenix Hawk can only mount 6 JJs, jump of 180m, but it could mount up to 9 IJJs, resulting in a total jump of 270m. Each IJJ only gives 30m of jump, but you can mount more.

IJJs weigh the same as JJs, generate half heat, and each occupies two crit slots.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Chinless

• Modicis Amice
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Improved Jump Jets?
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2016, 06:17:52 »
To clarify things slightly, the rules text in TM p225 states you need to refer to p51 of TM for the construction rules and p53 of TW for the game rules.

As Worktroll mentioned, you can mount jump jets up to your walking MP, and Improved Jump Jets up to your running MP. However, Improved ones actually weigh twice as much as standard ones - TM p51.

Rules for heat produced are in TW p53 - "If a ’Mech mounts improved jump jets, the heat from jumping is reduced by half (1 heat point per 2 hexes or portion thereof jumped), to a minimum of 3 heat points."

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Re: (Answered) Improved Jump Jets?
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2016, 20:08:14 »
Thanx, I appreciate that. Try as i might I couldn't find that information.

I really do wish there was one "master" for construction that was clear, concise, and didn't require multiple books to resolve.

Register