Author Topic: Help with Nuke math  (Read 3197 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Help with Nuke math
« on: 24 July 2016, 09:10:01 »
I'm embarrassed, but I am working with the make your own nuke rules in IO and I can figure out what do to with this symbol (^) in the Crater Depth and Blast Radius calculations.

I'm having trouble even finding this symbol online and my calculator doesn't have it.

I'm working with a 1.5kt warhead.

So it's like 1.5 ^ (1/4) to figure crater depth

and

Ground Blast Radius=25x{1.5^(1/3)}

Thanks for your time.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Help with Nuke math
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2016, 09:22:42 »
It means "raise to the power of", which with fractional exponents means take a root.  The crater depth equation is a fourth root (square root twice), while the blast radius is a cube root.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2016, 09:30:24 »
so for the first one, it's 1.5 to the power of 4? I get 1.1 and change for that. Rounded down to 1 Level crater

or maybe 5, depending on how I do it.

And blast radius is 1.5 to the power of 3? and I get 3.375 for the second or a total ground blast radius of 84 hexes
« Last Edit: 24 July 2016, 09:36:10 by beachhead1985 »

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2016, 09:36:26 »
To the power of one-fourth (0.25) for the first, and to the power of one-third (0.3333) for the second.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2016, 09:45:47 »
So it would look like 1.5x0.25 and 1.5x0.3333 ?

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2016, 10:12:05 »
No, that would be multiplication.  The function you should look for on your calculator is xy.  The calculator installed with Windows has it when you switch to Scientific mode (in the View menu).  The calculations from the book might have been more clearly rendered as:

1.5(1/4) to figure crater depth

and

Ground Blast Radius=25x{1.5(1/3)}

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2016, 10:15:52 »
No, that would be multiplication.  The function you should look for on your calculator is xy.  The calculator installed with Windows has it when you switch to Scientific mode (in the View menu).  The calculations from the book might have been more clearly rendered as:

1.5(1/4) to figure crater depth

and

Ground Blast Radius=25x{1.5(1/3)}

OH! Okay I think I found that, so it looked like X3 and then the other was X2, twice, right?

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2016, 10:26:09 »
Except that the exponents are fractions, not whole numbers.  You can either use the xy button with the fractions (1/4=0.25 and 1/3=0.3333) or use the button next to it with the y-root-of-x symbol with 4 and 3.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2016, 11:05:51 »
Except that the exponents are fractions, not whole numbers.  You can either use the xy button with the fractions (1/4=0.25 and 1/3=0.3333) or use the button next to it with the y-root-of-x symbol with 4 and 3.

So I ought to come out with 0.125 for the first and 0.1924 for the second?

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2016, 11:48:21 »
I get 1.1067 (rounded) for the first and 28.618 (rounded) for the second.

The exact key punches I used were:

1.5 [square root] [square root]

The square root key looks like a check mark and is just above the "%" key on the far right (even in standard view).

and

1.5 [cube root]
  • 25 [=]

The cube root key is between the x3 and "1" keys in the middle of the scientific view key pad.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2016, 11:58:06 »
Wow. Not even in the ballpark.

This is why I had to ask. An hour on the net searching myself and i didn't even have a start and then i was still lost in the woods! Thank you!

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2016, 12:49:03 »
No problem... here's a link with a relatively simple explanation of the more general rule for exponents: https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/exponent-fractional.html

Hope that helps!

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2016, 13:56:25 »
It sure does! I may be referring back to this often, over time.

A.E. Housman

Register